From Russia With Love (No 32): Spring to Summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rina RUS

he could pretend to say something half intelligent maybe?

This. He doesn't try to pretend.
Even when he knows his opinion "isn't fashionable".

You never have a day without... : "Going to the bathroom. Too direct? At least it's honest..."

Your translation is not direct enough. :) He said: "go to the toilet" and that his nightmare is that he didn't manage to get there on time. (before pissing his pants)
I think he likes to speak about toilets and about his tears, because he wants to be just an ordinary human being. It seems he likes to help other people to overcome their weakness. He can say he was so anxious when he started to play in theatre, that he had to "change his diapers". Yet he keeps doing what he does.

As for Romeo... I think he understands, that he can't be good Romeo with his behaviour. (as we remember, he doesn't want to change his behaviour)

:) Yagudin - about Marinin:
I adore smart people with whom I can have plenty to talk about. Actually, athletes are not really talkative... This is why I always respected Maxim: you can chat on any subject with him. We are like a battery: plus and minus. He is an example of class, education, wide reading, cleverness and so on. I'm the complete opposite.

When he is asked to finish a phrase, he bravely does it - almost without thinking. Yet... it is beautiful, that he doesn't care about words. He just doesn't want his wife to argue with him, but he says she may do whatever she wants, because he forgets what they were talking about. It seems... he is a fantastically quiet creature, actually. :) No wonder Lambiel hugs him again and again. No wonder people ask him: "How many sons do you have?"

His page in Instagram informs, that he is an atheist. (He is a master of anti-PR!)
I just trust my eyes:
such love and happiness are a rare thing :)

Sorry, I have reasons to respect him. I don't want him to "pretend".

Tinami Amori

Now we're talking about treating LGBTQ folks with dignity and respect as "fashionable", and because he's honest with his lack of education, his opinion should be respected? No thank you.
I would not have an issue with Yagudin answering a direct question about "what if your daughter as adult chose a same sex partner". After all, he has a right to respond honestly. I have an "issue" with the fact that he chose to take a more general question in that direction. Although it is also an honest answer, in "his line of business aka skating and media" he comes in contact with people who are in same sex relationship.

I guess, on the other hand, he is saying "what he does not want for his family", and not "what others should or should not do".

Plushenko's wife, when asked what they would do if their son as an adult discovers that he is gay, said something like "If that is his true nature, and not just trying playing with my cosmetics or clothes, we would love and support him, but suggest he lives in Europe, because in Russia it his life would be hard".

Rina RUS

"Respected"? I'd say he doesn't respect his own opinion, if he says: "I forget what we were talking about".
As for me, I trust my eyes: I see his relations with people are just amazing. It seems sometimes people think he is a kitten
I think his deeds, his relations with people are more important than his words. For me it's a reason to respect.
For me. I said nothing like "should be".

Last edited:

VGThuy

I've known tons of people who will be nice to you in person but then spew hateful rhetoric and support policies that will cause great harm to whole communities you are a part of. In some ways, I think it's worse because it shows a real lack of understanding of who you are and some sort of privilege that they think they can separate you from the community you just said some disgusting things about. Maybe I shouldn't blame them for their lack of ability to synthesize how harmful their public words are and the grand effects the views they are espousing can cause to whole LGBTQ communities while acting like buddies with some select LGBTQ people they work with, but I can't. I think it doesn't matter how uneducated or unsophisticated he is, he still said it and I don't care how many hugs he gives to his fellow skaters. His words are also actions.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
How about talking Yags & Galindo while we're at it :lol:

Yes, there are people who just want to see the world burn.
I am one of those.

Rina RUS

You know... that's not about being nice. The way Yagudin lives is amazing (I mean... people don't live like that). :) People can't stop laughing at him, when he tells, that the workers who are supposed to rebuild his house, go to his bathhouse together with him, invite him to their meals, have brought TV, grow fennel there. He laughs and says: "I like, that they are happy." He is asked: "Do you like these workers? Or they are just your friends and together you'll invite some other workers?" He is asked: "You are happy, but what about Tanya?" (his wife) He answers: "Tanya loves her husband." He and Tanya "have crossed the point of no return", he says: "now all is well" and "no, there were no scandals" (about these workers). Yes, his wife is agreeable, but I think there is a reason for that: it seems he is extremely agreeable and quiet too, actually.
He easily says: "Come and live with us: your kids, our kids, dogs, everything - it will be a big family!" He not just says he lives in paradise, he really lives like a creature which knows almost nothing about the real world.
He is not careful indeed, not attentive, often... he almost has no opinion. When he is asked what food he likes, he says: "any". He says his first daughter has the same nature: she doesn't care what clothes she wears and etc.

