2023-24 Challenger Series

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Every single year, I wonder why the Croatian fed is given a Challenger event when they clearly are barely able to hold a functional competition. The ISU really needs to shake things up when it comes to their selection of Challenger events. Just because Golden Spin has been a competition for 55+ years doesn't mean it needs to be revered and lifted up to Challenger status anymore.
I mean, I understand the desire to keep good traditions going. But the ISU could maybe step in and help with organisation or finding sponsors or whatever is needed. (I'm guessing what would be most helpful in this case would be to send over a few extra pairs of hands, especially if they have experience organising similar events elsewhere.) And as someone else said, they should probably do something to ensure all Challengers have working (and free...) livestreams. They were able to do it for the JGP, so why not for Challengers as well?

ice coverage

For 2024-25 season, Finlandia Trophy no longer is listed in the "core group" of Challenger Series competitions.

Challenger Series in Figure Skating
Season 2024/25

... In recognition of the long standing tradition and merit of the following International Competitions, there will be a core group of four (4) Challenger Series Competitions, namely:
  • Nebelhorn-Trophy in Oberstdorf (GER)
  • Ondrej Nepela Trophy in Bratislava (SVK)
  • Golden Spin of Zagreb (CRO)
  • One Competition in Canada or the United States to be agreed upon among the ISU Figure Skating Members in Canada and the United States.
The above-mentioned core group of four (4) Challenger Series Competitions remains nevertheless subject to receiving an application from the concerned ISU Members and subject to ISU Council confirmation ...

Up to a maximum of six (6) additional International Figure Skating Competitions may be added by the ISU Council at its full discretion based on the applications from organizing ISU Members from all Continents to be submitted to the ISU. ...

(Feb 23)​

[Maybe the reason could be that Finland continues to host GPs??]

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
For 2024-25 season, Finlandia Trophy no longer is listed in the "core group" of Challenger Series competitions.

Challenger Series in Figure Skating​
Season 2024/25​
... In recognition of the long standing tradition and merit of the following International Competitions, there will be a core group of four (4) Challenger Series Competitions, namely:​
  • One Competition in Canada or the United States to be agreed upon among the ISU Figure Skating Members in Canada and the United States.
The above-mentioned core group of four (4) Challenger Series Competitions remains nevertheless subject to receiving an application from the concerned ISU Members and subject to ISU Council confirmation ...​
Up to a maximum of six (6) additional International Figure Skating Competitions may be added by the ISU Council at its full discretion based on the applications from organizing ISU Members from all Continents to be submitted to the ISU. ...​
(Feb 23)​

Interesting that they're keeping Golden Spin in their "core group" - despite the continued lack of willingness on the part of the organizing committee/fed to provide a live feed. Meh.

skatingguy

decently

Challenger Series in Figure Skating​
Season 2024/25​
... In recognition of the long standing tradition and merit of the following International Competitions, there will be a core group of four (4) Challenger Series Competitions, namely:​
The above-mentioned core group of four (4) Challenger Series Competitions remains nevertheless subject to receiving an application from the concerned ISU Members and subject to ISU Council confirmation ...​
Up to a maximum of six (6) additional International Figure Skating Competitions may be added by the ISU Council at its full discretion based on the applications from organizing ISU Members from all Continents to be submitted to the ISU. ...​
(Feb 23)​

I thought we knew this was happening because Finland couldn't afford to have both competitions going in the same season.

ice coverage

I am hopeful that the U.S. will have a Challenger in 2024-25 season.

The U.S. did not have a Challenger in 2021-22 season and again in 2023-24 season.

Although 2021 U.S. Classic was held at Skating Club of Boston, it was not part of the ISU Challenger Series.

ETA (on Feb 25):​
First-ever season of Challenger Series was 2014-15, which had Challengers both in USA and Canada.
Starting with second season of Challenger Series in 2015-16, ISU began saying one Challenger in North America (either USA or Canada), and ISU has kept saying it every season thereafter. In 2015-16 season, USA had a Challenger -- and Skate Canada held 2015 Autumn Classic as a non-Challenger.
But then USA and Canada both had Challengers in the same season for the next four seasons: 2016-17; 2017-18; 2018-19; and 2019-2020.
The more recent alternation of Challengers back and forth between Canada and USA originated in 2020-21 season, when the Challenger schedule announced in Feb 2020 had a Challenger for Canada, but not for USA. (Except for Nebelhorn Trophy and Budapest Trophy, Challenger events that had been announced for the 2020-21 series in fact were not held because of the pandemic.)
In 2021-22 season, Canada had a Challenger. USA held 2021 U.S. Classic as a non-Challenger.
In 2022-23 season, USA had a Challenger. Canada did not hold Autumn Classic at all.
In 2023-24 season, Canada had a Challenger. USA had the non-Challenger 2023 Kings Cup International (which kinda seemed to be a successor to U.S. Classic? as alluded to by Karen below).
Side note that first-ever U.S. Classic was in 2012, before ISU Challenger Series existed. First-ever Autumn Classic was in 2014, the first season of Challenger Series.​

Last edited:

Karen-W

The US should get a Challenger Senior B again if Finland is not hosting Finlandia next season after not having one for the first time in years last season.

