Nathan Chen (#Slaythan Fans) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

olympic

If Yuzuru and Nathan skate clean, it's going to Yuzuru. If Shoma and Nathan skate clean, it's probably going to Shoma because Japan. If none of them skate clean I think Yuzu has a bigger cushion than Nathan, but Nathan has a bigger cushion than Shoma. If all three go clean then I won't try to predict that, but what a great competition that will be.

I believe the one time Silivas beat team USSR in the IAAF was at 1987 Euros in Moscow, so anything is possible :)

Jammers

I'm worried that Nathan had his skate of the season at Nationals. I can't see him skating better then what we just saw this weekend but hopefully he still hasn't peaked.

VGThuy

I don't know, his triple Axels were better earlier this season so that's something he can do better at Worlds, and maybe his quad Lutz will be consistent again, ;)

Dobre

I'm under the impression that he would like to put the quad sal back in the free program. There's a quote from him during the Nationals press conference saying that he did it a couple times in the warm-up, but he wasn't comfortable with it so they decided not to do it in the competition.

VGThuy

Actually his 3A in the FS was the best I’ve seen him do

I think it was better at the GPF. I remember being surprised at how great they were there. I think it was the GPF. The ones at Nationals were bigger but the landings weren't as great as it was last month or so. But the rest of his skating was better at Nats. Big time.

ETA: Yeah, I think the 3A in the GPF SP was the best I've seen it from him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzzubtk_A6Q

But the LP at Nats was excellent as well.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I think it was better at the GPF. I remember being surprised at how great they were there. I think it was the GPF. The ones at Nationals were bigger but the landings weren't as great as it was last month or so. But the rest of his skating was better at Nats. Big time.

ETA: Yeah, I think the 3A in the GPF SP was the best I've seen it from him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzzubtk_A6Q

But the LP at Nats was excellent as well.
It had the slightest pitch forward but it was also very good. I wonder if it’s the loose shirt and vest that made everything look worse. Nathan 3a isn’t as good as Hanyu’s whose I find the best in the biz. But Hanyu doesn’t have the 4z or 4f.
Where Hanyu will get points will be the GOE of the quads he does have and the complicated entrances/exits. That’s what Nathan needs to work on in between homework. :D
What struck me at Nats were Nathan’s improved SS and foot placement in general. Has he been hanging out at Gadbois with MF? Also his performance quality went up since GPF.

VGThuy

It had the slightest pitch forward but it was also very good. I wonder if it’s the loose shirt and vest that made everything look worse. Nathan 3a isn’t as good as Hanyu’s whose I find the best in the biz. But Hanyu doesn’t have the 4z or 4f.
Where Hanyu will get points will be the GOE of the quads he does have and the complicated entrances/exits. That’s what Nathan needs to work on in between homework. :D
What struck me at Nats were Nathan’s improved SS and foot placement in general. Has he been hanging out at Gadbois with MF? Also his performance quality went up since GPF.

Absolutely. Maybe winter break gave him a bit more time to train.

IceAlisa

Probably! He blows my mind every time I think about what he is doing.

On to the next topic. Do you think Nathan will get a new Vera Wang for Worlds? I didn’t like the first orange is the new black attempt. I generally don’t love what she does for him. I think Kwan’s dresses were her best efforts but I don’t love the minimalist onesies on Nathan. :(

lurkz2

4S in the LP? Where would he put it?

It was supposed to be the 3rd jump, he did a 4T instead. In another interview (I can't remember which one) he mentioned he was training a 4T-Eu-3S (? not so sure about the last jump) combination but he has not been hitting it well enough to put into comp. So I guess they're still trying to go for 5 quads.

Firedancer

Probably! He blows my mind every time I think about what he is doing.

On to the next topic. Do you think Nathan will get a new Vera Wang for Worlds? I didn’t like the first orange is the new black attempt. I generally don’t love what she does for him. I think Kwan’s dresses were her best efforts but I don’t love the minimalist onesies on Nathan. :(

I think he probably will, just bc he had new VW costumes here. But I wish he wouldn’t. I haven’t really loved anything she has done for him.

olympic

It was supposed to be the 3rd jump, he did a 4T instead. In another interview (I can't remember which one) he mentioned he was training a 4T-Eu-3S (? not so sure about the last jump) combination but he has not been hitting it well enough to put into comp. So I guess they're still trying to go for 5 quads.

Thanks. It would make sense and be worth a bit more ... if it is clean and solid. But going back to school will probably cut into any time to work it in.

When is spring break for Yale? Worlds are in March. I assume it's around there somewhere

Skittl1321

Thanks. It would make sense and be worth a bit more ... if it is clean and solid. But going back to school will probably cut into any time to work it in.