He is ready to cheer for everyone - it looks funny :)

I never liked to hear taboo words (even if I loved the person using them). Yet when I heard Yagudin using taboo words... I felt respect, because he spoke with love and patience. It was odd, that it didn't affront my ear. To say the truth... he can be too strict and rude, when he thinks he should stop people who think they may come to any instagram with comments like "isn't she too old?" or with silly advices, but... I forgive him even in these cases.

It seems many fans don't like the beginning of his "Sway". Yet I also saw a comment: "And the gods smiled" (smiled seeing this) It is possible to say I don't like such behaviour either, yet... I do like, that actually he is not sexy when he does it: he looks like a child who doesn't know what a sin is. It is beautiful indeed, a reason to smile indeed - a reason to forgive. I'm grateful, that he teaches to forgive. I feel the world needs somebody who lives like he does.
(I mean this)
he can be even more childish :)

:) I prefer to forgive Yagudin who is an extremely friendly child, - than to say people should pretend to be nice (and to live among people pretending to be nice).

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Some fotos from Novogorsk Training Camp (random order)

Just an FYI in case some are not familiar. Novogorsk is a major multi-sport training base, with several facilities, including for figure skating.

Veronika Zhilina

Anna Shcherbakova
she also adopted another homeless pet - little kitten

Alena Kostornaya (in a military war-game practice)
if looks could kill.... :lol:

Alena Kanysheva

Novices
(homework for regular school work)

Kunitza with his doggy

---
few random fotos:
Polina Tsurskaya out for walk with Diana Davis

Elena Ilynikh - fan art from "Rasputin"

Ka3sha

Approved list of candidates for Russian national teams (main and reserve)

Seniors, alphabetic order
Ladies
Main: Alina Zagitova, Alena Kostornaia, Evgenia Medvedeva, Sofia Samodurova, Aleksandra Trusova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Anna Scherbakova
Reserve: Anastasia Gubanova, Stanislava Konstantinova
Men
Main: Dmitrii Aliev, Mikhail Kolyada, Andrei Lazukin, Roman Savosin, Aleksandr Samarin,
Reserve: Sergei Voronov, Makar Ignatov, Aleksandr Petrov, Anton Shulepov
Pairs
Main: Boikova/Kozlovskii, Efimova/Korovin, Zabiyako/Enbert, Mishina/Gallyamov, Pavluchenko/Khodykin, Tarasova/Morozov
Reserve: Kudryavtseva/Spiridonov
Ice Dance
Main: Evdokimova/Buzin, Zahorski/Guerreiro, Popova/Mozgov, Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Skoptsova/Aleshin, Stepanovna/Bukin
Reserve: Morozov/Bagin, Shevchenko/Eremenko, Shpilevaya/Smirnov

Separation between senior/junior or junior/novice teams is not really strict. For example, the fact that Erokhov is on the junior team doesn't mean that he will stay in juniors. They just try to maximize athletes chances to get funding.
Junior Ladies
Main: Kamilla Valieva, Victoria Vasilieva, Alena Kanysheva, Ksenia Sinitsina, Anastasia Tarakanova, Anna Tarusina
Reserve: Anna Frolova
Junior Men
Main: Petr Gumennik, Arthur Danielian, Alexei Erokhov, Georgia Kunitsa, Andrei Mozalev, Egor Murashov,
Reserve: Aleksandr Golubev, Gleb Lutfullin, Egor Rukhin
Junior Pairs
Main: Akhantieva/Kolesov Vislobokova/Bryukhanov, Kostiukovich/Yalin, Mukhametsianova/Mironov, Panfilova/Rylov, Pepeleva/Pleshkov
Reserve: Orlova/Bakhmat, Nikita Rakhmanin (without partner)
Junior Ice Dance
Main: Andreeva/Desyatov, Davis/Smolkin, Khudaberdieva/Nazarov, Ushakova/Nekrasov, Shanaeva/Narizhny, Lazareva/Prokofiev
Reserve: Ivanenko/Karpov, Aleksandr Vakhnov (without partner), Khavronina/Chirizano

