U.S. Ice Dance 2019-20 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
-DelCamp & Somerville earned a high enough score [148] to anticipate their being added to the ISP.
Their names have appeared on the ISP list today.

Molly CESANEK / Yehor YEHOROV are the only U.S. dance team listed for JGP #3 in Riga, Latvia.

Subs are:
Ella ALES / Daniel TSARIK (Lake Placid)
Oona BROWN / Gage BROWN
Anna LAVROVA / Maxwell GART (Lake Placid)
Avonley NGUYEN / Vadym KOLESNIK (Lake Placid)
Elizabeth TKACHENKO / Alexei KILIAKOV (Courchevel)
Katarina WOLFKOSTIN / Jeffrey CHEN (Courchevel)

ETA:
Lavrova & Gart are on the JGP sub list. One assumes both they and Tkachenko & Kiliakov qualified for the ISP based on their Texas Cannon scores
At Cannon Texas Open last month, Tkachenko/Kiliakov scored 138.08 and Lavrova/Gart scored 126.94 so I guess we can assume the ISP minimum score is around 126 for the teams not already listed in the ISP.

Summer scores of the junior teams not currently in ISP (all are new partnerships except for Lin/Sletten. Pride/Lawless & Taylor/Vollmer):
Angela Ling/Caleb Wein 120.22 (Cannon TX), 118.48 (Lake Placid Int'l)
Gianna Buckley/Anton Spiridonov 114.74 (Cactus Classic), 119.13 (Lake Placid); he competed internationally for Russia with his previous partner in January 2019: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106733.htm
Jordan Lin/Morgan Sletten 108.10 (Cannon TX), 113.57 (Lake Placid)
Marine Pouliot/Kenan Slevira 101.37 (Cactus Classic), 110.65 (Lake Placid); she competed internationally for Canada in Adv. Novice Pairs at Egna Spring Trophy in April 2018
Jenna Hauer/Christian Bennett 98.21 (Lake Placid)
Cordelia Pride/Benjamin Lawless 96.38 (Lake Placid)
Breelie Taylor/Tyler Vollmer 73.95 (Chesapeake)
Sofiya Litvinova/Cameron Colucci 64.23 (Lake Placid FD only)
Hilary Asher/Kyle Pearson 63.02 (Cannon TX FD only)
Morgan Bottesch/Harrison Sokol 51.18 (Chesapeake)
Samantha Ritter/Jim Wang 38.94 (Cannon TX RD only; he competed at 2019 Jr. Worlds with his previous partner for TPE)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
According to @Dobre, Ling/Wein earned both TES minimums for 2020 Junior Worlds (23 / 37) in the Lake Placid junior international competition, while Tkachenko/Kiliakov earned the minimum TES score in the RD.

aftershocks

Banned Member

platniumangel

Edges of Glory posted a sweet article on Eliana Gropman! What an accomplished young lady! I’m glad she’s moved on from the questionable actions that ended her decade + partnership. Good luck to Eliana!

Dobre

Dance Pairs Chicago wrapped up this weekend so this seems like a good time to post summer scores for the junior dance teams. I've tried to include everything I know of that was over 126 because that is the approximate number we've heard for making the ISP list; and if it's not accurate, it is in the target area. Ling & Wein just earned their first 126+ score this weekend so we can't know yet if it will get them on the ISP, but it's definitely plausible as Lavrova & Gart made it based on a score less than 1/2 a point higher. Teams' best scores are in bold. If I have left out any scores over 126 or if I have copied out any numbers incorrectly, please let me know. Thanks!

U.S. Summer Junior Dance Scores over 126:

162.30 Nguyen & Kolesnik-Dance Pairs Chicago
152.63 Nguyen & Kolesnik-Texas Cannon Open
150.33 Wolfkostin & Chen-Chesapeake Open
150.17 Wolfkostin & Chen-Texas Cannon Open
148.04 DelCamp & Somerville-Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships
145.41 Wolfkostin & Chen-Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships
140.98 DelCamp & Somerville-Dance Pairs Chicago
138.08 Tkachenko & Kiliakov-Texas Cannon Open
136.93 Ales & Tsarik-Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships
135.69 The Browns-Chesapeake Open
134.56 Cesanek & Yehorov-Lake Placid International*

132.96 The Browns-Lake Placid International*
126.94 Lavrova & Gart-Texas Cannon Open
126.59 Ling & Wein-Dance Pairs Chicago

126.49 Lavrova & Gart-Dance Pairs Chicago

*=International

Dobre

annie720

Article on The Greens:

https://content.digitalpub.blue-soho.com/web/y5b2/0A1uvwc/AugustSeptember2019/flash/resources/46.htm?origin=reader&refUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.goldenskate.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3F81163-2019-20-U-S-Ice-Dance%2Fpage3

-Their challenges from last season.
-Gordon's decision to move on from skating & become a full-time college student.
-Caroline repartnering with Michael.

