U.S. Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

jiejie

I disagree with this sentiment. Ice Dance teams no longer have to "wait their turn" or wait until a more experienced teams retires to make their move (onto the podium).

Chock/Bates jumped right onto the podium when they paired up. When the Shibutani's turned senior, they debuted on the podium. They did not have to wait their turn.

Belbin/Agosto spent one season behind Lang/Tchernyshev (the more senior team), then passed them and in their turn Belbin/Agosto were passed by Davis/White (at that time a more junior team).

There has been a great deal of movement on and off the podium in the last twenty years. I don't think any of the junior teams coming up need despair. If they work hard enough, they will get on the podium. Nothing can stop talent.

What these young teams need to do (to ensure their future success) is stick together, as we have seen a dozen promising teams (over the last twenty years) split up (for various reasons) just as they were about to make their mark as senior skaters.

You've interpreted my post incorrectly. Nowhere did I mention "waiting one's turn" nor was that my intent to imply. Comparing the current situation to the past isn't necessarily relevant. The fact NOW is that Hubbell/Donohue and Chock/Bates are such strong dance teams (including World medals), that it will be very difficult for the USA teams behind them--including the current senior #3-5, to dislodge them . Not impossible, but very very difficult to do within the next 2-3 years and without help from H/D or C/B in the form of making serious mistakes in competition. IMO, teams H/B, M/C, and C/P are capable of switching positions 3-5 between them depending on competition execution, but I'm hard-pressed to think of ANY other US senior or junior teams (or new partner combinations) leapfrogging these three in the same time frame. This means anybody else is fighting for at best 6th place between now and 2022.

Like it or not, there is a hierarchy here and it has as much to do with actual skating ability as it does with theoretical seniority. And though junior and new senior teams may improve greatly, those on the ladder above them are nearly all improving as well. The view is different when you're on that ladder and there are 3-4 teams above you to get to the top rung, vs 7-8 teams above you--the latter is a LOT more discouraging when the clock is ticking.

I don't agree with your statement that I bolded. Hard work is a necessary component, but it doesn't guarantee that a team will get on a podium or win ISU championship medals. Plenty of circumstances can stop talent dead in its tracks.

Dobre

Pogrebinsky & Benoit were in 7th place at Nationals only a year and 1/2 ago; and the season before that they defeated Hawayek & Baker to win the Pewter medal. The year before that they defeated Carreira & Ponomarenko to qualify for the Junior World team. Just because we don't usually see a field deep enough to have 7 teams with a shot at the podium does not mean that a country can't field a National Championship with that level of depth. The Greens split placements with Carreira & Ponomarenko at Junior Worlds in 2018. And Lewis & Bye split placements with the Greens. Just because there are ___ number of teams at the top or ahead of you now does not mean there will be the same number ahead of you three years down the road or in every given competition. It's one step at a time. Who would have predicted back in 2015 that Zagorski & Guerreiro would make it to the Olympic Games over Bobrova & Soloviev, Ilinykh & Zhiganshin, Sinitsina & Katsalapov, Monko & Khaliavin, Stepanova & Bukin, and Yanovskaya & Mozgov? But Z&G went nonetheless.

Is ice dance a long term proposition? Oh, yes. Personally, I prefer it. I'd rather see those teams working with the knowledge that, hey, they might make it now; but if not they can follow in Hubbell & Donohue's footsteps and maybe challenge for the Olympic podium four years down the road. And if they love it enough, they can keep competing four or even eight years into the future. It's a different mindset than what we often see in the ladies' event but there are pluses to that difference.

Where were the Parsons, McNamara & Carpenter, and Carreira & Ponomarenko all at in 2015? They were looking at working hard, making their argument step by step, and facing the likelihood of a minimum of another Olympiad before having a good shot at an Olympic team. In the case of Carreira, who does not have citizenship, looking at possibly two Olympiads even if she & her partner do make the podium. Same as Belbin & Agosto faced when they came up. And as Nguyen & Kolesnik do looking ahead as well.

