Royalty Thread #10 -Archie Phase 2 - Bold and Bald Still

Status
Not open for further replies.

floskate

Vacant
The post in question was also dragging one woman to lift up another. That is not something to applaud.

Kate is not a mannequin. Meghan is not a drama queen. They're two lovely, intelligent women who are doing their best with the reality rather than the fairytale of being married to a prince.

Thankfully I am not in need of your applause. (But thanks @loopey for your kind words!!). I love Kate, I think she's great, but please show me where Kate has sustained such a consistent and relentless stream of online abuse from not just fans but so called journalists as well. Kate knows how to navigate the system and as our future Queen it's fantastic that she can. I also stand by everything I said about her in my original post mentioning her. How can it be dragging when it's true? She's completely uncontroversial and in this day and age and here in the UK that takes a LOT of hard work, believe me.

MsZem

I see the sea
Thankfully I am not in need of your applause. (But thanks @loopey for your kind words!!). I love Kate, I think she's great, but please show me where Kate has sustained such a consistent and relentless stream of online abuse from not just fans but so called journalists as well. Kate knows how to navigate the system and as our future Queen it's fantastic that she can. I also stand by everything I said about her in my original post mentioning her. How can it be dragging when it's true? She's completely uncontroversial and in this day and age and here in the UK that takes a LOT of hard work, believe me.
It's true that she's barely articulate? That part of your post is no different than the poster who argued that she has no problems in life because she's married to a rich prince and has a nice family. I wish you'd left that out, because the rest of your message was on point and it was unnecessary.

Kate was a target of classist rather than racist abuse, though less so on social media which was not as prominent during her time as a royal girlfriend. Neither woman deserved the ugliness directed at her - which is a point most everyone here seems to agree on.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I remember years ago when National Enquirer appeared on news stands. Just the headlines informed that the contents were trash & shouldn't be taken seriously. I along with other people were vocal at the time that this kind of "news" was harmful & insidious & shouldn't be supported. But people thought it was fun & harmless & before long people were quoting them as truth & the genre multiplied until the entire news stands at the checkouts at grocery stores were filled with nothing but this kind of garbage. We can't blame the internet for the sordid social media, just for making it more accessible.

If you (the universal you, not anyone in particular) have ever bought a tabloid, watched trashy shows on TV, bought the output of paparrazi, made a celebrity of a bad role model (the Kardasians come to mind), or contributed one penny to support this kind of filth then you are part of the problem. You are the reason celebrities can't move without someone intruding into their lives. I was told when I was young that it mattered what we put in our minds. If you regularly put bad things in your mind then eventually it will affect your values. /sermon off

canbelto

I stand by my statement that Kate can't possibly have any problems. She's rich, she's white, she's happily married, she has a loving and supportive family, she has three beautiful kids, and she's gorgeous. She checks all the boxes of a fairy tale life. Excuse me if I roll my eyes at the idea she has "problems."

ballettmaus

I stand by my statement that Kate can't possibly have any problems. She's rich, she's white, she's happily married, she has a loving and supportive family, she has three beautiful kids, and she's gorgeous. She checks all the boxes of a fairy tale life. Excuse me if I roll my eyes at the idea she has "problems."

Does this apply only to Kate or every royal? Did Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden also not have anorexia? Or did she have it because she was not happily married and didn't have any children at the time? What about Mette-Marit who has a chronic illness that can be slowed but not healed? Or is she maybe not as gorgeous as Kate and therefore, she can have problems? What about the men? Do they have problems or does that only apply to women?

I don't think I've ever heard anything that ignorant and twisted.

canbelto

When I mean problems I mean problems out of her control. POC and people born not into millionaire families have problems they can't control -- racism, lack of money, lack of access to healthcare, lack of education or opportunities. If Kate has a problem she can just go to the doctor. If a dress doesn't fit right she can get it tailored. If she is feeling tired she can cancel an event. If she needs to go out she has a nanny. If she doesn't feel like cooking there's wait staff all around her. She doesn't even have to worry about not looking good because she's gorgeous.

MsZem

I see the sea
When I mean problems I mean problems out of her control. POC and people born not into millionaire families have problems they can't control -- racism, lack of money, lack of access to healthcare, lack of education or opportunities. If Kate has a problem she can just go to the doctor. If a dress doesn't fit right she can get it tailored. If she is feeling tired she can cancel an event. If she needs to go out she has a nanny. If she doesn't feel like cooking there's wait staff all around her. She doesn't even have to worry about not looking good because she's gorgeous.
Mette Marit has pulmonary fibrosis. As balletmaus noted, that isn't something that can just be fixed. Having more resources doesn't mean every difficulty can be controlled or fixed. This has been pointed out to you repeatedly.

kittyjake5

Well I was not born into a millionaire family and other than the nanny (my kids are grown) and wait staff ( I do like to eat out) you could
be talking about me, especially the gorgeous part ;)

ballettmaus

Which one is it? Problems that are out of her control or not because a dress that doesn't fit, being too tired for an event (which I don't think she can do just because she feels like it and if she did, the press would be full of speculation and start rumors) or not feeling like cooking aren't really problems that are out of one's control. They are also not things that I'd consider a problem to begin with. If anyone complaint about any of these I'd think that they must lead a pretty good life to consider any of it a problem.