It's a nice article.

Great article! It's nice that they explained the reasons for the change.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's a very well written article, so that's nice to see in Skating magazine. And so that explains what a lot of fans were unnecessarily anguishing about and speculating over. It sounds about as expected. Gordon wished to move on and pursue other interests after he and his sister both came back successfully from a difficult time off due to her illness and surgery recovery. I get the sense that winning the junior ice dance title at U.S. Nationals in January was an extremely important goal for the Greens, so I'm glad they achieved that milestone.

It seems likely that Gordon did some soul-searching during the forced timeout, and after achieving a long sought after mutual goal with Caroline, he was prepared to move forward with other interests. That is not uncommon in pairs and ice dance partnerships.

It is really nice that they decided to openly share what they've been through and what prompted their decisionmaking. It was fortunate for Caroline that Michael Parsons was suddenly available, and vice-versa. Caroline and Michael look very good together, and I look forward to seeing their progress over the course of the new season.

arakwafan2006

Anthony and Christina are doomed if Camerlengo doesn’t become more involved. Igor’s choreography is terrible

Dobre

I guess I'm unclear on their choreographer(s). I was thinking Christopher Dean did one of Carreira & Ponomarenko's programs. The spreadsheet says Igor did the RD. Which would leave the free. Or are we unclear on who did the free? Perhaps it was a compilation of more than one choreographer? Or perhaps Dean just came in and worked with them on style after Shpilband and/or Camerlengo did the choreography?

(Anyway, I like the RD better than their free regardless of who did the free. Though it is quite common for the RD to be more ready this early in the season).

believed

I guess I'm unclear on their choreographer(s). I was thinking Christopher Dean did one of Carreira & Ponomarenko's programs. The spreadsheet says Igor did the RD. Which would leave the free. Or are we unclear on who did the free? Perhaps it was a compilation of more than one choreographer? Or perhaps Dean just came in and worked with them on style after Shpilband and/or Camerlengo did the choreography?

(Anyway, I like the RD better than their free regardless of who did the free. Though it is quite common for the RD to be more ready this early in the season).

And while Shpilband took the choreographic lead on both programs, the team has consulted as well with Massimo Scali and, during a week in Colorado Springs, Christopher Dean — “a figure skating genius,” in Ponomarenko’s words.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Who is to say Pasquale isn’t involved? It doesn’t look like pure Igor choreography to me. I actually liked the choreography in the on Ice perspectives video.
Uh okay. All I saw was Igor’s trademark arm throwing, hops after step/turn combinations, and transitions that had nothing to do with the music.

platniumangel

Uh okay. All I saw was Igor’s trademark arm throwing, hops after step/turn combinations, and transitions that had nothing to do with the music.

I don’t see that. Lol. I can definitely tell there were other choreographers involved, in my opinion. The article seems to confirm that (Christopher Dean, Massimo, Pasquale) Their free dance must not be too horrific (to the judges) if they were ahead of McNamara/Carpenter,
Soucisse/Firus and Green/Parsons at LP.

arakwafan2006

yes. Pasquale is really needed more here. it's the details. With Weaver and Poje, he helped them and the whole dance school in Detroir. Pasquale is fantastic. If i recall, one of the reasons for the split with Marina was that Igor, wanted more control choreographically. It will hurt Christina and Anthony. Her posture, and overall identity in the team are suffering. All i can say is, look at what one change in choreographer did for Madison and Evan. I've never liked their dancing until last year. They had the best programs at National's and their actual skating hadn't changed much. Igor still is a superior Dance coach but his choreography for anything that isn't Tango needs to remain in the 90's

aftershocks

Banned Member
Perhaps it's the music selection and style that doesn't work so well for Christina & Anthony.

Edges of Glory posted a sweet article on Eliana Gropman! What an accomplished young lady! I’m glad she’s moved on from the questionable actions that ended her decade + partnership. Good luck to Eliana!

https://www.edgesofglory.com/post/meet-eliana-gropman

Thanks for sharing! It's great that Eliana has responded in a positive way to the split with Ian. It's very sad and unfortunate that she seems to have felt blindsided. Certainly, breaking the news via email from Mom-to-Mom sounds rather harsh. OTOH, we do not really know everything that transpired among the families or between Eliana and Ian over the course of their partnership.

