2023 Japan Open, October 7 + Carnival on Ice gala

Sylvia

TBD
Japan Open: https://jo-coi.com/jo.html
Kinoshita Group Cup Figure Skating Japan Open
Saturday, October 7, 2023
Saitama Super Arena

Team Japan: Koshiro Shimada, Kazuki Tomono, Kaori Sakamoto, Satoko Miyahara

Team North America: Ilia Malinin, Jason Brown, Isabeau Levito (debut), Mariah Bell

Team Europe: Kevin Aymoz, Morisi Kvitelashvili, Loena Hendrickx, Kimmy Repond (debut)

Guests: Riku Miura & Ryuichi Kihara, Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron

Carnival on Ice: https://jo-coi.com/coi.html
Performers in the exhibition include all the the skaters listed above plus:
Stéphane Lambiel
Shoma Uno
Shizuka Arakawa
Hana Yoshida
Utana Yoshida & Masaya Morita

Live streaming ticket info (registration required for the free Zaiko account): https://l-tike.zaiko.io/e/jo-coi2023

*You will need to purchase a viewing ticket to watch the live broadcast.
*Live streaming will be in real time. If you watch from the middle of the broadcast, you will start watching from that point. Rewinding and repeating playback is not possible.
*You cannot watch the live broadcast after it has finished. Also, there is no archive distribution.
*Due to rights issues, some videos and music may not be available for distribution.

ETA:

Official Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/jocoi2023_official_account/

Jason says he will debut his FS to The Legend of Tarzan, choreographed by Rohene Ward, at the Japan Open: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxuFpo6JjXp/

Last edited:

On My Own

Who the heck out there is going "mmmm mm! I loves me some Morisi! 🤤 "? One of the most confounding choices I could think of for a fluff event. Was Vasiljevs not available for Europe?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Who the heck out there is going "mmmm mm! I loves me some Morisi! 🤤 "? One of the most confounding choices I could think of for a fluff event.
Japanese audiences like him just fine, and as I've said elsewhere- he was often invited to the gala performances even when his placement didn't warrant it.

You're on Twitter quite a bit; I'm sure it wouldn't take much work to find some superfans.

bladesofgorey

I can't stand Morisi's presentation/skating at competitive events, but his genie show program was extremely entertaining. Impossible to believe it's the same person- but I can understand why he'd be invited to a fluff event.

Evgeniafan

Who the heck out there is going "mmmm mm! I loves me some Morisi! 🤤 "? One of the most confounding choices I could think of for a fluff event. Was Vasiljevs not available for Europe?
Its really upsetting that Deniss did not get the spot. His coach is there already. Plus Deniss is popular in Japan. Its not right.

tony

Its really upsetting that Deniss did not get the spot. His coach is there already. Plus Deniss is popular in Japan. Its not right.
Every year I feel like there's something that triggers people with this invitational cheesefest.

It's 'right' because there's no standard for selecting the athletes.

ETA- I've already detailed in previous posts that it seems the organizers try to throw a retired/recently retired skater into each team as often as they can. With Bell and Miyahara here, it's not far-fetched to think that's a part of why Morisi was selected on top of already being popular from his gala skates.

On My Own

I don't think it's 'right' or 'wrong' because it's a fluff event, I am loling at Morisi being invited over someone better. I didn't like that Aladin gala (or blue genie whatever).
You're on Twitter quite a bit; I'm sure it wouldn't take much work to find some superfans.
Of Morisi Kvitelashvili? I will try to keep my eyes pealed.
Japanese audiences like him just fine, and as I've said elsewhere- he was often invited to the gala performances even when his placement didn't warrant it.
Yes, I'm aware he seems an ISU favorite for some baffling reason.

On My Own

Wow IDK man. Seems a bit less popular than Hanyu, IMO.

(I think it's obvious they invite him because he's Georgian - small skating fed and all - and he had Eteri power behind him for a bit, so he had tangential "popularity", and a European Medal to boot. Probably invited him here because he retired and it would be "nice")

Evgeniafan

Wow IDK man. Seems a bit less popular than Hanyu, IMO.

(I think it's obvious they invite him because he's Georgian - small skating fed and all - and he had Eteri power behind him for a bit, so he had tangential "popularity", and a European Medal to boot. Probably invited him here because he retired and it would be "nice")
Deniss is small fed and he has a European medal.

