2019 Japan Open, October 5 + Carnival on Ice gala

starrynight

You've never heard of the "Gorilla and Flea" teams of the late 1970's and early 1980's?

I have heard of that term - I know that Gordeeva/Grinkov were once considered one of those when Katia first won worlds at 14.

But I'm not familiar enough with pairs from that era to know of any other good examples. Would be very interested to know more. (A good search such revealed a lot of stuff about a member of a band called Flea meeting a gorilla lol).

But I did see a discussion of the 1972 Europeans on wiki which said:

The third-place team, Manuela Groß / Uwe Kagelmann, included two throw double axels in their free skate, which at that time was one of the most difficult elements attempted by pair skaters, and unusual enough to draw comment. As Gross was only 14 years old at this time while her partner Kagelmann was a tall grown man of 21, they were one of the first of what later became known as "one-and-a-half" or "flea-and-gorilla" pair teams.[7][8]

I found a video of Manuela Gross and Uwe Kagelmann, but to be honest, by today's standards I didn't even blink when I saw them. She didn't look in that video to be the kind of '14 years old but looks 10' sort of thing that the heavy training of the modern era creates.

Tinami Amori

It's probably time to increase the ratio of the PCS up to 2.0 for the LP given that Trusova is matching the top men in her technical jumps.
First of all, it is time to allow ladies the same tech content in SP as men are allowed. Quads and 3A for Jr. and Sr.

There are women all over the world fighting for equality in sports, on various levels and in various matters.

It is a shame that FS has "girl's content" and "boy's content". Girls don't have to do what men do, but they should NOT be prevented if they can do it!

starrynight

My overall impression of the event that despite the technical efforts of Trusova, Zagitova left a far far better impression on me. I love the costume, it's the first program from Zagitova that I have actually really liked - and I think that has much to do with her presence while skating it rather than anything about the choreography. It's been a very bold transformation from last season I tell you.

This event to me, proved the value in ladies skaters growing into the sport and finding maturity on the ice.

Zagitova should have won. Presentation wise she was a universe ahead of Trusova.

I know people think the PCS were inflated, but she skated after Trusova, so they had to set PCS at a point that would distinguish Zagitova as the clear leader in that respect.

Last edited:

Finsta

Don't wiggle around.... Just post it. all it requires a video and a translation... ;) Any one can say "I hear".. "some people are saying". Just post that "other video"... i understand russian, i will tell you honestly what it says...

if you think your constant jabs intimidate me you’re 100% wrong. You don’t even live in Russia. But alas, check other boards. They have the video up in Russian and have posted it was edited due to strong language. Who cares if she had strong language? It has nothing to do with you as a person so get over your obsession. Who are you to try and twist this and think you’re her protect her. Most think it’s funny and you are going crazy over it. Aren’t you supposedly an elderly woman? Maybe you should go join some healthy activity. Keep you mind off little girls skating.

skatesindreams

I found a video of Manuela Gross and Uwe Kagelmann, but to be honest, by today's standards I didn't even blink when I saw them. She didn't look in that video to be the kind of '14 years old but looks 10' sort of thing that the heavy training of the modern era creates.

The "prototype":

Tinami Amori

if you think your constant jabs intimidate me you’re 100% wrong.
I don't give a hoot how you feel, the issue is "spoken words" of a skater.

You don’t even live in Russia. But alas, check other boards. They have the video up in Russian and have posted it was edited due to strong language.
Failed logic: In reply to your "proof and argument" to check other boards and see "what they have", i say "check other boards and see what is posted - you are wrong".

Would it not be easier, since you know the site and saw the video, just to post this video? Instead of "some hypothetical site where they hypothetically said something?

Who cares if she had strong language? It has nothing to do with you as a person so get over your obsession. Who are you to try and twist this and think you’re her protect her. Most think it’s funny and you are going crazy over it. Aren’t you supposedly an elderly woman? Maybe you should go join some healthy activity. Keep you mind off little girls skating.
Ok, i get it...... you know you lost the argument... ;)Young women like you should not engage in unsubstantiated rumors and gossips...... Surely you have a "life"?

Ok. I don't feel i have to do your job for you, and provide "that video".... but since you know how to run your mouth but not provide any proof..... let me disappoint you:

I know exactly the site and the video you're talking about, and the "conversation" started by 1 person where she thought that Trusova said 1 particular swear word. Then 10+ people told her she was wrong and misheard and explained why she is wrong.

The site is called "Fegurka", it's a site that makes jokes and memes about skaters (every body).
The clip (with Trusova) in question, is from the SAME longer video i already posted.

This is the conversation between posters. (ignore the word "error" it opens fine)

This is the clip in question (extract from that other longer video).

