The Dance Hall 6: We're All Off Our Rockers 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
But now that H&D have lost, their PCS marks are gonna go way down at Worlds to leave room for the Russians. We all know how judging works in Ice Dance. The Eastern Euro judges now have an excuse to put S&B and S&K ahead of them in PCS now.
Not if they HIT THOSE DAMN LEVELS.
All season long they've been gifted levels like candies when they could have learned BEFORE 4CC that they were not there at all.
Now it's better here than at worlds. They'll have some time to work to get those levels.

VGThuy

I'm becoming more convinced that G&F are screwed come Worlds.

They've been skating out of their skin all season and they barely cracked 120 in the FD, but C&B get 126 thanks in part to insane GOE. Ugh.

Things could go back to normal like what happened between 2017 4CC and 2017 Worlds where it was a free-for-all.

Colonel Green

But now that H&D have lost, their PCS marks are gonna go way down at Worlds to leave room for the Russians. We all know how judging works in Ice Dance. The Eastern Euro judges now have an excuse to put S&B and S&K ahead of them in PCS now.
I don't know that I buy that. Hubbell and Donohue have been losing levels, etc. all season. There was already plenty of opportunity to ding them, had they felt the desire to.

GreenGan

I understand its ice dance and unfortunately reputation matters a lot but G/P were better and much more interesting than C/B today.
Well, G/P got better PCS than C/B so there's that.

Aaah I didn't have a stream for this competition, can't wait to see all of those free dance !

VGThuy

Regarding G/F being screwed at Worlds. All they need to do is just concentrate on hitting those levels and maximizing their base values while performing well as they have been all season. Doing so has given them so many great results that they were NOT supposed to get. That's all any team not totally in favor can do. They have to demand the respect. IF they keep giving consistently clean and inspired performances with high levels, then things will fall into place. They're not the first nor the last team to demand respect from the judges who did not anoint them as one of the chosen ones.

Dobre

All season long they've been gifted levels like candies when they could have learned BEFORE 4CC that they were not there at all.

???

They haven't been gifted levels like candy in their international events this season. They haven't been winning the levels in many of their performances this year. The high GOE & PCS have just been disguising that fact. Interestingly, they earned higher footwork levels here than they have had all season. (She caught her edge early in the program--must have been in the one-foot step sequence--so I was quite surprised about this actually; but they got the level 4 for the midline, which is the first time for them this season). Anyway, they had a very similar tech panel at SA this season. Bowness was the caller there as well. Dostatni was the AT. And Shekovtsova was the controller. They had Elek on the panel at both SC and the GPF. And Blumberg at the GPF as well. H&D already had the level 2 spin in the FD at the GPF.

We all knew this field was primed for an upset. And none of us knew how it was going to go. With Weaver & Poje and Chock & Bates stepping back into international competition, it really tightens up the field. Put pressure on H&D that they haven't experienced before. (They've never gone into 4CCs as the favorites before). This wasn't their best performance of the season, and I think they knew that after they skated. Interestingly, she was the one who skated tight. I'm sure the stationary lift hit was a shock, but better they get the feedback now heading into Worlds. It's all experience.

I still have issues with their FD program. There's no build at the end, and it really subdues the audience reaction. But at this point, it is the program they have. They need to tighten up their execution and learn from the experience.

Last edited:

muffinplus

If Gilles/Poirier had any chance of medaling at Worlds this year, this RD needed to be absolutely spectacular, and unfortunately it is not getting scored as if it will contend with top scores at Worlds...I'm guessing they will end up in the 2nd group at Worlds? What are the current world standings?

Carol Lane was NOT having it in K&C

Last edited:

barbarafan

If Gilles/Poirier had any chance of medaling at Worlds this year, this RD needed to be absolutely spectacular, and unfortunately it is not getting scored as if it will contend with top scores at Worlds...I'm guessing they will end up in the 2nd RD group at Worlds?

Carol Lane was NOT having it in K&C

I missed GP mostly...Had to put supper out for a hungry son. Does anyone hav a vid?

sharsk8s

skatingguy

decently
How do we have eurosport commentary of 4cc and I am still trying to find europeans (particularly s/b, f/g, and p/c) with eurosport
Not sure - did Eurosport show the Ice Dance event. If memory serves they were supposed to air the free dance, but not the rhythm dance but I can't find any videos.

