German Skating News - Season 2021/2022

Sylvia

TBD
Nolan Seegert update: https://twitter.com/DLF_Sport/status/1490550136145162243
"Figure skater Nolan Seegert tested positive for Corona at the Winter Olympics. Talking to @mjrieger
he seems quite patient in the quarantine hotel, although he urgently needs to train on the ice."
Feb. 6:

Quadjump

Siggi's and Hendryk's commentary at Men's olympic SP:

Hendryk said that after Chen's performance that he ll get 120 although it was impossible with a technical score around 65. Siggi Was of the opinion that the jugdes had given the PCS to Jason for free. This SP had not been impressive...

Well. It gets worse and worse.

MichaelK

Xela M

Aww poor Hase/Seegert. I felt for him. She was so lovely and supportive to him afterwards. Are they a couple?

Sabine-Yuna

Aww poor Hase/Seegert. I felt for him. She was so lovely and supportive to him afterwards. Are they a couple?
They are not a couple. She probably was expecting a meltdown like this. He barely makes it through a FS anyway without major mistakes, but after beeing in quarantine for so many days... If it wouldn't have been be the Olympics they probably would have skipped this competition. I'm glad she was never in danger falling down on a lift or so.

text_skate

Article on Hase / Seegert:

Excerpts, maschine translation:
Pair skating is an extremely artistic, strength-sapping discipline with complicated throws and triple jumps as well as lifts in which the partner has to let the partner rotate on her hands above her head, all in motion, in time to the music and on narrow skates. After four minutes, the skaters come off the ice exhausted, panting with exertion. "Everyone experiences it differently," says Seegert, "sometimes you have heavy legs afterwards, sometimes you can't breathe, sometimes you lose coordination, and if it hits you really bad, then the man with the hammer comes." And those are just strains on normal days. On Saturday, in the Olympic FS, he felt a mix of everything.

interesting bit about his time in c19 jail

The DOSB managed to organise a new room for him, plus an ergometer, which was delivered after a week, but Seegert did not use this either because he was "stringently rejected", as he recounted. His daily PCR tests showed fluctuating CT values, the quarantine doctors would have suspected a causal connection between cycling and viral load, the German doctors ruled this out. "But since I didn't want to mess with the hotel staff every day, I let it go."

Ususally the author of the article is reliable, in this piece OTOH she says H/S were 5th at Euros. Most likely she looked up the results of Euros 2 yrs ago

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
German Team for worlds has been announced

Janse van Rensburg & Steffan will be the dance entry

That's great! They deserve it after winning Nats! They gave Mueller/Dieck a strong fight for the Olympics spot.

Also, Nikita Starostin is their entry for Men.

text_skate

Why go back to Russia in this situation?
dpa, yesterday: https://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/e....urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-220301-99-340051

Russia has refused the pairs skaters Minerva Hase and Nolan Seegert as well as the ice dancers Katharina Müller and Tim Dieck entry for training.

"We have been informed of this by the German Armed Forces," Reinhard Ketterer, Vice President of Competitive Sports at the German Skating Union, told the Deutsche Presse-Agentur. Both pairs are in the Bundeswehr's sports promotion programme.

In response to a dpa enquiry, the Federal Ministry of Defence announced that it had decided on Tuesday to ban all male and female sports soldiers from taking part in trips as well as training and competitions in Russia and Belarus. The ban applies to activities that take place within the framework of their official duties. The ministry did not comment on the cancelled plan of the figure skaters.

GoneWithTheWind

Not sure if she technically still counts as part of German news, having been released to the U (competition-wise anyway), but here's some Aljona Savchenko news:

She has been named a Dutch national coach and head of the Dutch national figure skating training centre, with a contract that will last at least until mid-2024.

Article here (in Dutch, I used Google translate and it seemed fairly coherent): https://www.schaatsen.nl/nieuws/202...mpioene-savchenko-als-bondscoach-kunstrijden/

sus2850

No Janse/Steffan at worlds, sadly:

Sabine-Yuna

I know it's pretty late, but maybe M/D can step in.

text_skate

Oh no :wuzrobbed! Finally they secured a spot on the team, and then this. It's enough to make you jump out of your skin.

Sylvia

TBD
I know it's pretty late, but maybe M/D can step in.
The RD draw isn't until Thursday afternoon in Montpellier so there's still a chance, maybe?

Not sure if she technically still counts as part of German news, having been released to the U (competition-wise anyway), but here's some Aljona Savchenko news:

She has been named a Dutch national coach and head of the Dutch national figure skating training centre, with a contract that will last at least until mid-2024.
I didn't see your post until after I had created this GSD news thread last week (this info was also posted in the OES news thread):

alj5

I hope they consider staying in one more season. If Russian skaters still can't compete for next year's Euros, they would be strong contenders for a Euros medal/title.

Also, I just really love them.

Sabine-Yuna

I hope they consider staying in one more season. If Russian skaters still can't compete for next year's Euros, they would be strong contenders for a Euros medal/title.

Also, I just really love them.
Without their russian coach they'll probably can't keep that level or even improve. I think he is the important factor and it seems that working with him will be difficult in the next year(s).

alj5

Without their russian coach they'll probably can't keep that level or even improve. I think he is the important factor and it seems that working with him will be difficult in the next year(s).

Or hear me out - Robin Szolkowy returns to Germany and creates the next dynasty of European pairs fusing European, Russian, and a (very tiny) hint of American training methods/environments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information