U.S. Ice Dance 2023-24 news & updates

chameleonster

I also don't know if Vadym wants to drive across the border every day like Christina does. It's horribly inconvenient and tiring unless you feel you have no better choice, and Z/K haven't reached a point in their career where they would feel pushed to make that kind of sacrifice.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I also don't know if Vadym wants to drive across the border every day like Christina does. It's horribly inconvenient and tiring unless you feel you have no better choice, and Z/K haven't reached a point in their career where they would feel pushed to make that kind of sacrifice.
He’s not a citizen? He’s been skating for the U.S. for quite a while.

chameleonster

He’s not a citizen? He’s been skating for the U.S. for quite a while.
Christina and Vadym both got their green cards in 2020 and are on track to get citizenship in 2025. So at the very least I'd expect Z/K to stay with Igor for another year just based on logistics. Besides, they're his current favorites and top priority, anywhere else they'd go they'd have to share attention. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it would be an adjustment.

jlai

Question everything
While we are on citizenships who don’t have citizenships by 2026? I guess Neset’s partner? Anyone else?

ice coverage

At the age of 14, Vadym Kolesnik moved overseas without his parents to a country where he had to use a new language -- all for the sake of his ice dance career. I would say that Vadym already knows a lot about pushing oneself and about sacrifice!

(That said: For reasons not related to logistics, I would be surprised if Zingas/Kolesnik were to leave Novi.)

litenkyckling

I don’t think that Vadym would ever want to leave Igor tbh.

I do wonder what went down with cpom and Igor because don’t forget they left Novi with nowhere confirmed and this was 2/3 weeks following the Nationals they were forced to withdraw from - which arguably did a number on their momentum at that point. Heavily rumoured that the positive case they had contact with was Vadym himself.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I remember an interview with Igor some time ago. I want to say it was after Carriera/Ponomarenko won silver in 2018 Junior Worlds because in the course of answering questions about working with D/W and V/M and about when he recognised their greatness he raved about Avonley/Vadym in essense comparing his excitement about their potential to those two veteran teams.

And it really stood out to me because I was aware his current top ranked junior team were reigning junior world medallists. So with that he told me he saw no potential in them and they were not a priority. So I can only imagine how they might have felt if they read or saw that interview. And speculate about how hard it must be to train in that rink.

My interest in them these days is the same for other teams like them. All skaters work their asses off to get to this level and when I see a team who is clearly just a revenue stream for their coaching staff, who publicly say things like Igor said in that interview, I want them somewhere where someone cares and helps them realise their full potential. And based on what we are seeing this season ( and have been seeing from Christina since season one in Ontario) Igor wasn't doing that for them. Whatever their biggest success happens to be in the future ( and I don't yet see them as a top 6 team that some here do ) I think they will walk about from their skating career with a lot more satisfaction and self esteem. And THAT is what I really admire most about IAM and their satellites.

So that was a very long winded way to say I can't see Vadym moving away from a coach who clearly prioritises him over others AND I can't see Scott ( or Montreal ) taking a team like them to the detriment of CarPoms.

chameleonster

At the age of 14, Vadym Kolesnik moved overseas without his parents to a country where he had to use a new language -- all for the sake of his ice dance career. I would say that Vadym already knows a lot about pushing oneself and about sacrifice!

(That said: For reasons not related to logistics, I would be surprised if Zingas/Kolesnik were to leave Novi.)
To be clear, I'm not doubting the depth of his commitment at all, I'm sure he is capable of making that sacrifice if he felt it necessary. It's simply less than ideal, and a factor into any potential coaching decisions. Although yes I agree that the reasons they are staying in Novi have little to do with logistics.

sap5

The way it's going Evan is going to be old and gray before he finally gets that individual medal at his 12th Olympics. 😂
But Madi will still be looking fab!
I listened to the press conference and he sure sounds young, “like” every other word. He’s 23. Fantastic skater but definitely not a mature guy yet.
That makes him the same age as Anthony and Christina
I remember an interview with Igor some time ago. I want to say it was after Carriera/Ponomarenko won silver in 2018 Junior Worlds because in the course of answering questions about working with D/W and V/M and about when he recognised their greatness he raved about Avonley/Vadym in essense comparing his excitement about their potential to those two veteran teams.