When things are going good, probably everyone is mostly happy. The ways that splits happen though obviously aren't always amicable. I would be surprised if there weren't any signs on either side that everyone wasn't completely happy, for whatever reason. Eliana obviously had applied to college in a state other than where she was training. It's entirely possible that Ian and even the Wheaton coaches might have wondered about Eliana's future plans and her full commitment to taking the partnership to the next level. Either Ian simply wanted to skate with someone else anyway, or he had reason to doubt his future in skating with Eliana, and he began to actively think about other partner options. Seemingly, there was a lack of communication on both sides. In an old video, Ian spoke about working toward making the Olympics, so he obviously had been expecting that to happen with Eliana at the time of the interview:

I am reminded of how Rudy Galindo got the news that he and Kristi were no longer partnered. Kristi was never allowed to speak directly to Rudy. It's really nice that in later years, Kristi and Rudy have reconnected, and Rudy coached Kristi's daughter, Emma (I don't know whether he is still coaching her, or if she's even still skating).

It's cool learning more about Eliana (especially since she likely began skating in my hometown of Cleveland). The article is a lovely tribute to Eliana's amazing accomplishments on and off-the-ice. What I'm glad about for both Ian and Eliana is that they seem happily settled in with their present circumstances going forward. Good luck to them both!

aftershocks

Banned Member
I love Avonley & Vadim. Are they skating to The Little Mermaid? The sound was so low for this video. While they look energetic and the RD has its moments, I don't think this style of skating is very suited to them.

A&V's FD is very lovely, if similar to what they've done previously. I'm sure both programs will grow and improve over the course of the season.

winston

I love Avonley & Vadim. Are they skating to The Little Mermaid? The sound was so low for this video. While they look energetic and the RD has its moments, I don't think this style of skating is very suited to them.

A&V's FD is very lovely, if similar to what they've done previously. I'm sure both programs will grow and improve over the course of the season.
(bold added)

Aladdin, I believe. And as you said, I'm sure it will grow over time.

platniumangel

Perhaps it's the music selection and style that doesn't work so well for Christina & Anthony.

Thanks for sharing! It's great that Eliana has responded in a positive way to the split with Ian. It's very sad and unfortunate that she seems to have felt blindsided. Certainly, breaking the news via email from Mom-to-Mom sounds rather harsh. OTOH, we do not really know everything that transpired among the families or between Eliana and Ian over the course of their partnership.

When things are going good, probably everyone is mostly happy. The ways that splits happen though obviously aren't always amicable. I would be surprised if there weren't any signs on either side that everyone wasn't completely happy, for whatever reason. Eliana obviously had applied to college in a state other than where she was training. It's entirely possible that Ian and even the Wheaton coaches might have wondered about Eliana's future plans and her full commitment to taking the partnership to the next level. Either Ian simply wanted to skate with someone else anyway, or he had reason to doubt his future in skating with Eliana, and he began to actively think about other partner options. Seemingly, there was a lack of communication on both sides. In an old video, Ian spoke about working toward making the Olympics, so he obviously had been expecting that to happen with Eliana at the time of the interview:

I am reminded of how Rudy Galindo got the news that he and Kristi were no longer partnered. Kristi was never allowed to speak directly to Rudy. It's really nice that in later years, Kristi and Rudy have reconnected, and Rudy coached Kristi's daughter, Emma (I don't know whether he is still coaching her, or if she's even still skating).

It's cool learning more about Eliana (especially since she likely began skating in my hometown of Cleveland). The article is a lovely tribute to Eliana's amazing accomplishments on and off-the-ice. What I'm glad about for both Ian and Eliana is that they seem happily settled in with their present circumstances going forward. Good luck to them both!

Speaking of Eliana, she seems to be back on the ice- but in Novi. See Instagram photo from Maxwell Gart’s IG. He and Anya Lavrova have been training in Novi, and I was surprised yo see Eliana in the group photo!

aftershocks

Banned Member
Speaking of Eliana, she seems to be back on the ice- but in Novi. See Instagram photo from Maxwell Gart’s IG. He and Anya Lavrova have been training in Novi, and I was surprised yo see Eliana in the group photo!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1QBAFTH1Zy/?igshid=1vvonf9swhdtm

That's good. I would imagine Eliana intends to keep up with her skating skills, and if Novi is handy to where she's going to school, that's perfect. If another partner eventually materializes, that's cool too.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
In the Loop did an interview of Wolfkostin / Chen.

Sylvia

TBD

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information