U.S. Ladies [#26]: Bell, Boots, and Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

I'm surprised it's not Raf who coached a World Champion and another skater who made it Worlds and got her to skate well there even with some strange controversy that became serious abuse and harassment against her in the middle of the competition.
I think it could have been Raf (for Nathan's results), but maybe it was mentioned too often that Nathan did not train with Raf on reg. basis while at Yale.

Either way would be good and right..... Rafik, Laurochka.. Рафик, Лаурочка... :lol:

Willin

Figure skating music is stuck in a rut. I thought allowing music with lyrics was supposed to open up skating to more contemporary music rather than the same old boring warhorses over and over and over and over again...but every time someone thinks outside the box and picks something modern, they get shot down and told to pick something "safer."
See, my problem isn't that it's Britney, it's that Work B*tch is a very one note club song. Someone that can ham it up like Adam or if there's time to ham it up like in a show it could work, but in competition I like things that are more than one note (and have good musical cues for jumping). I also think that the pop song has to work for the skater in question. In Mariah's case, I think Lucky would have been a much better choice of music both choreographically and fit-wise.

Now, she can prove me wrong: maybe there's a great re-mix. She played a sexy vixen well for parts of her Roxie program. Maybe the choreography will blow me out of the water. But taken at surface level, it's a dud. By all accounts of people who know/have met her (well, except Eunsoo Lim's agency, but it's debatable if they know her) and based on social media she's really sweet and friendly. It seems like there's not a fierce bone in her body, and fierce is basically the point of Work B*tch.

Also, I'm not a fan of skating to a song where the title has to be bleeped out/deleted from every TV broadcast, especially when the title is like half the words of the song's chorus.

Frida80

A couple of years ago, Mariah had a SP and changed it before the start of the season. She may not even keep this one. Even if she does, maybe the edits won't be so bad. I'm really interested in seeing Mariah try edgier things.

aliona22

I think Mariah’s SP will be great. Adam Rippon has yet to make a choreographic faux pas in his own skating or anyone else’s... he won’t give Mariah a flop program. I seem to remember quite a few raised eyebrows at a certain dance team choosing Austin Powers for their 2003/04 FD, and that worked out brilliantly. :navkos1:

Japanfan

[QUOTE="AxelAnnie, post: 5590619, member: 2284" Maybe it is a right of passage.[/QUOTE]

Rite of passage.

And yes, I think it is. Every year a whole new batch of lady skaters think that they have something unique to bring to Carmen, many of them still teenagers. And then a few men think 'hey, I can do it too!'.

Or I think they think they have something unique to bring to it. Perhaps it's not that, perhaps it's just a safe choice of music that has already been cut (hence saving money) and skaters can just sleepwalk through it, drawing on how other skaters have interpreted it.

ETA: Better ladies skating to 'Carmen' than girls skating to 'Big Spender'.

Last edited:

concorde

Upcoming Junior Isabelle Inthisone (Novice Bronze medalist in 2019) shows us a snippet of her practicing a 4T on the harness. They began work on the 4T about a few months ago.

https://www.instagram.com/isabelleinthisone/ - Check out her story

Isabeau got 2nd as an Intermediae at Nationals last year. She is skipping Novice and will skate as a Junior next year. I look forward to watching her in the years to come.

euterpe

Isabeau got 2nd as an Intermediae at Nationals last year. She is skipping Novice and will skate as a Junior next year. I look forward to watching her in the years to come.

You're thinking of Isabeau Levito, who won Intermediate silver.

The instagram is of Isabelle Inthisone who won Novice bronze.

natsulian

Isabeau Levito said she’ll be working on a consistent 3Lz this season. I believe she already has two consistent 3-3 combos: 3Lo-3T and 3S-3T. Mia is about her age and has a 3Lz-3T and 3Lz-3Lo. Our upcoming field of ladies are packing. Hopefully they’ll continue to improve and be healthy.

SCeline

Does anyone know if Alysa is planning to compete during any of the summer competitions ahead of the start of the JGP season? I presume that since these would be "domestic" events, she would by necessity be entered in senior level events (and thus a free program, would need to be adjusted to fit junior program time/rules)?

Sylvia

TBD
Sarah Jung is the 2019 U.S. junior pewter medalist (Emilia Murdock is the bronze medalist)... hopefully she will correct her IG profile page. :) IIRC, Sarah went for 3A in early season competitions last year.
Does anyone know if Alysa is planning to compete during any of the summer competitions ahead of the start of the JGP season? I presume that since these would be "domestic" events, she would by necessity be entered in senior level events (and thus a free program, would need to be adjusted to fit junior program time/rules)?
It's common for senior level skaters anticipating JGP assignments to have both senior and junior programs choreographed and to compete one or both versions in a summer club competition or two. I haven't yet heard where Alysa plans to debut her programs... maybe Broadmoor Open the last week in June?