Debbie S

If Gilles/Poirier had any chance of medaling at Worlds this year, this RD needed to be absolutely spectacular, and unfortunately it is not getting scored as if it will contend with top scores at Worlds...I'm guessing they will end up in the 2nd group at Worlds? What are the current world standings?
Yes, G/P will be in the penultimate RD group. Among teams competing this season, they are ranked 6th. They needed to finish ahead of C/B to overtake them in the rankings.

The final RD group at Worlds: P/C, H/D, G/F, S/B, and C/B. 2nd group is G/P, W/P, SinKats, and 2 more I can't recall.

chantilly

How do we have eurosport commentary of 4cc and I am still trying to find europeans (particularly s/b, f/g, and p/c) with eurosport
It is so frustrating the coverage and commentary this year.
No Canadian coverage of 4CC ‘s and NBC only covering the men and women. Considering their prowess in dance I just don’t get why they don’t cover it on network television

Last edited:

Debbie S

OK, check that: H/B are actually now ranked 6th (of currently competing teams) and G/P 7th - so the penultimate RD group is H/B, G/P, W/P, SinKats and the Poles.

lauravvv

I understand its ice dance and unfortunately reputation matters a lot but G/P were better and much more interesting than C/B today.
Well, G/P got higher PCS than C/B, although not by a lot, but C/B clearly had a lot of really well executed elements, so the levels and GOE were there.
I do not like their FD at all. Just looks like something put together because there were no better ideas
I disagree with this, though. I personally truly like both FDs - each in it's own way. Some may not like the style of C/B's FD (obviously, including you) and/or the music change, but the choreography is really good - it reflects the style of the music so well and has so many nuances and elements right on it (the music).

Now it's better here than at worlds. They'll have some time to work to get those levels.
They have not been gifted levels at all - especially when it comes to the RD and step sequence levels. And this was not the first time when they got level 2 on their spin, although it looks well executed on the surface. I wonder whether it's about the construction of the spin (in which case they should have changed it before the 4CC), or about the execution - I have not paid such close attention to it. As for the stationary lift, they could not have learned anything about the basic level before this competition, as it was not a construction problem that got them that basic level, but a mistake that they (or, rather, Donohue) had not made before.

The final RD group at Worlds: P/C, H/D, G/F, S/B, and C/B. 2nd group is G/P, W/P, SinKats, and 2 more I can't recall.
Should be Hawayek/Baker and Kaliszek/Spodyriev, I think?

shuilee

I'm much more concerned about H&D's level 2 spins. The stationary lift issue seems to be a fluke mistake and easily fixable by Worlds. But the level 2 spins has happened 2x in a row in ISU competition and Patch doesn't seem to know how to fix it.

Anyone in technik can explain why level 2? It looks well executed and don't see anything obvious, but they keep losing 2 points which will knock them right off the podium at worlds.

Worlds this year reminds me of 2017 where teams between 3rd and 8th were so close after SD, and it led to some teams bombing in the FD.

skatingguy

decently
I'm much more concerned about H&D's level 2 spins. The stationary lift issue seems to be a fluke mistake and easily fixable by Worlds. But the level 2 spins has happened 2x in a row in ISU competition and Patch doesn't seem to know how to fix it.

Anyone in technik can explain why level 2? It looks well executed and don't see anything obvious, but they keep losing 2 points which will knock them right off the podium at worlds.
I'm certainly no teknik but reading the dance spin requirements I'm wondering if the issue is that Zach's upright position is not considered a difficult variation. The regulations say the following:
 Level 3 or 4 shall be considered only when each partner performs at least one of the Difficult Variations given credit for Level.
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...nications-1/17898-isu-communication-2188/file

flowerpower

It is so frustrating the coverage and commentary this year.
No Canadian coverage of 4CC ‘s and NBC only covering the men and women. Considering their prowess in dance I just don’t get why they don’t cover it on network television

It's commentary-free, but in Canada CBC streamed the whole competition. The full-event recordings are up on the CBC Sports website.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
It's commentary-free, but in Canada CBC streamed the whole competition. The full-event recordings are up on the CBC Sports website.
Do you have a link to the recordings? I tried looking in the archives of cbc but it wouldn't load. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information