2021-22 ISU Challenger Series announced

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Just an FYI - the pdf of the Colored Time Schedule is dated 9/17, so I would assume it is the most current.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Another round of crazy live-viewing options coming up (NHT, JGP5 and RussCup1), much of it overlapping. I’ll opt for only NHT live & watch replays of top skaters from the other two. These old eyes can handle only one competition at a time.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Another round of crazy live-viewing options coming up (NHT, JGP5 and RussCup1), much of it overlapping. I’ll opt for only NHT live & watch replays of top skaters from the other two. These old eyes can handle only one competition at a time.
I’m 100% committed to Nebelhorn. I figure if anything exciting happens elsewhere, the rest of FSU will let me know.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’m 100% committed to Nebelhorn. I figure if anything exciting happens elsewhere, the rest of FSU will let me know.
Me too. I feel a bit guilty abandoning Ted next week. :) However, JGP is very fast in uploading competitions onto YouTube. If memory serves, Russia One channel also uploads full segments of RCup competitions to YouTube.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
Thursday September 23
09:00-13:30 Men Short Program
14:00-16:20 Pairs Short Program
17:00-22:30 Ladies Short Program

Friday September 24
10:30-13:45 Rhythm Dance
14:15-19:30 Men Free Skate
20:00-22:45 Pairs Free Skate

Saturday September 25
10:10-16:15 Ladies Free Skate
16:35-20:00 Free Dance
20:30-22:15 Exhibition Gala

Karen-W

For those of us in North America, this schedule is going to be insane and you probably should have taken Thursday & Friday off to watch, lol.

Thursday September 23
3am ET/12am PT - 7:30am ET/4:30am PT Men Short Program
8am ET/5am PT - 10:20am ET/7:20am PT Pairs Short Program
11am ET/8am PT - 4:30pm ET/1:30pm PT Ladies Short Program

Friday September 24
4:30am ET/1:30am PT - 7:45am ET/4:45am PT Rhythm Dance
8:15am ET/5:15am PT - 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT Men Free Skate
2pm ET/11am PT - 4:45pm ET/1:45pm PT Pairs Free Skate

Saturday September 25
4:10am ET/1:10am PT - 10:15am ET/7:15am PT Ladies Free Skate
10:35am ET/7:35am PT - 2pm ET/11am PT Free Dance
2:30pm ET/11:30am PT - 4:15pm ET/1:15pm PT Exhibition Gala

Colonel Green

For those of us in North America, this schedule is going to be insane and you probably should have taken Thursday & Friday off to watch, lol.

Thursday September 23
3am ET/12am PT - 7:30am ET/4:30am PT Men Short Program
8am ET/5am PT - 10:20am ET/7:20am PT Pairs Short Program
11am ET/8am PT - 4:30pm ET/1:30pm PT Ladies Short Program

Friday September 24
4:30am ET/1:30am PT - 7:45am ET/4:45am PT Rhythm Dance
8:15am ET/5:15am PT - 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT Men Free Skate
2pm ET/11am PT - 4:45pm ET/1:45pm PT Pairs Free Skate

Saturday September 25
4:10am ET/1:10am PT - 10:15am ET/7:15am PT Ladies Free Skate
10:35am ET/7:35am PT - 2pm ET/11am PT Free Dance
2:30pm ET/11:30am PT - 4:15pm ET/1:15pm PT Exhibition Gala
I'm going to have to hope that Roman is dealt into one of the later groups of the men's short program. I can't do a 4 AM start time.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
On second thought, I have to prioritize. I can get up at 4am two days in a row, certainly not three. The men’s short may have to go as I don’t want to risk sleeping through the rhythm dance or ladiezzz free.

clairecloutier

No RUS entries for Asian Open, but there are Japanese and Korean skaters including Kagiyama and Kihara.

Some Boston-based skaters are going: Ma, Chan/Howe, Lu/Mitrofanov, and new star Marilena Kitromilis.

Karen-W

No Canadian skaters either.

That's a shame for both the pairs and dance that they aren't going to qualify as Challengers. I wonder if the USFS will still keep those teams assigned to that event or try to get them into another event with more teams.

clairecloutier

Are there any mandatory aspects involved in it being considered the official test event for the Olympics? I mean, does it have to meet any specific criteria?

Andrea82

I wonder if Pair and Dance scores (assuming they manage to gather 6 international ice dance judges from 6 different countries, and technical panels with the Challenger requirements) would count towards Season Best list or not.

From ISU Challenger Series announcement:

Each International Competition as part of the ISU Challenger Series in Figure Skating must consist of “Senior” categories (see ISU General Regulations 2021, Rule 108, paragraph 3.a) and must include entries in at least three (3) disciplines of the Figure Skating Branch (Men, Women, Pair Skating, Ice Dance) from a minimum of ten (10) different ISU Members, in all disciplines combined.
In addition, the minimum number of entries per discipline are as follows:

• Men / Women: minimum of eight (8) entries each, from at least four (4) ISU Members;
  • Pair Skating: minimum of five (5) entries from at least three (3) ISU Members;
  • Ice Dance: minimum of six (6) entries from at least four (4) ISU Members.

Asian Trophy 2018 had only 2 pairs (China and North Korea) and they didn't get (correctly) World Standing points.
However, their scores were considered for SB list (because panel of officials met the Challenger requirements).
However, Asian Trophy 2018 had Men, Women and Dance competitions meeting Challenger entries requirements. Therefore, the "3 disciplines" rule wasn't violated for sure.

Asian Trophy 2021 doesn't meet the required number of entries in both Pair and Dance and therefore it can be argued that it doesn't meet the 3 disciplines requirement. So I would think no, they couldn't count.
However, Budapest Trophy 2020 had scheduled only Men, Women and Ice Dance (it was a "non Pair" event). Ice Dance had only 3 entries. Therefore, it didn't meet the 3 disciplines rule (if you consider only those with the required number of entries as "valid" for Challenger Series) either but scores for ice dancers were still considered Season Bests (see Fear/Wandell).
That would suggest they (ISU) may have applied the "at least three (3) disciplines of the Figure Skating Branch (Men, Women, Pair Skating, Ice Dance) from a minimum of ten (10) different ISU Members" part to establish the whole event would still be considered as a Challenger. And then applied the "in addition, the minimum number of entries per discipline as as follows" part discipline by discipline only to award WS points.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Finlandia entries were updated for Pairs and Dance -

Pairs - Ghilardi/Ambrosini ITA are out
Dance - Verhaegh/Van Geffen NED were added and Polibina/Golovishnikov POL were removed.

seabm7

Are there any mandatory aspects involved in it being considered the official test event for the Olympics? I mean, does it have to meet any specific criteria?

I do not think there is an official requirement to be an Olympic test event. Being a Challenger or not should not matter. But the event should happen at the Olympic venue, which is why (former) Cup of China could not be the designated as the test event.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information