How do you know how she sees herself? You think she's gorgeous. She may think differently about herself. Others may think differently about her looks, too.

I don't know about Great Britain but in Germany, Kate could just go to the doctor if she didn't have any money, too, because we have a thing called universal healthcare. As do many other countries.

But Victoria and Mette-Marit are proof that even if you are white and rich and pretty, you still have problems that are beyond your control and you have no idea what Kate's life really looks like. She seems to be leading a great life but none of us know if that's true and what might be going on behind closed doors.

puglover

Well, for all her beauty, fabulous clothes, celebrity friends, adoring fans, adorable sons - Diana seemed in fact to be a most unhappy young woman. Certainly, her disastrous marriage was surely very painful but that is hardly unique. I also recall the unpleasant nickname "Waity Katie" that had dogged Kate during their courtship.

quartz

scratching at the light
The older I get the more aware I am that women who look like they have it all together, absolutely don't.
Every single fabulous, privileged, educated, well-off, beautiful woman I know, has self-doubts, insecurities, relationship issues, family problems, and everyday life struggles. We all have demons that we hide, some are just better at the façade than others.

Last edited:

mag

You are the reason celebrities can't move without someone intruding into their lives.

Back up the bus! Many, many, many extremely high profile celebrities manage to live their lives without being hounded by the press. They go about their daily lives but they also don’t call the paparazzi and let them know where they will be. Do you think it was just luck that photographers happened to be at the McDonald’s drive through when Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie drove through with their kids? Do you think that they just hang around the airport hoping to catch someone famous coming out? Not to mention that airports like LAX and Heathrow have VIP services available. Anyone who faces the press does so because they want to. When you saw news clips of Diana being hounded at the airport when she arrived home, that was a choice. She may have later regretted the choice, but it was a choice. I have recently heard at least one news person lamenting how hard it was for Meghan to be followed around by the press when all she wanted was a quiet baby shower in New York with her friends. I nearly spit out my tea! Her press people gave very specific instructions to the press about when and where she would be so that the press could be there.

I don’t read tabloid papers, and I agree that paparazzi can definitely be a problem, but they are also regularly used by actors, Royals, and other celebrities as a way of getting exposure and also so those same actors, Royals, and other celebrities can complain about being “hounded by the press.” Does it get out of hand at times? Yes. But it is used as a tool build celebrity. I can’t remember who said this, but years ago I heard an interview where an actor said “the only thing worse than being followed and harassed by the paparazzi is to not be followed and harassed by the paparazzi.”

mjb52

How could anyone post in a thread which is all about the extensive problems Harry has despite his many apparent advantages and be so sure that Kate doesn't have problems? Especially since elsewhere in the thread it mentions her brother's depression?

I think Harry is making a mistake which is really understandable. He thinks if he can just find the right words to convey to the media (I know that the media is not a monolith but just using that term as a shorthand here) how much he was hurt by his mother's death and how important it is to him that his wife is spoken about respectfully, he can cause them to have an epiphany that will change their behavior. He can't and they won't but when members of the media themselves lecture him for trying it really irks me. It reminds me of what people used to say to victims of bullying (and perhaps still do) about how they shouldn't let the bully see that the bully has gotten to them because then they might not be motivated to continue. He is hurt and he is conveying that he is hurt. It won't change anything but I think it's not unreasonable that he hopes that it might. The op-ed "I, a member of the media, am just telling you in your best interest that it is better to be our friend than our enemy" schtick really annoys me, even if it is true.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

How could anyone post in a thread which is all about the extensive problems Harry has despite his many apparent advantages and be so sure that Kate doesn't have problems?

Well, Harry is a man and he's married to a bi-racial woman who is facing racism, so Harry probably gets to have problems.

floskate

Vacant
It's true that she's barely articulate? That part of your post is no different than the poster who argued that she has no problems in life because she's married to a rich prince and has a nice family. I wish you'd left that out, because the rest of your message was on point and it was unnecessary.

Kate was a target of classist rather than racist abuse, though less so on social media which was not as prominent during her time as a royal girlfriend. Neither woman deserved the ugliness directed at her - which is a point most everyone here seems to agree on.

