From Russia with Love [#34]: Autumn 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrynight

I hope Tuktik doesn’t get demoralized — she is so competitive with that triple axel, and this is a great program for her along with major levels of performance badassery today!

The fact that Tukt can still there like the Empress she is and cross her legs, laugh and give a thumbs up to that score shows that she is in a different mental bracket to others. She's tough stuff.

Tuktamysheva would have been upset if she fell on her triple axel or something like that, but she knows that she's in the best form of her life. And as far as I'm concerned this short program is one of the best things that Tukt has ever produced.

So my fingers crossed for a strong free skate.

Previously, with all the juniors swapping titles and the senior girls doing well, it was a bit like 'everyone gets a prize'. But this is the season where everyone is pitted together and this sort of stuff is going to inevitably happen. Particularly when there is so much hype about the new arrivals to seniors.

The seniors who are competing - Zagitova, Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva are just going to have to get down into the engine room and ride this out.

Last edited:

Seerek

I wonder if Tuktamysheva would consider changing the combination if she risks getting called for a lip more often in the future.

NAOTMAA

I was impressed by Mishina/Galliamov. IMO, they looked a lot better than at test skates. But TBH the scores were pretty high for a debut pair. We will see if it continues throughout the season.

It's because every girl is a queen in her own right :)
And I keep a list ;)

It's easy to look impressive and score high with the judges when there is next to no real competition. Who of any notice did they face at Finlandia? If they had to face higher ranked teams chances are their marks would have been different. They have an easy GP schedule as well so I wouldn't be surprised if they made it to the GPF with high scores. But it will mean very little until they skate at nationals and beat there who they have to beat. Just as P/K who made the GPF (in their own debut senior season!) only to see their faults picked on by the judges harder when faced with real competition. And on top of that they still didn't get the ticket to worlds because they lost to B/K at nationals (and later Euros) who didn't make the GPF.

Dobre

I like the new/old Drumming Song program for Liza. It builds well. It's powerful and original for skating. It doesn't look like what any of the other Russian ladies that I have seen thus far are doing. I think by the end of the season she could really inhabit it. Please keep it, Liza. It's far better than fading into Oblivion among all the other warhorses.

I assume Liza remembers what it was like to debut as a teenager and then struggle with growing up. I just think at this stage she has some perspective and hopefully realizes that what she can control is her own skating.

Mad for Skating

Panfilova attempting a 3S combo
It’s UR but at least it’s something.

YAY! Her triples are the only thing holding them back, so if she can nail them, they’re in business.

It's easy to look impressive and score high with the judges when there is next to no real competition. Who of any notice did they face at Finlandia? If they had to face higher ranked teams chances are their marks would have been different. They have an easy GP schedule as well so I wouldn't be surprised if they made it to the GPF with high scores. But it will mean very little until they skate at nationals and beat there who they have to beat. Just as P/K who made the GPF (in their own debut senior season!) only to see their faults picked on by the judges harder when faced with real competition. And on top of that they still didn't get the ticket to worlds because they lost to B/K at nationals (and later Euros) who didn't make the GPF.

Yeah, I think this could easily be the situation. M/G are very good skaters, but it’s going to be quite a dog fight to get on that team for Euros and Worlds. I’ll keep an eye on them throughout the season.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Boikova / Kozlovski need to worry also with Stolbova / Novoselov. Already B/K are not as consistent and technically inferior to Mishina / Gallaimov.

It will be a fight for those Euros and Worlds spot.

I could see this happening. Mishina / Galliamov or Tarasova / Morozov battle for Russian No.1
while No3rd spot battle with Stolbova / Novoselob, Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin, Boikova / Kozlovski, and Zabijako / Enbert if they return in decent form. I'd give the edge to Stolbova / Novoselov as they are experienced with former partners for years.

Last edited:

mjb52

I just don't think this does M/G any favors. I really like them but it is silly to start positing them as such serious contenders before they even make their Grand Prix debut, especially in a field as packed as Russia's. Where things stand now, they would be fortunate to make the team at all with such strong and established pairs ahead of them.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I just don't think this does M/G any favors. I really like them but it is silly to start positing them as such serious contenders before they even make their Grand Prix debut, especially in a field as packed as Russia's. Where things stand now, they would be fortunate to make the team at all with such strong and established pairs ahead of them.

Its also silly to be dismissive of them when they can content for a top spot, thats like dismissing Trusova because its her senior debut when she can already beat an Olympic Champion. They already have a higher score than B/K on their debut also I doubt B/K consistency; werent they suppose to compete in Finlandia ? their Shanghai trophy FS wasnt that good maybe they need time to regroup now.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Your love for this team is clear. All of us have ubered young teams and skaters and know what it's like to want to see that team win. I agree with Michalle though; being this extremely unrealistic is not doing them any favors. Yes, they are promising, but they still have a lot of developing to do before they reach the level T/M are currently at. In other words, they're not going to be contending against T/M for that top spot this season. As said above, M/G will be fortunate to just make the Euros/Worlds team given the depth of Russian pairs. T/M could very well win worlds this season.

Also, just to point this out for the 12 billionth time since the implementation of IJS, scores between competitions should not really be compared--especially early season senior b scores.

Last edited:

starrynight

A bit shocked one of the judges gave Liza 0 GOE for her triple lutz.

I've actually time stamped it there - so you can click on the video and it goes straight to the jump (iincluding the dramatic layback move into it). It looks perfectly clean to me - and a superior lutz to the pile driver ones that a lot of ladies do.

