U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Oh, I see now, thanks.

I imagine her age has something to do with it...

Is Katarina DelCamp 15 or 16? How old is Ian? I see Katarina used to be partnered with Maxwell Gart. That was a cool reveal about her and Ian partnering. And apparently, they are going to prom together? It looks as if they were already close friends off-the-ice. Katarina certainly has an interesting personality, as evidenced by her Instagram. She practices yoga, ballet, and she used to train for rhythmic gymnastics. She's also apparently very poetic-minded:

If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love you very much -- Mary Oliver
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwVoUVPH9Ol/ Your wings already exist, all you have to do is fly
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu7U14XFIex/ If you can't handle my winter, you don't deserve my spring
The best and most beautiful things in life cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart

platniumangel

^^ Oh, I see now, thanks.

Is Katarina DelCamp 15 or 16? How old is Ian? I see Katarina used to be partnered with Maxwell Gart. That was a cool reveal about her and Ian partnering. And apparently, they are going to prom together? It looks as if they were already close friends off-the-ice. Katarina certainly has an interesting personality, as evidenced by her Instagram. She practices yoga, ballet, and she used to train for rhythmic gymnastics. She's also apparently very poetic-minded:

If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love you very much -- Mary Oliver
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwVoUVPH9Ol/ Your wings already exist, all you have to do is fly
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu7U14XFIex/ If you can't handle my winter, you don't deserve my spring
The best and most beautiful things in life cannot be seen or touched, they must be felt with the heart

Per ISU bios, DelCamp is 14 about to be 15. Somerville is 18 going on 19.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00103224.htm

Lara111

Since Ian Somerville won't turn 19 until Sept. 1, he has 3 more seasons of ISU Junior eligibility left as an ice dancer (through the 2021-22 season).

Yes.
I am wondering if they would be allowed to stay Junior for the rest of the quad if successful but If not successful they may just split.

platniumangel

I heard that Greg Z has left the coaching group in Wheaton? Can anyone confirm? I haven’t seen anything official. If so, that was quick! Only one year. It’s very disappointing because I felt his work was evident and beneficial to the Wheaton team’s last season. 😞

aftershocks

Banned Member
Per ISU bios, DelCamp is 14 about to be 15. Somerville is 18 going on 19.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00103224.htm

Ah, thanks. So they can remain juniors for at least the next two years at least? Oh, scratch that. I see this question was already answered by @Sylvia.

I am wondering if they would be allowed to stay Junior for the rest of the quad if successful but If not successful they may just split.

Let's wish them luck, and not get ahead of ourselves with downside speculation. :saint:

Sylvia

TBD
Made official today ... MAIA AND ALEX SHIBUTANI TO TAKE OFF 2019-20 SEASON (5/24/19): https://www.usfsa.org/story?id=92436&type=media
The Shibutanis, who won the bronze medal in the team event and the individual event at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, have been keeping busy with shows and media projects that began after the Olympics.

“We’ve continued to skate a lot, and we feel like we’ve benefited from some time away to create in different environments and focus on experiences that can help us grow,” Alex said.

“We’re healthier and stronger than we were after the Olympics and we’re continuing to push ourselves,” Maia said.

jiejie

IMO, they are making a mistake doing this, unless they ultimately decide to retire

Handwriting is on the wall. I'm 99% sure we won't see them in competition anymore. I think they are content with their accomplishments in the competitive realm and are moving on. They still have a lot to offer skating world in other dimensions though. For a start, they could offer Master Classes in Twizzling.

VGThuy

Made official today ... MAIA AND ALEX SHIBUTANI TO TAKE OFF 2019-20 SEASON (5/24/19): https://www.usfsa.org/story?id=92436&type=media

Where's the "dislike" button? I mean yeah I like that they're living their lives and have more time to enjoy it and all, but the stan in me wants to repeat the surprising words of Constance Wu upon hearing the news that her show got renewed, "DISLIKE". The stan part of me also wishes they would just announce a retirement if they really have no intention of competing instead of playing this game. It's really annoying. Ok now my irrational rant is out of the way

sharsk8s

The season before the Olympics is when V/M came back. If the Shibs announce another season off in 2020-21, I'd be :huh:, but not for the 2019-20 season.
But those are two very different situations. V/M was always Canada's definite number one team and when they took their break they were seen as the top team in the world by many. The Shibs really had to fight for that bronze and the have a lot of competition within the US. I don't know how successful a V/M style comeback would be with them. Also when V/M came back in 2016 the field was relatively empty even at the top. Very very different from what is currently happening with 8 teams fighting for medals.

