2023/24 Canadian Pairs: News & Updates

Desperado

Just watched Deanna and Max on Tout le monde en parle. They both looked gorgeous and I never saw Deanna smile so much in a 10 minute span. :D

She spoke French mixing English in a very Montreal way. Maxime only had to help her once.

Following a question about her citizenship she said she would hate to have Maxime miss the Olympics because of her.

And she turned to the camera and asked Justin Trudeau to get things going for her in a lovely way.

TLMEP is huge in the province and I’m pretty sure D&M gained tons of Québécois supporters tonight, many who never even watched figure skating.

Desperado

Would like to add some Maxime content.

He’s open about discussing his ADHD, but did you know he started using meditation in the 5th grade to help him deal? His then teacher suggested it.

I was impressed and sorry the interviewer couldn’t dig deeper into his coping mechanisms and the effects on their training. I suspect the powers that be had no idea how interesting two older figure skaters could be.

Maybe next year. :biggrinbo

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I’m not in Québec and watched it through the Radio-Canada app (Ici.Tou.TV). I see the ep available now in the free version.
Thank you - the app worked. I don't speak French, but can understand enough to get the gist of it. Deanna was so open and lovely in her request for citizenship. There were moments Maxime said things that made everyone laugh and I wish I'd known what he was saying. I could easily understand Deanna as she speaks French the way I do lol, but huge kudos to her for learning it! What a force of nature she is. They both are :swoon: :inavoid:

Sylvia

TBD
Just watched Deanna and Max on Tout le monde en parle. They both looked gorgeous and I never saw Deanna smile so much in a 10 minute span. :D

She spoke French mixing English in a very Montreal way. Maxime only had to help her once.

Following a question about her citizenship she said she would hate to have Maxime miss the Olympics because of her.

And she turned to the camera and asked Justin Trudeau to get things going for her in a lovely way.

TLMEP is huge in the province and I’m pretty sure D&M gained tons of Québécois supporters tonight, many who never even watched figure skating.
:)

Desperado

Thank you - the app worked. I don't speak French, but can understand enough to get the gist of it. Deanna was so open and lovely in her request for citizenship. There were moments Maxime said things that made everyone laugh and I wish I'd known what he was saying. I could easily understand Deanna as she speaks French the way I do lol, but huge kudos to her for learning it! What a force of nature she is. They both are :swoon: :inavoid:
Maxime is a longtime Montreal Canadiens fan and said he was super happy to skate in the same amphitheater they play in. The host hit back with “you won more than them too”, the team is in disarray agin this year so laughter ensued.

The other laugh was about the host asking if a skating partnership offers the same challenges as a romantic relationship and Maxime enthusiastically said yes, that at the beginning it’s the honeymoon phase, then arguments arise.

The host asked: “how many years did the honeymoon phase last?” both Deanna and Maxime laughed saying “not years, months” pretty sure they were thinking “weeks” but chose to be generous. :lol:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Maxime is a longtime Montreal Canadiens fan and said he was super happy to skate in the same amphitheater they play in. The host hit back with “you won more than them too”, the team is in disarray agin this year so laughter ensued.

The other laugh was about the host asking if a skating partnership offers the same challenges as a romantic relationship and Maxime enthusiastically said yes, that at the beginning it’s the honeymoon phase, then arguments arise.

The host asked: “how many years did the honeymoon phase last?” both Deanna and Maxime laughed saying “not years, months” pretty sure they were thinking “weeks” but chose to be generous. :lol:
Thank you 🥰

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
We really are lucky in Canada, for the fantastic American women who have come to represent us over the years. Deanna is outstanding across two large nations.

I'm pretty sure she likes Canada more than I do these days - I'd donate my citizenship if I could. :lol:

Thanks for sharing and translating, everyone.

pointbleu

Would like to add some Maxime content.

He’s open about discussing his ADHD, but did you know he started using meditation in the 5th grade to help him deal? His then teacher suggested it.

I was impressed and sorry the interviewer couldn’t dig deeper into his coping mechanisms and the effects on their training. I suspect the powers that be had no idea how interesting two older figure skaters could be.

Maybe next year. :biggrinbo
In fact, he said he stopped taking medication in 5th grade, thanks to his teacher who gave him challenges to stay focused.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
So I stumbled upon a petition someone started for Deanna to get citizenship and it got me wondering. What exactly is her status in Canada? Does she have permanent resident status and if so how long has she had it?

