2023/24 Canadian Pairs: News & Updates

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Bombardier must not be serious about competing in singles because there comes a time when you have to choose if you really want to challenge the top Canadian ladies and you can't do that competing in another discipline.
It sounds like she was dabbling in pairs this year and surprised everyone- including herself - by how quickly she picked up the elements. I think it’s a good move for her and won’t be at all surprised to see her give up singles eventually.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Bombardier must not be serious about competing in singles because there comes a time when you have to choose if you really want to challenge the top Canadian ladies and you can't do that competing in another discipline.
Kristi Yamaguchi went to Worlds 1989 and 1990 in both disciplines but that was another era. Ken Shelley too.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I think Fiona realizes that while she is a good singles skater, she has the potential to be an amazing pairs skater.
And with dad to answer questions and make sure everything is safe, that probably will happen quickly. It took Deanna only a year to get her pairs skills to a competitive level and that was after being off ice for two O cycles.

Sonata

I feel like Fiona could get a 3-3 eventually as she has big jumps. She could easily be top 3 in Canada, but I guess her international potential in pairs is higher.

Kristi Yamaguchi eventually had to choose and she chose the right discipline …. But she and Rudy Galindo were such an amazing pairs team. I remember their “space” number and it was so different.

honey

I feel like Fiona could get a 3-3 eventually as she has big jumps. She could easily be top 3 in Canada, but I guess her international potential in pairs is higher.

Kristi Yamaguchi eventually had to choose and she chose the right discipline …. But she and Rudy Galindo were such an amazing pairs team. I remember their “space” number and it was so different.
Having big jumps isn’t the key to a 3-3. In fact sometimes too much height on the first is the whole problem. You need speed in between typically to help you, and if you’re dropping from the sky without a trajectory that matches the height, you land with a bit of a thud and no speed. Osmond for example, was a master at that sweet spot of the arc of the jump and she would land on her blade in a way that allowed her to maximize the speed and flow in between the jumps. Sakamoto also does this extremely well.

But a lot of skaters with big jumps have the issue of speed for combos. I would say Fiona falls into this category a bit. She also seems to not love the 3T as a jump and that’s a hindrance as well. I think it’s just not a great jump for her.

My guess is that after several years it became clear that the 3/3 wasn’t going to be something she could consistently get to and she’s made a choice to pursue a chance to succeed in another discipline.

I think her and Mimar would be a good match height wise, so interested see how this partnership goes. On paper there is certainly potential.

Sonata

Having big jumps isn’t the key to a 3-3. In fact sometimes too much height on the first is the whole problem. You need speed in between typically to help you, and if you’re dropping from the sky without a trajectory that matches the height, you land with a bit of a thud and no speed. Osmond for example, was a master at that sweet spot of the arc of the jump and she would land on her blade in a way that allowed her to maximize the speed and flow in between the jumps. Sakamoto also does this extremely well.

But a lot of skaters with big jumps have the issue of speed for combos. I would say Fiona falls into this category a bit. She also seems to not love the 3T as a jump and that’s a hindrance as well. I think it’s just not a great jump for her.
Interesting, that makes sense. I find age 17-18 young to determine you can’t do the 3-3, but maybe not in figure skating. She moved to Marcotte’s group rather quickly after winning bronze in singles, so maybe the decision had been made before her podium finish. Plus the unfortunate timing of the concussion afterwards stopped her from competing more in singles.

dramagrrl

Kristi and Rudy had technical content in their programs back then that pairs teams today have yet to replicate in any consistent way. She absolutely made the right choice to pursue singles, but she was a beautiful pairs skater (as also seen later in her professional career when she did some one-off pairs programs in SOI with Denis Petrov).

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I think a lot of us hope Deanna gets her fairy tale ending, but I hope Max gets his too

I do too, but I hope to see D in two kiss and cries next week where she doesn’t look like she’s about to complain as per usual lol

It would be a pleasure to see her happy and radiant regardless if there’s a minor minor minor mishap somewhere

Sylvia

TBD
Last week I posted the links to La Presse's March 4th four-part article in Deanna/Maxime's cheer thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...schamps-hot-cheer-thread.108626/#post-6565528

La Presse article today (March 18) on Laurin/Ethier before their Worlds debut:
Machine translated excerpts:
Inspired by what she discovered on television during the Vancouver Olympic Games in 2010, Kelly Ann Laurin was 5 years old when she asked her parents to sign her up for the Saint-Jérôme club. Shortly after, she met Stéphanie Valois, who is still her coach at the Excellence Rosemère school, directed by Yvan Desjardins.
Son of coach Sonia Gougeon, Loucas Éthier is a child of the ball who put blades on the ice when he was barely 3 years old.
“I really spent my entire youth either skating or waiting for my mother in an arena with my sister! », laughs the man who now assists his mother as a coach at the Bromont and Cowansville clubs.
She trained her son in singles until he decided on a career in pairs, a discipline which attracted him and suited his build more (he is now 6'1"). He was therefore taken care of by Stéphanie Valois, who was beginning to develop expertise for the couple in Rosemère.
The coach finally turned to Kelly Ann, knowing her desire to skate in pairs. She was only 12 years old at the time [he was 17-18 in 2018], which made everyone hesitate a little, including Éthier.
Kelly Ann Laurin confirms that the adaptation period was delicate: “I was embarrassed, it was sometimes more difficult, like in the choreographies where I had to be closer to him. I was like: nooooo! But I liked the discipline of the pair so much that it didn't change anything [for the future]. »
For his part, Éthier acted as if nothing had happened, convinced that this initial uneasiness would dissipate after a certain time: “I was not at a level where I attached so much importance to it. Our personalities and mindset in training were so similar that our big age difference didn't affect us that much. Both of us were ready to work when we got on the ice and that hasn't changed. In any case, there were so many technical elements to develop that I told myself that the rest would come eventually. »

Sylvia

TBD
Robert Brodie's article (primarily) on Lia Pereira/Trennt Michaud (March 19):

ETA - also cross-posted in the Pairs general thread.

Last edited:

screech

I tuned into the Worlds SP a bit late so missed Kelly Ann and Loucas, however I see they scored a PB of 60.18 and sit in 14th place. I think Lia and Trennt were a bit underscored for what they did (64.83 in 9th place). Deanna and Max however, WOOHOO! Personal best (77.48) with a 4 point lead going into the FP. All level 4s, and almost every individual GOE is 3s and 4s. Also, the happiest I've ever seen her in the K&C.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I don't know who I'm more relieved for, Deanna or Kelly Ann. I thought Kelly Ann was going to hurl on the ice before/during their program until the throw was done.

But good show for all three teams! My throat tickles from screaming for SD/D! :)

Sonata

Watched the post-SP interview with Deanna and Maxime and Deanna even speaks English in a bit of a Quebecois accent. I bow down to Deanna who not only is likely about to win a world medal at age 40, but also learned French in her 30s. Her Duolingo streak is extremely impressive.

pointbleu

Watched the post-SP interview with Deanna and Maxime and Deanna even speaks English in a bit of a Quebecois accent. I bow down to Deanna who not only is likely about to win a world medal at age 40, but also learned French in her 30s. Her Duolingo streak is extremely impressive.
Where can we watch it?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Her Duolingo streak just about matches mine! She was at 1712 when this written a couple of weeks ago, and I'm at 1724 right now. If I knew her handle on there, I'd follow her. She'd probably be a great help with quests. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information