Dobre

If the Shibs wanted to be competing right now, they'd be competing. I always think it is more likely that once athletes skip a season, they won't come back. That way I can be pleasantly surprised when they do and not broken-hearted when they don't. The dancers all had a new comeback precedent set at this past Olympiad. It will be interesting to see if any teams do follow it. But for now, I'll just enjoy the competition ahead of us; and I'm glad that the Shibs seem to be enjoying their current transition into the professional world/the world beyond skating. They've reached a lot of tremendous goals. If they decide those are enough, I'll understand.

Though, personally, of course I would love to see they come back. I love to see them skate.

But those are two very different situations.

All situations are very different.

V/M was always Canada's definite number one team.

They weren't the definite number one team during the first half of 2015-16. That is hindsight. Weaver & Poje won the GPF that year and went into 4CCs as the favorites. There were fans of V&M who felt strongly they would be number one when they returned, but there were many figure skating fans who could easily envision V&M having to fight for a podium spot. As it was, V&M lost the FD at Skate Canada in 2015-16 to Chock & Bates. No one actually knew how that comeback would go until it played out. (It took until NHK and an event outside of Canada for that to seriously start to come into focus).

Also when V/M came back in 2016 the field was relatively empty even at the top. Very very different from what is currently happening with 8 teams fighting for medals.

Like Sochi, scores at the 2016 Worlds were sky high. P&C outscored V&M's total from the 2014 Olympics. The Shibs finished closer to Papadakis & Cizeron at the 2016 Worlds than this year's world silver medalists did. I would say that 2015 & 16 were the beginning of the current era of ice dance in that movement among the top ten became much more the norm than it had been in the past. The current top 8 teams were all at Worlds in 2016. 1st-11th. We have a new scoring system, and I'm sure we've yet to fully see how that will impact the evolution of the sport; but I'm not sure how that is reflected in your statement above.

Last edited:

sharsk8s

If the Shibs wanted to be competing right now, they'd be competing. I always think it is more likely that once athletes skip a season, they won't come back. That way I can be pleasantly surprised when they do and not broken-hearted when they don't. The dancers all had a new comeback precedent set at this past Olympiad. It will be interesting to see if any teams do follow it. But for now, I'll just enjoy the competition ahead of us; and I'm glad that the Shibs seem to be enjoying their current transition into the professional world/the world beyond skating. They've reached a lot of tremendous goals. If they decide those are enough, I'll understand.

Though, personally, of course I would love to see they come back. I love to see them skate.

All situations are very different.

They weren't the definite number one team during the first half of 2015-16. That is hindsight. Weaver & Poje won the GPF that year and went into 4CCs as the favorites. There were fans of V&M who felt strongly they would be number one when they returned, but there were many figure skating fans who could easily envision V&M having to fight for a podium spot. As it was, V&M lost the FD at Skate Canada in 2015-16 to Chock & Bates. No one actually knew how that comeback would go until it played out. (It took until NHK and an event outside of Canada for that to seriously start to come into focus).

Like Sochi, scores at the 2016 Worlds were sky high. P&C outscored V&M's total from the 2014 Olympics. The Shibs finished closer to Papadakis & Cizeron at the 2016 Worlds than this year's world silver medalists did. I would say that 2015 & 16 were the beginning of the current era of ice dance in that movement among the top ten became much more the norm than it had been in the past. The current top 8 teams were all at Worlds in 2016. 1st-11th. We have a new scoring system, and I'm sure we've yet to fully see how that will impact the evolution of the sport; but I'm not sure how that is reflected in your statement above.
What I meant is that it was much more spread out and with fewer teams at the top. It was likely when V/M came back that they would at least be in medal contention if not aiming for the top of the podium. Right now it is much more crowded at the top. I would love to see the Shibs come back but if they did it is far from certain that they would even be in a medal position. I don't think waiting another year will help them if their goal is to medal again at the next olympics.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Where's the "dislike" button? I mean yeah I like that they're living their lives and have more time to enjoy it and all, but the stan in me wants to repeat the surprising words of Constance Wu upon hearing the news that her show got renewed, "DISLIKE". The stan part of me also wishes they would just announce a retirement if they really have no intention of competing instead of playing this game. It's really annoying. Ok now my irrational rant is out of the way

I know you love the Shibs. I know it kinda hurts not seeing them among the competitive mix. But I wouldn't call their announcement a game. It's not a cut-and-dried decision for accomplished skaters. It's no different than what many skaters go through/ have gone through who are young high-achievers taking a break to see what other advantages life beyond competitive ice might hold.

