2020 Las Vegas Invitational team competition for USA singles skaters (taped after Skate America)

Sylvia

TBD
I guess Tara doesn't remember that Nathan's already landed a quad loop in competition before.
Not surprised - it was over 3 years ago (only previous attempt in comp., IIRC?). Good to see him land the 3A at the end this time even though it wasn't his best.

ETA:

A Nathan fan on Twitter reminded Jackie Wong & Phil Hersh that Chen also landed a clean 4Lo in his Japan Open FS in early October 2017 (after the Salt Lake City ISU Challenger in Sept. 2017).

Last edited:

meggonzo

Banned Member
Not surprised - it was over 3 years ago (only previous attempt in comp., IIRC?). Good to see him land the 3A at the end this time even though it wasn't his best.
Yeah, I suppose. But I remember Tonya landing a quad loop while filming her Texaco commercial even though I've never seen the footage. :shuffle: :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
Mama's Babyboy? To whom are you referring?

-BB
Ilia Malinin's mother/coach is Tatiana Malinina.
Yeah, I suppose.
Someone must have passed Tara a note about it. :lol: ETA - here's a clip of Nathan's 4Lo: https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/1328108308805406720

Final numbers tweeted by Jackie Wong:

Las Vegas Invitational Men FINAL
2nd number = what it would've been w normal men's PCS multiplier
1 Nathan Chen 182.20 (~200)
2 Vincent Zhou 141.47 (~160)
3 Alex Krasnozhon 138.58 (~154)
4 Tomoki Hiwatashi 131.40 (~148)
5 Camden Pulkinen 129.46 (~145)
6 Ilia Malinin 114.68 (~128)

Las Vegas Invitational Team FINAL
Team @taralipinski 828.95
- Andrews 120.70, Shin 132.65, Tennell 140.14, Krasnozhon 138.58, Malinin 114.68, NChen 182.20

Team @JohnnyGWeir 774.98
- KChen 122.43, Liu 110.80, Bell 139.42, Pulkinen 129.46, Hiwatashi 131.40, Zhou 141.47

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I would say puberty has caught up to Alysa Liu. This is not meant to sound like a beeyotch - I honestly didn’t recognize her until her name was announced. She is obviously not close to her usual now.

Alysa came in 6th out of 6 ladies. Just two triples. Was stronger at the ISP Points event a couple of weeks earlier, making one wonder if something happened just before Vegas? On the positive side, I love the new LP, esp the last minute of footwork and choreography...and her new sleeveless wispy mauve/lilac dress...quite different from the last two LP dresses.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Mama's Babyboy?
I believe this is Alaine Chartrand's nickname for Kevin Reynolds.

Back on topic, I made it through about ten minutes of this event. I do, however, congratulate USFSA for getting Guaranteed Rate and HomeLight as sponsors. I'm hoping that, if U.S. Nationals happens, it will be sponsored by Four Seasons Total Landscaping.

love skating

Clueless American
I'm guessing there are no protocols anywhere? I was interested in whether a few jumps were called under or not.

Carolla5501

Despite my earlier criticisms, I’d be curious as to how they force Tanith to integrate this into her explanation.

“A well choreographed program can put you ahead of the game early in the season, just like a good brand of fertilizer.”
They gave her cash.
I don’t really mind but I’m sure she got paid to do those commercials

skatingguy

decently
Despite my earlier criticisms, I’d be curious as to how they force Tanith to integrate this into her explanation.

“A well choreographed program can put you ahead of the game early in the season, just like a good brand of fertilizer.”
A skater needs spring to get into the air on their jumps, just as aerating your grass in the spring will help you get a jump on your neighbour's lawn.

Debbie S

I don’t really mind but I’m sure she got paid to do those commercials
Well, yes, it's part of her job as a commentator for the event. The contract presumably includes in-event promotion, including the broadcasting portion. Those 'sponsor messages' also get played on the Jumbotron in the arena during events (when we had events with spectators....).

It's just like what they used to do during the Disson shows, when the skaters would tape spots about applesauce, etc. I figure if that's what it takes to get skating on TV, I can live through them.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Just tuned in. I see the audience stayed for this "competition"
Did they move them around? I saw my friend in the front row again but I also saw her in the back row in a different section!

I guess Tara doesn't remember that Nathan's already landed a quad loop in competition before.
She was talking about how he hadn't included it in a while so I am sure she remembered.

Spiralgraph

It was a pleasant fluff "competition" to me. I think Mariah learned that she should always take a back up dress for any skate she does before the cameras though. Three times we saw that costume.. it's nice and sparkly but I'm ready for her to wear something different. lol

my3sons

I remember when Michelle’s luggage got lost for Worlds but she had a beautiful pink practice dress with her. US needs to stop trying to compete with the Russians. Those girls are learning those quads under abusive situations that hopefully the US isn’t going to do. Just like our gymnasts endured years of abuse under the Korolis.

Sylvia

TBD
I'm guessing there are no protocols anywhere?
I haven't seen a link posted anywhere.

Recap articles:
Excerpt:
Andrews and Krasnozhon, both on Team Tara, were the surprise performers of the event.
The 19-year-old Andrews, who was the 2017 U.S. junior silver medalist, improved her Skate America score by 6.2 points to a 120.70. Weir said her performance was the best he had seen from her in three seasons.
Krasnozhon nailed the quad loop – saying he did not want to disappoint Lipinski – for a 138.58 (153.87). The latter is 17.32 points higher than his Skate America score. At Skate America, he had the lowest score among the six men who would compete at the Las Vegas Invitational; two days later, he had the third-highest score.
Chen also landed a quad loop, including it in his program for the first time since the 2017 Japan Open.

Rusty Kath, Mirai Nagasu (when she was still in Las Vegas) and Joel Savary taped an Ice Desk preview segment for the team competition (~13 mins.): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=1782&type=Archive

Last edited:

concorde

It came across as FSU-snarky to me. Considering Skate America was Malinin's senior international debut, he did GREAT and being invited to participate in the team event was a nice bonus. :)
Exactly! You don't see alot of male 15 year olds skating at Senior events. Female yes but not male.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information