Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

skatfan

Sui / Han have withdrawn from CoC to focus on his recovery. However, they will still go to Chongqing to train with their teammates. Cong said that their initial plan had been to have 4CC 2021 as their first competition after surgery but rushed a bit to make it to CoC since it's in China. Yet eventually they decided to take it easy and aim at long term goals.
Did you mean that originally the Grand Prix Final was to be in China in December? Because CoC is always in China. ;)

Gris

Did you mean that originally the Grand Prix Final was to be in China in December? Because CoC is always in China. ;)
:lol: No, but I should have worded it better. They said: '考虑到中国杯是家门口的比赛,我们之前也是想试着赶一赶。' = 'Considering CoC is held near to home, we tried to rush a bit before.'

Clip of Boyang practicing his FS to House of the Rising Sun

Clip of Han practicing his SP to A Thousand Years

(Edit: changed the links to the ones on Twitter)

Last edited:

Japanfan

Clip of Boyang practicing his FS to House of the Rising Sun

I think I'm going to like this program from Boyang. He's grown up and is not the goofy skater he once was. He looks to finding his own unique style.

Clip of Han practicing his SP to A Thousand Years

(Edit: changed the links to the ones on Twitter)

I could watch Han Yan do crossovers all day!

Gris

Among CoC skaters, Juwen Xu, Minzhi Jin and Angel Li's music selections are unknown
Juwen XU
SP: Bon Voyage by Vangelis; Conquest of Paradise by Vangelis
FS: En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor by ll Divo
Choreographer: Elvin Wong

Minzhi JIN
SP: Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen
FS: Fiamme by Roberto Cacciapagila
Choreographer: Caishu Fu

Angel LI
SP: Secrets by Jennifer Thomas
FS: Song for the Little Sparrow performed by Patricia Kaas; La terre vue du ciel by Armand Amar
Choreographer: Scott Brown

ETA:

Yuchen WANG / Yihang HUANG

SP: Go Now by Adam Levine
FS:
Never Take Off the Mask (from "The Lone Ranger" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer
The Railroad Waits for No One (from "The Lone Ranger" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer
Ride (from "The Lone Ranger" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer
Finale (from "The Lone Ranger" soundtrack) by Hans Zimmer
Choreographer: Elvin Wong

Last edited:

Gris

Quoting myself from the PBP thread:
CoC posted on Weibo that Xinyu Liu hasn't recovered from a hand injury - he still has 10+ screws in his right hand.

Think they did very well considering this (I didn't even notice he might be injured) and hope he can heal fully soon!

Xinyu posted about his injury today with a few pictures:

Translation of the text:
CoC has ended and it's very lucky for us to have a rare chance at an international competition. We thank the organizers for creating a safe and healthy event for us. I had surgery for my hand injury a while ago and has two plates and 11 screws in my right hand. It was only 2 months before the competition, but the doctors said I needed at least 3 months to slowly start rehab training and practicing lifts, so it's really not easy for us to make it to CoC. With an injury like this, there are much uncertainties in training. So I'm really grateful to Dr Cheng and Zhang, team doctor and rehab therapist in the National team, and our coach Patrice and his team for their help and encouragement, they made me believe I could do it. In the end, after training for 3 weeks, we accomplished this seemingly impossible task and I overcame myself. We know that since there were no international skaters, this is not a 'real' CoC gold medal, but this is an encouragement and goal for us. We will continue to work hard to win a true gold in senior Grand Prix for China. Come on!

Last edited:

Dobre

I finally got to see Cup of China:). Too late for the play-by-play.

Thoughts:

Boyang looked very solid. I think it is to his benefit that 2022 is in China and jet lag will not be an issue there, though of course there will be the pressure of skating at home.

Peng & Jin were a class above, of course.

Yuchen Wang has such lovely arms & posture. Imagining what a top choreographer could do with Wang & Huang. There's some lovely potential there.

Chen & Sun are not The Greatest Showmen, but I did think this RD was an improvement from last year's. Her performance quality is improving. ( :blah: on going back to Umbrellas of Cherbourg; but what can you do in the middle of a ********* an ocean away from your coaches?)

Wang & Liu were great, of course. Their Charlie Chaplin is easily my favorite program that they have ever done; and I think the back half of the FD has more impact now, though it feels like 400 years since I last saw the program.

I also like Hongyi Chen's LP.

Last edited:

raruki

According to some skaters, the Chinese nationals or Maybe the figure skating competitions of the National Winter Games will be held next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information