German Skating News 2018/19

shah

Shhh... shhh...
Oli P won Season 1? (y)(y)(y)

I really wouldn't mind seeing Annette Dytrt back on the competitive ice. If Zoe Jones could do it, why can't she? :)

David Vincour used to represent the Czech Republic with Kamila Hajkova, they competed in Vancouver :).

annie_mg

Just wanted to write that I got tickets for the 28th of February Berlin Holiday on Ice show where Aljona and Bruno will skate. In case someone else is around, we could meet before and talk skating :)

Maryland25

I was kinda surprised either, they gave it another shot, as the previous seasons were not really successful 🤷🏼‍♂️

To me, the interest in figure skating here has not much grown since S/M's gold, but who knows 🤷🏼‍♂️

This is the most important question! The only acceeptable answer to this is she is having numerous tryouts for her epic comeback! 👆🏼
#hopedieslast :drama:

:40beers:

:respec:

I am super excited about DOI even if it’s trash TV. The Pros are on a high level this time but celebrities are kinda meh. But I loved Joti and Sarah skating. Maybe a pair for 2022? Just kidding but who knows? Maybe Sarah is a Secret ice Queen and Shows off her hidden talent?

Concerning Mari i heard she studies something that has to do with fashion. Can’t remember what exactly she studies but the fact that she studies explains why she is not in the show. I know from my kids who study it’s a full time job.

Enchanted

^The cover picture looks a bit awkward but the other pics might be better if judged by the video linked to the article.

Miezekatze

I quite liked the Dancing on Ice show, I just hate all those commercial breaks on the private tv channels, which is the main reason I usually don't watch them anymore :soapbox:

I was quite impressed with Joti and Sarah and also with Amani and Timor. John Kelly and Anette were also ok, but the hardcore Kelly Family fans are :yikes:

The jury is ok, except that I didn't like Judith Williams...Daniel is very tame in comparison to his regular commentating :p

I think the Playboy photos are ok, except for the cover photos really being a bit awkward.

J

Jeschke

Is there any lady aport from Marold, Eudine and Isaev even worth considering?
No :shuffle:
Not to speak, that Isaev did not even skate any international event so far this season and has to score 137+ to be in consideration at all. Eudine and Marold are pretty save to me.

German Fed has just declared Bavarian Open to JW qualifier. guess with all the injuries they wanna see the candidates a bit closer to the date.
https://www.eislauf-union.de/media1/news/431-präsidiumsbeschluss-zur-jwm-qualifikation
To be honest, I really dislike that decision. I approve if it would work as a monitoring (to see if some of the injured are ready) but adding it that late as another qualifier event seems not fair to me.
The juniors are allowed 3 international events counting towards the race. There are some juniors who already competed 3 times. Adding now a 'home soil' international is a big favour to all those with competitions left to skate.

Don't get me wrong. I never understood, why Bavrian Open would not count towards the race anyway, and why they put the end of the qualification time right in front of Bavarian Open.
If all skaters having done 3 competitions are allowed to skate and the points will count, I am fine, otherwise this leaves some bitter taste imho.

Sunny231

No :shuffle:
Not to speak, that Isaev did not even skate any international event so far this season and has to score 137+ to be in consideration at all. Eudine and Marold are pretty save to me.

To be honest, I really dislike that decision. I approve if it would work as a monitoring (to see if some of the injured are ready) but adding it that late as another qualifier event seems not fair to me.
The juniors are allowed 3 international events counting towards the race. There are some juniors who already competed 3 times. Adding now a 'home soil' international is a big favour to all those with competitions left to skate.

Don't get me wrong. I never understood, why Bavrian Open would not count towards the race anyway, and why they put the end of the qualification time right in front of Bavarian Open.
If all skaters having done 3 competitions are allowed to skate and the points will count, I am fine, otherwise this leaves some bitter taste imho.

