U.S. Pairs 2018 - News & Updates, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleo1782

http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA

Updated International Assignments page. I wonder what Calalang/Johnson having 2 vs. Digerness/Neudecker having 1 means for that TBD spot. Also why do Denny/Frazier always go to Canada? They have the Autumn Classic and Skate Canada.

Coincidence? That D/F got Skate Canada so many times. This year probably because James/Cipres are going as well. D/F have never been high enough in the World to get any preference. Last year they went to the US Senior B in SLC not Autumn Classic.
Also, I cannot see Calalang/Johnson with 2 assignments. I only see the Autumn Classic. Am I missing something?

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Cain/LeDuc have a quick turnaround from U.S. Classic (Sept 12-16) to Nepala (Sept 19-22).

Looks like all the big names have an early senior B except Scimeca/Knierim and Kayne/O'Shea. So either they're getting Nebelhorn or Finlandia or they'll start their season at their respective GP events. Hope that Kayne/O'Shea's injuries are completely recovered and they'll be ready to compete this fall!

Senior teams in the ISP that haven't yet been assigned an international are Deardorff/Settlage and Smith/Reiss. Deardorff/Settlage competed pretty well at Skate Detroit and probably will get one of the next Senior Bs. I don't think Smith/Reiss have competed this summer.

RoseRed

Cain/LeDuc have a quick turnaround from U.S. Classic (Sept 12-16) to Nepala (Sept 19-22).

Looks like all the big names have an early senior B except Scimeca/Knierim and Kayne/O'Shea. So either they're getting Nebelhorn or Finlandia or they'll start their season at their respective GP events. Hope that Kayne/O'Shea's injuries are completely recovered and they'll be ready to compete this fall!

Senior teams in the ISP that haven't yet been assigned an international are Deardorff/Settlage and Smith/Reiss. Deardorff/Settlage competed pretty well at Skate Detroit and probably will get one of the next Senior Bs. I don't think Smith/Reiss have competed this summer.
I believe Aljona said SK/K will do Nebelhorn (maybe in the TSL interview?).

happycamper2554

Tarah and Danny went to Finlandia in 2016 and it wouldn't surprise me if they went again. Plus if S-K/K are going to Nebelhorn like Savchenko said, I wouldn't think they would put them head to head so early. Plus don't quote me, but I believe that I read the that last thing that they start working on when she's hurt is twist. So the fact that they've been working on it on it so much makes me optimistic that she's okay.

Cleo1782

Tarah and Danny went to Finlandia in 2016 and it wouldn't surprise me if they went again. Plus if S-K/K are going to Nebelhorn like Savchenko said, I wouldn't think they would put them head to head so early. Plus don't quote me, but I believe that I read the that last thing that they start working on when she's hurt is twist. So the fact that they've been working on it on it so much makes me optimistic that she's okay.

Maybe? K/O are still recovering from injury so they may just sit out the Senior B circuit or do Golden Spin later on. Just concentrate on their GP assignments. They probably need the extra time to rehab and practice. Not saying Tarah isn't better-just got a late start to the season. And them practicing a twist means nothing special. I believe K/O said the hardest thing for them to get back in timing was the twist not the last thing they start. Aljona mentioned Obersdorf for Alexa and Chris on TSL. I would assume that is where they are going.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Tarah and Danny have done Golden Spin before so they might just start their season with the GP and then do that before US Nats as they've done in past seasons. They've also done the SLC competition before but didn't get assigned that this year (they won that event in 2015). If I hear anything from them, I promise to share the update here. I'm working on getting some new things up on their website prior to the start of the GP season. :D

aftershocks

Banned Member
http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=84032&menu=TeamUSA

Updated International Assignments page. I wonder what Calalang/Johnson having 2 vs. Digerness/Neudecker having 1 means for that TBD spot. Also why do Denny/Frazier always go to Canada? They have the Autumn Classic and Skate Canada.

Yes, it's true that D/F have been assigned to Skate Canada quite often. But then D/F have only been seniors for five years, with a year off the ice due to Haven's freak knee injury. They won Junior Worlds in 2012. During 2013-14 season, D/F were assigned SC and NHK; during 2014-15 D/F competed at CoR and Skate America; Haven was recovering from injury in 2015-16; during their comeback in 2016-17 D/F went to SC and SA; and D/F repeated at SC and SA for the 2017-18 GP season. This season D/F are competing at TDF (France) and at Skate Canada, in addition to Autumn Classic.

For all we know, D/F enjoy competing at SC and may even ask for that assignment. Maybe especially over the last two seasons, perhaps they preferred not to travel too far due to Haven still not having been at full strength with her knee. The only way to find out for sure is to ask them.

