Will we get 2020-21 GP assignments, and when?

D

Deleted member 78951

"
Rights
You have a right to access the personal data we hold about you or obtain a copy of it. To do so please contact us. If you believe that the information we hold for you is incomplete or inaccurate, you may contact us to ask us to complete or correct that information.

You also have the right to request the erasure of your personal data. Please contact us if you would like us to remove your personal data.

"

D

Deleted member 78951

This got me curious. I looked up the stats. California does have more cases per capita than Nevada. But it has fewer deaths: 128 per million Instead of Nevada’s 150 per million. So Nevada is Likely just testing less and under reporting its true caseload. You’re not going to find cases that you don’t test for. Plus, California is much denser than Nevada and the climate in Nevada is more inhospitable to the ***** than CA’s.

Which means that Nevada is safer than California...we dont know if they are under reporting

D

Deleted member 78951

Can't the members from the US be a little more humble about the sh... that the country has done about this virus? Saying something like "Yeah I know our country has made some mistakes, but we maybe could pull some events off by end off the year" . They are slapping everyone face

D

Deleted member 78951

Yes, when it comes to this p-dem-ick, it actually could hurt.

The US has been dealing with an incompetent "leader" that has ignored the current 'rona problem, started out by saying it was nothing but a hoax by the Democrats, then the numbers would go "from 15 down to zero," then it would "magically disappear" by April, then "just a flu," then we were going "to pack churches on Easter Sunday," then spouted off about ridiculous medical "cures" for which he has no expertise, then encouraged states to open up far too soon, then ignorantly stated "we're back," in early May said that the US was doing "very well" and that the death toll might hit "only" 75,000 in mid-August (we are now at 117,000 in mid-June), and now he's encouraging his supporters to come to one of his big rallies, only to make them all sign a release form which clears him, should they get You Know What.

And yet, people blindly follow and believe his "hopeful optimism," to the point where they ignore that the cases and death rates from this thing continue to climb in the US, at an alarming rate, far more than any other country in the world. And now we have mass gatherings all over the country, because US citizens are "over it."

Three friends of mine have died horribly on ventilators in hospitals, from this damn thing. Four others have gotten it and pulled through, although two of them now have severely compromised health as a result of it. These were not senior citizens with pre-existing conditions, they were vital, healthy individuals before they were hit with it. This thing is real, and it is frightening.

I too miss skating terribly, and I am sorry to rain on anyone's parade.

Sorry for your loss

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Can't the members from the US be a little more humble about the sh... that the country has done about this *****? Saying something like "Yeah I know our country has made some mistakes, but we maybe could pull some events off by end off the year" . They are slapping everyone face

Okay. Our country has made mistakes but maybe we could pull off some events by the end of the year.

I am sure that will take care of everything and the GP events will move forward now. Happy?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Can't the members from the US be a little more humble about the sh... that the country has done about this *****? Saying something like "Yeah I know our country has made some mistakes, but we maybe could pull some events off by end off the year" . They are slapping everyone face

Hang on, I thought you were the one demanding everything should go ahead. That little trip to the bar with your other pseud muddle your brain a little?

D

Deleted member 78951

Hang on, I thought you were the one demanding everything should go ahead. That little trip to the bar with your other pseud muddle your brain a little?

I'm not demanding, I am thinking and hoping

I'm not attacking anyone personally here

I'm still different to Rebecca, maybe your little brain cannot get it (ok, now i attacked personally)

I hope everyone of you stays at home even though we will have the competitions running

Start accepting other opinions. Neither you or your country are inviolable. Just a pain

Dobre

The Johns Hopkins map showing deaths is one solid block of dark blue from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. (It is almost like the disease does not care which of the two states people are in?)

I'm humbly into appreciating any skating we might get this season, even if it's the Dragon Trophy . . . wherever the Dragon Trophy is usually held. Though I'm still thinking domestic stuff is our best bet. It sounds like Japan is hoping to at least hold at-home competitions as there is an announcement saying that regionals & novice nationals will be held without spectators.

ETA: Looked up the Dragon Trophy. Usually held in Slovenia.

meggonzo

Banned Member
I have done nothing but observe.

But I have to say that it's kind of like having one of those guests who stands in the doorway and keeps saying "I gotta go" and then, as you prepare to close the door behind them and get on with your day, continues to talk and talk and talk.

Wanna stay? Come back in and have a cup of coffee. Wanna go? Leave already. But stop standing in the doorway yakking.
So this is the Midwestern goodbye of board suicides.

D

Deleted member 78951

Oh we accept your opinion. Most of us just think it is stupid.

Thats not accepting...thats just bullshit. Like most of this here, few exceptions though. Still waiting for my account to be deleted, and I am not leaving before that

skategal

Bunny mama
If we look at the six GPs - America, Canada, Russia, Japan, China, France.

