The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

O
I didn't always get C/B either. But they're looking great this year. That FD is just perfect for them, plus it's one of those that really helps lift the mood after 9,174,182 angsty emo programs in a row.

Only one team can do angsty emo programs with any genuine sincerity, so I honestly don't know why the other teams bother.#ubermodebeforeworlds :D

yurokis40

I didn't always get C/B either. But they're looking great this year. That FD is just perfect for them, plus it's one of those that really helps lift the mood after 9,174,182 angsty emo programs in a row.
Many people's predictions on GS have S/B for the bronze!
I would love an upset of G/F for the bronze.They were so ecstatic at Euros it would be worth it just to see Babs
in the KNC:rofl:
their rd is too weak to place its not a tango but a flamenco/paso doble , I don't see them on the podium plus the Russian fed favors the other team.

C

casken

The hot-mess potential in the majority of the top 8 makes it very difficult for me to pick favorites for silver & bronze this season.

2nd on down to like 8th is going to be a total crapshoot. Teams are going to be grouped based on PCS and GOE as usual, so level calls are probably going to be the decider.

I'm personally rooting for a P&C, W&P, G&F podium, with S&K and G&P rounding out the top 5, but that's never going to happen.

Dobre

2nd on down to like 8th is going to be a total crapshoot. Teams are going to be grouped based on PCS and GOE as usual, so level calls are probably going to be the decider.

I'm personally rooting for a P&C, W&P, G&F podium, with S&K and G&P rounding out the top 5, but that's never going to happen.

:p Three U.S. dance spots or bust. I am still personally rooting for Stepanova & Bukin and Weaver & Poje to make the podium. I would really like S&B to make it this year as they haven't before and this is a great time in their career to do so (watch them now finish down below Gilles & Poirier for the third season in a row); but I am mostly rooting for McNamara & Carpenter or, of course, the Shibs if they come back. So by golly, I don't care if Hubbell & Donohue and Chock & Bates are 6th & 7th or 4th & 8th, etc. But magic 13, please.

One minute, I think their odds are extremely good for finishing as high as 2 & 3. The next minute, I think about umpteen disasters I've seen from them. And Sinitsina & Katsalapov. And Andrew's twizzles. And you just know that if G&P don't bury themselves with the pattern in the short like they've been doing all season, they probably won't be able to deal with the newfound pressure in the FD. And I've seen S&B buried behind them enough times to know it can happen again. And Guignard & Fabbri are the same case as G&P where if they actually place up in the ranks early, there may be freaking out. (The best case scenario for these teams that haven't medaled before is probably to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack during the RD, skate a nice calm FD while going early in the lineup & having no clue what will happen to the higher-ranked teams, and then have the pressure tornado hit all the teams that go up later). Anyway . . . yeah. Every time I go to type in a well-this-is-probably-the-most-likely-result-but statement, I find myself thinking of all the reasons why that particular scenario is not all that likely really. On top of which we have the random new scoring system, and we really don't know how much these scores and placements can swing or can't swing when you cram all these top teams into the same competition.

Last edited:

kittysk8ts

:p Three U.S. dance spots or bust. I am still personally rooting for Stepanova & Bukin and Weaver & Poje to make the podium. I would really like S&B to make it this year as they haven't before and this is a great time in their career to do so (watch them now finish down below Gilles & Poirier for the third season in a row); but I am mostly rooting for McNamara & Carpenter or, of course, the Shibs if they come back. So by golly, I don't care if H&D and C&B are 6th & 7th or 4th & 8th, etc. But magic 13, please.

