2021-22 ISU Challenger Series announced

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
According to a rumor, the Koreans gave up since they could not find a suitable flight schedule.

I did some search. There is only one direct flight per week, on Friday, between Seoul and Beijing. Otherwise, one has to stop over at Shanghai or other cities, which is much more expensive and prolongs the flight time from 2 hours to more than 7 hours. This is pretty bizarre.
If that was true then why is Sihyeong Lee still competing for the men? Isn't he based in Korea too? Cha I can understand since he's in Toronto, right?

Gris

不做奴才做公民
According to a rumor, the Koreans gave up since they could not find a suitable flight schedule.

I did some search. There is only one direct flight per week, on Friday, between Seoul and Beijing. Otherwise, one has to stop over at Shanghai or other cities, which prolongs the flight time from 2 hours to more than 7 hours. This is bizarre.

Yes, there is only one flight (an Air China one) between PEK-ICN per week. Since the p*ndemic, lots of PEK's international flights have been distributed to other cities to... shield Beijing. :shuffle:

From what I see now there are no direct flights between Beijing and Japanese cities and I don't know how Japanese skaters will manage it.

Karen-W

Yes, there is only one flight (an Air China one) between PEK-ICN per week. Since the p*ndemic, lots of PEK's international flights have been distributed to other cities to... shield Beijing. :shuffle:

From what I see now there are no direct flights between Beijing and Japanese cities and I don't know how Japanese skaters will manage it.
Honestly, I'm surprised that the European-based skaters (Vasiljevs, Britschgi, Saarinen, Isaev & Schott) are still listed for this event since it really does seem like it's very difficult to get to Beijing at the moment.

On My Own

Is this maybe why W/L dropped out of NHK? And do you think the Chinese skaters will not go to the GP events, then, since GPF is also in Japan?

Karen-W

Is this maybe why W/L dropped out of NHK? And do you think the Chinese skaters will not go to the GP events, then, since GPF is also in Japan?
I think that Sui/Han and Peng/Jin will, for sure, make it to their GP events, somehow, someway. Once Sui/Han fly out to Vancouver they won't go back to China until after GPI; and I'd bet that P/J remain in Europe to train between GPI and IdF. Not sure if Wang/Huang will keep their GP since they're only assigned to IdF.

On My Own

I think that Sui/Han and Peng/Jin will, for sure, make it to their GP events, somehow, someway. Once Sui/Han fly out to Vancouver they won't go back to China until after GPI; and I'd bet that P/J remain in Europe to train between GPI and IdF. Not sure if Wang/Huang will keep their GP since they're only assigned to IdF.
We'll only get to know later I guess - but if there are still no direct flights to Japan out of Beijing by December (and the Chinese federation will keep track of it, I'm sure), then they might think there's no real point to participating in the GP series, since GPF is in Japan.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

I can just say I won't be surprised at all if Chinese Fed pulls all the "non Olympic medal contenders" out of GP Series, and I'm being charitable here.

ETA: The thing is, except at the actual Olympics (and the test event), there's no exemption from the mandatory quarantine which will make things very difficult. What CFSA should have done is to send all those skaters to a foreign training base, which is some other winter sports teams of China are doing. For example, Chinese ice hockey teams are in Russia, alpine skiing team in Austria, ski jumping team in Germany etc.

Last edited:

Karen-W

We'll only get to know later I guess - but if there are still no direct flights to Japan out of Beijing by December (and the Chinese federation will keep track of it, I'm sure), then they might think there's no real point to participating in the GP series, since GPF is in Japan.

I don't think the Chinese fed wants to send Sui/Han into the Olympics with no international competition mileage this fall. They could decide to WD from the GPF if there aren't any direct flights between Beijing and Osaka or Tokyo but I don't see them keeping either S/H or P/J off the GP entirely. It's worth it to send them since S/H have back to back events and both of P/J's are in Europe with just a week break between them.

I can just say I won't be surprised at all if Chinese Fed pulls all the "non Olympic medal contenders" out of GP Series, and I'm being charitable here.

That's my thought as well. Sui/Han and Peng/Jin are the only ones that I fully expect to see on the GP no matter what. Maybe they send Boyang and Hongxi to GPI also but even that's questionable IMO.

On My Own

ETA: The thing is, except at the actual Olympics (and the test event), there's no exemption from the mandatory quarantine which will make things very difficult. What CFSA should have done is to send all those skaters to a foreign training base, which is some other winter sports teams of China are doing. For example, Chinese ice hockey teams are in Russia, alpine skiing team in Austria, ski jumping team in Germany etc.
I agree. I expected the skaters to all go to Canada in the summer - which wasn't possible, but it didn't even happen after people like Kihira and Miura/Kihara were able to go. Montreal was already housing the dance teams, Jin had switched to Orser, and the Pairs could have been at Nichol's rink. But it didn't happen.

