#TeamTrainwreck 22: Every dark cloud has a pewter lining!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

ISU World Team Trophy 2021 Entries
I find a couple of things interesting from a #TTW perspective.

First, Tuktamysheva got the nod over Trusova for the second Russian Ladies' spot. The Russian Federation's other selections indicate that it is in it to win it, and it seems to be relying on Worlds results above all else.

Second, Pulkinen is, with Zhou, one of the U.S. Men's substitutes even though he was only eighth at Nationals.

🤔

Criteria:
1) Skater needs a complete package to potentially be a top skater at Euros/4CC's/Worlds/Olympic level
2) Skater needs to have the ability to absolutely rock one day and splat the day after. Even better: rock and splat during one program
3) Skater is not afraid of breaking one's heart over and over again
4) Skater needs more splat/messy performances than great ones

:gallopin1

mjb52

H/D not going is interesting. I generally like Madison Hubbell, she seems cool and I was glad they had material that people seemed to respond to well this season after some struggles in the last two seasons, but damn, she seemed bitter as hell in the press conference after the free. I guess that's the tough thing about being an athlete, everyone wants to win.

That's why my own dream would be to be re-born as an OES ice dancer from Slovakia who imports a Russian partner and is thrilled to come in 17th at Euros!

Last edited:

happycamper2554

H/D not going is interesting. I generally like Madison Hubbell, she seems cool and I was glad they had material that people seemed to respond to well this season after some struggles in the last two seasons, but damn, she seemed bitter as hell in the press conference after the free. Given S/K's win at Euros 2020, I assumed they were the pretty clear favorites once P/C pulled out, and while for sure, they were ill, they looked totally competition ready at Russia Cup, so at that point, while I felt very nervous because I really wanted it for them, nonetheless it seemed to me that they would most likely win so long as they didn't make a big mistake (which of course was not a guarantee). But it seems like Madison at least went to Stockholm almost expecting to win, which I just don't get, given that the team I personally was most worried about was C/B not H/D. I could see hoping to win, for sure, but the extent of her disappointment surprised me a little. I guess that's the tough thing about being an athlete, everyone wants to win.

That's why my own dream would be to be re-born as an OES ice dancer from Slovakia who imports a Russian partner and is thrilled to come in 17th at Euros!

Not only bitter. I thought it was incredibly rude that she was calling out S/K themselves. Call out RusFed, Call out the ISU. Be my guest. But to call out your fellow competitors who are right there, was so rude. Nikita coughing in the middle of her rant was the icing on the cake. Also USFS as the model of having safe competitions, I think not. They let Bradie compete at nationals after her coach and training mate tested positive right before. The mightier then though attitude that her and Zach have is so off putting. I want to like them but then they start talking.

mjb52

Yeah, I had actually been rooting for them, but I will probably take a break from that for a little while. Gilles/Poirier were so cute and nice by contrast. I think it's important to express yourself and would never object to that, but it's also valuable to be at least a little thoughtful in how you do it.

mjb52

I am really hoping to see non-American hip hop. Maybe French hip hop and Russian hip hop but from lower-ranked teams who aren't expecting to make the Olympics so they can afford to do something more risky? Shevchenko/Eremenko are always #1 on my list for anything like that.

J

Jeschke

Anyway, I miss the days #ttw was all about failures, 2-2 combos, weird taste, shiny costumes, Celine Dion, happy smiles and diva faces :shuffle:
This! :drama:

Unless Queen U coming back in teaming up with Ivan Righini to skate for Tajikistan coached by IrinaLux, choreo by @alchemy void with intentional simultaneous #nipplegate by all four, dance discussions would fit perfectly in the dance thread ;) :saint:

Last edited by a moderator:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
H/D not going is interesting. I generally like Madison Hubbell, she seems cool and I was glad they had material that people seemed to respond to well this season after some struggles in the last two seasons, but damn, she seemed bitter as hell in the press conference after the free.

Ouch on the bad sportsmanship. Look, I think S/K were pre-annointed to win this competition and the skating wouldn't necessarily have mattered. But did H/D go out there and skate like A/P at 1999 worlds when K/O were pre-annointed? No. This isn't a controversial win. H/D were not great in the FD. They got beat and deservedly so.

Why are all my favorites such crybabies, cough, Boikova, cough? :drama:

ETA: okay, I listened to the clip starting at 17:20 (probably should have done that before posting :duh:), and my apologies to Hubbell. She didn't mention S/K by name as indicated earlier. She did sound pro-USA regarding COVID protocol, but I didn't hear any bitter complaints about the competition or S/K.

Last edited:

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Granted I have not watched the whole thing, but I didn’t find the remarks on the YNW protocols at 17:30 to be ranting or bad sportsmanship. It is reality that there were outbreak problems with events in Russia (and footage all over social media of very not YNW safe behavior) and if I were from elsewhere, I would have been concerned too.

SidelineSkater

Not only bitter. I thought it was incredibly rude that she was calling out S/K themselves. Call out RusFed, Call out the ISU. Be my guest. But to call out your fellow competitors who are right there, was so rude. Nikita coughing in the middle of her rant was the icing on the cake. Also USFS as the model of having safe competitions, I think not. They let Bradie compete at nationals after her coach and training mate tested positive right before. The mightier then though attitude that her and Zach have is so off putting. I want to like them but then they start talking.

Did I miss where Madison called out S/K by name? Timestamp please - I didn't listen to the whole thing. I wouldn't call that a rant starting at 17:30- it seemed as if she were explaining her thoughts on the worlds experience.

happycamper2554

Did I miss where Madison called out S/K by name? Timestamp please - I didn't listen to the whole thing. I wouldn't call that a rant starting at 17:30- it seemed as if she were explaining her thoughts on the worlds experience.

She didn't call them out by name but she said that people from other countries or cultures wouldn't be following the Covid Protocols. I think they felt called out. 18:19 she starts talking about it. Feel free to disagree

mjb52

Oh gosh I've really de-railed the thread by bringing this up oops. I think the man in charge was trying to urge us to talk about anything else.

happycamper2554

Oh gosh I've really de-railed the thread by bringing this up oops. I think the man in charge was trying to urge us to talk about anything else.
My Nomination for S/K to Pantheon Status still stands. I think his facial expressions from worlds add bonus points to their nomination.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Like I said in my other post, it is reality that the Russian events were superspreader events and the footage was all over social media. She was asked her thoughts on the bubble. Was she not supposed to bring this up when it’s a concern that was also expressed by many other people?

It sounds like she had concerns about not everyone taking things seriously as they should and given what happened in Russia with video-documented behavior....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information