One minute, I think their odds are extremely good for finishing as high as 2 & 3. The next minute, I think about umpteen disasters I've seen from them. And S&K. And Andrew's twizzles. And you just know that if G&P don't bury themselves with the pattern in the short like they've been doing all season, they probably won't be able to deal with the newfound pressure in the FD. And I've seen S&B buried behind them enough times to know it can happen again. And G&F are the same case as G&P where if they actually place up in the ranks early, there may be freaking out. (The best case scenario for these teams that haven't medaled before is probably to finish somewhere in the middle of the pack during the RD, skate a nice calm FD while going early in the lineup & having no clue what will happen to the higher-ranked teams, and then have the pressure tornado hit all the teams that go up later). Anyway . . . yeah. Every time I go to type in a well-this-is-probably-the-most-likely-result-but statement, I find myself thinking of all the reasons why that particular scenario is not all that likely really. On top of which we have the random new scoring system, and we really don't know how much these scores and placements can swing or can't swing when you cram all these top teams into the same competition.
The unpredictability this season is going to make it an exciting event. I’ll be nervous for all of these teams. On which day is the FD?

yurokis40

could happen

Dobre

The unpredictability this season is going to make it an exciting event. I’ll be nervous for all of these teams. On which day is the FD?

(EDIT: See Debbie's post below). I'm blissfully uberfree for the dance event at Worlds this year so happily I won't have my heart in my throat the whole time like throughout most of last season. I'll be happy for teams and bummed for teams, but my heart will not break. I don't think. (It's possible I may wish to throw something at the wall upon occasion, depending on how things go);).

Last edited:

Debbie S

Per the link on GS, it's Saturday at 3:30 p.m. Pacific standard time.
I don't know what's linked on GS, but this is the latest version of the schedule, from the ISU site: http://www.isuresults.com/schedules/WC2019_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

Depending on where you live, the FD will be either Saturday night or early Sunday morning. Start time is 11:30 PM ET and ending time is 2:51 AM ET. If you live on the west coast, it's 8:30-11:51 PM.

The times don't always align with the NBC Gold times, so perhaps there will be adjustments made before the event starts.

kittysk8ts

I don't know what's linked on GS, but this is the latest version of the schedule, from the ISU site: http://www.isuresults.com/schedules/WC2019_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

Depending on where you live, the FD will be either Saturday night or early Sunday morning. Start time is 11:30 PM ET and ending time is 2:51 AM ET. If you live on the west coast, it's 8:30-11:51 PM.

The times don't always align with the NBC Gold times, so perhaps there will be adjustments made before the event starts.
Thank you! I’m happy with the Saturday/Sunday as I don’t work weekends and I have no problem staying up late or awakening early for a Worlds FD !

lauravvv

I live in Europe, Latvia, and work on weekends. Probably won't be able to resist checking the results before I get the chance to watch 🙄.

nuge

As we can't see others preds now.I would be interested to see everyone's top ten.

1.P/C FRA
2.H/D USA
3.C/B USA
4.W/P CAN
5.S/B RUS
6.S/K RUS
7.G/F ITA
8.G/P CAN
9.H/B USA
10.F/S CAN

Here's mine but I do keep changing them.

There is also one person on GS has C/B FOR GOLD French for silver :eek:

sharsk8s

There is also one person on GS has C/B FOR GOLD French for silver :eek:
My guess is they're betting on a few wardrobe malfunction and trips otherwise they must be insane

My predictions:
1) p/c
2) h/d
3) s/k or s/b
4) c/b
5) s/b or s/k
6) g/p
7) w/p
8) g/f
9) h/b
10) f-b/s

I think 2-5 and 6-8 really could be in any order and it wouldn't be too shocking
I also think that we will get a Russian team on the podium but it could be either (I am personally hoping for either s/b or c/b for the bronze)

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I’m going to make a political bet that the podium will have one American and one Russian team in addition to P/C. Which ones will be a combo of politik and whoever skates better in the days.

