U.S. Ice Dance 2021-22 season news & updates

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
2021 Top Dance Scores - Summer/Fall
*Hawayek/Baker (188 @ Worlds) yet to compete. Chock/Bates (scored 212 @ Worlds) skate this week at Finlandia (as well as C/P).

Hubbell/Donohue 207 USFS Intl
Green/Parsons 188 Autumn Classic
Bratti/Somerville 174 Reg/Sec MN
Cesanek/Yehorov 174 Chesapeake
Carreira/Ponomarenko 172 Lombardia
Pate/Bye 171 Reg/Sec MN
McNamara/Spiridonov 163 Chesapeake
Koncius/Shchepetov 135 Reg/Sec MN
-----------
(below teams have not earned the 43 qualifying TES for the FD)
Shilling/O'Donnell 130 Reg/Sec MN
Kowar/Carey 120 Chesapeake
Asher/Bogomol 117 Chesapeake
Murphy/Levitt 107 Reg/Sec MN
Cottrell/Palkhouski 102 Reg/Sec MN

15 teams can make Nationals. Assuming Hsu/Kolesnik and Nguyen/Smirnov show up at the next qualifying comp in mid November and do well, then there is room for 3 more teams (if TES score is reached) beyond the 10 qualified teams above.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Chock/Bates have launched a podcast and their first episode came out today (12 mins.):
They announce their RD music (Billie Eilish) after 5:45 - they said their original music was changed after Champs Camp.
At 9:30 - Daft Punk is their FD music, selected pre-*********, and they are calling this program "Contact" - concept is Madi is an alien and Evan is an astronaut and they "meet on a planet in outer space... the message is about acceptance."

litenkyckling

I'm actually really pleasantly surprised and excited about these programmes. Good on them for recognising that Olympic year is about strengths - we all know that theirs is Madi being the star and having a different style of FD with lots of storytelling potential.

Why oh why didn't Madi and Zach do the same this year!

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
JUNIOR DANCE Top Scores 2021 Summer/Fall
Wolfkostin/Chen 165 JGP
Ling/Wein 160 JGP
Flores/Tsarevski 154 JGP
Brown/Brown 154 JGP
Carhart/Horovyi 147 MN
Peal/Peal 144 MN
Neset/Markelov 140 JGP
Pham/Rogers 139 MN
Hauer/Starr 135 MN
Mullen/Mullen 127 MN
Malcolm/Lafornara 124 MN
Larson/Appel 124 MN

heartyxo

I LOVE the idea for C/B’s FD and it just feels very “them”- I’m so glad they’ve stuck with the “character piece” concept like with the snake because that is definitely what suits them best. Even if they don’t medal in Beijing, I can see that type of program going down very well with the public!

Sylvia

TBD
Chock/Bates have launched a podcast and their first episode came out today (12 mins.):
https://bleav.com/podcast-show/unlaced-with-chock-and-bates/
At 9:30 - Daft Punk is their FD music, selected pre-*********, and they are calling this program "Contact" - concept is Madi is an alien and Evan is an astronaut and they "meet on a planet in outer space... the message is about acceptance."
As promised in their first podcast episode, here's a sneak peek of their FD, filmed by OIP, before they debut their programs this weekend in Finland: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CUxi--RAjVR/

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I would love to see Madison and Evan as US champions again and on the Olympic podium. What do Madison and Zachary have over them? Is it speed? I feel like Madison and Zachary are really fast skaters but maybe not so much for Madison and Evan?

