Status
Not open for further replies.

all_empty

Alysa took advantage of the higher TES with a 3A+3T combination, while the rest of the field did 3Lz+3T (I think there was one 3F+3T).

Had she simply done a 3A+2T, she wouldn't be in the lead (especially since the Russian ladies are known for doing entry and arm variations to up their GOE on their 3Lz combinations). So smart planning.

One senior ladies SP option the ISU could do what they did with men in 1999, which is to allow a solo 2A or 3A, solo triple or quad, and then a 3+3 or 3+2 combo. That would prevent the TES from going overboard (though in reality, only Trusova has two reliable different quads among senior ladies).

I remember there was some grumbling from maybe Michael Weiss or Elvis that a 3A+3T, 4T, and 2A should be worth more than say, a 3A, 3F+3T, and 3Lz.

That would REALLY benefit a lady with a 3A and quad, i.e. Alysa, maybe Rika and Elizaveta. Alysa could do 3A, 4Lz, and 3Lz+3T, which is already in her repertoire.

Trusova or Scherbakova could "only" do a 2A, 4Lz, and 3Lz+3Lo.

natsulian

With the first half of the 2019-2020 season having come to a close, we can safely say that our US ladies, both senior and junior, have achieved great success. Proud of what the American ladies have accomplished despite such a drastic incline in terms of international depth.

First Half of 2019-2020 Recap:
  • Bradie Tennell managed to nab silver at Skate America, a fourth place finish at Skate Canada, a silver at her Challenger event, and a trip to the Grand Prix Final.
  • Mariah Bell managed to best expectations by claiming TWO podium finishes in both her Grand Prix events (France and Russia) and gold at her Challenger event.
  • Alysa Liu stunned the world during her international debut, claiming two gold medals at her two Junior Grand Prix events and a silver at the Junior Grand Prix Final. Liu became the very first lady to land a Triple-axel and a Quad-lutz in the same program.
  • Amber Glenn and Starr Andrews may not have posted stellar results, but both should be very proud of their progress. Glenn nabbed a surprising bronze at her Challenger event whilst Starr won silver at a junior event at Golden Spin.
  • The return of Karen Chen and Gracie Gold captivated audiences and both seem to be making steady progress with the former currently enrolled in a university and the latter continuing to better herself physically and mentally in preparation for Nationals and beyond.
  • Heavy favorites for the 2019-2020 season Ting Cui and Hanna Harrell both suffered from unfortunate injuries that kept them off the ice. Harrell won bronze in Philadelphia, placed 7th at her Junior Grand Prix event, and has withdrawn from every assignment since. Cui managed to place a respectable 4th at her Challenger event but was forced to step out of the limelight following an off-ice injury. Hopeful that both ladies will show up and show out for Nationals and beyond.
  • New, exciting, and fresh blood debuted on the Junior Grand Prix such as Calista Choi, Isabelle Inthisone, Kate Wang, Sarah Jung, and many more.

In about a month, the aforementioned ladies and many more will be competing for podium finishes at Nationals. Of those lot, a selected few will begin gearing up for the second half of the season in which international championships to crown the very best of the best will be held. As always, best of luck to all of our ladies.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Hats off to Bradie for her 5th place finish at GPF, which really was the best she could have hoped (i.e. placing ahead of Zagitova, as all the other ladies skill level is just too high to overcome). She has room for improvement going into Nats and Worlds but she has proven that she is not one who is going to 'beat herself' (save for the one-off at Warsaw) but will stay standing.

wickedwitch

Hats off to Bradie for her 5th place finish at GPF, which really was the best she could have hoped (i.e. placing ahead of Zagitova, as all the other ladies skill level is just too high to overcome). She has room for improvement going into Nats and Worlds but she has proven that she is not one who is going to 'beat herself' (save for the one-off at Warsaw) but will stay standing.
She has only lost to skaters with 3As or quads this season.

Tinami Amori

I have a question. Is it true that until "recent management change in US FSF" the novice girls where to allowed to do/practice double jumps? (asking because of something i read in another forum).

Debbie S

I have a question. Is it true that until "recent management change in US FSF" the novice girls where to allowed to do/practice double jumps? (asking because of something i read in another forum).
Uh no. Novice Ladies have probably always done doubles - they are required to pass the test. Novice Ladies have been allowed (and are encouraged) to do triples since as long as I've been following the lower levels, around 20 years. At the Juv level (2 levels below Novice), triples were not allowed until last year.

