2017 Fall-Spring TV New/Returning Shows

Skate Talker

is there any way to have some sort of life commentary of episodes? or can we have it here?
My opinion - if there is a particular show that warrants live commentary it should at least have its own thread and not get lumped in here. This has been done before for shows like Dancing with the Stars where there is a mix of live and post airing comments.
Preferably though if a non-skating related tv show is that popular there must already be more appropriate boards on the internet. At least Dancing with the Stars has a bit of cross-over interest to figure skating as both include music and athletic movement.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
My emoji reaction to This Is Us tonight..... :fragile: :swoon: :yikes: :lol: :eek: :wuzrobbed :huh: :wall: :biggrinbo :(

And now we wait ALL spring, ALL summer, and into the fall to find out WTH was going on with those flash forwards at the end! :eek:

manhn

You are my way. This is Us, waahhhh! The flashforwards are going to ruin me. BETH BETTER BE OKAY IN THE FUTURE!!!!

BaileyCatts

...... BETH BETTER BE OKAY IN THE FUTURE!!!!

I actually think that part refers to Deja, not Beth, and that Deja is in prison 10 years in the future. Starts with her bashing up the car, can't get over her mom rejecting her, becomes a delinquent, gets involved with the wrong crowd .... yada yada yada. Deja is in prison and that is who Future Tess doesn't wanna go see cause she hates seeing her behind bars. Rest easy .... Beth is fine. :p

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
You are my way. This is Us, waahhhh! The flashforwards are going to ruin me. BETH BETTER BE OKAY IN THE FUTURE!!!!

I also think the conversation is about Beth or Rebecca and not Deja. I've been faked out by this show too many times lol. I think Deja is too much the obvious conclusion.

manhn

I agree. There are too many reasons why the show would not take the stereotypical route with Deja. If not Beth, it could be Annie. We have no idea what she is up to.

Eta; Rise is carbon copy of Glee, it is quite remarkable the resemblance.

BaileyCatts

eh, I'm stickin' with the Deja angle. :p But on the other hand, I don't think Toby will be dealing with depression in a year since they made such a point of his parents discussing it with him. It will be another type of illness, like maybe another heart attack, or cancer diagnosis, or something along those lines.

Its kinda weird, but while I do like This Is Us and do cry like a baby at times, part of me also gets v-e-r-y cynical about the conversations and interactions between the siblings and parents. Do bothers and sisters really communicate this way in real life like Kate/Kevin/Randall do? Do parents really interact with their children and speak to them like Jack and Rebecca? Cause that sure the hell ain't the way it is/was in my family. But that's another thread .... and its a TV show so whatevs. :p

Allskate

Those flashforwards! Why can't This is Us give us just two minutes of unadulterated happiness.

I think the Deja story is going to be a rollercoaster. And there are going to be intersections with Randall and his parents.

Did that clip of Kevin on the plane with Beth's cousin say they were going to Vietnam? That will be interesting.

manhn

Maybe we should play Worst Case Scenario. Maybe it is 4 years later for Kate and Toby. And Toby just finished watching the Olympics Pairs, and Sui and Han lost gold to Tar/Mor, who returned to their Candyman long.

Yes, Kevin and the cousin flew to Vietnam. I like that this storyline is more hopeful in tone.

VGThuy

This is Us is a show I watch regularly and enjoy for the most part despite some issues I have. However, it has gotten more and more maudlin and it's like they realize how much that sells. It's like how Call the Midwife is now or has been for a few seasons.

topaz

The recent episode of IZombie - "Brainless in Seattle part 1" was absolutely laugh out loud funny. One of the best episodes of the series.

Kuurisu

My opinion - if there is a particular show that warrants live commentary it should at least have its own thread and not get lumped in here. This has been done before for shows like Dancing with the Stars where there is a mix of live and post airing comments.
Preferably though if a non-skating related tv show is that popular there must already be more appropriate boards on the internet. At least Dancing with the Stars has a bit of cross-over interest to figure skating as both include music and athletic movement.
yeqh, that's why i asked because that makes more sense to me lol.