Last edited:

RoseRed

Pogrebinsky & Benoit were in 7th place at Nationals only a year and 1/2 ago; and the season before that they defeated Hawayek & Baker to win the Pewter medal. The year before that they defeated Carreira & Ponomarenko to qualify for the Junior World team. Just because we don't usually see a field deep enough to have 7 teams with a shot at the podium does not mean that a country can't field a National Championship with that level of depth. The Greens split placements with Carreira & Ponomarenko at Junior Worlds in 2018. And Lewis & Bye split placements with the Greens. Just because there are ___ number of teams at the top or ahead of you now does not mean there will be the same number ahead of you three years down the road or in every given competition. It's one step at a time. Who would have predicted back in 2015 that Zagorski & Guerreiro would make it to the Olympic Games over Bobrova & Soloviev, Ilinykh & Zhiganshin, Sinitsina & Katsalapov, Monko & Khaliavin, Stepanova & Bukin, and Yanovskaya & Mozgov? But Z&G went nonetheless.

Is ice dance a long term proposition? Oh, yes. Personally, I prefer it. I'd rather see those teams working with the knowledge that, hey, they might make it now; but if not they can follow in Hubbell & Donohue's footsteps and maybe challenge for the Olympic podium four years down the road. And if they love it enough, they can keep competing four or even eight years into the future. It's a different mindset than what we often see in the Ladies' event but there are pluses to that difference.

Where were the Parsons, McNamara & Carpenter, and Carreira & Ponomarenko all at in 2015? They were looking at working hard, making their argument step by step, and facing the likelihood of a minimum of another Olympiad before having a good shot at an Olympic team. In the case of Carreira, who does not have citizenship, looking at possibly two Olympiads even if she & her partner do make the podium. Same as Belbin & Agosto faced when they came up. And as Nguyen & Kolesnik do looking ahead as well.
They didn't make it to the Olympics over Bobrova/Soloviev or Stepanova/Bukin though. The other teams yes, but B/S were 1st at Rus Nats and S/B were 2nd. Z/G only made it because Bukin wasn't invited.

layman

Hawayek and Baker waited a whole quad to get on the Worlds team, and the mid-tier American teams right now are looking at a similar wait.

See this list of US National Medalists:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Figure_Skating_Championships

Hawayek/Baker paired up in 2012. The very next year (2013) they won the Silver Medal at Nationals on the Junior level. Then in 2014 they won the Gold Medal at Nationals on the Junior level. In 2015 (the year of their Senior Debut) they won the Pewter on the Senior level. They repeated that in 2018. Then this year they grabbed the Bronze at the Senior Nationals.

Internationally, they grabbed Gold at the 2014 Junior World Championships (just two years after pairing), Bronze as Seniors at the 2014 NHK Trophy, and have since won Gold at the 2018 Four Continents and the 2018 NHK Trophy.

They have not been standing still in the quad you referred to, but are instead having a successful and meteoric rise.

Also when I look at the list of winners of the US Junior National Title, I see that the teams that have had the most success on the Senior level, like Davis/White, the Shibutanis, and Hawayek/Baker, were the teams who stuck together, but for every one team that stuck together, there were five that split apart.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

They have not been standing still in the quad you referred to, but are instead having a successful and meteoric rise.
Uh, no, what I said — that it took them a whole quad to make the World team — is quite accurate.

As you yourself note, they actually dropped in the rankings in the middle two seasons of last quad, from fourth to fifth, then were fourth again, at which point the Shibutanis bowed out and they got to go to Worlds.

All of which speaks, again, to the continued dominance of the 2006-2010 wave of skaters, who aren’t being overtaken, they’re relinquishing — and if Maia and Alex had decided to come back this year, they’d be looking at demotion back to fourth.

I also think there is opportunity for one or even two (possibly more depending on how the next three seasons go) of the younger teams to break through into the top three by 2022. I don't think any of the current top three are in a Davis/White situation where they will be undeniably cemented in their spot. A lot of things can happen in three years.
I think one of the newish teams could definitely overtake Hawayek/Baker (who are in similar circumstances as Zahorski/Guerrero in Russia, though Z/G had a rough season) by the Olympics, but I don’t see Hubbell/Donohue or Chock/Bates falling back.

With those teams’ skill level and reputation, I think they could only be displaced by a team that was getting the 4CC/Worlds berths necessary to boost their own standing.

