2023/24 Canadian Pairs: News & Updates

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Lia and Trennt just won GP France! Woohoo, great skate, fall from Trennt on a double axel but Lia's throw jumps were spectacular! What a win, 4 points over the World's bronze medalists. Scored 128, really proud of them!

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

dramagrrl

If this means they are dumping that FP Carol Lane gave them that is great news for them!
I think next season they need to try someone other than Lane.
I am not a huge fan of the Les Miz program either (though I love M/M in general), but it suits them a lot better.

I can't remember - have they had programs choreographed by David Wilson before? They seem very much like a team that would work well with his style of choreo.

Last edited:

coppertop1

It seems like a Trennt and Lia have that "it" factor and seemed to have clicked. Lia was smart to choose pairs skating. I was a bit surprised last season when Trennt and Evelyn split but he has found a great new partner in Lia.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I am not a huge fan of the Les Miz program either (though I love M/M in general), but it suits them a lot better.

I can't remember - have they had programs choreographed by David Wilson before? They seem very much like a team that would work well with his style of choreo.
I think their SP was a Wilson/Bezic collaboration. And I think they did bring out a bit of personality from Brooke in the SP regardless of the criticisms it was a junior type program.

I just don't understand how Carol and Juris could spend any amount of time looking at their skating, their weaknesses, and think skating to "SOS d'un terrien en détresse" and wearing those outfits would in ANY way benefit them. It's akin to malpractice ;). And IIRC they suggested White Crow and Lane moved them to SOS. Sure White Crow is a bit overplayed at the moment in skating but that would have been a far sight better than SOS for them to try.

So try Wilson/Bezic for the FP next season as well or anyone else because as a repeat customer to Lane she isn't serving them well.

Colonel Green

I just don't understand how Carol and Juris could spend any amount of time looking at their skating, their weaknesses, and think skating to "SOS d'un terrien en détresse" and wearing those outfits would in ANY way benefit them.
I would imagine the thinking behind this program was challenging them to expand their range.

patterndance

i liked the les mis fs for brooke & ben!! it's more unusual music cuts & i think it suits their skating nicely. hopefully their work with bezic/wilson & repeating a program will help them project more to match the intensity of the second half. agree that i would love to see them work with someone other than carol lane, maybe a david wilson free if they can afford it? the short is doing a much better job at pushing them to expand their range and performance.

i have such a soft spot for them so it sucks to see them struggle, especially as they fall further and further behind lia & trennt.

also just in general canadian pair thinking -- deanna & max typically have my favorite programs julie marcotte has ever choreographed!! i wonder if deanna would consider working with julie on choreo when she retires in 2056?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I would imagine the thinking behind this program was challenging them to expand their range.
I get the idea but they were sold a lemon. I think it was too big a challenge at this stage. The SP achieved more in that regard than the FP did.

At any rate they and their team must agree to some degree if they are dumping it. My only motivation on saying this out loud is the hopes that the public conversation about encourages them to try someone different next season. They may not be able to afford a Wilson or Bezic FP but there are other choices.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Lol... while McMim's new FS might be a terrible bore, going back to their Les Miz FS from last season would be a terrible mistake. That program was ghastly and only highlighted their lack of performance skills. Those of you who think it is better than this season's FS are kidding yourselves.

honey

I don’t think the Les Mis free is anything ground breaking, but the music does half the work for them and for that reason alone it is a better choice than what they did this year. You can’t give a team with little performance quality music that doesn’t carry them. I’m sure the thinking was that they needed to expand their range, but the choreographer trying to stretch them also needs to produce something that works for their subjects at their current level of development.

I would not argue that what they did at Skate Canada in the free was showing them in the best light. I would however say that the music for the short hit a better balance of pushing them without being so far out of left field that it was a hindrance to their skating. It wasn’t 100% successful but I think it’s a step in the right direction and a check mark on the box of trying to develop some performance quality and musicality.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Lol... while McMim's new FS might be a terrible bore, going back to their Les Miz FS from last season would be a terrible mistake. That program was ghastly and only highlighted their lack of performance skills. Those of you who think it is better than this season's FS are kidding yourselves.
And you are kidding yourself if you think THIS seasons free highlights that less than last years 🤷‍♀️
But enough about them. their ISU bio now shows they have indeed gone back to last seasons so they agree with me :p

screech

It's amazing that in her first GP series as a pairs skater, Lia has likely qualified for the GPF.

I liked Walsh/Michaud, but with Pereira/Michaud there seems to be that je ne sais quoi that was missing with W/M. Who'd have thought that with a new team, and a team with one member in their 40s, PAIRS would become one of Canada's strongest disciplines?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Standard citizenship requirements are that you need to be physically resident in three of the past five years before applying (1095 days), filed tax returns in at least three if required, and then whatever processing time to get to scheduling the citizenship test, since she won’t need the language test having gone to school in the US, and then to be invited to the ceremony to become a citizen.

At the moment, the calculator on the website says 17 months to process a complete citizenship application, so depending on when she hits the 1095 days, she may be fine with normal processing.

Sorensen got his without an expedited process, and FB/S competed in Beijing. Those who had theirs expedited in the past didn’t make the Olympic team, so, being a superstitious type, I hope she gets hers through regular processing, but it also that it’s not a nail-biter.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

Colonel Green

Congratulations to Deanna & Maxime on their Grand Prix Final medal, even if it wasn't the podium level they were hoping for. I think they really need more smoothness on the throw landings; iffy jumps on occasion aren't a big deal in pairs, but they need more from the throw GOEs than they often get.

Two of the three junior teams made the podium. Sad for Martina & Charly, as she had a concussion and they were only training two weeks prior to this event. They have a much bigger technical arsenal than Jazmine & Kieran do, but the latter got the bronze here, which will make the junior nationals showdown all the more consequential.

Ava & Yohnatan, meanwhile, get the highest ordinal of any Canadian team at the Final, junior or senior, a nice reward after missing the previous Final and all the other health issues. They've been improving with every event this season.

skatingguy

decently
Do we know why Ben & Brooke did not go to Challenge, after saying they would?
I don't think we do - hoping it's not an injury issue. I hope that they decided that competing when they didn't need to was a waste of resources, and what they needed was a solid block of training to prepare for Canadians, particularly after the disastrous free skate at Grand Prix Espoo.

Deanna STELLATO-DUDEK and Maxime DESCHAMPS: “Never use SPF at night.”​

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member

Deanna STELLATO-DUDEK and Maxime DESCHAMPS: “Never use SPF at night.”​

Oh no, they don’t even say what happens if you do! My night moisturiser ran out so I used my day one last night and it has SPF in… :drama:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Oh no, they don’t even say what happens if you do! My night moisturiser ran out so I used my day one last night and it has SPF in… :drama:

Google tells me it's because "Sunscreen is specifically designed for daytime use when the skin is exposed to UV rays, and using it at night is unnecessary and may lead to pore clogging and skin irritation." and "At night, your skin is resting and working to repair itself, so it's best to use a moisturizer specially formulated for night time without any SPF getting in the way of making it harder for your body to do so."

Nice to know, lucky for me my night cream doesn't have it but I will make a mental note should I ever change :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information