U.S. Ladies [#26]: Bell, Boots, and Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavi

I answered one particular post which basically assumed that Tutberidze 'eats children', whereas our American kids all have healthy diets. I haven't seen discussions about Osmond's or Parsons' diets and didn't see any blame of their coaches.

Then why don’t you go start a thread about it instead of derailing this one. Or better yet, go to Golden Skate and criticize North Americans as Eteri haters in the Russian Ladies thread. They’ll be happy to welcome you.

natsulian

Sports Illustrated article on Alysa Liu:
https://www.si.com/olympics/2019/05/16/alysa-liu-us-figure-skating-future-quads

Key Notes:
- Training the 4Lz daily, but on the harness, rarely off of it
- Trains everyday for two sessions, including Saturday and Sunday
- Thinks the 4Lz is as easy as the 3Lz, but the 4S is very difficult for her
- Has been working on spins, skating skills, and presentation more than ever
- Does not know the racial identity of her surrogate mother
- Father makes her jump a certain jump five times, falls do not count
- Inspired Mariah Bell to start training the 3A and Bell has actually trained it since last summer as well
- Doesn’t mind waiting to be in the senior ranks internationally if it means more practice time
- Went to Lori for choreography and to improve her artistry
- Alysa says she wants to grow taller so that she can show the audience everything she has to offer

natsulian

Also, awesome pictures from her recent training session with Lipetsky.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Per Jackie Wong, Adam Rippon choreographed Mariah Bell's SP to Britney Spears. Additional content not universally accessible. If anyone has access to Mariah's Instagram account, please post.

sk9tingfan

Maximillian

RIP TA

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I feel like that music is overpowering Mariah. But that's only based on one short clip, so I don't want to rush to judgment. Maybe the full program will work better.

Sylvia

TBD
Mariah has THE ICE tour shows coming up in Japan later this summer (she debuted her "To Love You More" SP there last year although video never turned up publicly, IIRC). Don't forget that her programs (Britney) still have to "pass the test" of Champs Camp. ;)

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Britney seems to be headed towards more hard times, sadly. I hope this music choice doesn't become awkward.

VGThuy

Someone skating to Britney Spears was my biggest fear a decade or so ago when people were wondering if they should allow skaters to use lyrics in skating programs. Honestly, for the most part, I feel a lot of the choices singles and pairs skaters have selected since they allowed lyrics have been choices I felt seemed like throwaway ones where it didn't really matter what song they picked as it all had the same forgettable impact and not much depth to make them actual artistic statements. Some notable exceptions, obviously. I sort of blame the youngish choreographers who have pretty pedestrian taste and pick whatever pop song just came on their Spotify thinking it'll be "fierce" or something.

D

Deleted member 53443

Good music at a night club when you're buzzed. Not so good music to skate to for her. Choreography looks like glorified moves in the field test.

natsulian

I was expecting a fierce, attitude infused Short or Free... but Britney? I'm anticipating Mariah to be jumping with glee since she loves to do fun, poppy programs. Also, it'll market her really well after all that's occurred because the choreography and music should hopefully highlight Mariah's bubbly/cheeky nature, not the monster she was made out to be. An unorthodox and interesting choice that, fingers-crossed, will become the season's unexpected highlight.

Now for her Free... I'm thinking lyrical, lyrical, lyrical with huge emphasis on emotion and heart, something Mariah can sell to the 3000th row and back. Mariah's programs last season were simply exquisite and heading into the new season, she should capitalize off of her success as an emoter. Of course, I understand that Mariah wants to branch out and showcase her diversity, but if something works for the judges/and her... one should not tweak it too much. Plus, she wants to go to Beijing and unless she has a revelatory 3A or quad in her arsenal, Mariah will need to build her brand off of being a PCS skater if she intends to stay competitive in a rapidly evolving field.

Between Mariah and Bradie, I'm most excited to see what the latter comes up with. The music for Bradie's new program is stunning and if her desire is to continue to develop her artistry, it is the quintessential vehicle. However, much like last season, an artsy, out of the norm approach may hinder her ability to concentrate solely on the jumps which is when the under-rotation calls come in. Judging from the high point at which her season ended, I'm expecting Bradie to pull all the stops and really gun down her technical and performance components. She has the potential to score in the 150s now and if everything goes as planned, she should come swinging out of the gates as the number one US lady once more.

Ting's programs are nice, but not shocking since she's a very balletic and light skater. Ting needs to work on her artistry as well, especially on connecting with the audience and music. However, as she gains more experience, I'm certain that it will come to her. I'm also very ecstatic about Hanna broadening her repertoire and challenging herself with more classical/lyrical pieces and I cannot wait to see what Misha has concocted for her. Two very promising and bright young ladies that will certainly be ones to watch. Alysa and Lori... kind of saw that coming, but I'm hopeful that Lori will provide Alysa with all the necessary tools to become an even more well rounded skater. Cannot wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information