Unless somebody gets injured, etc., but that’s always a wild card.

Last edited:

layman

Ice is slippery. Hubbell/Donahue (heavily favored to win) missed a lift and a few levels at the 2019 Four Continents and ended up off the podium. Meanwhile, Chock/Bates delivered and cinched a win. Anything can happen at any time in Ice Dance. The teams just need to be poised and ready to seize their opportunity when it comes. It will come.

Spiralgraph

Uh, no, what I said — that it took them a whole quad to make the World team — is quite accurate.

As you yourself note, they actually dropped in the rankings in the middle two seasons of last quad, from fourth to fifth, then were fourth again, at which point the Shibutanis bowed out and they got to go to Worlds.

All of which speaks, again, to the continued dominance of the 2006-2010 wave of skaters, who aren’t being overtaken, they’re relinquishing — and if Maia and Alex had decided to come back this year, they’d be looking at demotion back to fourth.

I think one of the newish teams could definitely overtake Hawayek/Baker (who are in similar circumstances as Zahorski/Guerrero in Russia, though Z/G had a rough season) by the Olympics, but I don’t see Hubbell/Donohue or Chock/Bates falling back.

With those teams’ skill level and reputation, I think they could only be displaced by a team that was getting the 4CC/Worlds berths necessary to boost their own standing.

Unless somebody gets injured, etc., but that’s always a wild card.

I mostly agree with your assessment. Dobre noted above that Pogrebinsky & Benoit had one year defeated H/B for fourth place at Nationals. Yes they did, but that was because Kaitlin and Jean-Luc had a major error (or two) and lost a lot of points. If both teams had skated well, H/B would have been fourth again.
But I'll emphasize that particular wild card: major errors. They are more common now that dance elements are required and more difficult than years before. That's why the Shibs lost Nationals in 2018. If a team like H/D, C/B etc makes a mistake, it does (and did in 2017 and 2018) hurt them in the standings. The USA doesn't have just one top team anymore, the dance teams are close enough in ability that a big error can't be overlooked and that's where another team with less "reputation" can slide in.

Assuming the top three teams at Nationals all skate well, the likelihood that a younger team displaces them on the podium at Nationals is very iffy. A lot depends on what happens on grand Prix series who defeats whom. I also agree that H/B are vulnerable because they aren't World medalists.
All that being said, nothing is set in stone any longer. There is movement in ice dance, teams just have to do their best to move upwards, not down.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Who would have predicted back in 2015 that Zagorski & Guerreiro would make it to the Olympic Games over Bobrova & Soloviev, Ilinykh & Zhiganshin, Sinitsina & Katsalapov, Monko & Khaliavin, Stepanova & Bukin, and Yanovskaya & Mozgov? But Z&G went nonetheless
Aside from the fact that their appearance over S/B was because of a very unusual circumstance specific to their country, teams can look at it as "There's always the long shot" and continue to spend 10's of thousands of their own money with a fraction of support from the Fed, or decide it's too expensive in money and effort to rely upon circumstance even more than they do with politiks, which judges and tech panel they draw, GP hosts padding the field with skaters low in the Top 75, the decisions of their Fed, etc.

Colonel Green

Ice is slippery. Hubbell/Donahue (heavily favored to win) missed a lift and a few levels at the 2019 Four Continents and ended up off the podium. Meanwhile, Chock/Bates delivered and cinched a win. Anything can happen at any time in Ice Dance. The teams just need to be poised and ready to seize their opportunity when it comes. It will come.
2019 4CC kind of demonstrates the opposite, for the purposes of this discussion — Hubbell/Donohue essentially lost a whole element and had a few other minor issues, only ended up barely off the podium, and they were only behind the three other “superpower” teams present. They didn’t even drop behind, say, Hawayek/Baker and Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen.

Big mistakes will cost you, but only against other teams with similar rep. A big mistake from H/D at 2020 Nationals would probably hand C/B the gold, but they’d be very unlikely to go lower than silver. That doesn’t really do anything for a fourth/fifth-place team.

Beyond which, the recent revisions in dance judging have tended toward minimizing the impact of errors.