The US is out. The infection is out of control over there and they have citizens (and a tyrant-wannabe) actively fighting means to control it. Add in the complicating factor of the (rightly) angry protests and it's just not gonna happen.

Canada is a maybe - they seem to be getting on top of things.

Russia is out. The infection rate has been climbing there and given a couple of high-ranked folks have "disappeared" for raising concerns about it, we can't be sure it will be under control by November.

China is out. There's just no way. People will be way too skittish to go to the literal source of infection - and now we see there's been another outbreak there.

Japan is probably out as they are concerned about being able to host the Olympics next year, which means stomping down the curve as quickly and as much as possible. They're not going to want to bring in skaters from other countries - especially not skaters from hotspot countries - for a single GP when the Olympics is at stake.

France - I don't know enough about France's situation to make a call but the last I heard it wasn't going that well.

Don't forget also that many countries still have a 14 day quarantine when you cross the border - let's say Brendan got invited to Skate Canada, he would have to quarantine in a hotel for 14 days the moment he arrived home to Australia - at his expense. If Canada still requires a 14 day quarantine upon entry into their country at that time, he'd be spending a month in quarantine for one competition.

And that's not even getting started on the possibility of many countries just outright refusing to open their borders to certain other countries. I can't see us opening the border to the US for a very long time, for example, and nor should we.

agree with all this except I would reverse Skate America and Skate Canada.

I think Skate America will try to go ahead because everything else is open down there and they don’t seem to want to or care about restricting anything. I’m not saying that’s safe to do that because I think it’s not but I do think they will at least attempt to have it.

I think Skate Canada has a small chance of happening only for the skaters who already live and train in Canada. But that will be hard to coordinate so at the end of the day, it will just be cancelled.

I don’t suspect that the regulations here (Canada) around 14 day quarantine are going to go away anytime soon. Perhaps not until there is a vaccine.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I don't want anything to open up until it is safe. I've been sheltering for months. If everyone except essential workers would have done the same for 28 days this thing might have been eradicated by now. But we have so many stupid citizens who either think it's over or else they're too special to be inconvenienced. So it goes on. Will there be a GP season? Only if non-essential people stay put or wear masks & adhere to 6 ft distance & stop spreading it. Since our illustrious leader has saw fit to refuse safe practices his sheeple will do the same & more people will die. In that case things like sports events being cancelled doesn't ruffle my feathers at all.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don't want anything to open up until it is safe. I've been sheltering for months. If everyone except essential workers would have done the same for 28 days this thing might have been eradicated by now. But we have so many stupid citizens who either think it's over or else they're too special to be inconvenienced. So it goes on. Will there be a GP season? Only if non-essential people stay put or wear masks & adhere to 6 ft distance & stop spreading it. Since our illustrious leader has saw fit to refuse safe practices his sheeple will do the same & more people will die. In that case things like sports events being cancelled doesn't ruffle my feathers at all.

I'm going to start by reminding that I have been sheltering in place this whole time as well, or at the most going to get my hair cut or to the post office to sell off my collectibles to make some money during this time away from work- now at the 3 month mark.

However, I have friends that have tested positive who have simply either gone to get groceries or distanced in general and still ended up with a positive result. I know a couple (living together) where one got it and the other remained negative the whole time. I know three people who have died now from complications. Unless EVERYTHING and I mean absolutely everything is shut down, it's not going to go away. And that's not possible. Essential workers haven't had much choice in this whole thing but they are still at risk even with the precautions. Some people can't get unemployment or have been trying to get their stimulus check for months now or trying to get unemployment to kick in and they are still waiting/long hold times/getting no answers. Most people here are constantly reminding that the extra money they are getting is going to charity- which is great, but it's simply not how much of America lives regarding their funds.

Also, while Trump is not ever giving off the best example, it's the local and state leaders that are pushing for everything to be reopened now. Before someone chimes in with 'not in my city'- I know. There are places that are still trying their best. But for the majority of the US, things are now either into phase 2 or further, and the attitudes as a whole in these places have become extremely lax. Even before things were reopening, there were still some pretty severe numbers.

slicekw

Searching for a great dog park.
Well, I guess the conversation about possible GP has gone off the rails.

Imagine my degree of being stunned when I log in after a couple months, see this thread title and find a flamewar - slash - Sars-CoV-2 conversation/fight. My sympathies to Sharpie and the Mods having to deal with crap.