As Cleo1782 already noted, Calalang/Johnson have only been assigned Autumn Classic so far.

happycamper2554

Yes, it's true that D/F have been assigned to Skate Canada quite often. But then D/F have only been seniors for five years, with a year off the ice due to Haven's freak knee injury. They won Junior Worlds in 2012. During 2013-14 season, D/F were assigned SC and NHK; during 2014-15 D/F competed at CoR and Skate America; Haven was recovering from injury in 2015-16; during their comeback in 2016-17 D/F went to SC and SA; and D/F repeated at SC and SA for the 2017-18 GP season. This season D/F are competing at TDF (France) and at Skate Canada, in addition to Autumn Classic.

For all we know, D/F enjoy competing at SC and may even ask for that assignment. Maybe especially over the last two seasons, perhaps they preferred not to travel too far due to Haven still not having been at full strength with her knee. The only way to find out for sure is to ask them.

As Cleo1782 already noted, Calalang/Johnson have only been assigned Autumn Classic so far.
Were Calalang and Johnson not originally assigned US classic. I feel like Cain and Leduc replaced them. I could be remembering wrong.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Okay, that's it, I'm crazy! :inavoid: How did I miss this announcement of Tarah/Danny's Sofi Tukker sp?
https://twitter.com/tarahkayne/status/1014868273526202368
I love Grant Hochstein's response to Tarah: "You're basically a celebrity"

And now TJ Nyman's recent cryptic tweet: "Legends Only" :COP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD3WOKLTRyQ
https://twitter.com/doshea213/status/1030982522031624192
Uh, Tarah and Danny ain't takin' no prisoners. Gettin' their branding/imaging and packaging down (rock those red tresses m' dear), while having raised their overall game every season all along, even despite the distracting injury woes. K/O's fp last season was seriously a MAJOR step forward. This off-season they lost no time working with the twist magician on improving their throw 3-twist, which looks much smoother, more technically proficient and confident.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmjoRXVl0j2/?hl=en&taken-by=coach.dalilah

If you compare the improvements K/O made to their twist in five weeks, with how it looked at 2018 4CCs, the difference is going to make an important difference in their marks. Now that their 3-twist flows better and the technique and entry are spot-on, they should be able to work on increasing height on the throw. But it really looks a lot better already compared to the 3-twists in their gold-medal winning performances at 4CCs: :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04lvP__N5Ao 4CCs sp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-avphCZGA3g 4CCs fp

The Knierims set the tone re upping the ante by immediately moving to work with a legendary pairs diva post-Worlds. Hopefully, Chris & Alexa will bring some sass and dash, in the process of improving all aspects of their skating. For that matter, it's looking like all U.S. pairs are planning to find and bring their A-game and then some...

Okay pairs fans, skating fans, the new season is shaping up to be something else... off the charts (despite all the shizz and utter sadness that's going on in the world). Stay focused figure skating athletes. Get your mojo on! :watch:

Sylvia

TBD
Kate Finster is 14 and Nagy just turned 20 so they have two more years of JGP eligibility.
Kate Finster and Balazs Nagy were recently added to USFS' ISP (I believe they got the ISP Junior score at Cup of Colorado last week) and so they could get assigned to the 4th and final JGP for pairs in Ostrava.

ETA:

Re-posting from the Champs Camp thread... Lynn Rutherford's article on Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier and their return to John Zimmerman's coaching group: http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.c...amp-2018-denney-frazier-hit-the-reset-button/
“I am more confident now,” Denney said. “Not just in the jumps, but with my overall skating. Silvia is a master of looking at the details, she has a great eye. We do a skating skills (class) with her for an hour each day, and it’s awesome.”
For programs, the pair turned to Charlie White, and the Olympic ice dance champion gave them all they could handle in a short program to David Cook’s version of “Billie Jean” and free skate to music from The Irrepressibles.
“I love working with Charlie, but all I know is when he started laying out the programs, I started laughing,” Frazier sad. “I said, “I don’t know how much you expect me to do.” But he has a way of breaking down the moves and telling you he knows you are capable.”
Technically, the pair is sharpening their throw triple flip, often working with associate coach Jeremy Barrett. All three coaches have worked with them to develop new lifts, and training with James and Cipres – both fine jumpers — has inspired them to work for more consistency in their own jumps, including their triple salchow, double axel sequence.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^^ I'm still waiting for the receipts, thank you very much. ;) Plus, Dave Lease needs to go away. Unfortunately, he's got TSL platform keeping him afloat. What was Jenny thinking leaving it to him to continue abusing in the first place?? :drama: Oh well, f' DL, that's for another sorry Sunday thread.

I'm excited for U.S. pairs (but I'm not interested in overly self-important TSL scoop poop).

Last edited:

Cleo1782

^^^ I'm still waiting for the receipts, thank you very much. ;) Plus, Dave Lease needs to go away. Unfortunately, he's got TSL platform keeping him afloat. What was Jenny thinking leaving it to him to continue abusing in the first place?? :drama: Oh well, f' DL, that's for another sorry Sunday thread.

I'm excited for U.S. pairs (but I'm not interested in overly self-important TSL scoop poop).

It's true information. Tarah and Danny will be taking from Dalilah as their head coach going forward.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It's true information. Tarah and Danny will be taking from Dalilah as their head coach going forward.

