Grand Prix 2021-22 Season Potential Assignments

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Really?

No one's gonna bite?

Trying to drum up some excitement in this thread..... its like pullin wisdom teeth.

Seems like people only care about now is when some retired pairs skater pairs up with another retired pairs skater, skates for some other country and then only to be done off by the candlestick in the library.
LOL! Well, you have to time it right. 7:35pm PT translates to the 4:35am in Lausanne. No one's gonna believe that the ISU released the GP assignments at that time of day...

Jammers

The fact that one of the Grand Prix host Federations, Canada, couldn't host its assigned Junior Grand Prix event suggests that there might be,
That's just Canada though the other host GP countries have shown even in the pandemic that they are able to host skating competitions even if they were mostly domestic.

Vagabond

That's just Canada though the other host GP countries have shown even in the ********* that they are able to host skating competitions even if they were mostly domestic.
Let's suppose that not only that Canada can't host but also that travel restrictions will affect Canadian-based skaters like Gabriella Papadakis, for example. Would this coming season be more like 2017-18, when Finland hosted a replacement event for Cup of China, or this past season, when two of the Grand Prix events was cancelled, three were entirely or almost entirely restricted to skaters already present in the respective host countries, and one was more like an Eastern European Championship than a conventional Grand Prix event?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I know that the "non-essential travel" restrictions have been extended into July, but Canada hosted other major international events, like the Junior World Hockey Championships, which were held in Edmonton, the site of the cancelled JGP. Clearly Canada at least had some accommodations for letting non-citizens/non-PR-holders into Canada to compete.

Alberta statistics as of Sunday have over 70% of the 12+ population having received one does (61% of the entire population), with 38% fully vaccinated (32% of the entire population):

The stats on the "Vaccine Outcomes" tab are for Pfizer and Moderna: did Alberta get all mRNA vaccines, or do they just not have data for AZ?

Karen-W

Let's suppose that not only that Canada can't host but also that travel restrictions will affect Canadian-based skaters like Gabriella Papadakis, for example. Would this coming season be more like 2017-18, when Finland hosted a replacement event for Cup of China, or this past season, when two of the Grand Prix events was cancelled, three were entirely or almost entirely restricted to skaters already present in the respective host countries, and one was more like an Eastern European Championship than a conventional Grand Prix event?
My guess is that we are looking at a situation more like 2017-18 where Finland or Italy step up to host a GP event. It seems pretty clear that Japan will let athletes in for competitions, same with the US at this point.

And let's not forget, the reasons why Canada backed out of hosting the JGP are not going to affect most skaters competing in the GP. First, Skate Canada is two months later and that will give the country a lot more time to get more of their own citizens fully vaccinated, second the skaters coming into the country are, in most all likelihood, not going to be minors so they will have probably already been vaccinated and they won't need additional chaperones. I do think, however, that there could be issues for skaters who haven't received vaccines approved by Canadian health authorities. Same is true for IdF if skaters haven't received vaccines that have EU approval.

mjb52

Wow, I've never seen Rostelecom be the final of the six before - isn't it usually NHK? I wasn't paying too much attention to skating though between 2010 and 2018 or so, so I could easily have missed something.

Karen-W

Wow, I've never seen Rostelecom be the final of the six before - isn't it usually NHK? I wasn't paying too much attention to skating though between 2010 and 2018 or so, so I could easily have missed something.
The ISU switched the calendar up this year. I can't remember what the rationale for it was but I rather like seeing the entire GP shift from continent to continent to continent in pairs of events.

Ka3sha

It will also be held in Sochi this time, Megasport is now the home stadium of one of the Moscow hockey teams, so no skating events for quite some time. Am super happy with that, always enjoy going to Sochi in autumn/spring.

Last edited:

dinakt

Troubling- one event for Mozalev and Gumennik, and the absences of Khudaiberdieva/Bazin, Calalang/Johnson and Mark Kondratiuk.

Don't understand preference of Samsonov over Mozalev, Gumennik and Kondratiuk.

Last edited:

dinakt

No international scores for Khuda or Mark. It seemed they competed a lot last season, but they were all internal Russian events
True.
Do they not take last year into account at all, even Rostelekom? Then Khuda/Bazin and Mark are explainable. Samsonov over Mozalev (J Worlds Champion, Junior Olympic Silver medalist) is not...

Karen-W

Troubling- one event for Mozalev and Gumennik, and the absences of Khudaiberdieva/Bazin, Calalang/Johnson and Mark Kondratiuk.

Don't understand preference of Samsonov over Mozalev, Gumennik and Kondratiuk.
Isn't Samsonov part of Team Eteri? Or am I misremembering?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
True.
Do they not take last year into account at all, even Rostelekom? Then Khuda/Bazin and Mark are explainable. Samsonov over Mozalev (JGP Champion, Junior Olympic Silver medalist) is not...
That, I can't explain unless he gets a 2nd event at Rostelekom. And I'm hoping for international b and challengers for several Russian ladies, men and pairs before then that might boost their chances. We'll have to see who gets invited to the test skates

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information