FIFA World Cup 2018

SamuraiK

I never see the point of the 3rd/4th play off - both teams are heartbroken at not making the final and really couldn't care less about that game. Will both teams put out their subs again!!

The podium must be complete. That's the reasoning at least, though I agree when it comes to football is gold or nothing.

ilovepaydays

I thought Elizabeth I was considered your best/most iconic monarch or maybe that's too feminist for World Cup? :D

Not sure about Elizabeth I - but I believe Henry V was the king that invaded France and ruled over it for a time. Was it the Hundred Years War?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
3 v 4 should be replaced with an all-star match, without all-stars from final teams, of course.

Logistics, logistics...but still, it would be cool!

Vagabond

I thought Elizabeth I was considered your best/most iconic monarch or maybe that's too feminist for World Cup? :D
Elizabeth I is an inspiration for fighting off the Spaniards, but she is not so inspirational when it comes to fighting off the French. In fact, she considered marrying one or another of them.

I believe Henry V was the king that invaded France and ruled over it for a time. Was it the Hundred Years War?
Here's some background information. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Years'_War

Henry V is most famous for winning at Agincourt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt

libecha

Elizabeth I is an inspiration for fighting off the Spaniards, but she is not so inspirational when it comes to fighting off the French. In fact, she considered marrying one or another of them.

Here's some background information. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_Years'_War

Henry V is most famous for winning at Agincourt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Agincourt

She was also sent a marriage proposal by Ivan IV (the Terrible). Can you imagine the ripple effects of THAT union?

Not to go off on a tangent or anything.

SamuraiK

Not sure about Elizabeth I - but I believe Henry V was the king that invaded France and ruled over it for a time. Was it the Hundred Years War?

Ok I see. Elizabeth I is definetly more well known in Latin America than Henry V but yeah he's more important when it comes to fighting against the "evil french " :p

They don't do a podium for the World Cup though.

But they do give them the bronze medals after the 3rd-4th play off match and most of the time the 3rd place team is happy enough with that consolation prize.

Vagabond

She was also sent a marriage proposal by Ivan IV (the Terrible). Can you imagine the ripple effects of THAT union?
It never would have happened. She had too many reports that he would have been terrible for her. :scream:

MsZem

I see the sea
Well, since I'm probably the only Croatian on the board, I forgive you all ;)
I was on your side yesterday! Mostly because I found "it's coming home" to be really annoying, but still ;)

TBH I don't care much about football/soccer, and the highlight of the World Cup for me was being in Belgium when they won a match, which was very entertaining. The local supporters certainly made excellent use of a lot of local beer.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

MsZem

I see the sea
I’m trying to think of a more annoying song. Maybe “Vindaloo”....... Football “songs” in general are just :scream:
It's better than vuvuzelas, at least.

The other highlight of the World Cup was the Anglophile Israeli journalists getting into Twitter wars with their Francophile colleagues. Naturally I found the latter more persuasive.

Hindernisse

I was lucky to be there at the semi-final yesterday. Singing of the English fans was the highlight. Although I am happy for Luka Modric who is one of the best midfielders in the world today (and he plays for Real Madrid :cheer2:) I cannot get behind Croatia as a team. Too many players whose behavior is unsportsmanlike.

Since Saturday, all the teams I was rooting for lost. Russia, Belgium, England (I don't have strong feeling for the Three Lions, just had to root for someone yesterday). That probably means Croatia will win the World Cup on Sunday. Allez les Bleus!

libecha

Referee for the final will be Nestor Pitana of Argentina. He previously refereed RUS-KSA, FRA-URU, and CRO-DEN. The fact that both teams in the final have had him already and neither objected to the assignment probably played heavily into this selection.

quartz

scratching at the light
Our local radio station has just announced that the Croatian Church has changed it’s mass time on Sunday from it’s usual 11:00am (when the final is on in our time zone), to 9:30am, so everyone is expected to NOT MISS MASS, because of the game. :D

ETA.... The Croatian soccer club is only mile up the road from the church, and everyone was told to meet there after mass - they are normally a pretty excitable bunch, so it’s going to be absolute mayhem there on Sunday. :kickass:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 40371

It's currently number 2 of the UK singles chart and has a very strong possibility to be number one later today when the chart is done :rofl:
Few tears need to be shed at the plight of brits...

D

Deleted member 40371

I kind of feel like i'm stuck in that Family Guy episode where Peter is obsessed with Surfin' Bird. But it has calmed down a bit since Wednesday.
I know how you feel, it was me in India with the bl**dy sport called Cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information