2020 Las Vegas Invitational team competition for USA singles skaters (taped after Skate America)

Sylvia

TBD
USFS' press release today: https://www.usfigureskating.org/new...ting-athletes-providing-prize-money-las-vegas
The Las Vegas Invitational presented by HomeLight will air on NBC on Sunday, Nov. 15, from 4-6 p.m. ET, U.S. Figure Skating and title sponsor of the competition HomeLight announced Wednesday. Two teams, Team Tara and Team Johnny, representing NBC’s dynamic announcer duo of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir will compete for $50,000 in total prize money.
HomeLight and U.S. Figure Skating teamed up for the Las Vegas Invitational in order to create not only an additional competitive opportunity, but also to provide more funding for athletes whose prize money and appearance fee opportunities have been limited due to the impact of the C*VID-19 p*ndemic.
Each team in the event will be comprised of three ladies and three men from the United States who are senior eligible domestically. Each skater will perform a free skate with their scores being added together to create a total team score. The team with the highest aggregate score after all team members have performed will win the event. Ten of the twelve (12) skaters will be invited to participate based on a combination of their world standings and 2019-20 season's best score, with the 2020 ladies and men's U.S. champions serving as captains for Team Tara and Team Johnny, respectively. One additional lady and man will be selected based on the results of 2020 Skate America, with the highest finisher in each category not already invited to participate in the event earning a wildcard entry.
Team Tara
Starr Andrews
Nathan Chen
Alex Krasnozhon
Ilia Malinin (wildcard entry)
Audrey Shin (wildcard entry)
Bradie Tennell

Team Johnny
Mariah Bell
Karen Chen
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Alysa Liu
Camden Pulkinen
Vincent Zhou

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Also from the 10/28 press release:
The event will be scored using the International Judging System, with one modification, both the ladies and the men will be scored using the same components factor of 1.6 (men are typically scored with a factor of 2.0). As a result, the men’s scores will be lower than if the regular 2.0. component factor was used. By competing under the same component calculation factor, the ladies and men’s scores will carry the same weight in the composition of the overall team score.
Terry Gannon will handle play-by-play responsibilities for the competition and will be joined by 1998 Olympic gold medalist Lipinski and three-time U.S. champion Weir who will “coach” their respective teams from the broadcast booth.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Hmmm.....I do not see Liu threepeating at US nationals. She's really undertrained. Oh, well. Maybe next season.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Hmmm.....I do not see Liu threepeating at US nationals. She's really undertrained. Oh, well. Maybe next season.
yes and not only the physical changes from puberty but the emotional changes and the “what if’s” sneaking into her mind! May have been too much too soon, hope she stays happy whatever happens.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I would say puberty has caught up to Alysa Liu. This is not meant to sound like a beeyotch - I honestly didn’t recognize her until her name was announced. She is obviously not close to her usual now.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I would say puberty has caught up to Alysa Liu. This is not meant to sound like a beeyotch - I honestly didn’t recognize her until her name was announced. She is obviously not close to her usual now.
I didn't either. It's sad she might have missed her best chance at a junior world medal last year, but so did a lot of other skaters both junior and senior.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I have always loved U.S. ladies. They may not have the big fire power of some others but there is just so much to enjoy. It helps me remember why I fell in love with figure skating.
that was lovely from Bell! Atrocious music cuts (& i love Abba) though. She seems to be on fire this year. Yeah i always like the US women as they really do sell the programs

Sonata

I don’t usually watch NBC. They just made Tanith make an analogy between quads and the value of your home. Is this a regular thing? I guess the commentators are not covered by journalism standards regarding neutrality? Would they make Tracy Wilson do this?!

Sonata

Thanks for the link.
I think it’s fine to say this is a [insert company] highlight / brought to you by [company] but then to advertise during the actual segment by comparing skating to a home feature offered by the sponsor company is really off putting.
I’m not naive enough to say that a big sponsor is not going to be highlighted, but there’s a way to do so that is less jarring and doesn’t force the professional staff to say lines from a commercial.

Sylvia

TBD
Jackie Wong's "live" tweeting thread for the ladies' free skates: https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1328095390671966210
Las Vegas International [Invitational] Ladies FINAL 1 Bradie Tennell 140.14 2 Mariah Bell 139.42 3 Audrey Shin 132.65 4 Karen Chen 122.43 5 Starr Andrews 120.70 6 Alysa Liu 110.80 -- Team Tara 393.49 Team Johnny 372.65
ETA that the men's free skates continues below (keep scrolling).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information