And it really stood out to me because I was aware his current top ranked junior team were reigning junior world medallists. So with that he told me he saw no potential in them and they were not a priority. So I can only imagine how they might have felt if they read or saw that interview. And speculate about how hard it must be to train in that rink.

My interest in them these days is the same for other teams like them. All skaters work their asses off to get to this level and when I see a team who is clearly just a revenue stream for their coaching staff, who publicly say things like Igor said in that interview, I want them somewhere where someone cares and helps them realise their full potential. And based on what we are seeing this season ( and have been seeing from Christina since season one in Ontario) Igor wasn't doing that for them. Whatever their biggest success happens to be in the future ( and I don't yet see them as a top 6 team that some here do ) I think they will walk about from their skating career with a lot more satisfaction and self esteem. And THAT is what I really admire most about IAM and their satellites.

So that was a very long winded way to say I can't see Vadym moving away from a coach who clearly prioritises him over others AND I can't see Scott ( or Montreal ) taking a team like them to the detriment of CarPoms.
I'm not as big a Z/K fan as others on this board are, but I do see their potential -- and because I do, I wish they would move to IAMO because I want them to reach that potential. They have lots of charisma, but their skating suffers from the same problems all Igor teams do, and so they will hit a ceiling unless they are just propped by politics. They (and every team) deserves better than that.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
If nothing else, the choice to send Bratti/Somerville to Worlds over Green/Parsons just proves what a load of B.S. the whole Body of Work guidelines actually are. After all, when was the last time Bratti/Somerville medalled at a Grand Prix, won Four Continents or placed sixth in their World's debut? When it came to Green/Parsons, BOW was thrown completely out of the window.
Different committees value BOW differently. This committee seemed to heavily value nationals results across the disciplines. For example, Liu/Nagy’s GP medal and higher SB also didn’t translate to a worlds spot over Plazas/Fernandez, who had the higher national finish.

Lara111

:huh: Have you not been watching? Emily has made remarkable progress over the course of this season. If your opinion was based at all on observation, I don't see how you can question "if the Whites are not going to make" bringing up Emily to Ian's level "a priority".
Her skating skills are not a problem and never were. She was always amazing and powerful skater/ She is not a dancer and straggling with pairing skills. She needs serious professional dance practice so that she learns to move to the music as a dancer. I am not sure if this is something that can be corrected quickly or at all. I think Christina straggled with upper body movements and she is very good now. Maybe something like that.

topaz

So, will Green/Parson stay with the Whites or move to another coach?

I would suggest they give the Whites one more year. I know alot of folks would like them to go to IAM which may happen.

I think the Whites(Tanith and Charlie) have several young teams they can build on like W/T who have chemistry already, they just need to work on their skating.

I would like the Browns to go to Zanni team in Italy; train with the young Czech teams as @Spikefan suggested.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Her skating skills are not a problem and never were. She was always amazing and powerful skater/ She is not a dancer and straggling with pairing skills. She needs serious professional dance practice so that she learns to move to the music as a dancer. I am not sure if this is something that can be corrected quickly or at all. I think Christina straggled with upper body movements and she is very good now. Maybe something like that.
My comments in the Nationals pbp threads have remarked on her progress with exactly that, her ability to dance and to move. Emily has shown a much softer back, more sensitivity in the way she moves her arms, and in her ability to extend. She’s showing a potential to hold and release tension like never before. I also think their unison as a pair has gotten much stronger. Literally every weakness I’ve been criticizing this team for has been improved upon.

I was not a believer in this team until the nationals RD. The clear remarkable progress they displayed convinced me that Bratti & Somerville are the team to watch out for.

DreamSkates

Carreira/Ponomarenko of course!!! :):40beers::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

And deservedly so!
Hmmm...I heard Chock/B say "if this is our last Nationals" and it might be. They are getting married this summer plus now that Valieva is disqualified from the last Olympics, the medals move around and the US Team all get a gold. So C/B will also have a gold Olympic medal to add to their collection.

I love the improvements Carreira/P have made this year. So proud of them for their skating at this year's Nationals and accomplishing a silver medal.

Jammers

While we are on citizenships who don’t have citizenships by 2026? I guess Neset’s partner? Anyone else?
I doubt N/M not having citizenship will affect them for 2026 they are looking to 2030 if they stay together. N/M going Senior is going to make the field even more chaotic next year at Nationals. I think they have the most potential coming from Juniors since N/K or any Junior team in the last decade.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information