VGThuy

I would love to see Madison and Evan as US champions again and on the Olympic podium. What do Madison and Zachary have over them? Is it speed? I feel like Madison and Zachary are really fast skaters but maybe not so much for Madison and Evan?
Speed, power, depth of edge (big one), equity of difficulty between both parties, better knee action, and more content/difficulty overall in their programs. I think what Chock/Bates have over H/D are musicality, dance skills, lifts, and lines. Also, Evan Bates is an excellent ice dancer in terms of blade work and he can actually dance but the choreography since he joined Igor totally ignored him but it got better with Montreal. I still think he was best showed off with his original coaches but their 2009 FD and their 2010 Olympic programs were just big "nos" so I understood why they left even if Emily Samuelson's fear came to fruition.

layman

I loved Chock and Bates new programs! I thought the SD was sexy and sassy and I loved the innovation in the FD. The FD is full of innovative lifts, innovative spins, innovative transitions, entries and exits, innovative footwork, innovative, never seen before movement and best of all innovative music! I am so glad that they chose a piece (of music) that tells a story, has a great beat and is not sleepy and weepy. I love these programs!

Sylvia

TBD
Nguyen/Smirnov make it Instagram official:
And here's Smirnov's IG post (same photo) in Russian & English: https://www.instagram.com/p/CU-Wp8ir5pu/

They will compete to qualify for Nationals at the 2nd of 2 ice dance qualifiers, Nov. 16-20, 2021, in Alpharetta, Georgia - (ETA) I found the registered teams listed on the Atlanta FSC website:

Senior Dance (12)
Hilary Asher / Dmitriy Bogomol
Cayla Cottrell / Uladzislau Palkhouski
Sophia Domonoske / Thomas Schwappach
Sophia Eowyn Hsu / Vadym Kolesnik
Raffaella Koncius / Alexey Shchepetov
Klara Kowar / TJ Carey
Lorraine McNamara / Anton Spiridonov
Cara Murphy / Joshua Levitt
Avonley Nguyen / Grigory Smirnov
Livvy Shilling / Ryan O'Donnell
Tyler Vollmer / Riona Harris
Katarina Wolfkostin / Jeffrey Chen

Junior Dance (17):
Kristina Bland / Matthew Sperry
Oona Brown / Gage Brown
Helena Carhart / Volodymyr Horovyi
Olivia Dietrich / Eduard Pylypenko
Isabella Flores / Dimitry Tsarevski
Madeline Freeman / Christian Bennett
Madeleine Gans / Jim Wang
Mila Guberman / Joshua Soto
Jenna Hauer / Benjamin Starr
Rebecca Kerscher / Davis Ortonward
Anabelle Larson / Lucas Appel
Angela Ling / Caleb Wein
Romy Malcolm / Noah Lafornara
Caroline Mullen / Brendan Mullen
Leah Neset / Artem Markelov
Elliana Peal / Ethan Peal
Vanessa Pham / Jonathan Rogers

Last edited:

Jammers

And here's Smirnov's IG post (same photo) in Russian & English: https://www.instagram.com/p/CU-Wp8ir5pu/

They will compete to qualify for Nationals at the 2nd of 2 ice dance qualifiers, Nov. 16-20, 2021, in Alpharetta, Georgia.
Very interesting that W/C are also listed as competing in Senior dance despite having skated on the JGP this season. So i take it they are going to be skating as Seniors at Nationals? This is different then some recent US Junior champions who stayed on the junior level until they basically aged out despite having nothing more to prove Nationally or internationally on that level so i'm glad to see a team move up and not waste time deciding they won't move up until one of them ages out.

jiejie

Very interesting that W/C are also listed as competing in Senior dance despite having skated on the JGP this season. So i take it they are going to be skating as Seniors at Nationals? This is different then some recent US Junior champions who stayed on the junior level until they basically aged out despite having nothing more to prove Nationally or internationally on that level so i'm glad to see a team move up and not waste time deciding they won't move up until one of them ages out.
Yes, that it interesting. Usually dancers don't try to do both junior and senior levels in any one season, because they have to perfect two separate dance patterns for the RD, and adjust FD's to two different timing lengths. That's a lot of extra practice workload. It can be done though--Kazakova/Reviya of Georgia did it a couple of seasons ago. (But they weren't competing against a loaded field within their own country.)

