2021-22 ISU Challenger Series announced

Gris

不做奴才做公民
The speed skating test event was livestreamed so I suppose there should be one for figure skating too.

Unfortunately I seemed to be wrong. The rumor I saw just now says it won't be livestreamed and whether there will be videos is pending.

J

Jeschke

Unfortunately I seemed to be wrong. The rumor I saw just now says it won't be livestreamed and whether there will be videos is pending.
What the hell?
This Ice Star Minsk all over again and this is an olympic test event :mitchell:

In 2021 ISU should maybe think about compulsory livestreaming of CS events.
This is ridiculous and does not help the sport becoming more or remaining popular.

Constant wedgie checking feels so 2000‘s :p

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What the hell?
This Ice Star Minsk all over again and this is an olympic test event :mitchell:

In 2021 ISU should maybe think about compulsory livestreaming of CS events.
This is ridiculous and does not help the sport becoming more or remaining popular.

Constant wedgie checking feels so 2000‘s :p
I have to agree. I've been thinking about this the past few weeks after the terrible camera work from Lombardia, the marginally better camera work from both ACI and Nebelhorn (not to mention the fact that the DEU stream started late on the first day), and the ridiculous lack of stream replay for Finlandia this past weekend - and I think the ISU would be better served to have all of the Challenger events streamed over either the ISU's main YouTube channel or a dedicated one like the JGP, with the same production quality and TES tracker. Enough of this crap with questionable streams and camera work.

Karen-W

Denis Ten Memorial entries were updated yesterday -

Removed from the Men Entries
7 Mark GORODNITSKY ISR 5
8 Daniel SAMOHIN ISR 5

Added to the Women Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Kailani CRAINE AUS 1

Removed from the Women Entries
No. Name Nation
10 Alina IUSHCHENKOVA ISR 7
11 Taylor MORRIS ISR 7
12 Alina SOUPIAN ISR 7
20 Anna FROLOVA RUS 11

Removed from the Ice Dance Entries
No. Name Nation
3 Aleksandra SAMERSOVA / Kevin OJALA EST 2

seabm7

According to Sihyeong Lee's coach, H K Choi, they were not sure even on the departure day whether they could fly into China to participate in Asian Trophy. They had troubles with flights, visas, QR codes, and PCR tests. Sihyeong Lee commented that at the airport, they were worried for two hours waiting for the flight code turning to green.

Last edited:

seabm7

The ISU ranking point for Kagiyama and Mihara for their win at Asian Trophy is 250, not 300. Their results are not acknowledged as a Challeger Series participation.

Last edited:

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
and the ridiculous lack of stream replay for Finlandia this past weekend - and I think the ISU would be better served to have all of the Challenger events streamed over either the ISU's main YouTube channel or a dedicated one like the JGP, with the same production quality and TES tracker. Enough of this crap with questionable streams and camera work.
This is precisely why I do not get out of bed for this so-called Challenge series.

The season begins with Skate America.

-BB

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Denis Ten Memorial entries were updated yesterday -

Removed from the Men Entries
7 Mark GORODNITSKY ISR 5
8 Daniel SAMOHIN ISR 5

Added to the Women Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Kailani CRAINE AUS 1

Removed from the Women Entries
No. Name Nation
10 Alina IUSHCHENKOVA ISR 7
11 Taylor MORRIS ISR 7
12 Alina SOUPIAN ISR 7
20 Anna FROLOVA RUS 11

Removed from the Ice Dance Entries
No. Name Nation
3 Aleksandra SAMERSOVA / Kevin OJALA EST 2
A lot of entries from Israel have been removed. Any idea why?