When is spring break for Yale? Worlds are in March. I assume it's around there somewhere

Yale's calendar has spring recess starting EOD March 8, and classes resuming March 25. (2 week break)

VGThuy

I think going sleek for the SP did that program wonders. That vest ensemble he had earlier made him look a lot more hunchy and messy. Even though the design is boring, the VW onesie makes Nathan look like he has good posture in his back and shoulders.

olympic

Yale's calendar has spring recess starting EOD March 8, and classes resuming March 25. (2 week break)

Excellent, I think that gives him 2 weeks prior to Worlds to train

ETA - Top 10 International scores this season [Left out is Boyang, who did very well at CHN Nationals, and whose score would probably be in the mix]:

1 Yuzuru Hanyu 297.12 2018 GP Helsinki
2 Nathan Chen 282.42 2018-19 GPF
3 Shoma Uno 277.25 2018 SC
4 Mikhail Kolyada RUS 274.37 2018 ONT
5 Javier Fernandez ESP 271.59 2019 Euros
6 Alexander Samarin RUS 269.84 2019 Euros
7 Keegan Messing CAN 265.17 2018 SC
8 Cha Jun Hwan KOR 263.49 2018-19 GPF
9 Jason Brown USA 263.42 2018 Golden Spin
10 Michal Brezina CZE 257.98 2018 GP Helsinki

I crossed out Javi. It really does look like a 3-man race. I guess we will find out if it is a 4-man race after Boyang skates at 4CCs, and we will also see if Uno is an even bigger threat [I think he is slated to compete there as well].

Kolyada's score belies the fact that he is woefully inconsistent, as evidenced at Russian Nats and Euros, and Samarin's silver medal at Euros was a win for him, but I think he lacks the PCS to be a threat to the podium unless someone crashes and burns. I also think Cha and Jason Brown are moving up and could be in front of Keegan at this point, who started out the season stronger. Brezina also has looked a little weaker recently, even after having one of the best GP seasons in his life.

I would still predict Nathan to get silver in JPN. He has beaten Uno at the GPF, last year's Worlds, and was magnificent at Nationals. I think he only beats Hanyu if he is affected by his injury

Last edited:

IceAlisa

It's insane that Nathan can just play around with what quads he feels like doing that day. One day we will look back and realize how extraordinary this kid was and how he changed the sport.
I am still not over the fact of how he’s skating while attending an Ivy League full time. It defies reason but he’s doing it.

Last year when he announced his decision to matriculate, I prepared myself to say good bye to his skating career. Obviously, I don’t know Nathan Chen :lol:

olympic

During the broadcast, Johnny and Tara were talking about how Nathan and Raf have a strategy for 2022. I was surprised, but guardedly ecstatic.

sk9tingfan

Excellent, I think that gives him 2 weeks prior to Worlds to train

ETA - Top 10 International scores this season [Left out is Boyang, who did very well at CHN Nationals, and whose score would probably be in the mix]:

1 Yuzuru Hanyu 297.12 2018 GP Helsinki
2 Nathan Chen 282.42 2018-19 GPF
3 Shoma Uno 277.25 2018 SC
4 Mikhail Kolyada RUS 274.37 2018 ONT
5 Javier Fernandez ESP 271.59 2019 Euros
6 Alexander Samarin RUS 269.84 2019 Euros
7 Keegan Messing CAN 265.17 2018 SC
8 Cha Jun Hwan KOR 263.49 2018-19 GPF
9 Jason Brown USA 263.42 2018 Golden Spin
10 Michal Brezina CZE 257.98 2018 GP Helsinki

I crossed out Javi. It really does look like a 3-man race. I guess we will find out if it is a 4-man race after Boyang skates at 4CCs, and we will also see if Uno is an even bigger threat [I think he is slated to compete there as well].

Kolyada's score belies the fact that he is woefully inconsistent, as evidenced at Russian Nats and Euros, and Samarin's silver medal at Euros was a win for him, but I think he lacks the PCS to be a threat to the podium unless someone crashes and burns. I also think Cha and Jason Brown are moving up and could be in front of Keegan at this point, who started out the season stronger. Brezina also has looked a little weaker recently, even after having one of the best GP seasons in his life.

I would still predict Nathan to get silver in JPN. He has beaten Uno at the GPF, last year's Worlds, and was magnificent at Nationals. I think he only beats Hanyu if he is affected by his injury

I think that it is way too early to predict anything; three years is a long time and the specter of injury looms. In addition, Hanyu has had some significant injuries which does not bode well for him but injury does not respect anyone. I think we have to wait at least another 18 months to make any reliable predictions.

olympic

I think that it is way too early to predict anything; three years is a long time and the specter of injury looms. In addition, Hanyu has had some significant injuries which does not bode well for him but injury does not respect anyone. I think we have to wait at least another 18 months to make any reliable predictions.

18 months? Worlds is only less than 2 months away :confused:

Jammers

Is Hanyu even looking to compete in a 3rd Olympics? It seems like the last couple of years he has hardly competed because of injuries. Not sure if his body will last another 4 years.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Nathan is amazing and multi-talented. He's a young man for all seasons and reasons. Good luck to Nathan in his studies and in his skating career goals! :cheer2: Probably having his studies and other activities to focus on off-the-ice, helps Nathan's skating focus on the ice and in his training.

sharsk8s

During the broadcast, Johnny and Tara were talking about how Nathan and Raf have a strategy for 2022. I was surprised, but guardedly ecstatic.
I think he is planning on taking a few semesters off in preparation (or at least that is what he said)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information