#TeamTrainwreck 12: Done in by a World of Fun!

SamuraiK

Thanks to :sekret:
https://twitter.com/pandaatlarge/status/986990074645495808
Are we ready for Peng becoming a Leftover of the Leftovers? :watch::eek:

3 oevrseas chinese girls approached? Zhang?:encore:
#untilthebitterend
#andfurther

The fears are more centered around Ice Dance. It seems the breaking of Wang/Liu is unavoidable. CHN is running against a deadline for a decent showing at the team event in 2022.

as for single ladies, they definetly need to import... I say any of Wang/Hong/Ma. Zhang would be the most worthless investment ever.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
https://instagram.com/p/BhelzEcjXhF/
:rolleyes:

So, has she decided to follow TM1’s route?
step 1: changing hairstyle
Step 2: retirement ?

If I had a dollar for each time @Ka3sha used :rolleyes: when discussing TM2, I'd be a rich man! :lol:

#pairs
#nevertoolate

I actually think a Stavitskaya comeback in singles is more realistic. Maybe skating for AZE, with that crazy hair! I bet she could still manage a 3toe and 3sal. That would be enough to qualify for Worlds. :love:

Slay TM2! Our queen! :glamor:

Dobre

The fears are more centered around Ice Dance. It seems the breaking of Wang/Liu is unavoidable. CHN is running against a deadline for a decent showing at the team event in 2022.

Ice dance does not work that fast. If China wants a brand new partnership to climb the ranks in four years, they would probably have to import a high-level foreign partner from a major ice dance power (Russia, the U.S., France, Italy). And since there is no pool of high-level foreign senior athletes of Chinese descent in ice dance--a foreign partner that is not Chinese. It would make perfectly logical sense, but I don't see China doing it. (And even if they did, there is no guarantee it would get a team much higher than Wang & Liu, themselves, finished at Worlds last season).

Vagabond

there is no pool of high-level foreign senior athletes of Chinese descent in ice dance--a foreign partner that is not Chinese
All it takes is one or at most two. But I don't think China can meet Madison Chock's asking price.

Dobre

A partner that A. isn't already making the World team at home, B. can get released from his/her federation, C. would see a benefit in starting over with Wang or Liu, and D. is old enough to climb the ranks in only four years.

Thinking Riazanova/Pogrebinsky/Yanovskaya territory here. (Actually Wang is tall enough to plausibly get quite a talented partner and Liu is short enough to possibly get a talented guy as well). But China's own immigration policy makes the typical avenue for finding a high-quality dance partner not-so-plausible.

All it takes is one

Well, dance coaches have been known to find athletes from what seems like thin air at times.

But can you think of one that is a possibility? Maybe an athlete like Zhao Kai Pang of Canada? Is he of Chinese descent? I liked Pang & Edwards quite a bit. But he never competed as a senior, hasn't competed for two years, and went back to school. Would he be any more competitive skating with Wang than the current team? In four years? A hesitant maybe. (I think it's quite plausible Liu is the stronger partner in W&L, though I like Wang's personality).

China can absolutely form a new dance team. They have other dancers. (And there are starting to be more young Asian American & Asian Canadian dancers on the scene. I can name several at the intermediate, novice, junior level). But the question is whether there is any good reason to believe a new partnership would be more successful in four years than the team China has right now--one that could be building off its current foundation by putting in four more years of training time together.

I don't exactly see greatness in W&L, but they have more personality & as much potential as any other Chinese dance team I have seen.

In the long run, though, there are some currently competing young Asian Canadian & Asian American dancers--at least a few of whom are of Chinese descent--that could be worth recruiting if China is interested in granting dual citizenship & developing a young team for the long haul. But I'd think too young to be skating with Wang or Liu.

Last edited:

RoseRed

In the long run, though, there are some currently competing young Asian Canadian & Asian American dancers--at least a few of whom are of Chinese descent--that could be worth recruiting if China is interested in granting dual citizenship & developing a young team for the long haul. But I'd think too young to be skating with Wang or Liu.
Maybe Jason Chan? I have no idea how good he is, but he's 21, competed on the JGP for Canada this past season, is currently based at Gadbois, split from his partner, and said in his IPS bio that he's open to other countries.

Dobre

Maybe Jason Chan? I have no idea how good he is, but he's 21, competed on the JGP for Canada this past season, is currently based at Gadbois, split from his partner, and said in his IPS bio that he's open to other countries.

Yes, he could be a possibility. I rather like him, and I think he'll find a partner. But as far as I can tell, Taileffer & Chan never finished higher than 8th at a JGP. Wang & Liu managed to defeat the Parsons (with two messy sets of twizzles) at 4CCs this year. So another alternative, but probably not someone who is going to carry a senior team up the ranks in only 4 years. Potential for the future with the right partner though.

RoseRed

Yes, he could be a possibility. I rather like him, and I think he'll find a partner. But as far as I can tell, Taileffer & Chan never finished higher than 8th at a JGP. Wang & Liu managed to defeat the Parsons (with two messy sets of twizzles) at 4CCs this year. So another alternative, but probably not someone who is going to carry a senior team up the ranks in only 4 years. Potential for the future with the right partner though.
With the news that Gadbois is going to be helping China reorganize their dance program, maybe it will actually happen. But agreed, splitting W/L is probably a bad idea.
The school's top coach will help the Chinese team to select and reorganize the existing ice dance players, pick out two or three pairs of dancers and send them to Canada to receive professional training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information