This is what Trusova is saying in Russia (the voice is clearer than in the other).
"Совсем чего-то нехватила до 100.. я хотела"
"just so little (little bit) short of 100 ... i wanted it".
"прикинь..... всего три балла"
"dig this/imagine this ... just three points" as she holds up 3 fingers.

The whole issue is with the word "3 balla" - "3 points".
Phonetically the word "balla" is the same ending of a russian profanity (meaning "screwed-over) - nae-balla.

When Sasha is saying "tre balla" and holding up 3 fingers, this woman only heard the ending "balla" and thought that Trusova is complaining that she was "screwed over".

This all google-translates.
The woman states her assumption about "screwed over"
Rey Khino Lilya
Лиля
, ну не знаю, переслушала 7 раз, все равно слышу "опять наебали". Как минимум, там чётко слышно после опять "на" и в самом конце "ли/и"

And 10+ people are telling her she is wrong, because Trussova is saying "she is 3 points short and holding up 3 fingers". Here are 3, so not to flood with "same stuff".

Catherine Goodcat Polina
Полина
, да, специально раз пять послушала, именно это она и говорит. Она даже на пальцах цифру 3 показывает в этот момент.

Iana Razengraffe Lara
Лара
, "чуть-чуть опять не хватило до 100. Опять три балла" - где тут плохие слова?

Iana Razengraffe Raduzhny
Радужный
, "Опять ТРИ БАЛЛА" - она даже пальцами показывает три. Совсем уже люди...

Unless you have a 3rd version of the video you better post, this is done and finished with.
If Trusova used a profanity, it would be ALL over Russian chats and news.. :lol:

Finsta

Are you seriously going to make issue of what someone says a skater says? You- the one who is constantly posting rumors about a specific skater you hate and posting it as fact?
I hope you don’t lose sleep tonight over this. I am waiting for you to find the video like a true fan girl.
I hope you find video soon. Now I’m on to more important things. I’m certain You’ll continue to stalk my posts and make some insane obsessive comment, as usual.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I hear you, @kwanatic. This competition was kind of a microcosm or test case of so many things that I, personally, find troubling and/or disappointing about the current state of ladies skating and judging. It does make you wonder if it’s worth watching. But I agree with @alchemy void that I always enjoy hearing your thoughts, either here or on your blog! 😍

Skating has changed so much this season. The athletes seem to spend more time in the air these days (or preparing to jump) than on the ice.

Sometimes, I miss the pure beauty of Angela Nikodinov's magical layback, Nicole Bobek's gigantic spiral, or Dorothy Hamill's jaw-dropping scratch spin.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

You've never heard of the "Gorilla and Flea" teams of the late 1970's and early 1980's?

Stan Zhuk was famous for producing and training three Soviet pairs (Marina Cherkasova / Sergei Shakhrai,Marina Pestova / Stanislav Leonovich, and Veronika Pershina / Marat Akbarov) who were virtually identical in appearance and technical content.

Though the girls had grown somewhat by the early 1980s, here is a fascinating exhibition of them in action.

Last edited:

lily

if you think your constant jabs intimidate me you’re 100% wrong. You don’t even live in Russia. But alas, check other boards. They have the video up in Russian and have posted it was edited due to strong language. Who cares if she had strong language? It has nothing to do with you as a person so get over your obsession. Who are you to try and twist this and think you’re her protect her. Most think it’s funny and you are going crazy over it. Aren’t you supposedly an elderly woman? Maybe you should go join some healthy activity. Keep you mind off little girls skating.
It's incredible how rude you speak about skaters and another poster.
If you want to bash young Trusova so much - bring this video here then.

Finsta

It's incredible how rude you speak about skaters and another poster.
If you want to bash young Trusova so much - bring this video here then.
I’m not knowing who you are, but if you commented you would see that that poster quotes me unnecessarily often and tries to be insulting. So now it’s rude to speak back to that poster? I think not. If that poster wants to target me then that poster must be able to handle the comments

Nobody bashed a skater. I posted what is discussed on a board about her swearing. Isn’t that what a message board is for? Last I checked there was not censorship in this board.

Last edited:

lily

I’m not knowing who you are, but if you commented you would see that that poster quotes me unnecessarily often and tries to be insulting. So now it’s rude to speak back to that poster? I think not. If that poster wants to target me then that poster must be able to handle the comments

Nobody bashed a skater. I posted what is discussed on a board about her swearing. Isn’t that what a message board is for? Last I checked there was not censorship in this board.

Was she really swearing or is it just gossip? Is it possible to have the link to this video?

gkelly

Are the ladies limited to repeating only one quad in the free skate as the men are?

The rules about jump repeats in the freeskate have never been gender specific.

In fact, since the time limits and number of elements has been normalized between men and ladies in the last couple years, the well-balanced freeskate rules in general are the same for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information