Sylvia

TBD
The jump bonus system at the lower levels was implemented by USFS starting in the 2015-16 season and the section copied out below is excerpted from the 2019-20 USFS rulebook (bottom of page 106):

D. Singles Bonus
Singles skaters can earn bonus points for jumps that are achieved in a short program or free skate. To be eligible for bonus points, jumps must be full value or under-rotated (<) and must be compliant with short or well-balanced program and repeat rules. Unless otherwise specified in this rule, jumps can be performed as a solo jump, or in combination or sequence. Jumps that are downgraded (<<) or have a wrong edge assigned (e) are not eligible for any bonus points. Jumps with an edge attention (!) are eligible for a bonus.
1. Junior Singles Short Program and Free Skate:
a. +1.0 bonus for each triple Axel achieved;
b. +2.0 bonus for each quadruple jump achieved.
2. Novice Singles Short Program and Free Skate:
a. +3.0 bonus for each two-jump combination achieved where both jumps are triple jumps, or a three-jump combination achieved where two triple jumps are executed in succession.
b. +3.0 bonus for each triple Axel achieved;
c. +2.0 bonus for any triple jump achieved that immediately follows a double jump (including double Axel) in a jump combination.
d. [new this season] +1.0 bonus for each different triple jump achieved that doesn’t meet the criteria in paragraphs a, b or c above. The following jumps are eligible for this +1.0 bonus: i. Ladies: toe loop, Salchow, loop, flip, Lutz ii Men: loop, flip, Lutz;
e. [new this season] +2.0 additional bonus for a skater who achieves four or more different triple jumps.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
From what I can see on video replay, it looks to me that Alysa Liu was around on both quads in her fp (called under-rotated), but that she URed the triple jump in the triple/double jumping pass, which the judges gave to her as fully rotated! I'm not sure what the tech panel was looking at.

She showed effort on the quad landings, but they appeared to be around. In any case, it's not a bad thing that Alysa came in second at JGPF, as long as there's not too much politics involved in the scoring.

zigzig

Yeah I thought Alysa’s calls were unfair and that she should have won. Oh well, onwards and upwards. Hope she’ll take the Junior world crown when the time comes.

sjs5572

From what I can see on video replay, it looks to me that Alysa Liu was around on both quads in her fp (called under-rotated), but that she URed the triple jump in the triple/double jumping pass, which the judges gave to her as fully rotated! I'm not sure what the tech panel was looking at.

She showed effort on the quad landings, but they appeared to be around. In any case, it's not a bad thing that Alysa came in second at JGPF, as long as there's not too much politics involved in the scoring.
I definitely thought the 4lz/3t was rotated. The 4lz was borderline. The 3lz/euler/3sal looked okay to me. In any event, she should have won. I guess they were penalyzing her for not being mind boggling flawless like in practice.

natsulian

Wasn’t the 3A over-rotated? Also, the 4Lz+3T was rotated, 4Lz under, and 3A+2T under BARELY. The landings were rough, but not egregious. The tech panel is weird. Alysa also rotates at superhuman speed so they probably did not give her the benefit of the doubt.

robinhood

I think the calls were fair. The 4 Lutzes barely had any flow on the landing indicating the jump wasn't completely backwards. Only the first 3 axel looks rotated and was a fall. She needs speed and flow, It was a stark contrast to the other girls how slow she was

clairecloutier

Amber Glenn comes out in this article:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

I am soooooo confused. Didn't she just marry a guy? What am I missing here? I am just too old for all this "fluidity".

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝

YASSSS! I never would have known.

Live your true self Amber! I can't possibly love her anymore!!

SkateFanBerlin

I have to believe Adam Rippon coming out has helped others to come forward. It must be strange for Amber. Ladies figure skating is so girly. Maybe she likes the sequins and all that make-up. But, what if she doesn't?

olympic

Is Amber the first out female skater? Quite a few gay men, I'm not aware of any women coming out, though

Sylvia

TBD
Pertinent excerpt from the Dallas Voice article:
Strength is something Glenn, hailing from Plano, knows about herself. She is the only openly queer Ladies figure skater competing on Team USA. While Glenn has been out to those in her inner circle for some time, she publicly acknowledges it for the first time in this interview.
“The fear of not being accepted is a huge struggle for me,” she says. “Being perceived as [going through] ‘just a phase’ or [being] ‘indecisive’ is a common thing for bisexual/pan sexual women. I don’t want to shove my sexuality in people’s faces, but I also don’t want to hide who I am.”
Ice dancers Karina Manta (in 2018) and Rachel Parsons (after she stopped competing earlier this year) previously have come out publicly as bisexual.

ETA: Wikipedia says Fumie Suguri came out as bisexual in November 2014.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information