My emoji reaction to This Is Us tonight..... :fragile::swoon::yikes::lol::eek::wuzrobbed:huh::wall::biggrinbo:(

And now we wait ALL spring, ALL summer, and into the fall to find out WTH was going on with those flash forwards at the end! :eek:
their cliffhangers are always so frustrating!

Its kinda weird, but while I do like This Is Us and do cry like a baby at times, part of me also gets v-e-r-y cynical about the conversations and interactions between the siblings and parents. Do bothers and sisters really communicate this way in real life like Kate/Kevin/Randall do? Do parents really interact with their children and speak to them like Jack and Rebecca? Cause that sure the hell ain't the way it is/was in my family. But that's another thread .... and its a TV show so whatevs. :p

what do you mean? your family wasn't that way in a bad way or in a good way?

manhn

I don't see Kate/Kevin/Randall in their teen and child versions as particularly beyond how real life kid and teen siblings interact. Even their adult versions. They all live in different parts of the country. So, they're not one of those TV siblings that hang out everyday or live next door to each other. They only ever see each when there's a big event or crisis.

Interesting that people think the show is getting more maudlin. I found the last three episodes to be fairly lowkey, with Jack's death being the emotional climax of the season. Last season, they ended the show with William's death, a huge argument between Rebecca and Jack.

Susan1

I don't see Kate/Kevin/Randall in their teen and child versions as particularly beyond how real life kid and teen siblings interact. Even their adult versions. They all live in different parts of the country. So, they're not one of those TV siblings that hang out everyday or live next door to each other. They only ever see each when there's a big event or crisis.

Interesting that people think the show is getting more maudlin. I found the last three episodes to be fairly lowkey, with Jack's death being the emotional climax of the season. Last season, they ended the show with William's death, a huge argument between Rebecca and Jack.

I still watch it, but I don't really like it. I'm waiting for something to "move" me. (I cry during Nashville reruns on AXSTV!) I'm not holding my breath for the cliffhanger resolution or anything. The time changes still confuse me. I wish they would put a year at the bottom. Why do we care what happens to whoever in the future? I guess we've seen their tortured past and they ran out of drama for the present.

Making a whole wedding about your dead father is the definition of maudlin. They are all supposed to move on now? Uh, your mother did. She's remarried. He's standing right next to her. She's still allowed to be sad about losing the love of her life.

Kate saying she has always wanted to be just like her mother. That's why she's been a b*tch to her for years? Not much of a compliment. I think Toby's parents were right. And I don't even like Toby.

Even the cable company is confused. When they haven't listed what is going to happen in a particular episode, it says something about how a bunch of strangers come together and happen to have the same birthday. Even I know that's not right. :)

BaileyCatts

what do you mean? your family wasn't that way in a bad way or in a good way?

Depends on how you wanna take it. I, in no means whatsoever, had a difficult home life. There was no poverty or abuse (well, emotional sure) or drugs or anything like that. It was comfortable middle-class Suburbia 1970's. I mean more along the lines of communication and interaction and how they speak to each other. We were more like people who resided in the same household than a family. Days could go by with no one speaking to each other (my mother was a master at the 'silent treatment' game) and when they did it was just mean, nasty, sarcastic ...... But, that's another thread. :p

Last edited:

Kuurisu

Depends on how you wanna take it. I, in no means whatsoever, had a difficult home life. There was no poverty or abuse (well, emotional sure) or drugs or anything like that. It was comfortable middle-class Suburbia 1970's. I mean more along the lines of communication and interaction and how they speak to each other. We were more like people who resided in the same household than a family. Days could go by with no one speaking to each other (my mother was a master at the 'silent treatment' game) and when they did it was just mean, nasty, sarcastic ...... But, that's another thread. :p
ah i see. well i can't speak for families since i'm the opposite of yours but on an extreme as well. basically what you said about living in the same house growing up, but instead we chose to bond with each other. still though, we spend much more time with each other than normal families. so "the big three" look normal for us as siblings but maybe it really isn't so IRL. i wouldn't really be an expert on it.

