2017 Japan Open, October 7 + Carnival on Ice gala

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Why is Gracie going to the Japan Open again? She's bombed it twice when she was in much better shape and a much better skater before her slump. Hopefully knowing that she's facing the top two Russian ladies will make Gracie get into shape otherwise she will get embarrassed.
I think she is somewhere beyond embarrassed

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
How can you have a North American team without the best NA ladies? That would be Daleman and Osmond...unless the invites are planned to ensure a win for Japan...eho issued the invites

Sylvia

TBD
The 2017 Japan Open Announcement document is not yet published online, but the 2016 Japan Open Announcement included a fact sheet that listed TV Tokyo (TV Coverage), Japan Skating Federation (Organizer) and IMG Tokyo (Production).

I assume the skaters are invited each year based on decisions of the above entities, and it's possible that Kaetlyn Osmond, who is represented by IMG, was invited this year but declined. FWIW, Ashley Wagner is no longer represented by IMG as of sometime late last year, IIRC.

Last edited:

DDNatalia

Given the timing and distance/time involved with travel, I would guess that for some of the non-local (Japan based) skaters, doing Japan Open becomes a decision vis a vis trading off/a Senior B event.

Bet the tickets are already sold out LOL

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
So, who will the US send in GG's place? I don't see Ashley accepting the invite, given her apparent strategy of peaking as few times as possible. So that would mean...Mirai?

Frida80

I thought it could be anyone from North America. I was hoping either Kaitlyn or Gabby could get an invite.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
So, who will the US send in GG's place? I don't see Ashley accepting the invite, given her apparent strategy of peaking as few times as possible. So that would mean...Mirai?
A Canadian possibly too

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Nagasu has the obvious cultural ties, but are there any other North American women with endorsements in Japan/Japanese markets?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
You'd think they would announce it soon. It's in 31 days.

Marco

Ashley Wagner has not missed a Japan Open since she started going in the 2012-3 season. She is the most decorated US lady currently competing.

I wonder if she was originally invited, and if she was, whether she turned down because she wanted a late start to the season.

Sylvia

TBD
I posted this back in June:
The 2017 Japan Open Announcement document is not yet published online, but the 2016 Japan Open Announcement included a fact sheet that listed TV Tokyo (TV Coverage), Japan Skating Federation (Organizer) and IMG Tokyo (Production).

I assume the skaters are invited each year based on decisions of the above entities, and it's possible that Kaetlyn Osmond, who is represented by IMG, was invited this year but declined. FWIW, Ashley Wagner is no longer represented by IMG as of sometime late last year, IIRC.
Nagasu is still represented by IMG.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I hope both Nagasu and her 3axel are at the Japan Open. I mean a clean program would be nice to officially kick off the Olympic season but I feel that a fully rotated 3axel would make a bigger impact.

Marco

Would love to see Mirai's 3axel at the Japan Open. Time for her to make a strong statement and put some pressure on the top US ladies.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
No, I don't think so. Usually, competitions in Japan (except JGP) are not streamed live. They are very sensitive with the broadcast rights.
That is what I thought. I remember seeing Mirai's skate from 2014 but it was on dailymotion and is gone now.

Sylvia

TBD
Any idea why Verner dropped out? I was looking forward to seeing him. Always enjoyed his skating, and it's been a few years since he retired.
The website mentions Verner withdrew "due to injury."

TV broadcasts in Japan: http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2017/onair.html

TV Tokyo
Saturday 7th October 2017 (Sat)
night 6:30 - 7:00 TV TOKYO
night 7:00 - 8:54 TV TOKYO 6 Stations Net

Commentary: Ryuushima Itagaki
Commentary: Yakinuma Junko
Reporter: Noriko Fukuda
Interviewer:

BS Japan
Sunday, October 15, 2017 (Sunday)
6:30 - 8: 54 Commentary: Ryuushima Itagaki
Commentary: Junko Yaginuma
Reporter: Noriko Fukuda
Interviewer: Kuwa Okuro

Team Japan:
Mai Mihara, Marin Honda, Shoma Uno, Nobunari Oda

Team Europe:
Evgenia Medvedeva, Alina Zagitova, Javier Fernandez, Alexei Bychenko

Team North America (USA):
Karen Chen, Mirai Nagasu, Nathan Chen, Jeremy Abbott

In addition to Tatsuki Machida, Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje will perform as guest skaters.
He's not listed on the website but "TV Tokyo Figure Skating" tweeted a photo of Daisuke Takahashi on Sept. 29: https://twitter.com/tvtokyo_figure/status/913686685208031232
It is finally one week to hold "Japan Open / Carnival on Ice"! It is one of my pleasure to be able to watch a program to be released for the first time every year, but at this carnival on ice, Mr. Takahashi Daisuke will show off his new program for the first time! stay tuned! !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information