2019-20 GP Selection (19-20 June)

Tinami Amori

Interesting that, according to Lakernik, Jr. World medallists get to pick before everyone else from 4th at Worlds down, when, according to the announcement, they aren't guaranteed any spots and are only listed in the one-event section, and this was an explicit change from being guaranteed one spot in the past :COP:.

Maybe they'll update it this year, or maybe they'll continue to treat the announcement like the paper used to wrap fish and chips.
Maybe he just skipped over some details. I was surprised too.

Dobre

Or maybe he means that among the Russian ladies, they will be the next priorities as far as the Federation trying to send them where they want to go. Very often juniors get the short straw during their GP debuts; but in this case, you are talking about a couple medalists from Nationals that also medaled at Junior Worlds so they are probably more prioritized by the Federation than other ladies who did not medal in either location. (Both Trusova & Scherbakova being guaranteed one, the Russian Fed can at least prioritize them for two spots by making sure those girls have double invitations before filling the three host spots at Rostelecom).

DeGraaf

I hope the selection committee will take in to account my personal request and send the following skaters to one GP event closer to home ( France or Russia since Helsinki was a one-off thing):
Pairs: Sui/Han, Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiyako/Enbert, James/Cipres, Boikova/Kozlovski,della Monica/Guarise,Cain/le Duc
Men: Hanyu, Uno, Grassl, Nathan Chen, Rizzo
Dance: Papasakis/Cizeron, Gilles/Poirier, Hurtado/Khalyavin, Hubbel/Donohue, Dear/Gibson, Guignard/Fabri
Ladies: Kihira, Zagitova, Daleman, Trusova

Orm Irian

I hope the selection committee will take in to account my personal request and send the following skaters to one GP event closer to home ( France or Russia since Helsinki was a one-off thing):
Pairs: Sui/Han, Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiyako/Enbert, James/Cipres, Boikova/Kozlovski,della Monica/Guarise,Cain/le Duc
Men: Hanyu, Uno, Grassl, Nathan Chen, Rizzo
Dance: Papasakis/Cizeron, Gilles/Poirier, Hurtado/Khalyavin, Hubbel/Donohue, Dear/Gibson, Guignard/Fabri
Ladies: Kihira, Zagitova, Daleman, Trusova

Trust me, DG is not going to let either P/C or J/C not skate at Grenoble for any reason barring injury; they're the domestic money-spinners for that event, and besides, France doesn't have enough strong dance or pairs teams to put up a medal fight without them unless the deck is transparently stacked in the remaining teams' favour (I love Hamon/Strekalin but they have a lot of developing to do to before they can become a powerhouse pairs team). And that would be so transparent that they'd never get away with it.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The skaters with 1 or even none :( will be Gubanova, Konstantinova, Sotskova, Taursina, Leonova, Panakova, Sakhanovich, etc. I'm holding out hope that Gubanova gets something. Some where. Not that I hold any hope of her getting to Europeans, Worlds or the Olympics. The Russians will be chasing the Triple As who will all get two GP events. Russia will see to that. Zagitova, Medevedva, Tuk and Samodurova will all get two. I thinks it's an easy bet that the GPF will be Russia vs. Japan again depending on which skaters compete against each other in events. It all depends on individual comp line ups.

It's going to be interesting to see if this is an up year or a down year for Tuk. She tends to follow a pattern, but hopefully, that won't be the case this season. She has unfinished business regarding Europeans and Worlds, but it's going to be tough to make either team barring unexpected events. Which happen often so who knows. :watch:

Colonel Green

Last season due to various retirements, choices not to compete, and ineligibilities, there were only two Canadian dance teams on the Grand Prix outside of Canada (Gilles/Poirier and Soucisse/Firus, with Sales/Wamsteeker getting a domestic host spot). Certainly going to be a big change this season, with three teams guaranteed two spots apiece from Worlds, plus Soucisse/Firus and Lajoie/Lagha likely getting two as well.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
He's saying that the top three from Worlds get to pick their events. After that, assuming no host conflicts, all of the other groups are supposed to go in random host order for that discipline, and that's where Samodurova sits.

I find it interesting that 4-12 in singles and 4-10 in Pairs and Dance could get both of their top picks, while the bronze medalist gets leftovers. If they're going to give precedence, I think they should get their top pick in order, and then their second pick in order. Or if the World Champion gets their top two (assuming no host pick conflict), the balance should go silver-bronze-silver-bronze.

I love the idea that they could talk it over and come up with something among themselves. I can imagine some interesting conversations had this been the case back in the day...

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Yes. Why wouldn’t she be?
While Kostornaia getting only one is theoretically possible, in practical terms she is guaranteed two.
I can't find this discussion now (from a Russian site), but recently i read that while it is not unofficial, the senior ladies singles Level A team for Russia usually consists of 6 ladies, and it will certainly be Zag, Tuk, Med, Sam, Trus, Scher. But by special order, they added Kostornaya to the list (given she won GPF, won all GP events, medal at RN, and missed JW only because of illness). Now there will be 7 ladies on Level A list. not official.

Erin

Banned Member
The lists above are eligibility in the order listed in the GP Announcement.

There are also other eligibility rules for Pairs and Dance, like split couples (explicit for those who placed 7-12 at the prior two Worlds, implicitly for those placed 1-6 at an unstated number of prior Worlds), and comeback/return skaters, those who didn't skate last season but placed 7-12 at the two prior Worlds before last season and those who place 1-6 in the last ten seasons.

If anyone knows anyone who qualifies under these rules, it would be great if you'd add it here.

Off the top of my head, Ilyushechkina and Bilodeau would hopefully meet the implicit split couple requirements based on her 6th place finish at 2017 Worlds, assuming 1-6 unstated prior Worlds is more than two.

Sylvia

TBD
Updates on junior dancers:
-Ushakova & Nekrasov stated that they were remaining juniors.
-Nguyen & Kolesnik stated they were remaining in juniors and are signed up for juniors at the Chesapeake Open.
-D'Allessandro & Waddell were at the Tea Time Foxtrot training and are on Canada's Next Gen team.
Known splits among the pairs on the ISU SB list:

SB-40: Miu SUZAKI / Ryuichi KIHARA JPN​
SB-41: Daria KVARTALOVA / Alexei SVIATCHENKO RUS​
SB-42: Hailey KOPS / Artem TSOGLIN ISR​
Pairs:
Guaranteed one from Top 24 GP (if skating senior)

SB-14: Polina KOSTIUKOVICH / Dmitrii IALIN RUS (WS-20)​
SB-15: Apollinariia PANFILOVA / Dmitry RYLOV RUS​
SB-18: Kseniia AKHANTEVA / Valerii KOLESOV RUS​
The above 3 are still ISU Junior age-eligible, along with:

SB-25: Feiyao TANG / Yongchao YANG CHN​
SB-34: Alina PEPELEVA / Roman PLESHKOV RUS​

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Surely it should be the 20th June by now! :drama: I want to know if I’ve done the right thing buying a SA ticket! I haven’t booked a flight yet which I really should have...

caseyedwards

I support Russia splitting into two countries so more of their ladies skaters get spots! lol

Special rule
Russia 1
Russia 2

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
WeaPo not competing at GP bumps G/P up to the middle selection group and "seed" designation.

The way the Announcement is written, Kaliszek/Spodiriev (11th at Worlds) would move into the last selection group only if a team placing 7-10 at Worlds isn't competing at GP, leaving one spot guaranteed two open, but I don't know if they meant it that way, and, since K/S are almost certain to get two anyway, we likely will never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information