From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

zoe111

How dare you tarnish the reputation of my favorite Slutskaya!?

She is the second most balletic skater of all time, behind only Elvis Stojko.
Now that's quite funny! Seriously I don't get the Zagitova love. She's consistent, she has a loop in combo are the pluses, but her musicality is zero, her skating skills and posture are poor. Yeurk

oleada

I don't get the Zagitova dislike, actually. I think she's even better than Medvedeva.
anyone else think so?

I don't think she's better than Evgenia but I do think some of the dislike is over the top, and I think it's more a reaction to her program layout than her as a skater. She is not my favorite but she is talented and charming, and has improved a lot in the past season. I can think of many skaters with a lot worse posture.

hanca

Values her privacy
I don't get the Zagitova dislike, actually. I think she's even better than Medvedeva.
anyone else think so?
I am not sure if Zagitova remain as calm under pressure as Medvedeva. I am also not sure if she can manage to be as consistent as Medvedeva. Only time will show us if she can be consistent, and if she can handle the pressure. But there is something in Zagitova's skating that I like more than in Medvedeva's skating. It seems to me that Zagitova puts in more feelings. Medvedeva is like a pleasant robot - reliable, technically brilliant but I am missing the spart, the feelings... with Zagitova the feelings are more visible, more believable.

hanca

Values her privacy
That's my impression too. Of course, very few people are as calm under pressure as Medvedeva!
Well, last season she was calm under pressure. This season she did only one competition and had a mistake in the SP. i would give her the benefit of doubt because it was her first international competition in seniors, and it is early in the season so we can't blame her that she is not fully fit yet. But we will see if she has any problems staying calm later on.

Ka3sha

As I mentioned earlier in some other thread, I actually like her. I know that she doesn't have great SS, her programs and posture could be better, she is another Tutberidze's girl with tanos, rippons (hers are actually quite good) and jumps in the second half and still I like for some unknown reason.
She is technically solid, her 3Lz-3Lo is great and I like that her jumps (mostly in the free program) hit most of the accents in the music. But besides this there's is something else..
Plus in comparison with Med, I think that Alina skates with more feelings and joy (not on Radio's level but still :D ), imo

Ka3sha

Well, last season she was calm under pressure. This season she did only one competition and had a mistake in the SP. i would give her the benefit of doubt because it was her first international competition in seniors, and it is early in the season so we can't blame her that she is not fully fit yet. But we will see if she has any problems staying calm later on.
I agree with you but at the same time Med's Senior debut at Nepela Trophy wasn't great. She had a fall and some other mistake, iirc

martyross

thank you for your opinions.
well if she wins this year she may disappear so it's better if she doesn't after all :D
it will be interesting to see what the judges do if both are clean in a pre-olympic competition.
she strikes me as a consistent type, i don't see her splatting and succumbing.
she was admitted in E.T.'s camp and she's winning. just the first fact tells something about her.

Madison25

I also like Zagitova.... I think she's authentic out there on the ice: she's a cute, simple girl.
The problem in the short might be due to the fact that the entry to the axel is not yet very stable and comfortable for her.
And Medvedeva is not very stable, in the sense that she doesn't make any mistake... she had some falls during her competitions but with no impact on scoring :D

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
Alexandra Trusova is training to do a 3A

Daniil Gleikhengauz, a coach within the Eteri Tutberidze group, reports that Alexandra Trusova is training to do a 3A

[Gleikhengauz said:] "The 3A is not as good as the 4S, and it has not yet been included in her programs. The priority is to perfect the existing content first. Last season, Sasha and I also worked on a 4T, as well as a 4S, but the 4S was better and so we decided to focus on that.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Medvedeva's 80 in the sp at ONT is wayyy overboard at this point in the season. What are the judges looking at? Give her the tech scores if they must, but the PCS are overdone. Are they going to allow Med to casually Rippon-lutz her way to OGM without really having to learn what it means to express herself authentically and to truly understand how to project to the audience without faux OTT miming? :duh: I'm so done with the Lolita-syndrome in ladies figure skating.

Here's an example of a young Russian skater who I might grow to love, depending upon how he matures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8OjT-M5Ebc 2017 Cup of Tyrol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTWFQHHIakY 2017 Salzburg JGP sp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBT7uPAVC2g 2017 Salzburg JGP fp

Right now, Egor Murashov is already fun to watch with his raw energy and wild abandon. When Egor mimes playing basketball in his way out fp with great funky music and bad music edits, the audience is right there with him! Why is that? Because Egor is fully and authentically committed to expressing himself with unselfconscious delight, and he's genuinely having fun. He's got a long way to go with refining, polishing & maturing as a skater, and strengthening and tightening his core and improving his posture, but he's very enjoyable to watch right now. It's hard to know of course, what will happen going forward with junior skaters, but for me Egor is the real deal because he performs with personality. And it's his personality, not some overwrought made-up histrionics.

The fact Egor went from 14 in sp to 2 in fp, and 3rd overall at Salzburg JGP is due to a much better skate technically in the fp, but also to his fun fp music choices, his infectious performance ability, and his unusual free-spirited style. He's not a bland, typical Russian skater, and that's sayin' something. :D Egor does not have the lines, elegance and grace of Makar Ignatov (another up-and-coming Russian junior), but Egor is definitely a fs athlete with promise, and a born performer.

CatonBlades

Somebody knows how Polina is feeling now?Is she ok?I hope she isn't injured again.
I posted this question on Daniil Gleykhengauz's instagram,too,and on Eteri Tutberitze's fan page on instagram,but I'm afraid nobody will answer me.It's strange that we don't know how is her health or,at least,about her new free program-music,who made the choreography....

caseyedwards

Losing tech to the parsons? I wonder if this means b/s have given up and are going to retire before the Olympics.

VGThuy

I do think the lack of GOE love on B/S's elements compared to what Hubbell/Donohue received at U.S. Classic where H/D were 3 whole points lower in base value but nearly tied B/S's TES here is a sign that they have some work to do. However, different judges, different competition, etc. Plus, the Parsons were really on point with the levels today and they have an edge quality that is sublime.

caseyedwards

lol, maybe only after the Olympics. They are the only match stick holding russian ice dance together.

How can this be true when they just lost tech to the parsons? They are not even as good as the parsons according to the judges. They may be considered the worst Russian team now.

caseyedwards

I do think the lack of GOE love on B/S's elements compared to what Hubbell/Donohue received at U.S. Classic where H/D were 3 whole points lower in base value but nearly tied B/S's TES here is a sign that they have some work to do. However, different judges, different competition, etc. Plus, the Parsons were really on point with the levels today and they have an edge quality that is sublime.
Parsons just did what was required by the rules. They didn't do anything special. B/s weren't even competent here.

VGThuy

Honestly I have a feeling a lot of established teams can lose to the Parsons on tech. Hence the tech score not PCS advantage.

Parsons just did what was required by the rules. They didn't do anything special. B/s weren't even competent here.

B/S got the base levels that you'd expect from a top team at this stage of the game. As for the Parsons, they may not have done anything special to you but they hit the hard to hit level 4 on the rhumba pattern and a level 4 on the no touch step which the world medalists have issues hitting consistently. That's pretty damn special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information