VGThuy

You are right about the revisions in ice dance judging minimizing the impact of errors. That said, I do think H/D and C/B are not above making major errors and every time they do so, they run the risk of a team gaining ground no matter how minimal the consequences of making such errors are becoming. However, in order for a team to do that, they need to be a consistent presence and probably making World teams consistently to have opportunities to over take them. I was just thinking that if H/D and C/B lose some international standing to both Russian teams, P/C, and maybe other teams, then the American judges (and maybe callers) won't be so married to the idea of having them on Worlds teams leading up to the Olympics if something major happens at Nationals and a major error occurs from either one or both teams. Despite the minimizing of the impact of errors, it still will have some impact.

I know not every team is poised for this, but I always think of the Shibs' rise in 2015-2016. Granted, they never missed a World's Team since their Senior Debut and the retirement of Davis/White helped them gain some ground, so your point still stands. However, don't forget that the Shibs were losing handedly to Chock/Bates for two seasons straight, C/B were reigning World silver medalists (nearly WON Worlds after their huge SD advantage), and would literally fall and still beat the Shibs big time. When the 2015-2016 GPF happened and C/B again made major visible errors while beating the Shibs to win a silver at the GPF, people were convinced that C/B nearly being World Champions meant that there was no way the Shibs would have been "allowed" to win Nationals that season and overtake C/B to be medal contenders at Worlds because too much was at risk. Conventional wisdom showed us that C/B were enjoying being on top of the hierarchy, and we know what that means in ice dance. But there was always that nagging feeling that the Shibs were poised to leap frog despite the odds being stacked against them, and like 4 years of stagnation and losing ground internationally.

I also think what the three American teams battling it out from 2015-2016 to the Olympics where not even the Shibs enjoyed a "quiet reign" after they usurped the "top" American spot shows that the USFS doesn't care too much about being married to favorites and will allow teams to overtake another if they are shown to be competitive internationally AND there's something about that team THAT season that wins them over. I mean the USFS really left the Shibs, C/B, and H/D on their own whereas I could see another federation adhering to a strict hierarchy to make politicking easier. In a way, it did work out well for the USFS. They had at least two medal contenders by Pyeongchang ("shockingly" had two World medalists in 2016, were three of the top five after the 2017 Worlds SD, all three making the GPF all four seasons last Olympic quad, etc.), and it raised the level of their skating even if I think it really made for a stressful, tense situation for all three teams where they had to be "on" at all times.

Jammers

If the Green/Parsons thing is real, I’d say the coaching team actively broke that team up to put Caroline with Michael.
Why would she pair up with Michael Parsons? Besides the fact that she will probably outgrow him she probably can't even compete this season since she's to young to skate as a Senior internationally and he's to old for Juniors. Why blow up a team that had been sidelined almost all season with injuries just because they finished 7th st Junior Worlds? They didn't even compete on the JGP last season which would have been their breakout season. With so many of the Junior teams from last season aged out split or moving on the Greens would have a great chance at moving up next season if healthy so why not stick it out instead of getting a new partner who's short and will soon be perhaps the shorter of the two if Caroline keeps growing.

Dobre

Aside from the fact that their appearance over S/B was because of a very unusual circumstance specific to their country.

Hmm.
-And Ilinykh & Katsalapov splitting up after winning an Olympic bronze medal was a very unusual circumstance.
-And Sinitsina & Katsalapov plausibly being asked to leave Canton and spending a year being ice-dance nomads was a very unusual circumstance.
-And Monko getting a career-ending injury right after defeating a former National Champion team in the SD was a very unusual circumstance.
-And Khaliavin teaming up with someone from Spain instead of a Russian athlete was a very unusual circumstance.
-And Sinitsina & Katsalapov blowing both their SD and the lift in their FD at Russian Nationals was a . . . well, it turned out not to be that unusual a circumstance; but dropping out of the competition midway through their FD at least was an unusual circumstance.
-And Ilinykh & Zhiganshin throwing in the towel only two seasons after winning a Russian National title and a year before the Olympics was a very unusual circumstance.
-And Yanovskaya & Mozgov splitting up after only one senior season despite their having gone undefeated their final season in juniors was . . . actually probably not that unusual a circumstance and can unfortunately happen with most anyone. (Though I don't--in this moment--have the data to back up my hypothesis that it's not that unusual).
-And Bobrova & Soloviev coming back from a year-long injury and after being defeated by a young team at the Olympics; and her being banned from Worlds for a drug and then being reinstated because the ban was based on bad science were all very unusual circumstances.

