2022 Nationals in Nashville

Carolla5501

I think the 170 rate is only if you stay 5 nights. I checked for my sister who might come in just for the weekend and it’s still over 300.
Nashville has a very big weekend traffic volume. So a weekend could be a problem it’s kind of almost the opposite of some cities where the weekdays are the problem. But if she’s driving there are a lot of reasonable hotels that are an easy drive to downtown

I’m planning for 4 or 5 nights so that’s what I’ve been checking. I did notice the residence inn did that but that’s kind of normal for the residence Inn

DreamSkates

I have been thinking about going to Nationals in Nashville. Was looking at hotels in close walking distance. Traveling alone, I'd rather not walk a distance or have to drive far. But will keep looking and considering. If a downtown hotel costs $300/night, I might just put that $ toward a trip out of the US and watch Nationals as I normally do (except when it has been in NC, so close by and hotels are reasonable).

Would love to be there, though. I think it will be such an exciting event, with fans having been missing from events lately, and this competition being the one that determines (partially) who goes to the Olympics.

Decisions, decisions...

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I do not understand the logic of holding the first post-shutdown National Championships in a second-tier Middle America city. Hard pass.

-BB
I wish that Dallas or Houston or San Antonio would get a Nationals. Not sure how much local support there is, but Dallas had a great Nationals in 2003. I have friends in Nashville that I could stay with, but, except for Nathan Chen and Kneirim and maybe Amber Glenn/Karen/Alysa I really have no interest in going. I'd rather go to another Skate America and at least see several awesome Russians (Kolyada would be the icing on top). Where is Skate America this year? Same as the last two years? I really liked the event in 2019 there. I'd do it every year.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I wish that Dallas or Houston or San Antonio would get a Nationals. Not sure how much local support there is, but Dallas had a great Nationals in 2003. I have friends in Nashville that I could stay with, but, except for Nathan Chen and Kneirim and maybe Amber Glenn/Karen/Alysa I really have no interest in going. I'd rather go to another Skate America and at least see several awesome Russians (Kolyada would be the icing on top). Where is Skate America this year? Same as the last two years? I really liked the event in 2019 there. I'd do it every year.
Unless one has nothing better to do with one's money, is in the "business" of skating, or has a personal connection with a participant, I don't see a reason to attend, when I can stay at home and watch every single skater via live streaming, on the big screen. Back in the 70s/80s/90s, I attended many skating events because that was the only way to see all competitors and programs. Being able to see it was the reason that I got on a plane. Not now. One could even argue that the views are best at home; no bad sightlines.

Watching the recent 2021 Nationals via Peacock streaming, in real time, without ads or commentators, gave me the exact same happiness that I used to get when attending live events years ago. I wanted to see all skaters and not just the 4 or 5 per discipline that ABC TV used to dole out in a year.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I believe the 2003 Nationals in Dallas were a financial failure. Attendance was very low.
But isn't that the case every year? I liked the Las Vegas location because the arena appeared to be full (ish). I admit, it makes no sense to rent out a huge arena like the American Airlines Arena in Dallas. It's always so depressing to watch on tv and hardly anyone is in the stands, but that's how it's been for decades....

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The business model has to change before new cities will bid. It’s a ginormous amount of work for the LOC and given how hard it will be to get cancellation insurance for at least the next 10 years, probably something most clubs would avoid.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Unless one has nothing better to do with one's money, is in the "business" of skating, or has a personal connection with a participant, I don't see a reason to attend, when I can stay at home and watch every single skater via live streaming, on the big screen. Back in the 70s/80s/90s, I attended many skating events because that was the only way to see all competitors and programs. Being able to see it was the reason that I got on a plane. Not now. One could even argue that the views are best at home; no bad sightlines.

Watching the recent 2021 Nationals via Peacock streaming, in real time, without ads or commentators, gave me the exact same happiness that I used to get when attending live events years ago. I wanted to see all skaters and not just the 4 or 5 per discipline that ABC TV used to dole out in a year.
For me nothing compares with the energy and excitement of actually being in the arena. Being able to feel the electricity of the performances and the crowd. I also love being able to experience it all with my friends who love skating as much as I do. I hope I never have to watch Nationals from home again!!

gkelly

One could even argue that the views are best at home; no bad sightlines.

One could also argue that there are many qualities of skating that get flattened out in the translation to video and that the direct live experience (especially with seats closer to the ice) is both more thrilling and more reflective of what the judges are judging than the mediated experience of watching on video.

Many fans also enjoy attending live events to be able to see the skaters in contexts other than performing their programs, to meet up with other fans, etc.