I do not agree, IMO it is a good decision taking into consideration the current situation, especially with the ladies, but also for the men, if you see the number of international competitions who did each one of them, only Jagoda, Starostin and Gurdzhi have already skated 3 events or more:

Kai Jagoda – 4 events (JGP LTU, Halloween Cup, Volvo Open Cup, Golden Spin Zagreb)
Nikita Starostin – 4 events (JGP SLO, Inge Solar Melorial / Alpen Trophy, Tallinn Trophy, Mentor Torun Cup)
Denis Gurdzhi – 3 events (JGP SVK, Inge Solar Melorial / Alpen Trophy, Christmas Cup)

Jonathan Heß – 2 events (JGP AUT & JGP CZE)
Luis Weissert – 2 events (Christmas Cup & Inge Solar Melorial / Alpen Trophy)
Tim England – 2 events (Halloween Cup, Prague Riedell Ice Cup)
Florian Paschke – 1 event (Volvo Open Cup)
Daniel Sapozhnikov – 1 event (Volvo Open Cup)
Maxim Knorr – 1 event (Inge Solar Melorial / Alpen Trophy)
Nicos Jaron Martick - 1 event (Prague Riedell Ice Cup)

Especially Paschke and Sapozhnikov deserve another chance to score IMO as they had only 1 event so far.
Heß could benefit, too, if he recovers from injury on time (IMO Heß has more potential than Gurdzhi to place higher at WJC if healthy, of course). Starostin is already safe in any case.

There is no lady who skated already 3 times internationally:

Ann-Christin Marold – 2 events (JGP CZE, Skate Celje)
Elodie Eudine – 2 events (Grand Prix of Bratislava, Mentor Torun Cup)
Linn Jörgensen – 2 events (Inge Solar Memorial / Alpen Trophy, Mentor Torun Cup)
Carolin Hess – 2 events (Inge Solar Memorial / Alpen Trophy, Halloween Cup)
Romy Schallert – 2 events (Inge Solar Memorial / Alpen Trophy, Mentor Torun Cup)
Anastasia Steblyanka – 1 event (Inge Solar Memorial / Alpen Trophy)
Janne Salatzki – 1 event (Grand Prix of Bratislava)
Tiffany Klaunig – 1 event (Golden Bear)
Lea Schwamberger – 1 event (Prague Riedell Ice Cup)

Marold and Eudine will most likely make it, but it is fair to give the others another try, too.

sus2850

Is it not simply the best three that count? At least with the seniors it was like that (best of however many you chose to do up to and including nationals).

J

Jeschke

Is it not simply the best three that count? At least with the seniors it was like that (best of however many you chose to do up to and including nationals).
No. 2 events are counting towards the race and they are only allowed to skate 3more internationals (of those who count towards the race) plus jgp and junior nationals.

Seniors you could not skate as often as you want either in the last seasons. Each skater is only allowed to do 3challengers, and challenger (and higher) were the events counting.
Last season they were not even allowed skating another challenger, if they had to withdraw from one.

J

Jeschke

I do not agree, IMO it is a good decision taking into consideration the current situation, especially with the ladies, but also for the men, if you see the number of international competitions who did each one of them, only Jagoda, Starostin and Gurdzhi have already skated 3 events or more:

Kai Jagoda – 4 events (JGP LTU, Halloween Cup, Volvo Open Cup, Golden Spin Zagreb)
Nikita Starostin – 4 events (JGP SLO, Inge Solar Melorial / Alpen Trophy, Tallinn Trophy, Mentor Torun Cup)
Denis Gurdzhi – 3 events (JGP SVK, Inge Solar Melorial / Alpen Trophy, Christmas Cup)

Jonathan Heß – 2 events (JGP AUT & JGP CZE)
Luis Weissert – 2 events (Christmas Cup & Inge Solar Melorial / Alpen Trophy)
Tim England – 2 events (Halloween Cup, Prague Riedell Ice Cup)
Florian Paschke – 1 event (Volvo Open Cup)
Daniel Sapozhnikov – 1 event (Volvo Open Cup)
Maxim Knorr – 1 event (Inge Solar Melorial / Alpen Trophy)
Nicos Jaron Martick - 1 event (Prague Riedell Ice Cup)

Especially Paschke and Sapozhnikov deserve another chance to score IMO as they had only 1 event so far.
Heß could benefit, too, if he recovers from injury on time (IMO Heß has more potential than Gurdzhi to place higher at WJC if healthy, of course). Starostin is already safe in any case.

