2023 Japan Open, October 7 + Carnival on Ice gala

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
lol I loved Loena's program for the most part. I think there were a few areas that could be filled with something but she's hot and it's fun so like idk sometimes that's all you need.

Allskate

I know most fans here won't know the first thing about the Renaissance album and many will probably hate both her program and Starr Andrews' short program, but younger fans certainly do know the music and will probably make the clips go viral. I think Loena's program could have more of a slow/low section, but it's still fun and fresh.
I think the ancient people here who are from Madonna's generation and listened and danced to her music (including "Vogue" and its arm choreography)when Madonna was "fun and fresh" -- will have varying views on the music choice and the choreography. As will younger fans. I don't think age of the skater or the musician or the fan has all that much to do with it. I'm not a fan of lots of arm choreography in competitive programs.

On My Own

I think the ancient people here who are from Madonna's generation and listened and danced to her music (including "Vogue" and its arm choreography)when Madonna was "fun and fresh" -- will have varying views on the music choice and the choreography. As will younger fans. I don't think age of the skater or the musician or the fan has all that much to do with it. I'm not a fan of lots of arm choreography in competitive programs.
I thought it was very bland apart from the armography haha

(Which is to say from a skating perspective, there's nothing interesting going on there)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Loena is skating to a mix of music that Beyonce included in her latest album (sampling Vogue before transitioning to Madonna's original) and then performed in her Renaissance tour which had, at least in the early months of ticket sales, sold out all 57 tour stops. I was at the Tampa concert a few months ago and it was money well-spent.

I know most fans here won't know the first thing about the Renaissance album and many will probably hate both her program and Starr Andrews' short program, but younger fans certainly do know the music and will probably make the clips go viral. I think Loena's program could have more of a slow/low section, but it's still fun and fresh.

I think you’re right. generally, I don’t read comments, but with Starr and with Loena, there’s no middle area …. people either like it or they dislike it and I think they dislike it because they don’t feel the music to be classic figure skating music, but if classic figure skating music these days means endless warhorses I’ll take whatever we can get outside that wheelhouse

On My Own

People liked Kaori's programs last season 🤷‍♂️ Sometimes, the choreography and/or the skating just isn't good...

On My Own

Oh did Uno go for Spiegel im Spiegel? Have to wonder how that'll look with competitive tech content.

Allskate

People either like it or they dislike it and I think they dislike it because they don’t feel the music to be classic figure skating music, but if classic figure skating music these days means endless warhorses I’ll take whatever we can get outside that wheelhouse
As someone who definitely is not fond of the use of warhorses, I know that's not true. Personally, I'd like to see more rock music used in competitive programs. (I suspect that's what Ilia really wants to use in his competitive programs.) I remember watching Paul Wylie do an exhibition program to "Touch Me" and Kurt Browning doing one to "Lightning Crashes" and wishing that they had been allowed to compete with music like that, which definitely are not warhorses. It's not about whether Loena is using warhorses -- or "classic figure skating music" as you put it. I think people say things like that just to be dismissive of other people's opinions and shut down disagreement. There is lots of music out there, and there are ways to choreograph using new music that are more expressive and do not rely as much on stilted arm choreography. Also, it's entirely possible to like a particular piece of music and not care for the choreography.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
wowwwww. After watching this a second time, I’d like to personally choreograph myself some more voguing arm movements in the Madonna footwork at the end, it needs more vogue style movements.
Yes, what that program needs is MORE arm movements. :D

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
It's not about whether Loena is using warhorses -- or "classic figure skating music" as you put it

if you read my post, you can see my comment was based on what people were mentioning in YouTube comments which I generally don’t read or check out and not my opinion

Sylvia

TBD
I can’t find any videos of Isabeau Levito’s skate :confused:
Here's one that was uploaded yesterday:

The account also has Jason Brown's debut of his Tarzan FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAhlvZ0Tw7Y
Mariah Bell's "Power of Love" FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3EAjbyr7tE
Team USA's intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND9eaL0S1mA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information