Stephanie

USFS has published their entries for the November challengers:

Cup of Austria: Andrews, Shin, Tennell, Malinin, Bratti/Somerville, McNamara/Spiridonov, Wolfkostin/Chen

Warsaw Cup: Izzo, Tennell, Thorngren, Ma, Sjöberg, Zhou, Calalang/Johnson, Chan/Howe, Liu/O'Shea, Green/Parsons, Pate/Bye

A few comments from me:
-Tennell will be competing 3 weekends in a row and 4 weekends out of 5. I'll be surprised if she ends up doing both challengers.
-Andrews and Shin will now have byes to nationals with their 3 challenger/GP assignments

Karen-W

Cup of Austria: Andrews, Shin, Tennell, Malinin, Bratti/Somerville, McNamara/Spiridonov, Wolfkostin/Chen

Warsaw Cup: Izzo, Tennell, Thorngren, Ma, Sjöberg, Zhou, Calalang/Johnson, Chan/Howe, Liu/O'Shea, Green/Parsons, Pate/Bye

Tennell will be competing 3 weekends in a row with the Italy GP the week before Austria!
Andrews and Shin will now have byes to nationals with their 3 challenger/GP assignments
See, Skate Canada those JGP skaters the USFS is sending out to get their senior TES mins in November? That's what you should be doing with your top JGP skaters who plan on competing senior at Nats this January.

Loving these lists of skaters who are being given additional international assignments, especially the ones who missed out on Asian Open Trophy.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Good to see Malinin and Thorngren getting a chance to skate senior! Both have a shot a 4CC at least if not worlds depending on who doesn’t go or even Olympics for Thorngren. And even if they don’t make a senior championship this year, now is the time to start getting out there!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

A few comments from me:
-Tennell will be competing 3 weekends in a row and 4 weekends out of 5. I'll be surprised if she ends up doing both challengers.
-Andrews and Shin will now have byes to nationals with their 3 challenger/GP assignments

Wow Tennell is going to go full throttle. Perhaps ANL should do a tour of Europe and commentate…

Jammers

Wolfkostin/Chen seem to be going all in moving to the senior level as early as possible since they are competing in November in Alpharetta to compete as seniors at Nationals and now they are getting a international event skating as seniors which most Junior ice dance teams never do.

clairecloutier

Wolfkostin/Chen seem to be going all in moving to the senior level as early as possible since they are competing in November in Alpharetta to compete as seniors at Nationals and now they are getting a international event skating as seniors which most Junior ice dance teams never do.

I guess the question is why? Are they hoping to get a 4CCs spot? Realistically, the 4CCs team will be whichever two of Hawayek/Baker, Green/Parsons, and Carreira/Ponomarkeno don't make the Olympic team. And there's still Cesarek/Yehorov and Pate/Bye as well to contend with for the third 4CCs spot.

seabm7

I guess the question is why? Are they hoping to get a 4CCs spot? Realistically, the 4CCs team will be whichever two of Hawayek/Baker, Green/Parsons, and Carreira/Ponomarkeno don't make the Olympic team. And there's still Cesarek/Yehorov and Pate/Bye as well to contend with for the third 4CCs spot.

I think USFS is preparing for the coming post Olympic season and trying to get them enlisted for Grand Prix assignments. For that purpose they need the season best from this year.

dramagrrl

C/P won't make the Olympic team because Christina doesn't have her U.S. citizenship yet (unless I missed something? I don't think there was any way she was going to be able to get it in time for 2022 Olys), so they will almost certainly be named to the 4CC team and will go if they choose to.

Dobre

Sure. Only two teams bound for 4CCs are likely unbeatable. W&C have defeated Cesanek & Yehorov before.

The question would be whether W&C could defeat them with a senior pattern while training a junior one regularly.

Also, depending on how deep the field is, a senior CS could be worth WS points? W&C are currently ranked 23rd in World Standings. Zero points from last season. If they want to move up next season, then senior ranking points at a CS or 4CCs could help them stay top 24.

Sylvia

TBD
... Cranberry and John Nicks Are not challenger events correct?
Cranberry Cup and John Nicks were regular Senior Bs, not Challengers, so the top 5 pairs from those 2 comps received ISU WS points (but fewer than Challengers) and scores are not counted as ISU SB.

CAN (Autumn Classic Int'l), GER (Nebelhorn) & FIN (Finlandia) have been the 3 Challengers counted for pairs so far with Warsaw Cup & Golden Spin being the remaining 2 Challengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information