Firedancer

My guess is they're betting on a few wardrobe malfunction and trips otherwise they must be insane

My predictions:
1) p/c
2) h/d
3) s/k or s/b
4) c/b
5) s/b or s/k
6) g/p
7) w/p
8) g/f
9) h/b
10) f-b/s

I think 2-5 and 6-8 really could be in any order and it wouldn't be too shocking
I also think that we will get a Russian team on the podium but it could be either (I am personally hoping for either s/b or c/b for the bronze)

Mine is very similar to yours:
1) P/C
2) H/D
3) S/K or S/B
4) C/B
5) S/K or S/B
6) W/P
7) G/F
8) G/P
9) H/B
10) F-B/S

I do think there will be a Russian team on the podium. It could be either one depending who can skates the cleanest, with no major errors. I would prefer C/B for bronze.

sharsk8s

I’m going to make a political bet that the podium will have one American and one Russian team in addition to P/C. Which ones will be a combo of politik and whoever skates better in the days.
I 100% agree. I think both american and both russian teams have some sort of momentum and could be on the podium. I am not sure if it will even be clear after the RD because all of the teams have been within the same range, it might be something like a four way tie before the FD

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I think Canada will put a lot of political power behind W/P since dance is its only chance for a medal. I could see a FRA, RUS, CAN podium.

Debbie S

With no CAN or USA judge on the panel, it's hard to predict. I would say a U.S team for silver and a Russian team for bronze but with a panel weighted toward Eastern Europe, strange things could happen. I don't think we'll see more than one N.A. team on the podium, but it may come down to who politiks the most.

Dobre

I think Hubbell & Donohue will either be up or down. There's not a lot of halfway with them.

A substantial number of posters on GS just cut & paste their dance predictions based on a poster ahead of them (because the posters don't follow dance). Sometimes people insert the most random teams into their predictions, and then five or six people have the same team listed. And some people just use a "randomizer" for their predictions, so you get something random & then you have all the copy cats repeating it.

I think Canada will put a lot of political power behind W/P since dance is its only chance for a medal. I could see a FRA, RUS, CAN podium.

There is no North American judge in the judging pool for Worlds. And I wouldn't think Canada would be on the tech panel because 1. the caller at last year's Worlds was Canadian, 2. the caller at this year's 4CCs was Canadian, 3. the assistant caller at this year's Junior Worlds was Canadian. Maybe it can happen, but the odds do not seem likely, do they?

sharsk8s

Took a look back at 2014 worlds (the last time they were held in Saitama)
-W/P were 2nd
-Nikita was 4th with Elena while Victoria was 7th with Ruslan
-C/B were 5th
-G/P were 8th
-P/C were behind all those teams in 13th :eek:
-G/F were 14th
-Sarah Hurtando was 16th with Adrian
-F-B/S were 29th :eek:

So interesting and shocking to see how different the standings are now

Ka3sha

So interesting and shocking to see how different the standings are now
Though I wouldn’t be very surprised if we get 2015 podium (P/C, W/P, C/B) but maybe in another order.

I don't know what to think and for whom to root, as I like almost all teams in top-8 :)

Re Russian teams: I think that SinKats have better chances to grab a medal (if they skate to their best), but S/B will most likely finish ahead of their teammates if the podium is FRA-USA-CAN.

sharsk8s

I don't really understand why people think WeaPo will medal. If h/d didn't have that disaster skate at 4CC then they probably would have been 3rd not to mention they have G/P have been on their heels. They clearly won't beat p/c and very possibly at least one of the russian teams will beat them too. I think a top 5 finish is more realistic for them. Of course we have seen more surprising things happen in ice dance but I am not betting for them to be on the podium.

Dobre

I don't really understand why people think WeaPo will medal.

Why would anyone have thought Weaver & Poje would medal last year? Or finish fourth the year before? Or finish fifth the year before? Or finish third the year before? Or finish second the year before? When have Weaver & Poje ever finished in the same place one would have predicted based on their season?

(Basically, if Chock & Bates have good odds, then I don't know why Weaver & Poje wouldn't? They've both still split results basically 50% of the time over the past 5 years).

Colonel Green

Yeah, I personally don’t think they’re especially likely to podium this year, though obviously they could podium depending on how things shake down during the actual event.

There’s a high degree of volatility in the standings, though, reflected in how Guignard/Fabbri are the only team with both a GPF medal and a regional championship medal this season — and they currently have the lowest PB among the top 8 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information