Trying to find the information myself, I couldn't, I did learn that this month is five years since she announced her split with Nathan. And then I wonder how much time did you spend outside of Canada with her husband when everything was locked down during covid? Makes me wonder if she is going to get the time required in. My husband could not apply until he fulfilled the residency requirement post receiving his PR status. And that was someone with a Canadian wife and two children with dual citizenship.

Basically I am curious when is she qualified to actually apply for citizenship? Because it's one thing to pull out an application to the top of the pile but another if she isn't yet qualified to apply. With all the cute asides to Trudeau or people starting petitions, just curious how realistic this actually is.

To be clear I would LOVE for Max (and Deanna) to make it to the Olympics but I also want to know if it's even something to bother hoping for.

Former Lurve Goddess

So I stumbled upon a petition someone started for Deanna to get citizenship and it got me wondering. What exactly is her status in Canada? Does she have permanent resident status and if so how long has she had it?

Trying to find the information myself, I couldn't, I did learn that this month is five years since she announced her split with Nathan. And then I wonder how much time did you spend outside of Canada with her husband when everything was locked down during covid? Makes me wonder if she is going to get the time required in. My husband could not apply until he fulfilled the residency requirement post receiving his PR status. And that was someone with a Canadian wife and two children with dual citizenship.

Basically I am curious when is she qualified to actually apply for citizenship? Because it's one thing to pull out an application to the top of the pile but another if she isn't yet qualified to apply. With all the cute asides to Trudeau or people starting petitions, just curious how realistic this actually is.

To be clear I would LOVE for Max (and Deanna) to make it to the Olympics but I also want to know if it's even something to bother hoping for.
Didn't Kaitlyn Weaver and Piper Gilles get their citizenships accelerated through some kind of "extraordinary abilities/contributions" clause? I'm guessing that Deanna must be a permanent resident and is trying to get her citizenship the same way that Weaver and Gilles did. Don't know anything about the specifics, however.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Didn't Kaitlyn Weaver and Piper Gilles get their citizenships accelerated through some kind of "extraordinary abilities/contributions" clause? I'm guessing that Deanna must be a permanent resident and is trying to get her citizenship the same way that Weaver and Gilles did. Don't know anything about the specifics, however.
Piper was able to also use the Canadian citizenship path through her mother ( as I did for my kids ).

Kaitlyn definitely got pushed through. Just checked wiki and that was actually quite fast for her, three years from her teaming up with Andrew in 2006 to citizenship in 2009. An interesting case in hindsight because I don't see any exceptional results in their results before that happened to push them up the line. So maybe there is hope with Deanna and Max considering they have a world title :)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Deanna posted about being a CAN Fund recipient on Nov. 1, 2023: https://www.instagram.com/p/CzHxlokre1W/
I believe this was the first season she was eligible for government funding so she must have received her permanent resident card last year.
Okay, so it is a tight timeframe but if they did it for Kaitlyn it can be done.

My only worry with their process is it is so obvious Deanna is back on a plane to the US the moment those 2026 Games are done. So it's a matter of getting the right people along in the process who don't care and don't ask certain questions ;)

Former Lurve Goddess

Okay, so it is a tight timeframe but if they did it for Kaitlyn it can be done.

My only worry with their process is it is so obvious Deanna is back on a plane to the US the moment those 2026 Games are done. So it's a matter of getting the right people along in the process who don't care and don't ask certain questions ;)
Kaitlyn lives in New York so I'm sure all will be fine. ;)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I thought I read somewhere that Deanna has already applied for citizenship or is at least on track to get it before 2026 Olympics.

I think this is maybe just a case of making sure it really will happen in time?
The only thing I have seen is "in the process of applying for Citizenship" which isn't very informative which is why I was curious.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Piper was able to also use the Canadian citizenship path through her mother ( as I did for my kids ).
She didn't. Her mother was able to get it through her mother, but that didn't apply to Gilles. Someone here kindly explained this at the time.

Confirmed here:

Gilles had her citizenship expedited under what’s known as the “five-four” section of the Citizenship Act, which allows the Minister of Immigration to grant citizenship “to alleviate cases of special and unusual hardship or to reward services of an exceptional value to Canada.

Kaitlyn definitely got pushed through. Just checked wiki and that was actually quite fast for her, three years from her teaming up with Andrew in 2006 to citizenship in 2009.
According to the CIC news release,

Ms. Weaver received her citizenship at a ceremony in Kitchener, Ontario, today after a special grant of citizenship issued by the federal cabinet...

The Citizenship Act contains a special provision that allows the Governor in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister, to reward services of an exceptional value to Canada by issuing a grant of citizenship like Ms. Weaver’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information