2023-2024 Rhythm dance

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
More reality check... we're going to be treated to several Brat Pack/John Hughes movie soundtrack-inspired RDs. We will have at least one Farmer Ted, one awkward Samantha, one ultra cool Jake, and, of course "a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal." And I'll be there for that, right along with the rest of y'all.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
More reality check... we're going to be treated to several Brat Pack/John Hughes movie soundtrack-inspired RDs. We will have at least one Farmer Ted, one awkward Samantha, one ultra cool Jake, and, of course "a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal." And I'll be there for that, right along with the rest of y'all.
In one couple? That's gonna be tricky. They'll have to figure out how to divide everything up: brain/athlete/basket case with a princess/criminal, or brain/basket case/criminal with an athlete/princess, or ...

Karen-W

In one couple? That's gonna be tricky. They'll have to figure out how to divide everything up: brain/athlete/basket case with a princess/criminal, or brain/basket case/criminal with an athlete/princess, or ...
Costume changes! Lol - kidding! Or maybe not, lol. I have no idea whether or not I want to see some team try to be all 5 of those characters in one RD.

Really, what I figured is we would get a princess and a criminal in one RD, and the basket case and athlete in another.

And we'll get Farmer Ted and Caroline plus Jake & Samantha from Sixteen Candles.

VGThuy

I always thought Avonley Nguyen/Vadim Kolesnik would have done an incredible Pretty in Pink inspired routine. Sigh.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Some Kind of Wonderful has awesome music.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
“Modern Love” by Bowie was just on a finale episode and when it starts it sounds like “Footloose”. Another RD option.

All I ask is for a lot of variety, there is so much from the 80’s.

hlp728

I’d like to see a Dolly Parton 80’s Program with I Will always Love You, Working 9 to 5, and Island in the Stream.

Some young team should use “Tonight is What it Means to Be Young” with lyrics like “we’re dancing for the restless and broken hearted” from Streets of Fire.

The Electric Dreams soundtrack has great music from Culture Club to Giorgio Moroder.

I was thinking a Goonies or Monster Squad RD, but their soundtracks would make a better FD. Ghostbusters and its sequel have great tracks from Ray Park Jr. and Bobby Brown. Of course a team would have to wear the Ghostbuster Jump Suit.

Maybe we’ll see a Popeye program since the musical came out in the 80s.

Earth Girls are Easy has a fun soundtrack with ‘Cause I’m a Blonde” and Baby Gonna Shake. That’s such a fun and campy movie.

Karen-W

Who's down for a Weird Science RD? God, the 80s really were full of some of the craziest, campiest stuff ever produced by Hollywood, lol.

Sonata

I mentioned in another thread, but I desperately want a team to skate to Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" - the Oscar-nominated song from the movie "Mannequin". And the team needs to lean into the mannequin theme, while also being overly dramatic, as an 80s power ballad calls for.
I don’t think the song is very good for ice dance, but a program like this would basically be an 80s version of Coppelia and I’m kind of intrigued.

As a Gen-X Canadian, I'm thinking of all the fabulous 80s Canadian music. Any team who manages to skate to Platinum Blonde or Luba will be my faves forever.
Remember the days where Brian Orser (with Tracy Wilson next to him) had Glass Tiger on his tv special at Lake Louise?

Yuri

How about one of the most quintessential 1980's dancy movies...FLASHDANCE? No doubt this soundtrack is dance-oriented!

Irene Cara's classic title Flashdance theme (which builds from slow to fast) and the high-tempo Maniac by Michael Sembello can bookend the fast sections. If a team wants to include a slower section, the minor hit Lady, Lady, Lady could work--but if everything is fast, then throw in Laura Branigan's Gloria which was played during the figure skating scene! Plenty of opportunities for 1980's era costumes for this trend-setting movie.

coralline

Music choices recommendation aside…Does anyone have any information about the technical rules? Pattern dance choreographic Element?Silver Samba or Midnight Blues?

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Last year the technical requirements weren't released until mid-April, so we've probably got a couple more weeks to wait yet.

topaz

I just looked at a short list of musical films from the 1980s, and some that I wouldn't mind seeing:

• Blues Brothers. It's mostly oldies music, but it's all redone by the Blues Brothers and/or the original artists. (I personally LOVE their version of "Shake A Tail Feather" with Ray Charles.) However, Fear/Gibson already did their RD to Blues Brothers in the 'musicals' season just a couple years ago.
  • Grease 2. Such a terrible movie, but man do I absolutely love it (almost more than the original). Unfortunately a LOT of the songs are very poorly disguised double entendres. However, "Cool Rider" is iconic.
  • Little Shop of Horrors
  • Xanadu. Terrible movie, amazing title song. (Bonus points if the woman wears Olivia Newton John's amazing halter jumpsuit)
  • Purple Rain

I'd love a dance to music from the original (and far superior IMO) Hairspray, but unfortunately most of the music is from the 50s/early 60s.
First of all, I love Grease 2 - Who's the Guy, Girl of All Seasons, The Hands of Time and Score Tonight. I have this Album still. Great soundtrack, in my opinion.
Also, Xanadu is a great soundtrack. Olivia Newton John and ELO. Don't walk away, I'm Alive.

topaz

I would like some of the following:

Spandau Ballet - True, Gold - Incredible song.
Def Leppard - Anything from Hysteria would fit but please no Pour Some Sugar. Animal, Armageddon It, Rock of Ages, Photograph.
ABC - The Look of Love or Poison Arrow
Blondie - Atomic, Call Me, Heart of Glass
The Cure - Anything from Disintegration(Album) but Fasination Street, Lullably, Lovesong). Just Like Heaven
Pat Benatar - Love is Battlefield, Shadows Of The Night, Invincible and We Live For Love.
Queen - Radio Ga Ga, One Vision, Crazy little thing called love.
Simple Minds - Don't You-Forget About Me or Alive and Kicking
Depeche Mode - Anything from Music for the Masses(Strangelove, Never Let Me Down Again, Behind the Wheel, Little 15), People Are People, Everything Counts.

Duran Duran - Girls on Film, Notorious, Skin Trade

Last edited:

SidelineSkater

Mannquein - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now, We Built This City
Footloose - Entire Soundtrack!
St. Elmo's Fire - (not that elmo!) Title Song, Shake Down

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information