Royalty Thread #10 -Archie Phase 2 - Bold and Bald Still

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbelto

Something to chew on: Harry (and to a lesser extent William) both feel that the press is evil/bad/killedmymother and speaking to them is tantamount to high crimes and misdemeanors. But in Hollywood speaking to the press is really not that big of a deal. Stars regularly call up the mags like People and US Weekly to chat or get a "friend" to do so. So Mr. Markle calling up the press for the tux fitting might not have seemed like a big deal to him, and maybe before she met Harry Meghan wouldn't have minded either. But she's now in the royal cocoon and the situation obviously escalated.

Note: for many royals speaking to the press isn't that big of a deal. The Queen has had a coterie of royal reporters for years who put out good press about her. Same for Charles and Diana. When Kate got married she too obviously was told to never speak to the press and as a result for years no one even had any idea what her voice sounded like. She's relaxed since then.

MLIS

Something to chew on: Harry (and to a lesser extent William) both feel that the press is evil/bad/killedmymother and speaking to them is tantamount to high crimes and misdemeanors. But in Hollywood speaking to the press is really not that big of a deal. Stars regularly call up the mags like People and US Weekly to chat or get a "friend" to do so. So Mr. Markle calling up the press for the tux fitting might not have seemed like a big deal to him, and maybe before she met Harry Meghan wouldn't have minded either. But she's now in the royal cocoon and the situation obviously escalated.

Note: for many royals speaking to the press isn't that big of a deal. The Queen has had a coterie of royal reporters for years who put out good press about her. Same for Charles and Diana. When Kate got married she too obviously was told to never speak to the press and as a result for years no one even had any idea what her voice sounded like. She's relaxed since then.

I think this is a really good point. The Hollywood press machine runs on "leaks" and "exclusives" and it's an unspoken understanding that much of what is reported as news is planted stories and PR campaigns. The royals do it, too (I agree with many that the recent bad press about Harry and Meghan has been at least partly driven by Prince Andrew's office looking to take the heat off the pedophile they work for), but they are more subtle about it. And of course there is William and Harry's longstanding tense relationship with the press, and I have heard royal reporters talk about how William and Harry (and Kate)'s friend circles are incredibly tight-lipped and don't talk about the Cambridges or the Sussexes at all (except for Meghan's Hollywood friends, who are used to doing press and publicity a different way), and know they'll be cut out without a word if they do. So Mr. Markle might not have realized that the initial story would be seen as such a betrayal. However, that doesn't explain why he continues to talk to every press outlet that so much as looks in his direction, after his daughter has asked him to stop.

canbelto

I also don't think William and Harry's blanket "the press is evil they killed my mom I spit on all of you" attitude is the most productive way to handle a situation. Sometimes it's better to get your story out there before other people get your story out there with their own spin. Also it's perfectly fine to use the press to trumpet causes one finds important. For instance with the work Harry and William are doing with mental health if one of them sat down with a reporter and spoke candidly about Diana's struggles with bulimia and depression I don't think anyone would hold it against them and it might help people who are struggling.

Vagabond

Something to chew on: Harry (and to a lesser extent William) both feel that the press is evil/bad/killedmymother and speaking to them is tantamount to high crimes and misdemeanors.
I think this is simplistic. The brothers may well understand that the media did not literally "kill" their mother and that had she and those she was with on the night she died handled things differently, she would not have died.

That said, both brothers must be acutely aware that their mother was hounded by the media in the last few months of her life. They may even recognize that Diana herself tried to use the media to her own advantage but eventually lost control of the narrative. I think they are wise to try to avoid any repetition of history.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I think this is simplistic. The brothers may well understand that the media did not literally "kill" their mother and that had she and those she was with on the night she died handled things differently, she would not have died.

That said, both brothers must be acutely aware that their mother was hounded by the media in the last few months of her life. They may even recognize that Diana herself tried to use the media to her own advantage but eventually lost control of the narrative. I think they are wise to try to avoid any repetition of history.
Diana may have been "hounded" but she was complicit in the hounding. One could never say she kept a low profile.
And that celebrity and "hounding" helped her to have the platform she had to make a difference in the world.

canbelto

But both have repeatedly expressed hostility towards any kind of media and voiced their view that the media killed their mother. Also I really cant see Meghan who grew up in Hollywood having SUCH a reaction to her father selling pix of him getting fitted for a wedding tux.

Japanfan

I also don't think William and Harry's blanket "the press is evil they killed my mom I spit on all of you" attitude is the most productive way to handle a situation.

I have no idea whether or not the statement was meant to be taken literally.

However, if they are taking an emotional POV, it could indeed look like the media killed Diana.

RoseRed

But both have repeatedly expressed hostility towards any kind of media and voiced their view that the media killed their mother. Also I really cant see Meghan who grew up in Hollywood having SUCH a reaction to her father selling pix of him getting fitted for a wedding tux.
Lots of celebrities, even if they may use the press themselves, are very touchy about privacy stuff. So I don't think you can really assume anything about what her reaction would be just based on that.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I think the media (and some fans here) forget exactly what they are "entitled" to know & to have access to. Diana may have paused to let the media take pictures when she got out of a limousine at an official affair but that didn't mean they had any rights at all when she was being a private citizen. When Archie was born & when he was christened there was almost universal outrage that they weren't getting their due as though Archie was a public commodity. For a lot of people the argument was "the royals are being paid, how dare they expect to be private". IMO the royals need to do their royal duties, period. They are not required to make themselves available 24/7. And when the media expects them to always be available they react with hostility. I don't blame them. They've had this over the top scrutiny their whole lives.

mag

Diana may have paused to let the media take pictures when she got out of a limousine at an official affair but that didn't mean they had any rights at all when she was being a private citizen.