Sylvia

TBD
2023 Japan Open results page: https://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2023-2024/japanopen/index.htm

1 Team Japan 614.79 - JSF's clip of the happy team: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyFov2mpKqs/
2 Team North America 577.87
3 Team Europe 543.31

Men - Free Skating protocols: https://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2023-2024/japanopen/data0105.pdf

Pl.CompetitorNationTSSTESPCSCOPRSKDeductionStN.
1Ilia MALININ
usa.gif
USA
193.91109.2584.668.428.508.500.00#6
2Kazuki TOMONO
jpn.gif
JPN
177.7289.7887.948.838.838.750.00#5
3Koshiro SHIMADA
jpn.gif
JPN
164.2683.2181.058.258.177.920.00#2
4Kevin AYMOZ
fra.gif
FRA
155.2069.8886.328.758.678.501.00#4
5Jason BROWN
usa.gif
USA
144.3859.2085.188.678.338.580.00#3
6Morisi KVITELASHVILI
geo.gif
GEO
125.1755.7070.477.087.007.081.00#1

Women - Free Skating protocols: https://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2023-2024/japanopen/data0205.pdf

Pl.CompetitorNationTSSTESPCSCOPRSKDeductionStN.
1Kaori SAKAMOTO
jpn.gif
JPN
149.5977.2672.339.008.929.170.00#6
2Loena HENDRICKX
bel.gif
BEL
140.3169.3171.009.008.928.670.00#5
3Isabeau LEVITO
usa.gif
USA
135.6367.5568.088.758.758.000.00#4
4Satoko MIYAHARA
jpn.gif
JPN
123.2254.8968.338.678.678.250.00#3
5Kimmy REPOND
sui.gif
SUI
122.6359.6462.997.757.927.920.00#2
6Mariah BELL
usa.gif
USA
103.9545.2058.757.257.507.250.00#1

Lana K

In mourning for Kaori's 2022-2023 season hair
Have videos from Japan Open popped up anywhere yet? :sekret: YouTube isn't yielding anything for me.

Allskate

Last edited:

Allskate

That program from Leona is :yikes:

It's very Loena. I know the music kind of invites arm choreography, but I wish she had used this music for an exhibition.

ETA:
The video quality isn't very good, but here's an Instagram video of Jason Brown's Tarzan program:

Papadakis and Cizeron from Carnival on Ice videos are on youtube.

Mentioning that they haven't decided whether they will compete again:

In Line:

Roses. They can really make this kind of quieter, slower music work:

Ditto for Shoma:

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

DIVVVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

OMG Team Jorik nevvvvvvveeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr disappoints

wowwwww. After watching this a second time, I’d like to personally choreograph myself some more voguing arm movements in the Madonna footwork at the end, it needs more vogue style movements.

I think like starrs short program is going to get rave reviews and negative reviews from the prudish. Lol.

VIVA LA DIVAAAAA 🇧🇪

Allskate

with Exogenesis and warhorses to no end out there, anything that’s refreshing like this is going to get an A from ANL
There are options other than warhorses and Madonna. This program isn't exactly Loena extending herself or figure skating musically and choreographically. But, I'm sure she loves it, so that is a plus in my book.

I don't think "prudishness" is going to have anything to do with why people don't care for the choice of music and choreography.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
There are options other than warhorses and Madonna. This program isn't exactly Loena extending herself or figure skating musically and choreographically. But, I'm sure she loves it, so that is a plus in my book.

i’ve watched the third time just now, maybe a costume that’s a bit more elevated but I know her costumes are very Loena kind of like how Denise Biellmann was as a professional

I like this, but I also think there is more they can do with this

Allskate

i’ve watched the third time just now, maybe a costume that’s a bit more elevated but I know her costumes are very Loena kind of like how Denise Biellmann was as a professional

I like this, but I also think there is more they can do with this
On a superficial note, I would like them to start by not having those black tights over the white boots. :lol: It's very distracting.

tony

Loena is skating to a mix of music that Beyonce included in her latest album (sampling Vogue before transitioning to Madonna's original) and then performed in her Renaissance tour which had, at least in the early months of ticket sales, sold out all 57 tour stops. I was at the Tampa concert a few months ago and it was money well-spent.

I know most fans here won't know the first thing about the Renaissance album and many will probably hate both her program and Starr Andrews' short program, but younger fans certainly do know the music and will probably make the clips go viral. I think Loena's program could have more of a slow/low section, but it's still fun and fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information