I am hopeful that the U.S. will have a Challenger in 2024-25 season.

The U.S. did not have a Challenger in 2021-22 season and again in 2023-24 season.

Although 2021 U.S. Classic was held at Skating Club of Boston, it was not part of the ISU Challenger Series.
It usually alternates between the US and Canada. My guess, if Finlandia isn't being held, is that the Kings Cup International that was held in LA last October will be a Challenger with both pairs and dance added.

I could see both ACI and a US event as Challengers next season since Ice Challenge Graz is no more and it sounds like Finlandia won't be held.

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Challenger Series 2024/25 announced in Communication no. 2619 (March 19): https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/33606-isu-communication-2619/file

Cranberry Cup International, Norwood, Mass. USA (Aug. 8-11) *singles only
John Nicks Pairs Challenge Int’l, New York, NY USA (Sept. 3-4) *pairs only
Lombardia Trophy, Bergamo ITA (Sept. 13-15) *incl. pairs
Nebelhorn Trophy, GER (Sept. 19-21) *incl. pairs
Denis Ten Memorial, Astana KAZ (Oct. 3-6)
Budapest Trophy, Budapest HUN (Oct. 11-13)
Trophy Métropole Nice Côte d'Azur, Nice FRA (Oct. 16-20)
Nepela Memorial, Bratislava SVK (Oct. 24-26)
Tallinn Trophy, Tallinn EST (Nov. 12-17) - same weekend as GP Helsinki
PGE Warsaw Cup, Warsaw POL (Nov. 20-24) *incl. Pairs
Golden Spin, Zagreb CRO (Dec. 4-7) *incl. Pairs

ETA that I meant to start a new CS thread for Fall 2024 - maybe after Worlds?

Last edited:

Evgeniafan

ISU Challenger Series 2024/25 announced in Communication no. 2619 (March 19): https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/isu-communications/communications/33606-isu-communication-2619/file

Cranberry Cup is a challenger. 👏

Karen-W

Interesting that there are only 9 ice dance events since they've designated Cranberry Cup as singles only and John Nicks has always been pairs only.

I do like that Trophee Metropole Nice CdA and Tallinn Trophy have been added to the roster. And it's also interesting that Denis Ten Memorial and Nepela Memorial seem to have switched weekends with each other. I wonder if that will get more of the GP-assigned skaters to compete there as a pre-GP warmup competition.

Karen-W

Yeah, I'm a little surprised the USFS didn't approach the LPIDI organizers and ask them about submitting it as a dance-only Challenger since they did that with JNIPC for pairs.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Cranberry cup is too early to be a challenger in my opinion, I’d rather have the US classic or the autumn classic back. Come on, it’s tradition. And so is Finlandia, that needs to be brought back. Every single thing is in Europe, except for cranberry/John n, which is too early.

RoseRed

Pretty ridiculous to have no ice dance challenger in North America, honestly. Especially given how many dance teams train here, but even besides that. And also not great that the only singles challenger in Norht America is in early/mid August. That's very early. More than a month before any other challengers. Not a fan of this.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Pretty ridiculous to have no ice dance challenger in North America, honestly. Especially given how many dance teams train here, but even besides that. And also not great that the only singles challenger in Norht America is in early/mid August. That's very early. More than a month before any other challengers. Not a fan of this.

I agree, everything is in Europe

I know Croatia is a tradition as is Finland but I can’t think of a single skater right now in any discipline that even hails from Croatia. So while there’s tons in Canada and USA it just seems ridiculous.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Echoing the comments about no challenger ice dance event in North America. Seems short sighted.
Cranberry open will be quite early for a challenger event. I wonder if Canada will restrict who can enter this event (the last two years lots of Canadians entered but it was not considered an international assignment).
Hopefully Canada will still host a senior international (they did one of the years Autumn Classic was not designated a challenger event).

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Denis Ten Memorial in Kazakhstan should be great for the Asian skaters at least .
Kazakhstan is in Asia and not in Europe ;)
It’s still a long way from Beijing, Tokyo and Seoul.

I am also annoyed there’s no dance Challenger in the US, which has been the strongest country in dance for many years now.

ice coverage

Yeah, I'm a little surprised the USFS didn't approach the LPIDI organizers and ask them about submitting it as a dance-only Challenger since they did that with JNIPC for pairs.

Late July is way too early for an ice dance CS - Lake Placid and Quebec in August are used for getting feedback on/debuting at least one or both programs.

Plus per ISU specifications for Challengers (emphasis in original):

3. MIMIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICABLE COMPETITIONS

... The International Competition must be scheduled between August 1 and December 15. ...

Dates for 2024 LPIDI and LPIDC are Jul 27-31.
I doubt the dates could be easily changed.
For one thing, LPIDC is part of U.S. Solo Dance Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information