2015 - 2016 TV Season

PeterG

This isn't about how any of us do things ourselves. It's about what the advertising firms have discovered about general buying habits and how younger people spend more $$$ than older people, so advertisers want their ads to play during TV programs that attract those younger viewers/buyers. I fear every year that The Good Wife will be cancelled because it attracts an older audience than most shows. :fragile:

PeterG

I read some things about how that model is sort of outdated.

That would be fine by me. I don't like the idea of a very specific age group determining what shows will be on network television. But...if this model is outdated...are advertisers following some new example? (Not that I've heard of... :( )

VGThuy

Some think advertisers like this model and keep to it because it keeps the costs of advertising low for shows that may be hits but not necessarily hits in that 18-49 demographic even if sales and buying practices of those past the age of 49 may be better than 18-25 year olds. The whole thing was created in the 1970s when baby boomers started reaching adult age and were able to spend in ways at a younger age that their predecessors had not been able to.

Susan1

New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday November 15 - Saturday November 21:

Tuesday, November 17
9:00 p.m. - CHICAGO MED - NBC

I just wanted to say that I liked this so much more than Code Black. It was more ER/Grey's. I only watched the first episode of Code Black. It was too frantic and crowded and loud and "gritty". And I didn't think any of the people were likable. I've never seen the other Chicago related dramas, but this will be a good replacement while Grey's is on "winter" (in November?) break till January (which is actually winter! whatever).

Jenny

From the Bloc
Just watched the season 2 premiere of The Royals, and it's as dishy as before :) In this ep at least, they seemed to have gotten rid of the one annoying character and brought back the character I was missing, so hopefully this continues.

It's on the E! network if anyone wants to indulge in a sort of Dynasty meets Gossip Girl.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I just wanted to say that I liked this so much more than Code Black. It was more ER/Grey's. I only watched the first episode of Code Black. It was too frantic and crowded and loud and "gritty". And I didn't think any of the people were likable. I've never seen the other Chicago related dramas, but this will be a good replacement while Grey's is on "winter" (in November?) break till January (which is actually winter! whatever).

I enjoyed it as well and I think it should do nicely for you while Grey's is gone (although I plan to watch them both when they're both airing since they're on different nights :p). Feel free to ask if you have any questions about something from one of the other shows (they do crossover from show to show in small weekly doses) because I watch all three of them. :D

Nice debut ratings for Chicago Med and Chicago Fire was only slightly off from last week's strong numbers. Good night overall for NBC! :cheer:

VGThuy

Has anyone been watching the third and final season of HBO's Getting On? I'm absolutely loving this show and the three leads (Laurie Metcalf, Alex Borstein, and Emmy-nominated Niecy Nash) are comedic gold together playing three very different characters with three different approaches to their comedy. Metcalf is a comedic genius as the neurotic and hyper wonk of a doctor while Alex Borstein is so funny in a sad for her, needy way in her portrayal of the supervising nurse who's been beaten up by life and Niecy Nash plays against type as the understated, more put-together, and most mentally stable member of the hospital staff whose side eyes grounded in observing the ridiculousness of her environment while being a true caretaker are worthy of an Emmy. Who knew that Ms. Nash's best performance would be her most understated one? I think casting directors and producers need to let more actors have the opportunity to show that they can play against-type.

I love that the show is set in an extended care wing of a hospital made up of elderly women patients. It has a kind of representation we sorely need on television without hitting anyone over the head with it. It just exists. The comedy can be very biting, zany, and physical while episodes can have an emotional center that takes you by surprise. I think everyone should give this show a chance.

Last edited:

Susan1

I enjoyed it as well and I think it should do nicely for you while Grey's is gone (although I plan to watch them both when they're both airing since they're on different nights :p). Feel free to ask if you have any questions about something from one of the other shows (they do crossover from show to show in small weekly doses) because I watch all three of them. :D

Nice debut ratings for Chicago Med and Chicago Fire was only slightly off from last week's strong numbers. Good night overall for NBC! :cheer:

Well, yeah, I'll watch Grey's when it comes back!!! :)

Will the Chicago police one still be on, even reruns? But I can't watch anything about fires!!!

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity

Will the Chicago police one still be on, even reruns? But I can't watch anything about fires!!!