I simply do not understand how a zero could be given for that? I’ve seen so many rough jumps that were botched given positive GOE before. Guess it depends on what the judge’s motivations are.

Last edited:

Finsta

Hope this motivates Liza to give her all in free skate. Alena is by far the best of Eteri’s girls. All talk of the others, but she exquisite and the one to watch. I wouldn’t count Liza out just yet though

zoe111

A bit shocked one of the judges gave Liza 0 GOE for her triple lutz.

I've actually time stamped it there - so you can click on the video and it goes straight to the jump (iincluding the dramatic layback move into it). It looks perfectly clean to me - and a superior lutz to the pile driver ones that a lot of ladies do.
What’s interesting to look at this is in comparison to Kostornaia she looks really slow both into and out of that jump though

zebraswan

Its also silly to be dismissive of them when they can content for a top spot, thats like dismissing Trusova because its her senior debut when she can already beat an Olympic Champion. They already have a higher score than B/K on their debut also I doubt B/K consistency; werent they suppose to compete in Finlandia ? their Shanghai trophy FS wasnt that good maybe they need time to regroup now.

You realize that they probably to deal with major jet lag to compete in Shanghai? St Petersburg to Finland is nothing. And scoring at the Shanghai Trophy is always weird.

Why don't you go start a fan page for M/G somewhere instead of irritating everyone here? The constant amateur politicking for them on a web forum isn't going to do anything except to get you on a few ignore lists.

Mad for Skating

I like both Boikova/Kozlovskii and Mishina/Galliamov. You don’t have to hate one to show you support the other. Personally, I wouldn’t mind a world team of T/M, B/K, and M/G (unless Stolbova/Novoselov come out of the gate swinging). Can we just appreciate M/G without bashing B/K? They’re both very talented young teams.

Speaking of Boikova and Mishina (switch to the 3rd pic) :)

This is so adorable! :)

zebraswan

Mishina Galliamov breaks 210 in their CS senior debut with a FS of 135.19, could go 140+ with higher PCS if they keep improving.

The Trash Can would be the perfect place for you to make a M/G thread where you can post to your little heart's content. Why do you want to turn people off them with this incessant spam?

NAOTMAA

Unpopular opinion but I honestly wasn't that impressed with Stolbova/Novoselov at the test skate. I don't know but style wise compared to the other teams who were there they just looked dated (in the same way Voronov does compared to the other men) to me. Personally they were 5th behind T/M, B/K, M/G and P/K. I don't think being a new team has anything to do with it either (although they have been together for over a year?) Maybe they will look better if they skate the programs clean but I'm not sure.

Of course they will be automatically competitive because they have maturity over the younger teams, Morozov has influence and the Russian fed. looks highly on her past success so it doesn't matter what they do program wise.

Mad for Skating

Unpopular opinion but I honestly wasn't that impressed with Stolbova/Novoselov at the test skate. I don't know but style wise compared to the other teams who were there they just looked dated (in the same way Voronov does compared to the other men) to me. Personally they were 5th behind T/M, B/K, M/G and P/K. I don't think being a new team has anything to do with it either (although they have been together for over a year?) Maybe they will look better if they skate the programs clean but I'm not sure.

Of course they will be automatically competitive because they have maturity over the younger teams, Morozov has influence and the Russian fed. looks highly on her past success so it doesn't matter what they do program wise.

Nothing personal, but I actually like Stolbova/Novoselov’s programs, particularly the free. They do have an older style about them compared to the young new teams (which you could call “dated” and I would call “classic”, but I don’t mind it. However, they need to get their jumps together if they want to make the team, and she hasn’t had consistent triples in a while. I love her to death and want to see her at Worlds this season, but it won’t be easy.

zebraswan

Unpopular opinion but I honestly wasn't that impressed with Stolbova/Novoselov at the test skate. I don't know but style wise compared to the other teams who were there they just looked dated (in the same way Voronov does compared to the other men) to me

That's funny...Ksenia and Sergei are my 2 favorite Russian skaters. What you call dated, I call old school and classic. Can't please everyone, since plenty of people complain about Eteri and Daniil's style too. Liza is hardly a COP queen but she has plenty of people who like her here. Different strokes...:rollin:

Mad for Skating

That's funny...Ksenia and Sergei are my 2 favorite Russian skaters. What you call dated, I call old school and classic. Can't please everyone, since plenty of people complain about Eteri and Daniil's style too. Liza is hardly a COP queen but she has plenty of people who like her here. Different strokes...:rollin:

Same here, I like both Ksenia and Sergei a lot. Everyone has the right to like who they like, as long as they don’t bash other skaters about it.

hanca

Values her privacy
Watching Russian cup 2, I think Vislobokova/Briukhanov need some serious ballet lessons. 3-4 hours a day may fix her sloppiness. Considering they now belong to Moskvina’s school, I am surprised she is not embarrassed to put her name under that. I am really sorry, I know there are some fans of this pair on this forum, but it is hurting my aesthetic feelings to watch them. Saying that, I don’t believe they will get anywhere because of her jumps, with so many new junior pairs coming through.

I am quite impressed with Sliusarenko/Tiukova’s school. After Poluyanova/Sopot retired and Orlova/Bakhmat split up, it seemed that they will have only one decent pair - Panfilova/Rylov. And suddenly, this season there are two new pairs that are looking pretty decent. Artemeva/Nazarychev exceededall the expectations at their JGP debut and now at Russian cup 2 another new pair -Raskovalova/Butaev - had a pretty good debut. 162 points and 4th place, not too bad for their first pair competition.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information