Japanfan

We're watching an unusual series called 'Counterpart' that Mr. Japanfan found (on cable in Canada, Showcase I think).

If it's not been mentioned here before, it's a about a world that replicated itself some years ago, and the two sides have since diverged (the replicated world has been decimated by a plague and is low tech, whereas the original is prosperous and high tech). Every person has an identical other on the side where they don't live. People can cross between the two worlds, much like one would cross through a border (permits required and such). One can possibly meet one's identical other (identical in appearance, but not in life circumstances or personality), should circumstances or certain players be in favor of that happening.

The series is quite stunning visually, with some elements that are Kafkaesque (particularly the title sequence).

The story is basically centered on spies/spycraft, but the series also has mystery, intrigue, a sci fi dimension, and a very interesting cast of characters. It stars Oscar-winner (Whiplash) J.K Simmons and features Stephen Rea in a bit part!

Really enjoying this series! Very twisty and turny, and full of surprises.

AliasJohnDoe

Headcase Addict
New Returning Shows for the week Sunday March 18/2018 - Saturday March 24/2018: https://www.cinemablend.com/televis...re-schedule-dates-for-new-and-returning-shows

Sunday, March 18
7 p.m. - Little Big Shots Season 3 - NBC (Special Time)
8 p.m. - INSTINCT - CBS
8 p.m. - Little Big Shots Season 3 - NBC (Time Slot Premiere)
8:30 p.m. - Brooklyn Nine-Nine Season 5 Midseason Premiere - Fox
9:30 p.m. - The Last Man On Earth Season 4 Midseason Premiere - Fox

Monday, March 19
8 p.m. - Love & Hip Hop Atlanta Season 7 - VH1

Tuesday, March 20
12:01 a.m. PT - The Standups Season 2 - Netflix
8 p.m. - Shadowhunters Season 3 - Freeform
9 p.m. - RISE - Fox (Time Slot Premiere)
10 p.m. - Adam Ruins Everything - truTV (Special Time)
10 p.m. - You Me Her Season 3 - Audience
10:30 p.m. - Adam Ruins Everything - truTV (Time Slot Premiere)
11 p.m. - The Chris Gethard Show Midseason Premiere - truTV

Wednesday, March 21
12:01 a.m. PT - FACE THE WILD - Facebook
9 p.m. - Little Women: LA Season 7 - Lifetime
10 p.m. - KRYPTON - Syfy
10 p.m. - Cheap Eats Season 4 - Cooking Channel

Thursday, March 22
12:01 a.m. PT - INNOCENT - Sundance Now
8 p.m. - RuPaul's Drag Race Season 10 - VH1
9 p.m. - STATION 19 (GREY'S ANATOMY SPINOFF) - ABC (2-Hour Series Premiere)
9 p.m. - Braxton Family Values Season 6 - VH1

Friday, March 23
12:01 a.m. PT - Santa Clarita Diet Season 2 - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - REQUIEM - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - MECHANISM - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - ALEXA & KATIE - Netflix
12:01 a.m. PT - SWORD GAI: THE ANIMATION - Netflix
10 a.m. - MUPPET BABIES (Animated Reboot) - Disney Channel

Saturday, March 24
11:30 a.m. - My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 8 - Discovery Family
10:00 p.m. - The Book of John Gray Season 2 - OWN (Time Slot Premiere)

Please post any updates I may have missed.

Skate Talker

We're watching an unusual series called 'Counterpart' that Mr. Japanfan found (on cable in Canada, Showcase I think).
Thanks for the recommendation - I will check it out. It actually appears to be on TMN Encore. They seem to be showing a new episode Sunday night then repeating it multiple times through Thursday before showing multiple older episodes, some repeated, through Saturday and Sunday before going to the next new episode.