Please show me where I used the word barely? Kate has worked extremely hard with her voice coaches and can deliver pre-scripted speeches adequately well. Meghan is incredibly articulate off the cuff and her command of the English language is admirable.

I stand by my original post. Truth is what truth is and the evidence is out there for anyone who cares to search for it. Facts are facts....not dragging.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Do you think that they just hang around the airport hoping to catch someone famous coming out? Not to mention that airports like LAX and Heathrow have VIP services available.

Actually, they do, at least at Heathrow. Several of the UK papers have photographers stationed at Heathrow, or have made it known that they will buy airport photos of celebs taken by freelance photographers. Many of the photographers have developed contacts with staff in the areas that passengers (both VIP and regular) pass through, so they can get advance info or a heads-up as to who might be travelling that day.

I agree with what you're saying about not all celebs wanting to be photographed, or not tipping off the paparazzi as to where or when they might be around. But photographers have a lot of ways to find out where a celeb might be, even when that person is not actively seeking publicity.

canbelto

Harry is married to Meghan who is not white. I maintain that rich white women who are beautiful, happily married, and have a great family don't have problems. I think by the way that Kate would be the first to agree. She always sounds like a fish out of water making those mental health videos. She'd agree that she's the world's luckiest woman alive. There's nothing she's ever had to struggle with. It's really stunning that people can actually believe she has problems other than Gwyneth Paltrow "I might have accidentally ingested a processed carb" problems.

MsZem

I see the sea
Mette Marit has real problems with her health. Victoria dealt with anorexia and her husband needed a kidney transplant. Princess Mabel of the Netherlands and Princess Caroline of Monaco lost their husbands at a young age. Princess Stephanie of Monaco was in the car with her mother when Princess Grace was killed, and then endured years of speculation about her role in the accident.

Sounds like real problems to me. Grow up.

Please show me where I used the word barely? Kate has worked extremely hard with her voice coaches and can deliver pre-scripted speeches adequately well. Meghan is incredibly articulate off the cuff and her command of the English language is admirable.

I stand by my original post. Truth is what truth is and the evidence is out there for anyone who cares to search for it. Facts are facts....not dragging.
Fine, you used particularly and not barely. It was still done to lift Meghan at Kate's expense. I just can't with the people who have to criticize one of them in order to make the other look good.

Your opinion, BTW, is not fact.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
Harry is married to Meghan who is not white. I maintain that rich white women who are beautiful, happily married, and have a great family don't have problems. I think by the way that Kate would be the first to agree. She always sounds like a fish out of water making those mental health videos. She'd agree that she's the world's luckiest woman alive. There's nothing she's ever had to struggle with. It's really stunning that people can actually believe she has problems other than Gwyneth Paltrow "I might have accidentally ingested a processed carb" problems.

Is this some reverse racism/classism issue? Beautiful white women who are monied can’t possibly have mental health issues? Are you going to follow me round the board now, calling me a racist for asking that?

Piers Morgan is quite frankly, the swear word that begins with a C . Meghan ate lunch with him once and probably rightly decided he was a prick she didn’t want to meet again. He talks about her like a crazy stalker who can’t believe that the guy/girl they met online didn’t want to pursue things after one date.

I am disgusted with the way the DM etc treat Meghan (I only go to their website cos of all the great Royalty photos) but there’s a special place in hell for those nasty pricks in the comment section.

mag

Meghan is incredibly articulate off the cuff and her command of the English language is admirable.

Meghan is an actress who has had years of training so it is not surprising that she speaks well in public and is able to do so from memory without notes. She does, however, not always use the correct words. The latest example was in a speech in South Africa. I can’t remember the word she used, but it sounded very much like the word I suspect she was trying to say, but it was completely the wrong word. Sort of like using “then” instead of “than.” She also uses a lot of jargon and canned inspirational Hallmark language which IMHO sometimes comes across as insincere. I would argue that we don’t really hear “off the cuff” speeches from Meghan. What we hear are memorized speeches designed to sound off the cuff. I think it is along the same lines as “planned spontaneity.” It is great that she memorizes what she wants to say. It helps keep her connection with audience when she isn’t referring to notes.

Here is a 2013 interview with Meghan. She would have been in her early thirties, so an adult. She demonstrates a fair, but limited vocabulary. She speaks clearly, but still uses a lot of filler words.

Meghan is, IMHO, a good public speaker, but given English is her first and I think only language, to describe her as “incredibly articulate” or her command of the English language as “admirable” is a bit of an exaggeration.

floskate

Vacant
Mette Marit has real problems with her health. Victoria dealt with anorexia and her husband needed a kidney transplant. Princess Mabel of the Netherlands and Princess Caroline of Monaco lost their husbands at a young age. Princess Stephanie of Monaco was in the car with her mother when Princess Grace was killed, and then endured years of speculation about her role in the accident.

