2022 World Athletics Championships - Goodby sleep (Y)Oregon(er)

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Two World Records in the final session of this great meet overall

Tobi Amusan from Nigeria World Record 12.12 in the Semis and then a 12.06!!! in the final BUT wind was over the legal range so the record is the one from the semis. Silver for Jamaica and Bronze for Camacho-Quinn the Olympic champion.

USA taking gold in both the 4x400m relays, Abby Steiner added a second gold medal to her count. Sydney McLaughling last leg time was 47.90!!!

Women's Long Jump, Malaika Mihambo after two failed jumps delivered when it mattered and showed why she is the current olympic, world and european champion. Gold for Germany that takes a second medal after getting zero for most of the Championships, wonder if they will fare better at Europeans in 3 weeks. Another medal, silver, for Nigeria and a surprise bronze for Brazil.

And to close the championship: Mondo Duplantis breaking once again his record and now setting it at 6.21 metres!!!

I really enjoyed and liked this Championships, given it was in the Pacific Time Zone which I live in and because of those wonderful performances we watched, for a post olympic season.

See you next year in Budapest!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
And to close the championship: Mondo Duplantis breaking once again his record and now setting it at 6.21 metres!!!
And for the Philippines winning their first ever medal at Worlds! And an Area Record for him too!

I didn't get to watch everything, but what I did tune in for - lots of wonderful performances and genuinely happy athletes.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Waking up to gold for Kevin Mayer 🇫🇷 is a great start to the week! :cheer2:

Two world records in the final session a great way to end a championships that had some wonderful performances.

Disgraceful to see so many empty seats on the last day of a championships though. Will be a long time before the US will hold Worlds again.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Disgraceful to see so many empty seats on the last day of a championships though. Will be a long time before the US will hold Worlds again.
Oh, give it a rest. It was about 93 in Eugene today and that's not weather that will get people in the seats of an outdoor sporting event in Oregon. It's a shame that both weekends of these championships were challenged with warmer than usual weather, but attendance looked good yesterday and Friday when it was much cooler.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Oh, give it a rest.
No, I won’t. Smallest stadium to host a World championships in the history of the event in the dominant country of the sport and the organisers still couldn’t fill it on the closing day of competition. That’s pretty bad.

Dobre

Last year it was 110 in Oregon during Trials. (Totally unreal).

It's a fast track, no?

I think they're feeling pretty good about the attendance numbers.

World Athletics Championships attendance tops 54,000 in first three days​

"Attendance at the World Athletics Championships in Eugene topped 54,000 in the event’s first three days, a hopeful sign for organizers after disappointing attendance at other recent track events in Oregon and elsewhere.

'We certainly feel quite good about our percentage of stadium full compared to previous World Championships,' said Jessica Gabriel, the competition’s communications director."

Cachoo

No, I won’t. Smallest stadium to host a World championships in the history of the event in the dominant country of the sport and the organisers still couldn’t fill it on the closing day of competition. That’s pretty bad.
And yet people who tried to get tickets were turned away. I am not sure how to do this but there ought to be a way to fill no-show seats.

I think I have a special place for the US women on the 4X100 team. Two of them didn’t make the final for their race and the other two finished out of the medals. But they did go to relay camp and barely out stepped the surging Jamaican sprinters.

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Well if you compare the attendance at Doha 2019 and Daegu 2011, even though a smaller stadium but Eugene did it better!

We can't compare with the likes of Berlin 2009, London 2017, countries witht athletics tradition and public. It's a bit strange that yes the US dominates athletics but the sport doesn't have that HUGE fan base that follows the sport beyond the Olympics or Worlds.

At least they are starting to make efforts with such as the American Track League, so having a World Championships for the first time at home can be a step to hopefully make the sport one that people follows often beyond the sprint races and those few faces media and NBC shows; to make them understand that indeed is Track & Field like the americans name the sport.

ilovepaydays

So…..just an idea - shall we change this thread title to make it a global championship mega thread with Commonwealth Games & Europeans coming up next month or will those be separate threads? Which would people here prefer?

I have no strong preference except I do wonder if having one thread would make it simpler for more people here.

Last edited:

Seerek

NCAA Div I Championships getting good airtime is helping as well.

We can't compare with the likes of Berlin 2009, London 2017, countries witht athletics tradition and public. It's a bit strange that yes the US dominates athletics but the sport doesn't have that HUGE fan base that follows the sport beyond the Olympics or Worlds.

Sadly, I don't see Germany hosting again any time soon. Malaika and the surprise relay medal saved their meet in the final 2 days.
Even France just had the 1 (gold) medal.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
So…..just an idea - shall we change this thread title to make it a global championship mega thread with Commonwealth Games & Europeans coming up next month or will those be separate threads? Which would people here prefer?

I have no strong preference except I do wonder if having one thread would make it simpler for more people here.
I think separate threads. Commonwealth Games are a multi sport event and well Euros is Euros. :smokin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information