From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

jenny12

Janny reminds me a lot of Julia around Sochi time. So many people say she is musical but to me she clearly does not know what to do with the music, and having some imaginary story does not help. She has clearly been instructed to do what she does on the ice regardless of the tempo or mood of the music. She isn't emotionally involved and the face shows. She can repeat the exact same skating whether what music is playing, or even if no music is playing.

Skaters like Kaetlyn and Ashley move with the music and skate to it.

I, for the most part, agree. I do think Medvedeva shows expression in her face but it does not add up to much, mainly because the choreography is very point A to point B and doesn't really go anywhere, so even if she shows expression, it is pointless IMO. I do really admire her consistency and work ethic, but she's not the type of skater whose programs I'd watch over again like other past champions.

Tinami Amori

I, for the most part, agree. I do think Medvedeva shows expression in her face but it does not add up to much, mainly because the choreography is very point A to point B and doesn't really go anywhere, so even if she shows expression, it is pointless IMO. I do really admire her consistency and work ethic, but she's not the type of skater whose programs I'd watch over again like other past champions.
Heard it with my own ears, how several classical concert pianists in Northern California with "names" and recordings, constantly RAVE about Medvedeva's expression of piano music during last two years.

One of them said the following "amazing girl, never seen a skater so absorbed into music while expressing every note with an element or a body movement; i'd like to play live for her."... The artist specializes in romantic piano music, including Chopin....
https://www.discogs.com/Nina-Postol...ahms--Schubert-Romantic-Piano/release/1039551

VGThuy

Janny reminds me a lot of Julia around Sochi time. So many people say she is musical but to me she clearly does not know what to do with the music, and having some imaginary story does not help. She has clearly been instructed to do what she does on the ice regardless of the tempo or mood of the music. She isn't emotionally involved and the face shows. She can repeat the exact same skating whether what music is playing, or even if no music is playing.

Skaters like Kaetlyn and Ashley move with the music and skate to it.

I agree. I never get the sense that she moves with full embodiment of the music, plus the way she moves is all arms with little to do with her torso. I think she's capable of much more nuanced and sensitive music interpretation but all those meaningless points-getting transitions (not her or anyone's fault really since it is the way you get positive GOEs these days under this code), streamlined choreography, and last year's mimefest hinder her ability to do so.

That said, I find her LP at the Test Skate to be pretty good for her. I also enjoyed her 2015-2016 LP because it was different enough that it was memorable and the choreography wasn't tired yet. Last year on the other hand...I won't say more.

Last edited:

Marco

Well, to be fair, by the time she skated the 911 program at Worlds, it was so second skin to her that the command was amazing. She is so precise and can't put a foot wrong, but I don't have much feeling watching her skate other than "oh, another clean skate".

In terms of program strategy, I find choosing slow music for both programs to be rather conservative. She is way too consistent and dominant technically to NOT venture out a little artistically. I wonder why she and her team didn't pick something louder or with a more dramatic ending. It's the Olympics after all. Good luck having a Shen & Zhao 2003 Worlds moment. Casual viewers will likely witness how strong she is, but also be left completely clueless about the actual skating.

ChiquitaBanana

Heard it with my own ears, how several classical concert pianists in Northern California with "names" and recordings, constantly RAVE about Medvedeva's expression of piano music during last two years.

One of them said the following "amazing girl, never seen a skater so absorbed into music while expressing every note with an element or a body movement; i'd like to play live for her."... The artist specializes in romantic piano music, including Chopin....
https://www.discogs.com/Nina-Postol...ahms--Schubert-Romantic-Piano/release/1039551

I really don't give a damn about these pianists. You can have your opinion, I have mine, exposing our views is the goal of these forums.
Why do I always feel you try to tell me I am NOT right? I stand by my opinion because it is me with my own personal background and eyes expressing my thoughts. You are entitled to yours which I will respect, but don't tell me mine don't stand because some pianists have said whe you don't even know who I am and what is my background.

chapis

it's good to know that we can not trust blindly someone's opinion just for being a musician.

Last edited:

chapis

This is what I want to see from T/M on the ice. Classic. Clean. With a bit of an edge. Sexy. Refined. https://www.instagram.com/p/BYIh6QagQTN/?hl=en&taken-by=tarasova_morozov. Is it too much to ask?

S/B have the same problem, great pictures:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWQCUFOD0Am/?taken-by=aleksandrastepanova
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVrApxpjx-q/?taken-by=aleksandrastepanova
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVJ6E-IjEKe/?taken-by=aleksandrastepanova

But they look so different on the ice :shuffle: .

Bellanca

Russian girls are giving me an anxiety attack. I love Liza, admire Janny, enjoy Anna, root for Elena and appreciate Maria. Now what? :drama:
Flip a coin? Draw names out of a hat? No, but seriously, what a problem to have, huh?! Depth, talent, etc... Sadly, only three spots. It is going to be heartbreaking when the team is announced - for the skaters - and the fans.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
While I wish she'd be challenged in other ways, because she has lovely physical facility, I think the themes are there to engage her in her programs, and I think they do.