So I'm thinking that there's a better than 50% chance we won't have a GP. Any news?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I found absolutely nothing in my search on twitter and goldenskate and isu site, either nobody knows or nobody wants to say

As of April or maybe early May, the story that I heard was that JGP and GP were not likely and ISU's ultimate goal was to still manage Worlds in first half of 2021. But with the news and restrictions changing every day, it wouldn't make sense to just cancel anything at that point. Now that numbers are going up in two of the six GP locations and a third has the Olympics to try to handle in 2021, I don't see GP happening.

Talking frequently with a few people who are in the know (and this has not been reported anywhere but whatever), the ISU was fairly recently (around 2 weeks ago) trying to propose the idea to member federations of getting a sixth JGP event in the week following the last event (October 14-17), with the first two being canceled by Slovakia and Canada. So they are/were trying to keep options open.

MsZem

I see the sea
Oh wow, accounts can be deleted on FSU! But I guess you really have to want it.

Re the GPs, given the variation between countries in their experience with and response to the pandemlc, I just can't see it happening. Too much uncertainty, and while we should see more borders opening, I find it rather unlikely that they will be open to people from every country in the timeframe of the GP season.

International competitions that don't follow GP procedures seem doable to me. I don't recall who said that you could have an amazing ice dance international just with the Montreal teams, but it's true. Throw in others training in Canada and it could be a great event. Assuming Canada allows training in the foreseeable future, that could work - that's a big assumption, and the judging would need to be sorted out, of course, but it's not as challenging as a GP under current circumstances. Likewise events involving skaters training in European countries that will open their borders to each other. Basically, any skating competition that avoids travel restrictions could be doable.

We're not going to get a normal season, but I think we could get some kind of season.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Right now the biggest obstacle is having to self quarantine for 2 weeks when you come to Canada. No access to ice, no going out, etc. That’s a long time not to practice

Rebecca Moose

Banned Member
so I get it, the grand prix likely won't be business as usual. there could be too many problems with international travel, etc.

but instead of canceling, why not modify the events and think outside the box?
  • there is no "series" next season, no final.
  • the ISU gives control of the 6 events to the organizing nations to construct the rosters and provide judges/officials (USA, CAN, CHN, FRA, RUS, JPN)
  • only one grand prix event per skater, to reduce travel
  • ISU still provides television/media support, logistics, support, etc
  • judging panels could go down to 5 or 7 judges, if necessary. the events are definitely done on a budget, not many extras.
  • the rosters are largely domestic, but I could see skaters that train in the USA partake in Skate America, like Young You and Marin Honda.
  • it would be up to each hosting country to determine if they would allow skaters to enter from outside the nation. for example, I could see several european skaters participating in the FRA event.
  • there are no world ranking points available, but it's still competition. more than an exhibition. it gives many skaters a chance to compete and fans a chance to watch.
  • the above bullet points could be applied to challenger events as well, so events are geographically spread out and fair.
this way, the sport still can make some revenue, and costs are likely to be much lower without nearly as much international travel. and skaters get a chance to compete. and I think there would be a lot of enthusiasm to attend these events.

for those of us that are deemed "essential" and have to put up with all your bullshit on a daily basis, I would be very happy to attend a competition like this. It's certainly less risky than what I deal with at work. and those of you who want to continue to live in a bubble (or are forced to because of pre-existing conditions) until a vaccine is developed, don't have to attend, but could still watch skating on television.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
so I get it, the grand prix likely won't be business as usual. there could be too many problems with international travel, etc.

but instead of canceling, why not modify the events and think outside the box?
  • there is no "series" next season, no final.
  • the ISU gives control of the 6 events to the organizing nations to construct the rosters and provide judges/officials (USA, CAN, CHN, FRA, RUS, JPN)
  • only one grand prix event per skater, to reduce travel
  • ISU still provides television/media support, logistics, support, etc
  • judging panels could go down to 5 or 7 judges, if necessary. the events are definitely done on a budget, not many extras.
  • the rosters are largely domestic, but I could see skaters that train in the USA partake in Skate America, like Young You and Marin Honda.
  • it would be up to each hosting country to determine if they would allow skaters to enter from outside the nation. for example, I could see several european skaters participating in the FRA event.
  • there are no world ranking points available, but it's still competition. more than an exhibition. it gives many skaters a chance to compete and fans a chance to watch.
  • the above bullet points could be applied to challenger events as well, so events are geographically spread out and fair.
this way, the sport still can make some revenue, and costs are likely to be much lower without nearly as much international travel. and skaters get a chance to compete. and I think there would be a lot of enthusiasm to attend these events.

for those of us that are deemed "essential" and have to put up with all your bullshit on a daily basis, I would be very happy to attend a competition like this. It's certainly less risky than what I deal with at work. and those of you who want to continue to live in a bubble (or are forced to because of pre-existing conditions) until a vaccine is developed, don't have to attend, but could still watch skating on television.
Because money. Such a competition would cost a fortune. With no tickets to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information