I don't think the Chinese fed wants to send Sui/Han into the Olympics with no international competition mileage this fall. They could decide to WD from the GPF if there aren't any direct flights between Beijing and Osaka or Tokyo but I don't see them keeping either S/H or P/J off the GP entirely. It's worth it to send them since S/H have back to back events and both of P/J's are in Europe with just a week break between them.
I mean I'd hope so. But in S/H's case, they really might cut their losses, due to being so injury prone. They've even won worlds twice sitting out basically the entire season. P/J and Jin are the ones I'd expect to definitely attend, assuming CSA doesn't pull them out.

jiejie

It's true that direct international flights into Beijing have been severely curtailed since the pandemic started, and it is a measure to protect Beijing which of course is seat of central government. The idea being that the international flights go to different designated cities, which then perform the quarantine function (14-21 days, depending...). After quarantine clearance, domestic travel can be continued into Beijing. That's the general idea, simplified explanation. It's safe to expect procedural changes for athletes and other official Olympics delegations coming for the Games. As well as flight access.

I wouldn't worry about the "Test Event" being very meaningful. That's just something the IOC officially requires of hosts for each venue. I'm very familiar with Capital Indoor Stadium and rest assured, it's been road-tested over and over again, including international athletes/events. It's a multi-use arena where all major spectator ice events have been held since forever, and it was also used in the 2008 Olympics (Volleyball) so dealing with separation of athletes, press, officials, etc. is well-rehearsed. It's had some renovations done to it fairly recently, but the assigned staff will be well-prepared for the actual Olympic events. And I wouldn't expect television/broadcast/internet/streaming to present any technical issues either, that will all be set up and tested again a couple of weeks in advance of Games start.

Karen-W

CS Asian Open: I see that entries for some disciplines have been further updated today (Oct 10). Down to 4 pairs and 2 Dance teams (only Chinese, in both cases). The singles disciplines still show some top-gun Japanese skaters (Kaori, Mai, Yuma) & others. Sad.

Looks like the only update that wasn't previously known in the last 2 weeks (the US entries in pairs were pulled around 9/30 or 10/1 and the Armenians w/d from dance early last week) is that Harrison Wong HKG is no longer listed. We still have Saarinen, Isaev and Schott in women as well as Vasiljevs and Britschgi in men. I really hope the Korean men and Japanese skaters make it so we can see them before they debut on the GP.

Gris

不做奴才做公民

In the above article about the test events on the Beijing 2022 website published today, it is mentioned that from Oct. 3-9, there were 9 temporary flights & 2 chartered flights carrying 475 people to China, including athletes, technicians and staff of speed skating and bobsleigh etc. (Only these 2 sports are specifically mentioned, the test event for speed skating has concluded)

I wonder if they'll do the same for figure skating.

Last edited:

seabm7

In the above article about the test events on the Beijing 2022 website published today, it is mentioned that from Oct. 3-9, there were 9 temporary flights & 2 chartered flights carrying 475 people to China, including athletes, technicians and staff of speed skating and bobsleigh etc. (Only these 2 sports are specifically mentioned, the test event for speed skating has concluded)

I wonder if they'll do the same for figure skating.

For figure skating, I hope JSF would arrange a temporary or charter flight to Beijing, since they have number of skaters participating in Asian Trophy.

Last edited:

seabm7

Last edited:

On My Own

Sihyeong Lee just posted an instagram story at the airport. He and Cha are leaving for Beijing.

ETD: I got curious and did flight search. There is this DIRECT flight KE 853 from Incheon to Beijing which just departed two hours ago. I'm sure this flight was non-existent when I did the flight search just a few days ago.
So why did the Korean women withdraw, then?

On My Own

In case of Seoyoung WI, it could be due to the vaccination schedule. Her age group starts vaccination next week.
But then they removed the subs too (were none of them old enough?), and aren't even sending Lim (who I think is old enough to have been vaccinated) as they were going to. I hope it's not injury, at least, for Lim.

seabm7

But then they removed the subs too (were none of them old enough?), and aren't even sending Lim (who I think is old enough to have been vaccinated) as they were going to. I hope it's not injury, at least, for Lim.

About subs,
  • Heain Lee is in the same age group as Seoyeong Wi, so her vaccination window also starts next week.
  • Yeonjeong Park is currently training in US. It seems to me her team decided not to bother with Asian Trophy, since she cannot go back to US after visiting China, which makes the travel logistics between US and China complicated.

I have no information on either Eunsoo Lim or Hanul Kim (sub).

By the way, KSU does not decide who goes to which Challenger competition, though KSU has a certain preference to Asian Trophy. Most of the cases, KSU accepts skaters' preferences on Challenger series entries.

Last edited:

On My Own

It seems to me her team decided not to bother with Asian Trophy, since she cannot go back to US after visiting China.
Sorry dragging this conversation (but it's open to everyone else too) - what does this mean? Sakamoto is scheduled for Skate America right after Asian Open, too.

seabm7

Sorry dragging this conversation (but it's open to everyone else too) - what does this mean? Sakamoto is scheduled for Skate America right after Asian Open, too.
From https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...**-19-travel-restrictions-and-exceptions.html, the following exception applies to travelers from Europe, China, and India.
  • certain travelers whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their designees.
I think USFS arranged that those skaters from Europe and/or those who have visited China can enter US without any problem to participate in Skate America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information