Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsskate

It's disappointing that Han Yan won't be at Worlds, but we don't know what really happened to Han Yan, and there is no public information given. There's a lot going on within the Chinese federation, very complicated, nothing is black or white, or 100% good or evil.

A lot of serious rumors were posted above, I believe there may be some truth to it, but it needs proof to backup something this serious, and again, nothing is black or white. But regardless what happened, nothing can change what S/Z did on the ice when they were athletes, and it will always be beautiful memories for me.

barbarafan

Moving this to the relevant thread before responding.

But are you sure the skating community has the power to dictate travel arrangements in this type of scenario? I mean Misha couldn't even get his visa arrangements settled to get him to France for a GP in ordinary circumstances, and these are not ordinary circumstances. Some of the Chinese athletes have been to Canada more recently than others, which probably helped. I'm honestly glad that any of them made it out of China in order to get to Worlds. I am sad for Yan Han but it could have been much worse. I'm still crossing my fingers for a few of the athletes that were named to Worlds but whom we don't yet have confirmation are actually outside of China. Also, it is worth noting that China chose Han Yan to compete at Cup of China this season, and they sent him to 4CCs, which they do not always do with athletes.
The problem was not travel arrangements. He had been in Korea since 2 wks b4 4CC so there would be no quarantine upon arriving in Canada. He could start training for worlds right away. Once he was sent back to China he was done. He was house quarantined so could not train.

RoseRed

The problem was not travel arrangements. He had been in Korea since 2 wks b4 4CC so there would be no quarantine upon arriving in Canada. He could start training for worlds right away. Once he was sent back to China he was done. He was house quarantined so could not train.
But don't Chinese people need visas to enter Canada? That is a part of travel arrangements. And visas can take time. That's not really something skating can control. He may not have been able to go to Canada right away.

barbarafan

But don't Chinese people need visas to enter Canada? That is a part of travel arrangements. And visas can take time. That's not really something skating can control. He may not have been able to go to Canada right away.
Was he not originally named to the team...so would not the visa arrangement already been made?

jlai

Question everything
It's disappointing that Han Yan won't be at Worlds, but we don't know what really happened to Han Yan, and there is no public information given. There's a lot going on within the Chinese federation, very complicated, nothing is black or white, or 100% good or evil.

A lot of serious rumors were posted above, I believe there may be some truth to it, but it needs proof to backup something this serious, and again, nothing is black or white. But regardless what happened, nothing can change what S/Z did on the ice when they were athletes, and it will always be beautiful memories for me.

When it comes to evil China, everything is black and white. :p

RoseRed

Was he not originally named to the team...so would not the visa arrangement already been made?
Well, originally, he would only have needed to come for mid/late March. Not mid February. Depending on the type of visa, you can't just come whenever. Also it takes time to get a visa, so it may not have been ready yet.

Marco

Or simply he did not have arrangements to stay and train in Canada between 4CCs and Worlds.

barbarafan

Or simply he did not have arrangements to stay and train in Canada between 4CCs and Worlds.
If someone reached out I am sure they would have been there. If he or his coach had reached out....however they may not have have been allowed to sadly.

Japanfan

An article published in either this thread or the Han Yan Fan thread intimated or outrightly stated that he was not seen as 'good enough'. I am quite sure I read that, but don't remember who the words were attributed to.

In any case, I am expecting Worlds to be cancelled any day now. :(

Last edited:

sandra_persch

An article published in either this thread or the Han Yan Fan intimated that he was not seen as 'good enough'. I am quite sure I read that, but don't remember who the words were attributed to.

Coupe du Printemps and Worlds are the only two events not cancelled yet on the ISU calender.

barbarafan

An article published in either this thread or the Han Yan Fan thread intimated or outrightly stated that he was not seen as 'good enough'. I am quite sure I read that, but don't remember who the words were attributed to.

Bite your tongue. As of this morning there are only 4 confirmed cases in province of Quebec. I think they should hold it but hand out masks at the door and do temperature checks at entrances for spectators and athletes and officials. People should arrive at least hour b4 events. Masks should be worn by all except people behind the boards and on the ice. NO handshaking...

skatingguy

decently
Bite your tongue. As of this morning there are only 4 confirmed cases in province of Quebec. I think they should hold it but hand out masks at the door and do temperature checks at entrances for spectators and athletes and officials. People should arrive at least hour b4 events. Masks should be worn by all except people behind the boards and on the ice. NO handshaking...
Masks are absolute no - health officials have been telling us for weeks they are not effective for keeping healthy people safe from infection - and with the shortages of M95 masks they're not going to waste the supply on fans at a sporting event.

raruki

Updates of Team China
-All Chinese skaters are now preparing for the fitness test demanding by the Chinese sports authority. They have to pass the test otherwise the authority would stop funding them.
-Cong Han had his surgery on his crotch. He got the groin injury last season which affected his solo jump very seriously.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
-Cong Han had his surgery on his crotch. He got the groin injury last season which affected his solo jump very seriously.