Right now the most important thing for Zhenya is to win the most important competition in her young life. That's what the coaches are driving at. There will be time for challenges, exploration, stretching her artistic boundaries. They are giving her what she can handle right now, with a single goal in mind. IMO it is the right approach.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
That was really nice, although the veil over the face seemed like overkill. I liked that better than any other program of hers I've ever seen. I kind of wish she'd gone with that for a competitive program!

If this is an exhibition program, she has all the freedom. I am not sure what the purpose of the veil though, how it relates to the story she is telling.

Tinami Amori

Why do I always feel you try to tell me I am NOT right? I stand by my opinion because it is me with my own personal background and eyes expressing my thoughts. You are entitled to yours which I will respect, but don't tell me mine don't stand because some pianists have said whe you don't even know who I am and what is my background.

I have no idea why you feel that you're being told that you're not right and that your opinions don't stand when simply reading an alternative view on the situation.... :drama: sorry, i don't have a license in psychology.

Polina2006

If this is an exhibition program, she has all the freedom. I am not sure what the purpose of the veil though, how it relates to the story she is telling.
In the film, Anna Karenina also wears a veil in the final scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gClqXAnP_7k
After her affair with Vronsky was publicized, Anna Karenina was shunned from the society and did not want to be seen from the public eyes. Thus, she wore a veil, which also symbolizes her shame and regret.

Marco

Flip a coin? Draw names out of a hat? No, but seriously, what a problem to have, huh?! Depth, talent, etc... Sadly, only three spots. It is going to be heartbreaking when the team is announced - for the skaters - and the fans.

My bet: Medvedeva, Zagitova, Tuktamysheva

My wish: Medvedeva, Zagitova, Pogorilaya

nimi

Switching to pairs for a sec... I'm one of the people who found Zabijako&Enbert almost insufferably bland and boring last season, but I actually like their new FP. The music cut is kinda random but not too jarring and while (predictably) the program itself is not super original or exciting, it holds my attention a lot better than the blah blah Bublé FP last season. I might be actually rooting them for the third spot this season.

ChiquitaBanana

I have no idea why you feel that you're being told that you're not right and that your opinions don't stand when simply reading an alternative view on the situation.... :drama: sorry, i don't have a license in psychology.

{{{You don't have a license in psychology not in personal interactions, it shows for sure... It is not just in this topic but on other ones as well. It seems you have a hard time with people having a different opinion than yours, you have to snark. Your last comment shows it. But what I am talking about? Introspection is not given to everyone}}}

Back on track : I agree with the poster who has said that Med is packaged with what works the best for her at this stage in her career. We tend to forget she is still so young. We ask a lot of all these skaters to be well-rounded in all aspects, when it comes with time and maturation sometimes. That is said, when you are the one being chased, people will scrutinize every step you make, thus having a great mind set makes the greatest athletes.

Last edited:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Hmm, how do I say this nicely, IDK if I could handle Zabijako/Enbert and Tarasova/Morozov on the same Olympic team. While you can't deny that team Mozer are fantastic at the technical side of pairs skating, the packaging of these teams is just so subpar, especially compared with what Russian pairs of the past have given us. Can we please just have Moskvina or Nichol step in for an intervention :shuffle:

J

Jeschke

Hmm, how do I say this nicely, IDK if I could handle Zabijako/Enbert and Tarasova/Morozov on the same Olympic team. While you can't deny that team Mozer are fantastic at the technical side of pairs skating, the packaging of these teams is just so subpar, especially compared with what Russian pairs of the past have given us. Can we please just have Moskvina or Nichol step in for an intervention :shuffle:
what is wrong with the classic packaging of z/e? :huh:

J

Jeschke

The music is monotonous, they are stoic faced throughout the whole thing, they are not going for the big elements nor trying to be artistically superior :shuffle: need more?
Maybe I like them too much to judge properly :p

Tinami Amori

T/M packaging is hideous... perhaps they are competing with Best/Buk. Z/E are developing a style.... there is hope... :lol:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

I agree that the current Russian pairs don't hold a bucket to the past greats, but these are the pairs they have to choose from. T&M are very talented. It is a matter of time before they become world champions. It won't happen in this quad but they are going to be great, at least that is my hope.

I find Zabjako and Enbert quite lovely. Last year they were terrible in the LP but I am hoping for much better results for them. Like T&M they will do well with a classical program. If they continue together they may have a future, but they absolutely need to improve their technical elements in difficulty and consistency.

I will be very happy if Kawaguchi Smirnov the Olympic team but right now they are unpredictable due to injuries, just like Stolbova Klimov. I am not letting my hopes get too high for either pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information