But everyone has to make their own calculations about the advantages and costs of attending vs. watching at home. Different people have different priorities, and even those may change depending on what else is going on in their lives at the time, and the location of the event.

sk8nlizard

There is a new arena in Fort Worth (about 30 minutes west of Dallas) that isn’t too big. We went there for a rodeo before things shut down last year and I told my husband that Nationals should go there. Fort Worth doesn’t have any skating but there’s a lot in the Dallas area. Just looked it up, it seats 14,000 people. I don’t know if that’s too small for Nationals, but it’s a nice new arena with lots of food and hotels near by. Also close to a major airport.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Many fans also enjoy attending live events to be able to see the skaters in contexts other than performing their programs, to meet up with other fans, etc.

I used to absolutely detest that...fans chasing after skaters for autographs & photos. There are so many famous skaters who I saw up-close at championship hotels, yet never asked for an autograph. I never wished to invade their privacy.

Also, none of my real-life friends ever cared about skating...nobody with whom to share. Mom traveled the world with me but she has passed. Now I love seeing it at home. If I lived in Russia with husband’s circle, a lot of them genuinely enjoy it but I’m in the US. Different strokes for different folks.

p.s. - Anyone with a blog or podcast is in the “business” of skating, so I’d expect them to attend in person, to network, interview, etc. Expenses appear on Schedule C for taxes. 😉

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I love the excitement of being at a competition live. But I also enjoy watching them at home where I can pause when I need to pee, have the snacks I want, and rewind if I miss something.

So I will continue to do a mix.

Japanfan

One could also argue that there are many qualities of skating that get flattened out in the translation to video and that the direct live experience (especially with seats closer to the ice) is both more thrilling and more reflective of what the judges are judging than the mediated experience of watching on video.
There is some truth to what you say, but I actually enjoy watching on TV as much as I do watching live, perhaps more. I've been to several competitions live, including Worlds and Olympics - though not very many, relatively, as I don't have the $$ to spare. I like me some commentary, and I like the instant replay available on TV.

Even when I attend a competition live, I subsequently watch the television coverage.

gatorinfl

I have been thinking about going to Nationals in Nashville. Was looking at hotels in close walking distance. Traveling alone, I'd rather not walk a distance or have to drive far. But will keep looking and considering. If a downtown hotel costs $300/night, I might just put that $ toward a trip out of the US and watch Nationals as I normally do (except when it has been in NC, so close by and hotels are reasonable).

Would love to be there, though. I think it will be such an exciting event, with fans having been missing from events lately, and this competition being the one that determines (partially) who goes to the Olympics.

Decisions, decisions...
I live in Florida and would like to attend but, like you, I’ve been surprised at the prices of downtown hotels at least as of now. My first choice would be the Hilton next door to the arena. I’d fly instead of drive because I don’t want to deal with driving in each day from a suburban hotel.

I haven’t looked thoroughly but from what I see Nashville does not have a great public transit system for getting downtown from the suburbs. Anyone know?

I had tickets to Montreal Worlds ☹️ and I won’t make it to Beijing for the Olympics so going to Nationals would be so much fun.

Carolla5501

Considering it is in Tennessee, fans will be allowed. I think the question is how many fans will be allowed. My college football team which plays in the same state has already announced that they are preparing to have full stadiums next fall. But even this fall they had 30% capacity Tennessee is not one of the hard lockdown states

That said, while I generally don’t buy as soon as they go on sale, I might this time just in case they do have to limit capacity.

They are currently allowing fans at the hockey games in the same arena. So unless US figure skating tells them no, which I can’t imagine since they want the money, I expect you will see fans next year

sk9tingfan

Flip Jump

Looking at the seating chart, does anyone know if the green section are the foldable chaits (not stadium seats) that they had in 2019?

jkl

I just spoke with Charles at Bridgestone Arena. From his look at the seating chart he feels that rows 1 and 2 will be stadium seats. He said they would be happy to answer any questions and the number to call is 615-770-2000 (box office). They will be open today until 5:30 Central time. There is a Preds home game tomorrow (4-11-21) so they will open at 1:00. Monday they open at 9:00. He also said that Bridgestone is not selling the pre sale tickets but USFSA is.

Debbie S

@jkl Did he know if USFS is restricting the number or distribution of seats, i.e. seats in pods (or something similar) for social distancing purposes? The arena website says that they are currently selling seats in pods (of people who are together) and then distancing between the pods. (With Nats, that's obviously hard to do but they could come up with other distancing measures.)

jkl

@jkl Did he know if USFS is restricting the number or distribution of seats, i.e. seats in pods (or something similar) for social distancing purposes? The arena website says that they are currently selling seats in pods (of people who are together) and then distancing between the pods. (With Nats, that's obviously hard to do but they could come up with other distancing measures.)
He said they are only selling 17% of seats for Pred games but do not anticipate limiting seats for Nationals. Right now they are only selling lower bowl seats for Nationals

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information