ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

Dobre

Paradis/Ouellette in 2014 picked up a spot at Skate America based on just their fifth-place score at Nebelhorn -- before that season (where they were also given a host spot at Skate Canada), they hadn't competed at any international more prestigious than Cup of Nice, had never medaled nationally at junior or senior, and the dance field is typically larger than pairs so there shouldn't have been considerable desperation on USFSA's part.

The top-5 athlete replacement list rules were ignored quite a big in the past, but the list was expanded to 10 last season, and I don't recall the expanded list being ignored. Historically, athletes have been invited to GPs due to Challenger scores & placements without a win, but the exception isn't written into the rules and was not made last season. We shall just have to watch and see if there are any selections from outside the replacement list this year.

I don't recall the timing for Paradis & Ouellette's replacement, but I do remember Stephen Carriere being a last minute replacement at SC. Skaters just across the border--or training in the same country--are sometimes the only athletes who can get there on time, and it is nice to see those last minute replacements filled. Every year athletes drop out due to illness, and we often end up with smaller fields.

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting from the Japanese news thread...

Article in English about Keiji Tanaka's withdrawal from Rostelecom Cup due to injuring a "muscle in his right hip-pelvic area": https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...res-pelvic-muscle-to-miss-rostelecom-cup.html
Tanaka was told by doctors he would need three weeks to recover, ...
According to officials, the 22-year-old Tanaka sustained the injury after falling on the ice in a jump attempt during practice before an international event [Nepela Trophy] late last month. He continued light training but was not able to regain competitive form.
"I will focus on healing and hope to recover in time for the Cup of China," he said of the Nov. 3-4 competition in Beijing, the third of six events in the series.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
We shall just have to watch and see if there are any selections from outside the replacement list this year.
Galustyan was not on the Top Ten alternates list when she was chosen. She's Top 75, but far down the list, even when you factor out juniors and Russian skaters (max of three).

The implementation of the CS rule, which before that was the winner-of-one-of-five-or-six-listed-Fall-comps rule, has been inconsistent from the inception. I don't see why they don't use current-season CS results intermingled to expand the list and make it official.

Dobre

Galustyan was not on the Top Ten alternates list when she was chosen. She's Top 75, but far down the list, even when you factor out juniors and Russian skaters (max of three).

I'm assuming you mean when she was chosen for last season. If yes, well there you go. What's the line from Pirates of the Carribbean? "Think of them more as guidelines . . ."

Galustyan is #63 on the 2016-17 list, which makes her the 10th person on the current replacement list.

Dobre

She's lower than 10th... I skipped over listing #56 to #62 on last season's ISU SB list. She most likely was invited this year as a late replacement for Korea's Park because Galustyan trains in Moscow.

Thank you. All makes sense now!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
HOW is it taking so long to fill Gracie's spots? Anyone else just losing it at this point waiting to find out who gets them?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
You often see the actual rosters updated before the grids are, and skaters tweeting their assignments before they show up on either. Clearly there are behind-the-curtain communications happening in some cases before the website documentation is updated.

Last edited:

RoseRed

You often see the actual rosters updated before the grids are, and skaters tweeting their assignments before it shows up on either. Clearly there are behind-the-curtain communications happening in some cases before the website documentation is updated.
Which also means whoever's replacing her may already know.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
To Nationals, I am sure. Cup of China ends on Nov 5 and Sectionals starts on Nov 14. So I have to imagine that's close enough.

Sylvia

TBD
Posted last month:
Wang Xuehan has been injured since the summer I guess she is not fully healed yet for Wang/Wang to take the pairs |TBD spot.
Wang/Wang (replaced at Rostelecom Cup by Ziegler/Kiefer) were crossed out of France today: http://www.isu.org/docman-documents...-6/series-files-10/entries/7517-gp-pairs/file

UPDATE - PAIRS with 1 GP assignment or none (link to 2016-17 ISU SB list)
22 Castelli/Tran USA - competed at Rostelecom
25 Cain/LeDuc USA - invited to Cup of China (replaced Kayne/O'Shea)
26 Ryom/Kim PRK
28 Ruest/Wolfe CAN
30 Efimova/Korovin RUS
36 Jones/Reagan CAN (eta: yet to compete this season)
38 Danilova/Kamianchuk BLR
39 Calalang/Sidhu USA
40 Stellato/Bartholomay USA - filled Skate America TBD
42 Butkute/Ermolaev LTU (eta: yet to compete this season)
43 Smith/Reiss USA
44 Ghilardi/Ambrosini ITA (retired after Lombardia SP; scheduled for Warsaw Cup)
45 Hase/Seegert GER
46 Liu/Johnson USA
47 Esbrat/Novoselov FRA - filled France TBD
67 Suzaki/Kihara JPN - filled NHK TBD
-- Kolodziej/Deschamps CAN - filled Skate Canada TBD
-- Mingyang Zhang / Bowen Song CHN - filled Cup of China TBD

Now have 2:
18 Astakhova/Rogonov RUS - NHK & filled Rostelecom Cup TBD
29 Ziegler/Kiefer AUT - assigned to NHK initially & replaced Wang/Wang at Rostelecom

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Gracie Gold (crossed out) has been replaced by "TBA (new)" for IdF. Has Gailhaguet claimed his host spot back?

Sabine-Yuna

Posted last month:

Wang/Wang (replaced at Rostelecom Cup by Ziegler/Kiefer) were crossed out of France today: http://www.isu.org/docman-documents...-6/series-files-10/entries/7517-gp-pairs/file

UPDATE - PAIRS with 1 GP assignment or none (link to 2016-17 ISU SB list)
22 Castelli/Tran USA - competed at Rostelecom
25 Cain/LeDuc USA - invited to Cup of China (replaced Kayne/O'Shea)
26 Ryom/Kim PRK
28 Ruest/Wolfe CAN
30 Efimova/Korovin RUS
36 Jones/Reagan CAN (eta: yet to compete this season)
38 Danilova/Kamianchuk BLR
39 Calalang/Sidhu USA
40 Stellato/Bartholomay USA - filled Skate America TBD
42 Butkute/Ermolaev LTU (eta: yet to compete this season)
43 Smith/Reiss USA
44 Ghilardi/Ambrosini ITA (retired after Lombardia SP; scheduled for Warsaw Cup)
45 Hase/Seegert GER
46 Liu/Johnson USA
47 Esbrat/Novoselov FRA - filled France TBD
67 Suzaki/Kihara JPN - filled NHK TBD
-- Kolodziej/Deschamps CAN - filled Skate Canada TBD
-- Mingyang Zhang / Bowen Song CHN - filled Cup of China TBD

Now have 2:
18 Astakhova/Rogonov RUS - NHK & filled Rostelecom Cup TBD
29 Ziegler/Kiefer AUT - assigned to NHK initially & replaced Wang/Wang at Rostelecom
Does ISU SB list 2017/ 2018 totally not count?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information