Chicago PD will be on all season but they just aired their fall finale last night so I don't know if they'll air reruns now or if something else is going there until January. I love Chicago Fire but I totally understand if its not your cup of tea! :p

gkelly

I remember seeing the pilot of Getting On but then lost track of it. I'll see if I can check it out On Demand.

Susan1

Chicago PD will be on all season but they just aired their fall finale last night so I don't know if they'll air reruns now or if something else is going there until January. I love Chicago Fire but I totally understand if its not your cup of tea! :p

And then last night's Grey's was all about burned firemen. Geez.

ballettmaus

Some think advertisers like this model and keep to it because it keeps the costs of advertising low for shows that may be hits but not necessarily hits in that 18-49 demographic even if sales and buying practices of those past the age of 49 may be better than 18-25 year olds. The whole thing was created in the 1970s when baby boomers started reaching adult age and were able to spend in ways at a younger age that their predecessors had not been able to.

And probably not checked for accuracy since then?

I think it's not as easy to say who's buying what nowadays. What about grandparents who buy their children and grandchildren stuff for example. And how many young people can really afford to spend a lot of money these days given that they may have to pay off several loans? Things like college, house, marriage and cars cost a lot of money! And given that parents are getting older, I'm sure there are a lot more parents who are over 50 and have teenagers nowadays than there were in the 70s. And my grandmother is a lot more receptive to all that stuff shown on commercials now that she's in her 70s than she was 10 years ago. Also, whenever I amuse myself by watching someone sell something on TV and there's a caller, they seem to be older women (and by older I mean that they sound like they're way past 50).
Many younger folks could also be more likely to not sit around and watch the commercials but do other things while commercials air because that's also a chnage that has happened in our society - people tend to cramp more things into their days.

I think someone should make an effort and test the model for current accuracy. Habits change. And it seems unfair and wrong that a model which is over 40 years old still dictates who might lose their job or not.

ballettmaus

That was the reason why I didn't watch fire at first either. But then I realized that the characters from PD make a frequent appearance at fire, so I started watching and I'm actually surprised how little the fire bothers me (and glad that the scenes involving fire are short and fairly few). Right now I'm more bothered by how they seem to turn it into a soap opera;
I like couples but this is really getting too much especially since I read that Severide is getting yet another love interest :eek:
I was surprised how much I liked Med; I'm not a fan of medical shows and it's actually the first I ever watched. Not going to be my favorite, but I do like the characters and am looking forward to see other characters on the show.

And speaking of the need to change the TV show rating system: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ng-same-day-ratings-tv-by-the-numbers-is-not/

Artemis@BC

Ok, y'all are convincing me to watch Chicago Med (I checked and it is available on my On Demand). I hadn't planned on it since I couldn't get into the fire one, but I do like medical dramas when they're done well. (Which Code Black is not, IMO. At least the 1 episode I watched.)

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
And then last night's Grey's was all about burned firemen. Geez.

And the guy who died just had to be named Casey, the name of my fave character on Chicago Fire, which gave me all sorts of feelings watching him be so concerned about his men instead of himself because the CF Casey does the same thing. I'm okay..... *sniff sniff* :cry:

Artemis@BC

I just wanted to say that I liked this so much more than Code Black. It was more ER/Grey's.

Ok, watched it last night and liked it a lot. I found it much more like ER than Grey's though -- Grey's is about the personal relationships (and sex!) first, medicine second, while ER was the other way around, and so far that's the way Chicago Med is too. Which I prefer. Especially at the start, when you don't know any of the characters so can't really care much about their relationships.

It did have a little stock-character-itis, but I'm going to assume that was just because it was the pilot, and the characters will develop over time.

Nice to see S. Epatha Merkerson back on TV too. And Oliver Platt as a likeable character!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Started watching
Jessica Jones on Netflix. Really like the cast - Mike Colter (The Good Wife), David Tennant, Carrie-Anne Moss. I was OK with Krysten Ritter and as a Veronica Mars devotee, I was looking forward to seeing her in a similar seedy P.I. show. It's keeping me interested so far.

I prefer Ritter in Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23. But I've been enjoying Jessica Jones.

ETA don't know why the quote is formatted so weirdly but I haven't been able to fix it.

Susan1

Well, H-E-double hockey sticks :) I just noticed that I haven't been DVRing Wicked City because it was cancelled after three episodes. Oh well. :confused: :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information