2021-22 ISU Challenger Series announced

Elka

This infuriates me and I'm investigating it. I know that for many not having the on-demand option is a deal breaker when considering buying the stream. :( It's stupid and I don't understand why it's a problem for this event when it's not a problem for any other events.
They probably do not want to pay which is ridiculous as they demand payment.

You can also watch at YLE Areena. They will show it delayed and might not be all, but you can watch it on demand, for a year I think. It will be geo-blocked, so you will need a VPN. They seem to have no problem with licencing.

You can find it here

Just click "Tulossa" on the right side of the screen and you will see the schedule.

ETA: Their broadcasting schedule is better for USA, since they show it in the evening in Finland.

Hanna

Skating junkie
They probably do not want to pay which is ridiculous as they demand payment.
This was my first thought as well and if so, I AM EVEN MORE INFURIATED. Seriously, WTF. I can understand that when it's a free stream, there might not be an on-demand option (although even then there often is). But when they are asking people to pay, not getting access to recordings is just totally unacceptable. Oh well, it will probably make them lose customers and I'm certainly letting them know.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
This was my first thought as well and if so, I AM EVEN MORE INFURIATED. Seriously, WTF. I can understand that when it's a free stream, there might not be an on-demand option (although even then there often is). But when they are asking people to pay, not getting access to recordings is just totally unacceptable. Oh well, it will probably make them lose customers and I'm certainly letting them know.

Please let them know that skating fans live all over the world with something named DIFFERENT TIME ZONES and for many who can and will to PAY for the stream have to do something called SLEEP or WORK (to keep getting money to pay for their events)

And last but not least that we live in a new century with digital, internet, streaming and YOUTUBE

It's a shame this season they switched to this new streaming service, until 2019 their previous partner understood the importance of getting the On-Demand option that at first they didn't have but given the fans asking them for it they ended offering it

I will rely maybe to the Option of YLE delayed coverage if the NO On-Demand option because of the ridiculous excuse of rights issue is not resolved

Last edited:

Braulio

Update

MAYBE we will have an on demand option now they say 'watch live. AND whenever you want'

Watch live. And whenever you want.

Get All Access​

18.9 EUR​

Get access to all streams, replays and videos from Skating Finland.
Valid until 2021-10-10

Hanna

Skating junkie
Please let them know that skating fans live all over the world with something named DIFFERENT TIME ZONES and for many who can and will to PAY for the stream have to do something called SLEEP or WORK (to keep getting money to pay for their events)
I think the more people will tell them, the more effective it will be! There will probably be a Facebook post about the stream soon once Facebook starts working again so a good idea to comment on it as much as possible! Also, e-mail! I'll let you know where you can send messages once I get info.

It's a shame this season they switched to this new streaming service, until 2019 their previous partner understood the importance of getting the On-Demand option
I don't think you can even blame the new service since I searched it quite a bit and there seems to be plenty of on-demand stuff available.

Hanna

Skating junkie
Update

MAYBE we will have an on demand option now they say 'watch live. AND whenever you want'

Watch live. And whenever you want.

Get All Access​

18.9 EUR​

Get access to all streams, replays and videos from Skating Finland.
Valid until 2021-10-10
This is what I'm planning on asking them since it's misleading info on different pages. This one page that you linked says on-demand option is available, I noticed the same. But the other pages say there's not. 🤷‍♀️

Braulio

Kiitos @Hanna

I post a comment before you did and it may be an on demand option

Though share with us where can we send them email and ask/demand for the Replay option or they wont get any money as they can

Hanna

Skating junkie

Does the above link work? :lol: Should be a direct link to the post FT just made on Facebook about the stream. I'd suggest commenting on the post as much you can (as many as can) and explaining that the on-demand option is crucial to your decision on buying the stream.

Also, here's an e-mail address you can contact [email protected] . I already sent them a lengthy message. :lol: Unfortunately my :sekret: don't have more info about the stream.

Sylvia

TBD
I received this reply on Twitter - sounds like Finlandia Trophy will only be streamed live :(: https://twitter.com/Solidsport_FIN/status/1445269646375112704
Hi, there will be no recordings or on-demand available on Solidsport SkatingFinland Channel.
All Access still applies on the whole channel, but there will be no content except for the live broadcasts.
Mitään tallenteita ei julkaista Solidsport SkatingFinland-kanavalla.

clairecloutier

Ugh, I wanted to see the pairs at this event, but the schedule isn't particularly friendly. Pairs SP at 7:30 ET, and pairs FS at 6:00 am ET.

Schedule (7-hour time difference to ET):

Overall event web site:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Another complication for me is that Sunday is Harvest Thanksgiving service at my church and the timing of the events, if viewed live, will impact me negatively.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Haven’t we gotten some pretty good fan cams in the past from this event? I suppose that’s our only hope. 🙁

Hanna

Skating junkie
I also got a lengthy and thorough reply about the stream from the executive director of the Finnish fed, nonetheless. :lol: She said that the copyright organization in Finland (called Gramex) does not allow rights for to music for internet streams of sports associations and such - they only give permits for tv companies. So apparently this was something that was non-negotiable. I have no idea if this is something new since 2 years ago on-demand service was fine (I'll try to ask). 🤷‍♀️

She apologized for the inconvenience and also mentioned that the reason that one of the websites (the one Braulio linked) still mentions "all access" and "watch whenever" (and that stuff) is not up to the fed. They tried to fight this with the service provider (Solidsport) because it's misleading but apparently it's something that's coded into the service and cannot be changed (she mentioned that she's also very pissed about this :lol: because it's misleading).