Life. While each scenario is a very unusual circumstance, I would say that unusual circumstances in general are not that unusual.

As for the status of U.S. Dance since the 2018 Nationals. We are already down two teams that were in the mix: Pogrebinsky & Benoit and the Parsons. Plus Carreira's citizenship coming through by 2022 is more questionable than it appeared in 2018. And the Shibs are sitting out a second season. And we still have 3 seasons to go. Which works both ways as it often means new teams in the mix as well as losing teams to circumstance. (Me crossing my fingers & hoping very, very hard that the teams I love are at Nationals in 2022 and beyond).

Last edited:

Lara111

Why would she pair up with Michael Parsons? Besides the fact that she will probably outgrow him she probably can't even compete this season since she's to young to skate as a Senior internationally and he's to old for Juniors. Why blow up a team that had been sidelined almost all season with injuries just because they finished 7th st Junior Worlds? They didn't even compete on the JGP last season which would have been their breakout season. With so many of the Junior teams from last season aged out split or moving on the Greens would have a great chance at moving up next season if healthy so why not stick it out instead of getting a new partner who's short and will soon be perhaps the shorter of the two if Caroline keeps growing.
Just seems that it’s very convenient that two strong contenders from Junior and Senior field disappeared suddenly

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
None of the circumstances you listed were because WADA was after Russia for doping. And that is why Z/G were able to move up one spot to get to the Olympics.

A US team can invest over $100K and closer to $200K to work their way up the ranks depending on other people to create the right circumstances for them, or they can look at the odds and decide that it's not worth the investment. The latter is what the three or so teams who had had a decent shot at the third spot in Canada did after V/M announced their return, and they only needed one team to falter to have a shot, not a bunch of next-ranked skaters with senior experience ahead of them and a few junior teams trying to make their mark, too.

RoseRed

No, she isn't.

Josh78

Besides the fact that she will probably outgrow him she probably can't even compete this season since she's to young to skate as a Senior internationally and he's to old for Juniors.

Caroline turned 15 in October 2018, so by ISU rules, she's good to compete in senior level competitions going forward...

Dobre

Accepting of course that we're kind of inherently guessing at things from the outside, it seems like Rachel's retirement was what precipitated this, and everybody started thinking about a new partner for Michael. I don't have any reason to think that the Greens' split was acrimonious or whatever; probably if Caroline is skating with Michael now, it's because everybody felt this was a big opportunity for her.

Or because Gordon wanted to do something else? (He's 17. Which is how old many people are when they head off to college).

Or because not everyone wants to spend the next 7 years spending all day with their brother or sister? (I mean, I've no reason to think this about the Greens; but not every teenager does).

I'm sure we could go on with these uneducated theories forever. Just trying to point out that there are plenty of reasons a new partnership might have formed that might not have started only with Rachel's getting out or with the coaches. One of the questions I have about your theory--if Caroline & Michael wind up skating together--is twofold:

1. Gordon is really good. (When it comes to mistakes, I would say he makes fewer or possibly the same number as Caroline; and he gets the same high levels as she does. He's taller than Michael and has strong skating skills. Probably he isn't as physically strong as Michael at this stage. Guys often get their strength later. But Gordon is certainly strong enough to be a successful junior ice dancer).

2. Guys of his age and ability can find a new partner. Yet we haven't heard any rumors or even speculation about him partnering up with someone else. Maybe this is because we haven't heard any real news here whatsoever except that the Greens aren't on the ISP. But if the coaches instigated the split, then one would think they would put Gordon with someone else, no? But no rumors about him continuing at all. Thus far. (And, of course, it's entirely possible that he is looking for and/or has a new partner and we simply haven't heard . . . as we really know nothing whatsoever).

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Just because a brother and sister start skating together doesn’t mean they’ll always stay together. Some of you may be old enough to remember that Madison Hubble started with a different partner, her brother. I’m pretty sure the split was amicable and I don’t think there was a lot of family drama. I think sometimes we spend too much time on here making up drama just to entertain ourselves

Lara111

Or because Gordon wanted to do something else? (He's 17. Which is how old many people are when they head off to college).