I also did a check in the On Demand - TMN Encore - TV section and episodes 1-8 are available to "rent" for $0 so I will start there. I did briefly catch a glimpse of an ad for this series but it didn't really catch my attention but your description sounds promising.

sk8pics

I just got around to watching the This Is Us finale last night. I think I am done with this show. I could not believe the toasts that Randall and Kevin gave. And the flash forwards, ugh. I assumed it was Beth in the one, but the one where Toby can’t get out of bed, that’s the one that mostly made me say enough is enough. One of my friends had said she thought they were all so self absorbed, and I have to say it sure did seem like that in the finale. And the moony looks Rebecca was giving Kate. Oh well. I liked it for awhile.

Kuurisu

I just got around to watching the This Is Us finale last night. I think I am done with this show. I could not believe the toasts that Randall and Kevin gave. And the flash forwards, ugh. I assumed it was Beth in the one, but the one where Toby can’t get out of bed, that’s the one that mostly made me say enough is enough. One of my friends had said she thought they were all so self absorbed, and I have to say it sure did seem like that in the finale. And the moony looks Rebecca was giving Kate. Oh well. I liked it for awhile.
what was the matter with their toasts???

Meredith

what a glorious day!
I need to re-watch the last this is us, as there was conversation in the background. I'm still in awe of the craftsmanship that goes into each episode.

Kuurisu

I thought it was too much about themselves, not enough about the bride and groom. YMMV.
Hi.
I'm Kevin.
I'm Kate's brother, and it is toast time.
So Um To, uh My, uh, my brother and I have been going, uh, well, a little bit crazy the past couple of days.
Um W-We were going crazy 'cause we-we wanted make sure that this day was perfect for you, Kate.
And the reason we wanted to make sure this day was absolutely perfect for you is because that's that's what Dad would've done.
He would've made it perfect for you.
And, uh If he were here, he definitely would've looked at you and he would've said, "Katie girl in your life you have never looked more beautiful than you do right now.
" And he would've been right, by the way.
You're beautiful.
Um Mom, Randall, uh earlier last year, Kate said something to me that was, well, profound, uh She said, "Kevin, if you don't allow yourself to to grieve Dad's death, it'll be like taking a giant breath in and just holding it there for the rest of your life.
" I At the time, I didn't want to hear any of that.
You know I I didn't.
Um but here we are.
It's one DUI and a rehab stint later, and I-I'm-I'm thinking maybe you were on to something - when you said that to me, um - (LIGHT CHUCKLES) I think we've all been holding our breath for a long time.
And, um So before we toast Toby and Kate, before we clink our glasses, I think that the four of us should, uh, release that breath together.
I think it's important that we do that, that we just let go of those things we've been holding onto, so So here we go.
(DEEP INHALE) (SLOW EXHALE) (DEEP INHALE) (SLOW EXHALE) (EXHALE) (EXHALING) - Okay.
- (LIGHT CHUCKLES) KEVIN: I, uh I think my time is up.
Um (CLEARS THROAT) Toby, Kate I love you both so much.
I really do.
I am so happy for you.
I'm proud.
And I-I'm sorry my toast was weird.
I'm not an expert on marriage at all, but, um, this next young gentleman is, my brother Randall.
Please come save me.
Save your brother.
Come on, young man.
Ladies and gentlemen, Randall Pearson, my brother.
Oh man! You did good.
There you go.

(APPLAUSE) Um Those of you who know me, know that I'm big on control.
It's taken me 37 years to accept the fact that there's absolutely zero point in trying to control the future.
'Cause nobody knows where we'll be.
Not even a year from now.

RANDALL: Because while everything else may change, if you choose right, your people will stay the same.
Whether that's tonight or a year from now, or ten years from now It's time to go see her, Tess.
I'm not ready.
Me neither.
RANDALL: Katie girl, Tobias, when I look at you, I know in my bones that in choosing each other, you have chosen perfectly.
(SOFTLY): Yes.
To Kate and Toby.
Kate and Toby.
- (CHEERS, APPLAUSE) - Come here.
I liked your toast.
I've, um, always been a sucker for a good toast.
- Thank you.
- Yeah.
kevin's seemed fine to me, at most it was randall's that lead off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information