From Russia with Love [#31]: Winter to Spring 2019

VenusH.

This is very devastating for Liza. She worked hard this season, she has many medals and is somewhat consistent. She may not always land her 3A but never had full on meltdown. I am happy for Zhenya.... but she just did not have good season. I hope she knows how to protect herself mentally from all the drama that is bound to happen

barbarafan

Russian Team For Worlds:
Ladies: Samodurova, Zagitova, Medvedeva
Subs - Tuktamysheva, Konstantinova
Men: Samarin, Kovtun, Kolyada
Subs: Lazukin, Aliev, Voronov
Pairs: Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiyako/Enbert, Boikova/Kozlovskii
Subs: Pavluchenko/Khodykin, Mishina/Gallyamov, Efimova/Korovin
Ice Dance: Stepanova/Bukin, Sinitsina/Katsalapov
Subs: Evdokimova/Bazin, Zahorski/Guerreiro, Popova/Mozgov
https://fsrussia.ru/news/4271-ispol...rnoj-rossii-na-chempionat-mira-v-yaponii.html

Wow.. I am in shock...did not see this happening

starrynight

It's such a shame Liza got so sick. If she'd been able to compete at Nationals, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all. There's such a double standard.

Liza has been consistent all season. No huge melt downs. Had the Grand Prix Final been scored reasonably, she would have beaten Zagitova there. She has the ability to hit it big if she gets those 3As. And yet here we are. Somehow, one small domestic comp outweighs the whole of Tuktamysheva's strong season.

It seems like everyone at the Russian Fed is hoping that if they close their eyes hard enough they can get back in a time machine to February 2018 and the judges will come along for the ride. Which to an extent, the judges have also been pretending its February 2018 all season, regardless of what actually happens on the ice.

Last edited:

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Thrilled for Evgenia, she's really fought through the struggles at the start of the season, and come out a better competitor. It's rough for Liza (and I think she should be on the team over Alina), but Russia's approach has never really been about body of work over the season, they always seem to give more weight to who has been performing strongly in the most recent competitions - Euros results overrides nationals, and Russian cup has previously been used to allow skaters to make a case for the world team.

starrynight

Worlds is in Japan where there are very strong Japanese ladies. Not sure how keen the judges and audience will be to prop up Russian ladies based on last season's results?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Russian Team For Worlds:
Ladies: Samodurova, Zagitova, Medvedeva
Subs - Tuktamysheva, Konstantinova
Men: Samarin, Kovtun, Kolyada
Subs: Lazukin, Aliev, Voronov
Pairs: Tarasova/Morozov, Zabiyako/Enbert, Boikova/Kozlovskii
Subs: Pavluchenko/Khodykin, Mishina/Gallyamov, Efimova/Korovin
Ice Dance: Stepanova/Bukin, Sinitsina/Katsalapov
Subs: Evdokimova/Bazin, Zahorski/Guerreiro, Popova/Mozgov
https://fsrussia.ru/news/4271-ispol...rnoj-rossii-na-chempionat-mira-v-yaponii.html

Wait, WHAT? Is this official?

starrynight

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
Wow. I was not expecting this. TUK medalled in both her GP's and at the GPF. She comes back from pneumonia only to lose by a point to a skater who bombed her GP's and Nationals. And yet TUK stays home. Interesting. I really don't care for TUK's skating either, since she is a perfect example of all jumps and nothing else. But wow. The politik is strong with MED.

annie_mg

I'm shocked, never thought they would do this to Tuk. I have to be honest, I do prefer Med over her by a mile, but I thought Tuk had proved herself enough. And I was hoping for Med to stay home, keep working, and slay next season.

All this talk about "body of work" - isn't this term something that people started talking about when Rippon didn't qualify based on his Nationals performance last year but still went to the Olympics based on his "BOW"? I don't think it's a concept that the Russian Fed uses/takes into account. Maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't, but let's not keep mentioning it as if it's self-explanatory....

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'm shocked, never thought they would do this to Tuk. I have to be honest, I do prefer Med over her by a mile, but I thought Tuk had proved herself enough. And I was hoping for Med to stay home, keep working, and slay next season.

All this talk about "body of work" - isn't this term something that people started talking about when Rippon didn't qualify based on his Nationals performance last year but still went to the Olympics based on his "BOW"? I don't think it's a concept that the Russian Fed uses/takes into account. Maybe they should, maybe they shouldn't, but let's not keep mentioning it as if it's self-explanatory....
That BOW started when Wagner was sent to Sochi after coming in 4th at US nationals instead of Nagasu who was 3rd. It worked so well for Wagner that when she came in 4th again, she stayed home in 2018.

annie_mg

That BOW started when Wagner was sent to Sochi after coming in 4th at US nationals instead of Nagasu who was 3rd. It worked so well for Wagner that when she came in 4th again, she stayed home in 2018.

Thank you! I knew it started from a US nationals competition (not a Russian one for that matter).

morqet

rising like a phoenix

You're right, the Russian Fed seems to prefer to go with the most recent result - e.g. R/T won a silver on the GP and were 2nd at Nationals in 2010/11 compared to I/K's GP bronze and 3rd at Nationals, but I/K went to Worlds after beating R/T at Euros. Very similar to last year where Aliev had a mediocre GP season and was 3rd at Nationals, but went to the Olympics over Samarin after beating him at Euros even though Samarin had been pretty successful at his GPs.

zebraswan

No, they don't care about that, never have...just ask Sergei.

mjb52

This is a really hard decision and I'm glad I wasn't part of making it. I can definitely understand why they would have gone for the stronger skater overall but it is really hard on Liza given how well she performed over the course of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information