There is no lady who skated already 3 times internationally:

Ann-Christin Marold – 2 events (JGP CZE, Skate Celje)
Elodie Eudine – 2 events (Grand Prix of Bratislava, Mentor Torun Cup)
Linn Jörgensen – 2 events (Inge Solar Memorial / Alpen Trophy, Mentor Torun Cup)
Carolin Hess – 2 events (Inge Solar Memorial / Alpen Trophy, Halloween Cup)
Romy Schallert – 2 events (Inge Solar Memorial / Alpen Trophy, Mentor Torun Cup)
Anastasia Steblyanka – 1 event (Inge Solar Memorial / Alpen Trophy)
Janne Salatzki – 1 event (Grand Prix of Bratislava)
Tiffany Klaunig – 1 event (Golden Bear)
Lea Schwamberger – 1 event (Prague Riedell Ice Cup)

Marold and Eudine will most likely make it, but it is fair to give the others another try, too.

Thanks for your summary:
I agree on the ladies, no problem here, as non has skated often enough in the events counting. (Marold skated another event, I forgot which, but that one did not count towards the #juniorrace.

I have a different opinion on the men: Heß is not likely to score higher than Gurdzhi or Jagoda. His PCS are for sure not better than Jagoda , maybe the same level or bit better than Gurdzhi. He has been a mess all season, even before the i injury (the others were a mess too).
But my problem is exactly here, as the main rivals towards this spot (Gurdzhi and Jagoda) may not be allowed to skate on home soil now. They maybe would have preferred that event too. I guess we won't get any answer, maybe they appear on the entries. We can speculate then what wil count...

And whose fault is that? :huh: I doubt german fed denied them skating more than one event so far?
So speaking of 'deserving'; there were plenty shots to skate this season.
(if german fed already did, ignore this :p )

Either way: Starostin seems the only one with real potential. He hast great basics, great musicality and is not hopeless on the tricks.

Sunny231

I have a different opinion on the men: Heß is not likely to score higher than Gurdzhi or Jagoda. His PCS are for sure not better than Jagoda , maybe the same level or bit better than Gurdzhi. He has been a mess all season, even before the i injury (the others were a mess too).

Yes, Heß had a really shitty season so far, but you are forgetting that it was him who secured 2 spots at the last WJC :p, so he is definitely capable of more than he did this season so far.

But my problem is exactly here, as the main rivals towards this spot (Gurdzhi and Jagoda) may not be allowed to skate on home soil now. They maybe would have preferred that event too. I guess we won't get any answer, maybe they appear on the entries. We can speculate then what wil count...

Gurdzhi can still do another international competition which counts, he did 3 events already, but one of it was a JGP, the JGP's do count separately. So why should it be not fair if Gurdzhi and Heß both get the chance to compete at Bavarian Open?

Starostin seems the only one with real potential. He hast great basics, great musicality and is not hopeless on the tricks.

I totally agree, Starostin has great potential, I like his skating a lot! He has great spins (by far the best of all juniors) and posture and good speed and flow through the ice. But he has to work on the consistency of his jumps. But this will come with time, he is still very young.

J

Jeschke

Gurdzhi can still do another international competition which counts, he did 3 events already, but one of it was a JGP, the JGP's do count separately.
My mistake, I just counted those you listed, and did not pay attention you mentioned alpentrophy / inge solar, which was one event and counted 2 :wall:

sandra_persch

So its good they all get to do Bavarian Open :D
Do all pairs and dance team have the minimums by now?
We have 2 spots each. .... which likely will be down to zero all next season :(

J

Jeschke

So its good they all get to do Bavarian Open :D
We have 2 spots each. .... which likely will be down to zero all next season :(
Zero? Zero is not possible or? :D
Or do you speak of non-eligible teams and the teams eligible not able to get minimums?
But I agree and see all spots drop down to 1 :(

Pairs: T/K yes, R/S need SP min still
Dance: M/P and L/K yes. I only checked those, as I think they are pretty much guaranteed by now.

