Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarafan

If Sui/Han and Peng/Jin retire, The era of Chinese pair skating will be officially done. We are short of skaters and talents in this discipline right now. But We all know who achieve this.
They prob. won't let Jin retire.

hanca

Values her privacy
They prob. won't let Jin retire.
If he wanted to retire, there would be nothing they can do about it. They can’t make someone skate. And if someone doesn’t want to skate any more, they lose the power over the person. A person has to listen to them and do what they say if the person want to skate competitively, but when he doesn’t want anymore, what can they do to him? Threaten him that they will not allow him to compete?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If he wanted to retire, there would be nothing they can do about it. They can’t make someone skate. And if someone doesn’t want to skate any more, they lose the power over the person. A person has to listen to them and do what they say if the person want to skate competitively, but when he doesn’t want anymore, what can they do to him? Threaten him that they will not allow him to compete?
They could give him incentives to stay in anyway. I guess you couldsay that, if that happens, he wants to skate. But sometimes people end up between a rock and a hard place where staying in is the better option but they aren't particularly happy about it. That could happen with any skater where the federation pays a lot or all of the costs of training and even controls somewhat the coaches and other skating people. They have more power then.

hanca

Values her privacy
They could give him incentives to stay in anyway. I guess you couldsay that, if that happens, he wants to skate. But sometimes people end up between a rock and a hard place where staying in is the better option but they aren't particularly happy about it. That could happen with any skater where the federation pays a lot or all of the costs of training and even controls somewhat the coaches and other skating people. They have more power then.
But they have the power only if he decides that he will continue. As soon as he makes decision to stop, they don’t have the power any more (as long as he sticks to this decision.)

Kateri

void beast
But they have the power only if he decides that he will continue. As soon as he makes decision to stop, they don’t have the power any more (as long as he sticks to this decision.)
They could freeze someone out of coaching opportunities, and any career progression within the Fed. Depends what they want to do, after retiring, of course, but I could see that being something they could use to keep someone in.

hanca

Values her privacy
They could freeze someone out of coaching opportunities, and any career progression within the Fed. Depends what they want to do, after retiring, of course, but I could see that being something they could use to keep someone in.
Yes, he could either find a job where the skating federation has no power over him (job that is not related to figure skating), or, if he wanted to be a coach, he might have to move to coach abroad.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Is there actually NEWS that Sui/Han might retire? Please say no. Please say they will skate another season. I simply can't take any more disappointment.

Tinami Amori

very impressed with Nini... can't wait to see her in jrs in a competition.

feraina

Dan Zhang found her own way to a successful post-skating career without any Fed support. Jin could do the same. Retiring is not something so offensive to the fed that the fed would actively hound the person forever after. It makes no sense.

That said, Jin is still quite young so I hope he sticks around for a while yet! Peng/Jin could be Chinese #1 for years to come. Unlike S/H, they have not been bothered by injuries.

goldberry99

That said, Jin is still quite young so I hope he sticks around for a while yet! Peng/Jin could be Chinese #1 for years to come. Unlike S/H, they have not been bothered by injuries.

They haven’t? I thought on the GP the commentators said that Peng had a serious chronic injury, that she had told them in the media interviews that she just accepted that she would always be in constant pain when she skates? I don’t remember what specific injury it was, but I remember being struck by her comments because it sounded awful.

feraina

They haven’t? I thought on the GP the commentators said that Peng had a serious chronic injury, that she had told them in the media interviews that she just accepted that she would always be in constant pain when she skates? I don’t remember what specific injury it was, but I remember being struck by her comments because it sounded awful.
Dan Zhang found her own way to a successful post-skating career without any Fed support. Jin could do the same. Retiring is not something so offensive to the fed that the fed would actively hound the person forever after. It makes no sense.
Argh that sounds awful. I hadn’t heard. I hope it’s not that bad!

raruki

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/202..._139200356.htm

According to the Chinese press, Chinese sports authority will cancel all international sports events this year except for 2022 Beijing test events.
GPF will be fine because it is a test event but GP China is likely cancelled.
Asia Open would be more likely to be held if the event would use one of the facilities of Beijing Olympic.

aftershocks

Banned Member
How will GPF be fine if most of the GP events are cancelled? If a GPF is still held in Beijing this season, it's going to look vastly different from normal, and that's an understatement.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Quoting myself from the thread Sylvia posted

(Official website of the General Administration of Sport of China)

'除北京冬奥会测试赛重要赛事外,今年内原则上不举办其他国际性体育赛事和活动。'

'Except for important events like the test events of Beijing Olympics, in principle, no other international sports event and activity will be held this year.'

According to the wording, the events they still plan to hold are test events + other (not specified) 'important events' so it's not test events only. I don't see a GP or CS event be categorized as 'important' though.

I think that in their exact wording, '等' (= et cetera) made things somehow vague since it seems to suggest there are other events besides test events. But as I said above, I don't see Cup of China or Asian Trophy happening.