Novice Girls
Main: Sofia Akatieva, Daria Usacheva, Maia Khromukh
Reserve: Veronika Zhilina, Sofia Samodelkina
Novice Boys
Main: Maxim Belyavskii, Matvei Vetlugin, Daniil Samsonov, Ilya Yablokov
Reserve: Andrei Kutovoi, Semyon Soloviev, Arsenii/Fedotov
Novice Pairs
Main: Mukhortova/Evgeniev, Scheglova/Kalashnikov
Ice Dance
Main: Karashinskaya/Vaskovich, Tutunina/Schustitskii

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Questions:
How did Gubanova get her call above Tarusina? (sorry @rfisher , just curious)

Savosin made the main team due to jr worlds medal I suppose? How did Shulepov edged out Murashov and Miliukov? (don't get me wrong, very happy for Shulepov)

Kudriavtseva/Spiridonov got the call above Kostiukovich/Ialin and Panfilova/Rylov? What does that mean? They are staying junior?

How can Savosin with jr worlds medal make main team, but Shevchenko/Eremenko not whilst other couples with medicaore season are in?

Is there any system or real criteria?

Question above all: In which team is Leonova? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Ka3sha

Is there any system or real criteria?
12 places on the main team per Ladies/Men, 6 per Ice Dance and Pairs each. They consider both National and International results, as far as I understand.
Since junior ice dancers (Shevchenko/Eremenko in this case) can't take part in senior nationals, they have less chances to make the main team

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
So, the odds are good the full team will get 2 GP slots and Gubanova and Konstantinova at least one each? Yes? Please!
Both as Top 24 SB are guaranteed one if they are submitted (and the rules haven't changed). So is Sakhonovich, nowhere to be found on the list. Is she being Sokolova-ed?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The biggest advantage of doing at least one GP event is a guaranteed trip to Nationals without having to do the Russian qualifiers. Sakhanovich had one win at a challenger which boosted her SB score. I imagine the RuFed looked at all the other events when deciding funding levels. Sorry for Sima, but if it gets Gubanova 2 events, I'll shove her under the proverbial bus. The biggest understatement in skating is it's rough to be a female skater in Russia. You bring it or else. I fully expect to see a different team by the Olympics. Some may still be there, others will be dropped out. Your shelf life is limited.

Dobre

Since junior ice dancers (Shevchenko/Eremenko in this case) can't take part in senior nationals, they have less chances to make the main team

So that pretty much confirms that Lakernik's "explanation" quoted in the GP Selection Thread on the Junior Worlds medalists getting next "pick" after the Worlds ladies' medalists is not true even among the Russian Federation for Junior World medalists in general, but that it at least has some relation to the fact that the same two ladies that medaled at Junior Worlds also medaled at Nationals. (Meanwhile Kostornaia gets added to Team A because she medaled at Nationals and won the JGPF, but Shevchenko & Eremenko who medaled at Junior Worlds and won the JGPF don't get added to Team A without having competed at Senior Nationals).

Yehudi

AITA
Ivanenko and Karpov may have split although both are still with Kustarova. They each had pictures with Kaliszek and Spodyrev but with different partners.

oleada

Both as Top 24 SB are guaranteed one if they are submitted (and the rules haven't changed). So is Sakhonovich, nowhere to be found on the list. Is she being Sokolova-ed?

Sakhanovich did not qualify to Russian nationals which I imagine is part of the criteria to be part of the national team.

J

Jeschke

Men
Main: Dmitrii Aliev, Mikhail Kolyada, Andrei Lazukin, Roman Savosin, Aleksandr Samarin,
Reserve: Sergei Voronov, Makar Ignatov, Aleksandr Petrov, Anton Shulepov
The men team still leaves me kinda :huh:
Ignatov did not even skate internationally besides some bad junior event outing in Tallinn.
(I know of his last skate at some russian event with all the quads and I am damn happy he is back and made it and gets funding but...) how can this qualify above Dimitriev who won a CS medal this season and Miliukov who came in 4th at another CS and 6th at nationals?
Not to speak of Petrov (who I like too) who only skated some random international b event and.