Sadly, nothing is a given these days for so many young extremely gifted skating athletes who've spent their lifetime on competitive ice, and who should have way more professional on-ice opportunities available to them. Next quad decisions might then be easier for them, and the torturous limbo for fans of said skaters might not have to exist.

ETA:
Personally, I'd prefer to rationally and irrationally rant, not against skaters' reactions to scarce opportunities, but against the gnarly politics and the limitations of the current competitive structure in fs! :angryfire

It's tough for every talented skater to have sufficient opportunities to fully develop, let alone to break through to the top, sustain a healthy career, and have something satisfying and lucrative to look forward to when eligible competitive goals have been scaled against many odds!

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

I don't really see it as a game either, but rather I see it as the Shibs (or any other skater or team such as D/W) not wanting to definitely close the door on competing entirely. If there was a great pro circuit in the USA I believe more skaters would announce their retirement officially, but as it is the professional circuit in the US of A is dormant and hardly viable.

So for the general public and fans to understand that they are still skating in some capacity (professionally) and not disappearing the Shibs are leaving that possibility ever so slightly open. (I also think that if American ice dancing was in dire condition [which it definitely is not] that might be another small incentive for Maia and Alex to compete.)

That's my take anyway. Yeah I'm disappointed, but I half expected it.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
He is on coach Slava Uchitel's list for Partnered Dance at the Chesapeake Open. The only other junior dancer on that coach's list is Sofiya Litvinova. (New partner?)

ETA:
And possibly this one? http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102071.htm

I can confirm that Cameron is skating with Sofia. Other movements at PSCHS:

• Cordelia Pride and Benjamin Lawless are competing Junior this season.
  • Mila Guberman and Joshua Soto have teamed up and will compete Intermediate.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I've compiled a list of Senior/Junior/Novice/Intermediate teams registered for next month's Chesapeake Open - link to the new club competition thread I've started in the Kiss & Cry section (currently open to all): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...cl-dance-camp-june-19-22-in-laurel-md.105662/

Leah Neset (2019 U.S. Intermediate silver medalist with Dimitry Tsarevski) recently listed herself on IPS.

ETA that Carreira/Ponomarenko are with Ben Agosto (working on the Finnstep?) in Colorado Springs according to their recent IG stories.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Really, we have lost something without the Ice Network archives:

Right, because we ain't getting any archives on NBC Gold from season-to-season. And U.S. Figure Skating fan zone is a chore to navigate. Plus they ain't really offering full archival access to past gems, as far as I can see. Seemingly, they are going to be requesting additional money for archived past events and programs?

platniumangel

I am surprised that no Wheaton teams are competing at Chesapeake. Is this a first? Most teams have partner swapped ... so maybe that’s why.

Also, no Avonley Nguyen & Vadim Kolesnik.

I’m glad to see so many junior teams even without Wheaton there!

Debbie S

I am surprised that no Wheaton teams are competing at Chesapeake. Is this a first? Most teams have partner swapped ... so maybe that’s why.
I assume you are just referring to the Junior teams? There are plenty of Wheaton teams registered in the lower levels. I will miss seeing N/K compete (2 years ago at Chesapeake was the first time I saw them compete, and immediately became a fan) but the Browns will be there. :)

platniumangel

I assume you are just referring to the Junior teams? There are plenty of Wheaton teams registered in the lower levels. I will miss seeing N/K compete (2 years ago at Chesapeake was the first time I saw them compete, and immediately became a fan) but the Browns will be there. :)

Yes I meant Jr/Sr.

Dobre

Yes I meant Jr/Sr.

I'm surprised too. And worried because Tkachenko & Kiliakov and Lin & Sletten make up two thirds of last year's novice podium, and as we have apparently lost two thirds of the junior podium, I would really like to know the young teams are coming up. (If they elect to stay in novices, that's fine; but I'd really like to see them on a list).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information