From what I have read his waist was the place of injury (and surgery).

raruki

From what I have read his waist was the place of injury (and surgery).
What I have known is that Cong has suffered from the lumbar muscle strain for a long time, and it does cause some serious pains on his waist and back. But this disease is very hard to be cured by surgery.

Sylvia

TBD
BEIJING, May 27 (Xinhua) -- Construction of the "Ice Jar" comprehensive training center was completed on Wednesday, becoming the first newly-built [2022 Winter Olympics] venue in the Beijing competition zone this year, as confirmed by Beijing Major Projects Construction Office.
The "Ice Jar" will become the only winter ice training and competition base of the General Administration of Sport of China in Beijing, undertaking the training and scientific research tasks of the national short track speed skating and figure skating.
It will effectively improve the national team's training and competition facilities to help promote the development of winter sports in China and improve its technical level.
Article & 4 photos: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-05/27/c_139092704.htm

ETA:

June 7th article: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-06/07/c_139121634.htm
According to the ISU's official website, the Grand Prix of Figure Skating season includes six stops and a Final. China is the third stop and the Cup of China is planned to be held [Nov. 6-8, 2020] in Chongqing again, as it was in 2019. The Grand Prix Final will be held from December 10 to 13 in Beijing, which will also host the 2022 Winter Olympic Games.
Some figure skating competitions were canceled due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, and whether the Grand Prix series in the new season can be held as scheduled is still unknown.
The Challenger Series event Asian Open Figure Skating Trophy, originally scheduled for Sept. 9-13 in Beijing, is labelled as "Postponed" on the ISU website.

Last edited:

greenapple

That comes as no surprise given that 45 people tested positive at an outdoor market in Beijing a couple of days ago. With so many people, China will probably be seeing a resurgence of ******** cases in many places for a long time.

Last edited:

raruki

Hao Zhang is now a hot trend in Weibo because he was targeted by the radical ‘feminists’ in China. They thought that the way Zhang threw the girls was a huge disgrace to all the women and he let the girls fall on purpose.

Those radical feminist are just crazy and even don't have a clue about skating, they basically thought that Hao Zhang always let the girls fall on purpose if he would not win the gold, and he could let his partners bear all the faults.:rolleyes:

raruki

Xiaoyu Yu has spoken up for the recent controversy about her previous partner Zhang hao.

There is a specific paragraph regarding the controversy about swapping partners in 2016.

'直到一场突如其来的变故,是所有人都没有想到的意料之外的转折。毕竟今天还在讨论下赛季的编排选曲,一夜之间就被告知交换了搭档任谁应该都会有种当头一棒的感觉吧,
那种五味杂交的心情和思绪一时半会儿肯定是捋不清的可眼下还必须为下赛季的编排去做准备,好像所有事都被逼到迫在眉睫,当下的我们又没调整好心态,根本无从应对啊不过在多方面的说服引导之下,我们舞伴之间也有在相互支持鼓励,加上彼此心中也都有着作为专业双人滑选手的素养,就这样在种种帮助之下我们开始逐渐去理解接受,并专心致志投入训练,并在短时间内拿到了优异的成绩和一些肯定,在再之后的事大家也都知道我就不必多说了…… '

"....Until a sudden change, a change and a turning point that everyone did not expect it. We were discussing the choreography and the music today after all. But all of a sudden, we had been told that we should swap the partner after the night. Everyone for sure would feel a sense of shock at this moment......"

raruki

Did Yu and Zhang split officially?

Not yet, but they are already split. Yu had posted her profile on Ice partner search but had to withdraw due to the pressures of the authorities.

many Chinese skating fans are pissed-off right now because Zhang Hao had promised to the authority that he would compete in Beijing Olympic, but he has not practised skating for almost or even more than 6 months. Hao Zhang does suffer from a very serious injury but he doesn't officially retire and still make use of Yu and the authority to obtain the registered residence in Beijing and a stable job in Beijing university of sports. Now Hao Zhang gets what he wants and he can leave Yu alone.

feraina

Xiaoyu’s note is so sad. It sounds like she’s trying really hard not to regret what was taken away from her in the past, and she sounds totally lost about the future and is trying to cheer herself up and not despair. But I don’t see how she could possibly find a partner her caliber in China, and China will never release her...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information