Posted on May 6:
Pooja Kalyan traveled to Switzerland last month (including Champéry but she didn't reference or show anything skating-related that I saw).
@okokok777 posted in the Programs/Choreographers thread yesterday that Pooja Kalyan's SP is "Meditation" from Thais by Jules Massenet, choreographed by Stephane Lambiel, so her trip to Switzerland was skating-related after all. :) Her FS is to the Piano Trio by Maurice Ravel, choreographed by Tom Dickson... looking forward to seeing her programs in competition!

Sylvia

TBD
Speaking of Murdock, in late April "Milly" was featured on this person's "Athlete of the Day" post on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwz1UDHgli0/
What she's currently working on:
"I am in off season right now I am working on 3/3 combination and 3Axel. I plan to move up to senior ladies!" Says Milly.
On her challenges:
"In 2017, I fractured my lower back. It took about 6 months to recover fully from the injury. I came in 5th at sectionals; not qualifying for nationals but more determined. This past season I moved up to Junior Ladies. I won regionals and sectionals and placed 3rd at nationals. I also made it on team USA and got to represent the USA at Golden Bear in Zagreb Croatia!"
ETA: Murdock won the silver medal in both of her junior internationals this past season (Golden Bear and Bavarian Open) and is on track to make her JGP debut next.

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

Sarah Jung is the 2019 U.S. junior pewter medalist (Emilia Murdock is the bronze medalist)... hopefully she will correct her IG profile page. :) IIRC, Sarah went for 3A in early season competitions last year.

It's common for senior level skaters anticipating JGP assignments to have both senior and junior programs choreographed and to compete one or both versions in a summer club competition or two. I haven't yet heard where Alysa plans to debut her programs... maybe Broadmoor Open the last week in June?

Posted on May 6:

@okokok777 posted in the Programs/Choreographers thread yesterday that Pooja Kalyan's SP is "Meditation" from Thais by Jules Massenet, choreographed by Stephane Lambiel, so her trip to Switzerland was skating-related after all. :) Her FS is to the Piano Trio by Maurice Ravel, choreographed by Tom Dickson... looking forward to seeing her programs in competition!

Wow - the Ravel trio. Such beautiful music. Has anyone ever skated to this before?

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
I prefer the refined stylings of Saint-Seans or Rachmaninoff :D

That's my line,dear.

I've never heard work bitch so I looked it up on YouTube.
:eek:

My reaction: repetitive, vulgar, uninteresting drivel. Unfortunately,I have a feeling Rippon is corrupting poor Mariah. Why would she want to skate to this?

-BB

Last edited:

VenusH.

I think Work B*** is a bad choice because that song does not have a clear melody, not much change in tempo, it's just blaring, blaring, blaring throughout the whole track. How can jumps, spins and steps be judged as being on the music... it will be hard to judge.

Britney has songs that would be more skatable. Everytime is a lovely song and melody that enables skater to glide to it.

Plus, I really dislike a bragging songs. I just find them trashy. I hate 7 rings for the same reason.

If Mariah wanted more bad-ass Britney song... there is Till the World Ends (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzU9OrZlKb8) (imho songs about dancing make good skating songs :)

Overprotected would be a better choice too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZYSiWHW8V0

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
While it is a tad bit sleepy, I'd like to see Mariah skate to idon'twanttobeyouanymore by Billie Eilish. It has a quality to it that I'd like to see her try - sultry yet vulnerable.

Sylvia

TBD
Thank you @Eeyora1... you saved me the time of looking for a link. :) Re. Izzo: "The Brighton local recently graduated from Boston Latin School and plans to take a gap year before attending Harvard University."

Transcript excerpt: AFTER I TAKE A GAP YEAR I WILL BE ATTENDING HARVARD IN CAMBRIDGE. I AM LEANING TOWARDS PREMED, BUT I AM NOT EXACTLY SURE WHERE I WOULD GO. NOT SURE IF I WANT TO GO INTO SPORTS MEDICINE OR NEUROBIOLOGY.

Her story starts after the 2 min. 30 second mark of the video.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I don't want to create a new thread for this... but for those interested Tonya Harding is one of the first guests on the RuPaul show..... staring Monday June 10 in only 8 markets.

The footage is cringe-worthy (and I do love her.)

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information