Thanks for responding @Cleo1782. I didn't doubt the likely veracity judging by the skaters' celebratory byplay (I'm just not in to TSL's self-important crapola). Still 'official receipts' rather than cryptic tweets are always more reliable and more satisfying to digest, at least for me. And now, me wonders whether this development weren't always in the works, or whether T&D and Dalilah got along so well, they just had to see more of each other. More than a measly five weeks, and way more than just a season's worth of together time. :lol:

Uh, and you say Dalilah is now 'head coach.' Does that mean JPcoach is still an advisor of sorts? Is it okay with him, no hard feelings and all that? Those that play together, stay together in spirit and in mutual respect, and all that? And wanting to see K/O reach the next level and go far, even if he isn't 'head coach' himself?

Last edited:

Cleo1782

Thanks for responding @Cleo1782. I didn't doubt the likely veracity judging by the skaters' celebratory byplay. But still 'official receipts' rather than cryptic tweets are always more reliable and more satisfying to digest, at least for me. And now, me wonders whether this development weren't always in the works, or whether T&D and Dalilah got along so well, they just had to see more of each other. More than a measly five weeks, and way more than just a season's worth of together time. :lol:

I am sure there will be an official statement soon. I prefer not to speak for anyone involved except to confirm it is true info. It is of note that Jim Peterson was with them at Champs Camp, so I would say it wasn't in the works always. Nothing shady or deceitful was involved. Sometimes circumstances just change.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I am sure there will be an official statement soon. I prefer not to speak for anyone involved except to confirm it is true info. It is of note that Jim Peterson was with them at Champs Camp, so I would say it wasn't in the works always. Nothing shady or deceitful was involved. Sometimes circumstances just change.

Thank you so much @Cleo1782. I totally understand, and I don't intend to make light of this development. Certainly, it's always possible for things to change, especially in this quicksilver, fast as lightning-speed sport. It seems to me that everyone involved went into the initial arrangement with sincerity, and with the singular objective of helping Tarah/Danny to improve/excel, and thereby helping U.S. pairs to improve as well. In that same spirit, I'm sure nothing happened of a deceitful nature. I would never expect that of any of the individuals involved. I'm sure JPcoach still has K/O's best interests in mind always, no matter what.

Sometimes working with others who have expertise does lend itself to changes down the road. Another situation that comes to mind is when Denney/Frazier desired to switch to Ingo Steuer after having the opportunity of working with him, while being coached by John Z. And now D/F are back with John Z, due to a variety of unforeseen circumstances. Everyone's goal has to be doing what's best for them to improve and to access every advantage in a sport that has a narrow, nearly non-existent window of opportunity.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I will refrain from making a snide comment about exactly how annoyed I am that TSL announced that news before Tarah & Danny (or even USFS) could and FYI, they're both disappointed that they didn't get to announce their own coaching change for themselves as well. I hate this mentality of "I have to announce things first" that seems to permeate on social media these days. :wall:

Anyway, Tarah & Danny were planning to share this news themselves next week along with the USFS issuing a statement and they still plan to do that. I was informed so that I could be prepared to update their website when they were ready and also because they didn't want me to hear the news from anyone else (thanks for ruining that TSL :mad:). I'm not going to say more than that, I'd rather let Tarah & Danny have their opportunity to explain their decision, but it sounds like it was amicable for everyone involved and that there are no hard feelings. I promise to post the link to their blog and the USFS statement as soon as I get the information. I wish them nothing but the best and I am very hopeful that they're going to have a great season. :cheer:

Cleo1782

My apologies to them if they didnt want the news spread. Wishing them much health and sucess this season.

Well, I am sure this is something they wanted to share themselves. Especially since TSL only said Tarah and Danny to Dalilah without any clarifying comment. It's a very personal decision and TSL just exposed it. I am sure T/D want to give due respect to the coach that brought them together and helped them win a National title and a 4cc title and share their excitement for the future. It's a shame, but it is what it is.
I get TSL wants to prove they have the inside track and the 'gossip', but I am sure quite a few people knew and kept quite to respect the decision until it was out like this.
The most important thing to me is to wish T/D the best this season!

Sylvia

TBD
I don't think Smith/Reiss have competed this summer.
Correct. From what I know, Erika Smith was dealing with a wrist injury this past season which required surgery after 2018 Nationals. Dalilah Sappenfield posted this video of them practicing a throw 3S in July: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlluG8SAEET/?taken-by=coach.dalilah

On a positive note, Erika and AJ have been in Florida "working the last few weeks" with John Kerr, according to his IG: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm7FRIaF9n_/?taken-by=johnkerrsk8er

skatingguy

decently
If you don't want to be quoted, then don't post on a discussion board that anyone with an Internet connection can read.
A little out of context perhaps.
Plus don't quote me, but I believe that I read the that last thing that they start working on when she's hurt is twist. So the fact that they've been working on it on it so much makes me optimistic that she's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information