I still find this very strange as there's a recording of a club competition held just last weekend on the same service. Works just fine. 🤷‍♀️ But I'm sending a follow-up email and see if I can still get more answers. :lol:

Anyway, looks like the options to watch are

• Buy the stream and watch live (either one day at a time or all 4 days)
  • If you have a VPN, Finnish TV is broadcasting about 2-3 hours daily. It's not live and it won't include everyone but these will be on-demand too. You can find the streams and the schedules here https://areena.yle.fi/1-4212379? as Elka said. Note that you need to click on "tulossa" instead of "katsottavissa" to see the upcoming streams. Katsottavissa means the streams that are available to watch right now, tulossa means upcoming. (BTW the tv broadcast will include a commentator who used to coach my adult group (she was THE BEST coach :D ) but can be very chatty. :lol: )
  • Hope for either fancams or someone making vids from the tv broadcast or the stream.
  • Hope for an unofficial stream, like Ka3sha mentioned :lol:

Last edited:

Ka3sha

As far as I have seen, some of the Russian fans promised to organize re-stream from the official stream - I do not support this kind of actions, but in the result probably skating community will benefit from it and some videos will be available later

Braulio

As far as I have seen, some of the Russian fans promised to organize re-stream from the official stream - I do not support this kind of actions, but in the result probably skating community will benefit from it and some videos will be available later

Please let us know about the streams

Thanks @Hanna for the information. I wrote a message on the facebook post. Given what you had on reply to your email then it looks like we wont have any late On Demand option solved, I remember Finlandia Trophy in 2017-2019 seasons I bought the stream (a bit cheaper) and they also did not have the on demand option but given the fans asking for and the $$$ we spent, they finally made it work and gave us the On Demand video.

But now I don't know then if the finnish copyright changed and it affects this kind of streaming service.

I am thinking about buying the stream. I think I could record it and then making videos but I don't know if that will be possible until the event starts, some streams are not able to record directly but instead you have to record the screen and that for me won't be an option.

I will have to maybe buy a one day pass and test if the stream is recordable, but if it works then I will have to buy the all event pass and spent more money??? don't know If I'm willing to spent that much

Last edited:

Panja

Does the above link work? :lol: Should be a direct link to the post FT just made on Facebook about the stream. I'd suggest commenting on the post as much you can (as many as can) and explaining that the on-demand option is crucial to your decision on buying the stream.

Also, here's an e-mail address you can contact [email protected] . I already sent them a lengthy message. :lol: Unfortunately my :sekret: don't have more info about the stream.
I responded. I told them I decided not to buy when I realised it would not be possible to watch on demand. It's the complete truth. I would have bought otherwise. I don't even need an 'on demand' option for months going forward. It would have been and will be fine just to be able to watch immediately after!

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Also disappointed there’s no on-demand option. :( I’ll probably stick to YLE, hopefully there won’t be too many good programs cut from the broadcast.

TheresMaude

If you have a VPN, Finnish TV is broadcasting about 2-3 hours daily. It's not live and it won't include everyone but these will be on-demand too. You can find the streams and the schedules here https://areena.yle.fi/1-4212379? as Elka said. Note that you need to click on "tulossa" instead of "katsottavissa" to see the upcoming streams. Katsottavissa means the streams that are available to watch right now, tulossa means upcoming. (BTW the tv broadcast will include a commentator who used to coach my adult group (she was THE BEST coach :D ) but can be very chatty. :lol: )

When it says “on demand,” does that mean you should be able to watch them for some period after the event?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Asian Open Trophy entries were updated again today - notable - Kihira is out for the women, Mai Mihara is going instead; Mongolia and Thailand pulled their skaters out. Men, Pairs and Dance are unchanged. I'm not sure how the ISU is going to view this event with regard to Challenger points since there are now only 9 ISU countries represented (CHN, FIN, GER, HKG, JPN, KOR, LAT, SUI & TPE) and only 2 of the events have international competitors.

Women
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Hongyi CHEN CHN 1
2 Shan LIN CHN 1
3 Yi ZHU CHN 1
4 Jenni SAARINEN FIN 2
5 Kristina ISAEV GER 3
6 Nicole SCHOTT GER 3
7 Joanna SO HKG 4
8 Rika KIHIRA JPN 5
8 Mai MIHARA JPN 5
9 Kaori SAKAMOTO JPN 5
Mana KAWABE JPN 5 S
Rika KIHIRA JPN 5 S
10 Eunsoo LIM KOR 6
11 Seoyeong WI KOR 6
Hanul KIM KOR 6 S
Haein LEE KOR 6 S
Yeonjeong PARK KOR 6 S
14 Maral-Erdene GANSUKH MGL 9
15 Thita LAMSAM THA 10
16 Teekhree SILPA-ARCHA THA 10

12 Tzu-Han TING TPE 7

Denis Ten Memorial entries were updated - as expected, Ichilov/Abecassis are no longer listed; Men & Women are unchanged.

seabm7

Asian Open

In: Zhiming Peng, Hengxin Jin

Out: Hongyi Chen, Shan Lin, Eunsoo Lim, Seoyeong Wi

According to a rumor, the Koreans gave up since they could not find a suitable flight schedule.

I did some search. There is only one direct flight per week, on Friday, between Seoul and Beijing. Otherwise, one has to stop over at Shanghai or other cities, which is much more expensive and prolongs the flight time from 2 hours to more than 7 hours. This is bizarre.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information