I am not being snarky, but did you follow the royals during the Diana years? Her relationship with the media was way more complex than that. She confided in reporters, used them to get her story out, met with them in secret, had them into Kensington Palace to record hours of her version of her relationship with Charles including information on their sex life, and weeks before she died, she took a jet ski, with Harry riding behind her, from Dodi’s yacht, and rode across to where the media were on a boat and said to them “you won’t believe what I am going to do next.”

That is a whole lot more than smiling when she gets out of a limousine. It still does not excuse some of the things that happened, and yes, some paparazzi go over the line, but the majority of reporters in the royal press pack are just regular people, doing their job, trying to support their families.

Edited: typo that affected meaning.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Diana may have used the paparazzi more than most but when she said "enough!" they didn't respect her. The night they chased aka the night she died they did more than just go over the line. I would love to know what they expected to happen if they had caught her.

mag

Diana may have used the paparazzi more than most but when she said "enough!" they didn't respect her. The night they chased aka the night she died they did more than just go over the line. I would love to know what they expected to happen if they had caught her.

I would love to know why Diana and Dodi felt the need to flee. They were in his luxury hotel, surrounded by his security. Why the midnight run through the streets of Paris? Just stay in the hotel for the night and leave calmly in the morning. If it looks in the morning like you will be followed, call the police prior to leaving. If you really need to leave for some reason, just leave. Drive slowly. What could the paparazzi have done but follow them. Heck drive slowly around Paris for a few hours just to piss them off if you like.

Why approach the press on a jet ski? They were keeping their distance I suspect because William and Harry were with her. Why not just leave it? Why taunt them especially with your son on the jet ski with you?

It was a complex relationship.

Again, this doesn’t mean they deserved to die, it was a terrible accident

PDilemma

When Kate got married she too obviously was told to never speak to the press and as a result for years no one even had any idea what her voice sounded like. She's relaxed since then.

Kate and William's engagement interview. With the press. She indeed speaks:

William and Kate's wedding vows. She indeed said them and we heard her voice:

Her first public speech in March, 2012, less than one year after her wedding with press present to film it:

Where on earth did you get the notion that she never spoke publicly "for years"???

Reactions: mag

MsZem

I see the sea
And now for something non-British...

It's always nice to see Crown Princess Mette-Marit out and about, and a red dress is a great (and unexpected) look for her:

Queen Letizia did not charm me with this twee thing, but the girls look very nice, as usual:

Also at National Day:

mag

There is a difference in legit media and paparazzi. An it doesn't matter what Diana did.

On your first point, there may well be, although I would argue they are all just trying to make a living. It is also important to remember that many of those who are criticizing “the media,” including Harry, are not making that distinction. In Harry’s case he is also not distinguishing between traditional media and social media which are completely different things that just happen to share a word in their descriptions.

On your second point, it does very much matter what Diana did. She was an adult making her own decisions. The choice to get into a car, with an intoxicated driver and not put on her seatbelt was completely hers. No one held a gun to her head. That does not mean she deserved to die. It was a terrible and tragic accident. We all make poor choices quite regularly. Fortunately most of the time we do not die as a result. As far as her other contacts with the media, Diana chose to share intimate details of her private life with multiple reporters. She invited them in and even when they were keeping their distance, she engaged them. It shouldn’t come as a shock that they took the invitation and continued to report on her private life. Now that should not have included a high speed chase, but again, had the driver simply driven slowly what could the paparazzi have done? Get photographs of a blacked out Mercedes. It was high speed because the driver was driving at a high speed. If one of the paparazzi had died that night would we be blaming Diana and Dodi? I suggest we would not. We would be saying that person made the choice to drive to fast and that it was a terrible and tragic accident.

canbelto

The fussy high necked shirt dress is a trend that needs to go away. Noticing that Ivan’s Trump now favors this style too:

Parsley Sage

I did not know that The Queen takes an MP hostage before she heads off to open Parliament

Letiza's pink dress reminded me of Kate's blue dress from Ascot

MsZem

I see the sea
Yeah, no. Who picked that?
And normally she's so well-dressed!

Letiza's pink dress reminded me of Kate's blue dress from Ascot
At least Letizia's dress did not have a pussy bow.

I am sure Kate will have more exciting things in store for us during the visit to Pakistan :)

canbelto

I have a serious royal question ... technically the Queen still has the "right to assent" ... meaning the right to veto. It has not been used since 1708 but if she did use the veto ... what would happen?

Vagabond

I have a serious royal question ... technically the Queen still has the "right to assent" ... meaning the right to veto. It has not been used since 1708 but if she did use the veto ... what would happen?
This.
If not actually beheaded, she would most likely be deposed, just as happened to the subject of the film. British constitutional law has changed since 1708.

mag

Not sure how many might be following Kensington Royal on Instagram, but I thought this was a pretty cool shot.

This is the main reason I think the monarchy will be fine, even thrive, with William and Kate as King and Queen consort. They have a sense of the dramatic, of pageantry, of being approachable yet mysterious. Contrary to what some people may say, I don’t think most people want the Royal family to be “just like us” especially senior royals. They have claimed the title of the rock star couple and they are working it wel

I think about the picture created at Charlotte’s Christening. William, Kate, and George walking you church with Kate pushing that gorgeous pram. Then that contrasted with the photo of George on tip toe looking in the pram or standing with a serious look on his face listening to the adults talking out side the church. The same contrast was struck in Victoria, BC between the way the family came down the step of the plane on their arrival and the way they arrived at the children’s party.

They and their staff understand how to walk the line between private and public, between formal and casual. It is quite a skill and one that is being carefully honed at every outing. There appears to be lots of warmth and love but also discipline and reliability.

The Queen must feel so relieved to know all she has dedicated her life to will be left in such good hands.

Lorac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information