Last edited by a moderator:

DobrinFan

The men team still leaves me kinda :huh:
Ignatov did not even skate internationally besides some bad junior event outing in Tallinn for him.
(I know of his last skate at some russian event with all the quads and I am damn happy he is back and made it and gets funding but...) how can this qualify above Dimitriev who won a CS medal this season and Miliukov who came in 4th at another CS and 6th at nationals?
Not to speak of Petrov (who I like too) who only skated some random international b event and.

Per FSkate Nationals and the Cup final are priority 1 and 2 when it comes to funding/deciding the national team (top 5) not medals at a CS event. Miliukov and Dmitriev both finished outside the top 5 at Nationals and Cup final. At the cup final, Ignatov was 4th and Petrov medaled. Also does the reserve team get funding? I was under the impression that they did not.

J

Jeschke

Per FSkate Nationals and the Cup final are priority 1 and 2 when it comes to funding/deciding the national team (top 5) not medals at a CS event.
No fan of host events having priority for funding :skandal
(If CS are not important, I demand to fill all ladies spots next time with Nugu & Co.! 👆)

(Not to speak that Ignatov did not even qualify to skate there, so in theory, shouldn't even have been there,...but yeah, I leave it here and am just happy, if he gets funding, if at all)

Dobre

Dobre

Leonova was added as an alternate to NHK Trophy last year.

Yes. Does that mean she may not have been submitted at all for the initial selection? (Essentially what I'm asking is whether a federation can elect not to submit you initially and then submit you later?)

Sylvia

TBD
I don't know. Perhaps the GP alternates list has nothing to do with whether or not a federation has submitted their skater(s) for initial selection?

Tinami Amori

Just few FYI's.
Question above all: In which team is Leonova? :D
Leonova got married in April this year, to Shulepov. She has not so far announced any training plans, or programmes.
She did post, however, 2 comments (subject to interpretation... :lol:) (the links may show "error" but they open for me).
"It's most important to endure/withstand, not break, and learn to fly again"
"Magic - is when you have faith in yourself. If you have it, you have the rest".
(alt: if you can get it, you can get the rest).

how can this qualify above Dimitriev who won a CS medal this season and Miliukov who came in 4th at another CS and 6th at nationals?
Dmitriev just underwent a surgery, removing a growth from inside of his nasal cavity, which hindered his breathing and ability to train. He will need a minimum of 1 month to recover, but he already started to work on his new programmes, and hopes to skate this season.

But does it mean the Russian Fed won't submit her name for GP selection, if she's not on the National team.
Sakhanovich plans to skate this season in any events they'll assign to her. (she gave an interview last week, if people are interested i can translate it, but it is mostly about her past). She has both SP and FS programmes in works. She is currently at a Training Camp in Italy, with Turenko's team.

Ivanenko and Karpov may have split although both are still with Kustarova. They each had pictures with Kaliszek and Spodyrev but with different partners.
Here is the recap. All 4 teams switched partners (all except Rvachev, have teamed up)
https://vk.com/wall-118768737_78299
Split:
Ivanenko and Karpov
Zhukova and Biktimirov
Alieva and Kaygorodtzev
Lebedeva and Rvachev
Formed:
Ivanenko - Utkin
Zhukova - Karpov
Alieva - Biktimirov
Lebedeva - Kaygorodtzev

Khudaberdieva/Nazarov - it is very odd that they are still on the list, they split up, Khudaberdieva posted a "farewell note" on her social media, and is trying out with another skater.

Julia Lipnitskaya (as Ilinikh's partner) posted an advert on her FB.
Sergey Polunin will be holding "Master Class ballet for young figure skating" for their Academy.
Elena is back in Moscow, they resumed their training work.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Sakhanovich plans to skate this season in any events they'll assign to her.
Right, but if the Russian Fed doesn't submit her name for GP, she won't be assigned the spot guaranteed her in the initial selection*. This is what they did to Sokolova back in the day.

*Unclear is whether this covers host picks and/or whether skaters who don't win one of the early designated internationals/CS events can be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information