Or because not everyone wants to spend the next 7 years spending all day with their brother or sister? (I mean, I've no reason to think this about the Greens; but not every teenager does).

I'm sure we could go on with these uneducated theories forever. Just trying to point out that there are plenty of reasons a new partnership might have formed that might not have started only with Rachel's getting out or with the coaches. One of the questions I have about your theory--if Caroline & Michael wind up skating together--is twofold:

1. Gordon is really good. (When it comes to mistakes, I would say he makes fewer or possibly the same number as Caroline; and he gets the same high levels as she does. He's taller than Michael and has strong skating skills. Probably he isn't as physically strong as Michael at this stage. Guys often get their strength later. But Gordon is certainly strong enough to be a successful junior ice dancer).

2. Guys of his age and ability can find a new partner. Yet we haven't heard any rumors or even speculation about him partnering up with someone else. Maybe this is because we haven't heard any real news here whatsoever except that the Greens aren't on the ISP. But if the coaches instigated the split, then one would think they would put Gordon with someone else, no? But no rumors about him continuing at all. Thus far. (And, of course, it's entirely possible that he is looking for and/or has a new partner and we simply haven't heard . . . as we really know nothing whatsoever).
#2 it does not necessarily mean that coaches would want to find a partner for Gordon even if they instigated the split. Splits, even when they are relatively amicable a tough thing for the partners. It could demotivate an athlete to continue skating especially at this age.

platniumangel

#2 it does not necessarily mean that coaches would want to find a partner for Gordon even if they instigated the split. Splits, even when they are relatively amicable a tough thing for the partners. It could demotivate an athlete to continue skating especially at this age.
It seems like she was instantly paired with Parson. Seems like a big decision to give up all those years of junior eligibility and to jump right in to senior. Just my two cents anyway!

Dobre

Totally Uneducated Theory #2947:

Gordon could skate with Tkachenko, and Kiliakov could skate with Lin. That would help explain the disappearing act with the novices. Gosh what an incredible amount of work all those new teams would be.

I think sometimes we spend too much time on here making up drama just to entertain ourselves

Undoubtedly. Of course, they could just tell us who is skating with who, and then my brain would stop trying to solve The-Great-Wheaton-Ice-Dance Puzzle. Let's update the "Skaters" page on the WISA website, shall we?

In reality, with reference to any new team, I do believe it is wise not to announce anything until one is certain a new partnership is really going to work.

Lara111

Totally Uneducated Theory #2947:

Gordon could skate with Tkachenko, and Kiliakov could skate with Lin. That would help explain the disappearing act with the novices. Gosh what an incredible amount of work all those new teams would be.

Tkachenko could skate with many good partners and I am sure would have been very successful but who would let her do that?

Undoubtedly. Of course, they could just tell us who is skating with who, and then my brain would stop trying to solve The-Great-Wheaton-Ice-Dance Puzzle. Let's update the "Skaters" page on the WISA website, shall we?

In reality, with reference to any new team, I do believe it is wise not to announce anything until one is certain a new partnership is really going to work.

Sylvia

It's Montreal Worlds week!
SIBLINGS IN SKATING: OONA BROWN & GAGE BROWN (June 8, 2019) who are coached by Inese Bucevica: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/siblings-in-skating-oona-brown-gage-brown/
Excerpt:
How do you like to spend your off-ice time?
We actually do a lot, almost the whole family runs competitively in races around LI. We also play in two Irish marching bands I [Gage] play the bagpipes and Oona plays the snare drum. Music is a huge part of our lives and Two of my brothers and I have a band, The Brother’s Brown. Oona likes to craft, I like to cook, and we all like just chilling out together.
What are your goals for this season?
We’re looking to place at as many competitions as possible, to be assigned to more than one Junior Grand Prix event, to make it to Nationals and place top three there, and to reach our full potential.
Clips of Oona & Gage Brown's exhibition version of their [2018-19] Junior free dance (her assisted lift of him at the end drew big applause) at the Ice Theatre of New York's "Spring Unplugged" show on May 2nd: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw_IL1enHFy/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information