RoseRed

Interesting. I guess Wolfkostin/Chen are aiming for a potential 4CCs spot? Though they'd need minimums for that.

wickedwitch

Yes, that it interesting. Usually dancers don't try to do both junior and senior levels in any one season, because they have to perfect two separate dance patterns for the RD, and adjust FD's to two different timing lengths. That's a lot of extra practice workload. It can be done though--Kazakova/Reviya of Georgia did it a couple of seasons ago. (But they weren't competing against a loaded field within their own country.)
It used to be more common when you could do the same OD in both juniors and seniors.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
They will compete to qualify for Nationals at the 2nd of 2 ice dance qualifiers, Nov. 16-20, 2021, in Alpharetta, Georgia - (ETA) I found the registered teams listed on the Atlanta FSC website:

Senior Dance (12)
Hilary Asher / Dmitriy Bogomol
….
Asher/Bogomol may have already split: he’s back on IPS.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks to @Stephanie for the heads up that USFS has published their entries on their website for the 2 ISU Challengers in November - the 5 dance teams assigned are:

CS Cup of Austria in Graz (Nov. 11-14):
Wolfkostin/Chen - senior international debut before they compete in the JGP Final in December
McNamara/Spiridonov - their first international together outside the U.S.
Bratti/Somerville - after winning the Nationals qualifier in Blaine, MN, this will be their international debut as a team

CS Warsaw Cup (Nov. 18-21):
Green/Parsons - their 2nd Challenger
Pate/Bye - their first international together outside the U.S.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re. Wolfkostin/Chen making their senior international debut at Cup of Austria (replying here instead of the ISU Challengers thread):
I guess the question is why? Are they hoping to get a 4CCs spot? Realistically, the 4CCs team will be whichever two of Hawayek/Baker, Green/Parsons, and Carreira/Ponomarkeno don't make the Olympic team. And there's still Cesarek/Yehorov and Pate/Bye as well to contend with for the third 4CCs spot.
It's never too early to start getting senior international experience? :) Glad to see Bratti/Somerville are being put in the mix as well.

Sylvia

TBD
2 features on Molly Cesanek & Yehor Yehorov before they compete at Skate America:

Fan Zone article by @clairecloutier (Oct .18):

Interview by Anything GOEs (Oct. 6):

A.H.Black

Apologies if this is in the wrong place and/or if I'm using the wrong terms to explain.

We just finished watching dance practice at Skate America. Has there been a rule change about how high the man's hands can be in an ice dance lift? We saw 2 lifts where the man's hands were way over their heads. I thought lifts could not be higher than shoulder level.

I tried looking in the newest ISU regs and communications but I don't have enough experience to know what I'm looking for.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Apologies if this is in the wrong place and/or if I'm using the wrong terms to explain.

We just finished watching dance practice at Skate America. Has there been a rule change about how high the man's hands can be in an ice dance lift? We saw 2 lifts where the man's hands were way over their heads. I thought lifts could not be higher than shoulder level.
If you mean H/D, there's been a LOT of curiosity about whether they're going to get dinged on that lift this season!

Whose was the other lift?

Debbie S

The lifted partner can be over the head but the lifting partner's hands can't be fully extended over the head while holding the partner. The arms can be bent.

Sylvia

TBD
They announce their RD music (Billie Eilish) after 5:45 - they said their original music was changed after Champs Camp.
Quote from the mixed zone at Skate America yesterday :D: https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1451309675933323268
Evan Bates: “I'm the astronaut and Madi's the alien.”
Madison Chock: “Actually you're on my planet so technically you're the alien.”
Podcast episodes #2 (Home from Finland) & #3 (Live from Las Vegas) are available to listen via your platform of choice.

litenkyckling

The fact we even have to have a debate about it is so annoying - the rules are so strict that they just suck out some of the potential creativity - it's clearly not a pairs lift and I just wish the technical committee could give teams more choices and more difficulty. Like bring back the proper second step sequence and make the difference between levels bigger - lets be honest how much do teams really get rewarded for getting MBYYYY? I wish a win or a step onto the podium was more down to high technical quality than racking up points with choreo elements ughhh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information