As for GPF qualifying, I've seen someone suggesting that entries could be selected using world ranking and last year's GPF results, which I think is ... possible but would look very different indeed.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Yes, I was wondering if there were any notable names in the Excel spreadsheet attachments?

I quickly went through them and spotted some names I believe I had seen in domestic novice competitions but no one very notable. There are 1700+ and 900+ entries in those two files so I could well be wrong though...

aftershocks

Banned Member
LOL re the obsession/ conversation about top skaters retiring. The topic only came up due to @raruki's rhetorical post #895 on the previous page. I don't think there's any indication anywhere that either of the current top Chinese pairs teams are contemplating retirement in the near future. If Beijing Olympics happens, both teams will be there surely, barring any unforeseen injury or adverse health situation.

hanca

Values her privacy
LOL re the obsession/ conversation about top skaters retiring. The topic only came up due to @raruki's rhetorical post #895 on the previous page. I don't think there's any indication anywhere that either of the current top Chinese pairs teams are contemplating retirement in the near future. If Beijing Olympics happens, both teams will be there surely, barring any unforeseen injury or adverse health situation.
Not in the near future, but considering the number injuries and health problems Sui-Han had, I wouldn’t be that surprised if they retired after the Olympics.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Not in the near future, but considering the number injuries and health problems Sui-Han had, I wouldn’t be that surprised if they retired after the Olympics.

Yeah, and if they'd already achieved their goal, they likely would be retired at this point due to Sui's injury issues. Han has had some recent health problems too. The physical and mental struggles are real in figure skating.

Seerek

Allegations from the now retired Shuran Yu who represented Singapore at Junior/Senior Worlds on abuse by coach Song Gao

Sylvia

TBD
Allegations from the now retired Shuran Yu who represented Singapore at Junior/Senior Worlds on abuse by coach Song Gao
I've also posted several related articles in the "Skaters report abusive training environments" thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ining-environments.106047/page-5#post-5836927

ETA the link to an article re. the 2022 Olympic venues:
With a total of 15 rinks and ice surfaces for competition and training for the Beijing Winter Olympics are all close to completion, the construction process has entered a final sprint stage.
All competition venues inside the city during the games want to realize the ambitious ability to hold winter and summer sports events. All the ice rinks will fully consider the demand of competition time and post-competition utilization. In addition, environmental protection has been the cornerstones of venue construction and ice-making.
At present, the four ice rinks in the Capital Gymnasium Park also adopt carbon dioxide ice-making technology, becoming the most concentrated area of carbon dioxide ice.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Team Heilongjiang held a test skate for the National Winter Games this afternoon.

Full event rewatch: Link

Ladies

Novice: Zige Xia, Yunjie Wang, Zhixuan Li, Shuyu Li, Kexin Zhang, Jiabao Tang

Junior: Shubing Wei (36.58 video), Siyang Zhang (35.65 video), Hengxin Jin (45.01 video), Wantong Zhao

Senior: Meiran Hou, Qingrun Chen, Chenchen Sha, Xiangning Li (45.76 video)

Men

Novice: Wenqiang Feng, Jian Gao

Junior: Ziming Dong, Helin Liu, Junda Li, Zhiyu Wang

Senior: Hanyu Zhao, Runqi Liu

Pairs

Junior: Jiaxuan Zhang / Zhiyu Wang

Dance

Junior: Luchang Cao / Jianxu Chen (41.22 video)

Senior: Wanqi Ning / Chao Wang (61.94 video)

Sylvia

TBD
Thank so much for posting all of those video links, @Gris!

I looked online for English articles and it appears the exact dates for the rescheduled National Winter Games are not yet finalized?

The 14th National Winter Games was originally scheduled to open on February 16, 2020 in Hulun Buir but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Sports Bureau of Inner Mongolia said on Wednesday that the 14th National Winter Games was expected to be held by the end of this year.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
it appears the exact dates for the rescheduled National Winter Games are not yet finalized?

No they haven't been determined yet. From the official website of NWG (posted July 24th):

“十四冬”筹备办综合组提出《关于延期筹办第十四届全国冬季运动会时间安排意见》,建议“十四冬”延期举办的时间为2020年12月并从简进行,已经自治区人民政府同意,目前国家体育总局正就该事宜进行研判,我们希望并力争在今年年底举办“十四冬”,完成已停办的三分之二赛事。

'The preparatory committee ... suggested that a streamlined NWG being held in December 2020. It has been approved by the Inner Mongolia government and is being studied by the General Administration of Sport of China. We hope and will do our best to hold NWG by the end of this year to complete the previously suspended two-thirds of the events.'

(78 events had been finished before C19 striked which are more than 1/3 of all 201 events)

aftershocks

Banned Member
Thanks @Gris! Is it possible to get an individual video link for the pairs team, especially since it was only one junior pairs team competing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information