J

Jeschke

Robin Szolkowy is moving to US and will start coaching in Irvine/Los Angeles
https://www.freiepresse.de/sport/robin-szolkowy-zieht-es-in-die-usa-artikel10415069

Main facts:
- first conversations with US fed during olympics 2018
- new ice center there
- they (wife included) want to be there from the scratch
- working there with Jenni Meno/Todd Sand (who have SK/K there, funnily coached by Szolkwoys ex-partner before)
- not US teams only, Szolkowy's want it to be an international center
- he/they will do camps in europe still
- possibility for US camps for in Irvine for skaters from overseas
- project will last at least until 2022, but they are open to stay there for longer

Sunny231

Zero? Zero is not possible or? :D
Or do you speak of non-eligible teams and the teams eligible not able to get minimums?
But I agree and see all spots drop down to 1 :(

It's unfortunately very likely dropping to 1 spot in all categories. In ladies this is 100% sure for me, Marold and Eudine would both be already lucky if they survive the cut to the free skating.

In men the situation is similar, maybe a little better at least with Starostin, but I don't see him at all finishing up near the Top10, not even thinking about the other man:shuffle: and for holding on to 2 spots they would need at least to place 13th and 14th. That won't happen.

Ice Dance: I think M/P improved a lot compared to last season and I'm quite sure that they will place much higher than last season, but not in the Top10 and L/K are not good enough IMO to help them with their placement for the 2nd spot. But we will see.

I do have still hope for the pairs to hold on to 2 spots. If R/S get the technical minimum score done and are allowed to go together with T/K, they most likely will be able to hold on to the 2nd spot, they would only have to place 13th and 14th and last year there were only 17 pairs competing. R/S are quite promising IMO (they do need a triple throw though), fingers crossed that they get the minimum score done at Bavarian Open, I really want to see them at WJC!

seabm7

A question: How do I pronounce "Szolkowy"? I usually ignored "s", but the Korean version of google says ignore "z".

Thank you. So we ignore "s" and pronounce "z". Thank you!

Actually, in german it’s kinda reverse, so I was a little confused in the beginning 😁
The „z“ really is a hard sound and where there is a variety of „s“ sounds, a simple, single „s“ is usually pronounced softly. But in the end you’re right, it‘s „Szolkowy“ like „Zamboni“.

Here’s wishing him the best for his project, but I can’t help being sort of jealous of USFS.

How long is it that DEU has been dreaming of a pair skating centre?
And while they, if anything, are talking about it, USFS is taking action.

In contrast, DEU made no tangible progress in creating any system.
The latest I read about it is that Alex König is still waiting for the job he was promised.

So it’s quite understandable that Szolkowy is seeking greener pastures abroad, but with all the experience he gained internationally it’s such a shame that DEU was obviously neither really willing nor able to build on the abilities he has in order to (re-)develop german fs.

If you look at those coaching at the Stützpunkte, aka the few who are in a position to make a living from it, there are few to none with Szolkowy‘s competencies. How come DEU hasn’t even been able to vacate one of these positions for him as a gesture of good will as they fall short of their pledges?
I wonder how long König and later Savchenko will put up with it.

But it seems this is just one of many symptoms of deep structural problems.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

So, here we go again. Week two for Dancing on Ice.

After seeing Dytrt’s Playboy pics my non-skating friend thought Dytrt is close to her fifties but at least over forty. :shuffle:
As much as I love Dytrt, I have to agree, she looks kinda aged 🆘
But who cares! 35 is no 20 anymore.

I will try to do a little recap of the show later again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information