Sounds like real problems to me. Grow up.

Fine, you used particularly and not barely. It was still done to lift Meghan at Kate's expense. I just can't with the people who have to criticize one of them in order to make the other look good.

Your opinion, BTW, is not fact.

As a British royalist I am fully supportive of both Kate and Meghan. However I'm not blinded to the point that I can't assess the relative strengths and weaknesses of either objectively. Meghan IS a better speaker/conversationalist/has a better natural command of the English language/ than Kate. Ergo she is by all evidence available more articulate which is ALL I said in my initial post on the matter. Your opinion that I apparently tried to "lift Meghan at Kate's expense" is just that...opinion. and according to your opinion is not fact. Something I would completely concur with. :D

floskate

Vacant
Meghan is an actress who has had years of training so it is not surprising that she speaks well in public and is able to do so from memory without notes. She does, however, not always use the correct words. The latest example was in a speech in South Africa. I can’t remember the word she used, but it sounded very much like the word I suspect she was trying to say, but it was completely the wrong word. Sort of like using “then” instead of “than.” She also uses a lot of jargon and canned inspirational Hallmark language which IMHO sometimes comes across as insincere. I would argue that we don’t really hear “off the cuff” speeches from Meghan. What we hear are memorized speeches designed to sound off the cuff. I think it is along the same lines as “planned spontaneity.” It is great that she memorizes what she wants to say. It helps keep her connection with audience when she isn’t referring to notes.

Here is a 2013 interview with Meghan. She would have been in her early thirties, so an adult. She demonstrates a fair, but limited vocabulary. She speaks clearly, but still uses a lot of filler words.

Meghan is, IMHO, a good public speaker, but given English is her first and I think only language, to describe her as “incredibly articulate” or her command of the English language as “admirable” is a bit of an exaggeration.

Not for an American it's not :p

canbelto

Is this some reverse racism/classism issue? Beautiful white women who are monied can’t possibly have mental health issues? Are you going to follow me round the board now, calling me a racist for asking that?

Piers Morgan is quite frankly, the swear word that begins with a C . Meghan ate lunch with him once and probably rightly decided he was a prick she didn’t want to meet again. He talks about her like a crazy stalker who can’t believe that the guy/girl they met online didn’t want to pursue things after one date.

I am disgusted with the way the DM etc treat Meghan (I only go to their website cos of all the great Royalty photos) but there’s a special place in hell for those nasty pricks in the comment section.

You know the DM commenters are mostly Russian-bots who make outrageous comments to get more clicks, more comments, and more ad revenue right? I thought that was pretty well known by now.

As for Kate I maintain that SHE has no problems. And no one in this thread has been able to prove that she has a single problem. I don't care about Victoria or any other royal family member. KATE has no problems because of the unique privileges she's had since she was born.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Harry and Meghan are behaving in a manner that is not congruent with what their words convey.

For people who want privacy, they sure spend a lot of time in the spotlight bemoaning their fate. People successfully navigate the choppy waters of fame/fortune/family.

Example: Announcing there would be no picture as they left the hospital created such drama. Just go out a back entrance! Geesh.

Or going to Wimbledon (in jeans - nothing wrong with jeans, except for the fact that she was seated in the expensive seats. Think, going to the opera in a bathing suit) and asking people to not take pictures. "Hi! I'll be over here! But don't notice me".

And, who expects the press to be fair? That is just silly.

Harry has been in the public life forever. He knows the ins and outs, and the do's and dont's. There is no mystery. They have made choices that have gone against the grain. Either own your decisions, or conform more closely to what is expected, but for heaven sake, stop complaining.

Each time they open their mouths about their "problems" the are shining a light on themselves......the spotlight they claim they don't want.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member

That interview where she is mirroring a quite frankly, moronic and sychophantic interviewer is hardly fair to be assessing her language skills on! :lol:

Reactions: JJH

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
You know the DM commenters are mostly Russian-bots who make outrageous comments to get more clicks, more comments, and more ad revenue right? I thought that was pretty well known by now.

As for Kate I maintain that SHE has no problems. And no one in this thread has been able to prove that she has a single problem. I don't care about Victoria or any other royal family member. KATE has no problems because of the unique privileges she's had since she was born.

Your words were

Harry is married to Meghan who is not white. I maintain that rich white women who are beautiful, happily married, and have a great family don't have problems.

I’m sure Kate had a few problems when she was going through horrific morning sickness, being dubbed “Waity Katie” and the speculation in foreign papers recently that as a British National I’m not bringing up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information